Mike Evans Stat Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Mike Evans Stat Tracker

Post by Bootz »

I wonder what their GM would think about this....
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He loves the area. He loves the fans. He has roots here for a decade. I would guess Licht will tell him test the free agent market and we will match or give you a better offer like he has in the past. I think he will come back as Licht will sign him. Probably with a bigger signing bonus to help with cap space next year with all the free agents we need to pay. I think he will be back. He won a super bowl. It's not like he wants to chase a ring and NE really?
Snake

Post by Snake »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:30 pm He loves the area. He loves the fans. He has roots here for a decade. I would guess Licht will tell him test the free agent market and we will match or give you a better offer like he has in the past. I think he will come back as Licht will sign him. Probably with a bigger signing bonus to help with cap space next year with all the free agents we need to pay. I think he will be back. He won a super bowl. It's not like he wants to chase a ring and NE really?
He wants paid. I really think it’s that simple. Mike and his people had a number. Jason didn’t agree with it.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I thought he'd be gone because, well, two things: 1. He wants to get paid. He likes the area and the whole start/finish same team concept, from what I understand, but also not enough to do a hometown discount, from what I also understand. We'll be hard pressed to throw money around, especially when we're about to very gladly let Wirfs set the new bar for tackles.

2. I assume he is chasing the Hall at this point. I thought that would be a big negative for us, but the fact that he's working on a career year with Baker gives me hope. Maybe even negated concern 2. We just need to figure out 1.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 pm I thought he'd be gone because, well, two things: 1. He wants to get paid. He likes the area and the whole start/finish same team concept, from what I understand, but also not enough to do a hometown discount, from what I also understand. We'll be hard pressed to throw money around, especially when we're about to very gladly let Wirfs set the new bar for tackles.

2. I assume he is chasing the Hall at this point. I thought that would be a big negative for us, but the fact that he's working on a career year with Baker gives me hope. Maybe even negated concern 2. We just need to figure out 1.
Could very well be direction of the team too. Both for the Bucs and him. If Bowles/Licht/Canales/Baker stay on there's a pretty good chance they keep Mike in one way or another.

If we're going new regime, new coach, new QB, etc. there's a pretty good chance he won't want to be here nor would we want to sign an aging WR to an expensive extension.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I get he's aging, I do, but he's having a career years. I can't help but to feel Evans has more than enough high level seasons in him for another contract. His game ages well and plenty of WRs have gone on to play well into their 30s.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm I get he's aging, I do, but he's having a career years. I can't help but to feel Evans has more than enough high level seasons in him for another contract. His game ages well and plenty of WRs have gone on to play well into their 30s.
I just think you need to objectively look at when we'll be competitive again and if he'll still be productive at that point. You have to think the best he'll get is a 3 year deal. Are the Bucs truly competing for a Super Bowl at that point? If not then you can't really justify a contract extension.

If we're just talking nostalgia and Buc for Life type stuff and we don't care about roster construction or winning down the line then great. Give him what he wants. If he's looking for 3 years and $80M I just think it's a bad idea in terms of future.

Julio Jones is a great comparison player to look at. He hit the wall at 31 and dealt with similar soft tissue injuries.

Playing well into his 30's and living up to a mega-contract are two different things. I don't think Mike can reinvent himself the way Larry Fitzgerald did. He moved inside and took a beating in his early 30's. Maybe he can?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:16 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm I get he's aging, I do, but he's having a career years. I can't help but to feel Evans has more than enough high level seasons in him for another contract. His game ages well and plenty of WRs have gone on to play well into their 30s.
I just think you need to objectively look at when we'll be competitive again and if he'll still be productive at that point. You have to think the best he'll get is a 3 year deal. Are the Bucs truly competing for a Super Bowl at that point? If not then you can't really justify a contract extension.

If we're just talking nostalgia and Buc for Life type stuff and we don't care about roster construction or winning down the line then great. Give him what he wants. If he's looking for 3 years and $80M I just think it's a bad idea in terms of future.

Julio Jones is a great comparison player to look at. He hit the wall at 31 and dealt with similar soft tissue injuries.

Playing well into his 30's and living up to a mega-contract are two different things. I don't think Mike can reinvent himself the way Larry Fitzgerald did. He moved inside and took a beating in his early 30's. Maybe he can?
Jones has also had multiple foot injuries all the ways back to the combine. He's also had surgeries on his feet including having screws put in. This is not soft tissue damage in Jones's case, these are serious injuries
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jerry Rice, the greatest WR in league history, was released by the Niners and continued his career elsewhere. Evans staying here isn't a guarantee.

Sentimental feelings are nice and all but at the end of the day the NFL is a business. If the Bucs feel it's in their best interests to move on from Evans, they will. If he feels it's in his best interests to move on, he will.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Do I think we're going to be competitive in the upcoming 3 years?

You bet your sweet ass.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Thanks, I've been working out.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

@Doctor, why did you feel the truth needed a down vote?
truth.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Because Noctor believes the Buccaneers will be contenders in the next three seasons, and thus, Evans will be very useful here.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:28 am Because Noctor believes the Buccaneers will be contenders in the next three seasons, and thus, Evans will be very useful here.
Some people believe there's freedom and equality in America. Doesn't make it true.
Don't tread on me