Time to fire Todd Bowles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Dcbucsfan

Re: Time to fire Todd Bowles

Post by Dcbucsfan »

I don’t trust Bowles or Licht to draft a QB, let alone, a good one or the right one. I was in Licht’s corner and now, sadly, we really need a reset in the organization to turn this around. We have some really good young pieces. Now we need the right coaching staff and gm to get us there.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:28 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm Knee jerk much? It was a hard fought division match. Bills just lost the the 1-5 Pats. Take a deep breath.
After over a month my knee might have jerked in the correct direction, heh? Two more losses WEEKS and Bowles will have led this team to another losing season.
Fixed it for you.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Can the Bucs defeat the Panthers next week with Mayfield as the QB?
Snake

Post by Snake »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:17 pm Can the Bucs defeat the Panthers next week with Mayfield as the QB?
Bucs should win that game.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Looks like we might get a mid-season firing despite the Glazer's history.

Could be an interesting day tomorrow.
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

If he does get fired, who replaces him? Canales is still trying to be an OC. Who is interim?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:32 pm If he does get fired, who replaces him? Canales is still trying to be an OC. Who is interim?
Arians? Harold Goodwin? Tom Moore?
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:44 pm Looks like we might get a mid-season firing despite the Glazer's history.

Could be an interesting day tomorrow.
The tweet went nowhere. There's nothing on that site which has anything on this other than "at the end of the season".

Click bait to the max.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'll say this Again, Baker Mayfield is not the problem. Todd Bowles is.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:36 am I'll say this Again, Baker Mayfield is not the problem. Todd Bowles is.
He's not the solution, either. He's a fringe starter with very little upside who has consistently made big mistakes throughout his career. He belongs on the 2024 Bucs like Josh McCown belonged on the 2015 Bucs.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:48 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:36 am I'll say this Again, Baker Mayfield is not the problem. Todd Bowles is.
He's not the solution, either. He's a fringe starter with very little upside who has consistently made big mistakes throughout his career. He belongs on the 2024 Bucs like Josh McCown belonged on the 2015 Bucs.
I don't disagree with your premise, but Mayfield maybe a little closer to Jeff Garcia and Ryan Fitzpatrick than he is to Josh McCown.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

In the game against the Colts the Bucs were 1-3 in the redzone, while the Colts were 3-5. So not only were the Bucs unable to score in the red zone, they didn't even get into the red zone very often. And one time they got into the red zone it was because of an interception that gave the Bucs a short field. Mayfield will always do just enough in a game for people to say that Mayfield was not the problem. Sorry, but Mayfield is a big part of the problem that has led the Bucs to a losing record while playing one of the softest schedules in the NFL.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I have called for us to think about replacing position coaches but I don't think I've meddled with the head coach. So! When Bryan Glazer looks at Bruce Arians and says find me a head coach - who would it be?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:45 am I have called for us to think about replacing position coaches but I don't think I've meddled with the head coach. So! When Bryan Glazer looks at Bruce Arians and says find me a head coach - who would it be?
I want a leader. I do not care if they've never been a coordinator, what tree they come from, whatever. Give me someone who is a leader and will hold people accountable. I don't care if they're a "player's coach" or a mans' man, or a tap dancing globe trotter...give me a leader of men.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:38 am
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:45 am I have called for us to think about replacing position coaches but I don't think I've meddled with the head coach. So! When Bryan Glazer looks at Bruce Arians and says find me a head coach - who would it be?
I want a leader. I do not care if they've never been a coordinator, what tree they come from, whatever. Give me someone who is a leader and will hold people accountable. I don't care if they're a "player's coach" or a mans' man, or a tap dancing globe trotter...give me a leader of men.

Are you grasping in the dark, I've been getting a read on the group and darkness is at the center of it. Is money the factor that convinces someone to want to come here? power? I'm fine with a bright chance so come up with who that is.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:59 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:38 am

Are you grasping in the dark, I've been getting a read on the group and darkness is at the center of it. Is money the factor that convinces someone to want to come here? power? I'm fine with a bright chance so come up with who that is.
2024 Future Head Coaching Candidates
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

IDK...Aaron Glenn of Mike McDonald.

...or we could give this fanbase what it has seemingly begged for for two decades and go Rich Bisaccia.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

thx
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 am IDK...Aaron Glenn of Mike McDonald.

...or we could give this fanbase what it has seemingly begged for for two decades and go Rich Bisaccia.
Brian Johnson OC Eagles:
“I like everything about him as a coach and as a player,” Kyle Whittingham, the revered head coach at Utah, tells me. “Competitive. Intelligent. Charismatic. Alpha dog mentality. He’s a leader of leaders. As soon as I had the opportunity to hire him as an assistant coach, I did so.”
Whittingham got Johnson as a player and says that by the first football game of his freshman year, he was qualified to be the starter. “Very rare,” Whittingham says, noting that one of Johnson’s strengths was transferring that quiet confidence to his players.

Johnson is in his first year as the Eagles’ offensive coordinator, replacing current Colts head coach Shane Steichen. Johnson, 36, came up through the college ranks with Utah and spent a handful of years with Dan Mullen at Mississippi State and Florida. Mullen was, for a time, on some NFL radars.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:14 am In the game against the Colts the Bucs were 1-3 in the redzone, while the Colts were 3-5. So not only were the Bucs unable to score in the red zone, they didn't even get into the red zone very often. And one time they got into the red zone it was because of an interception that gave the Bucs a short field. Mayfield will always do just enough in a game for people to say that Mayfield was not the problem. Sorry, but Mayfield is a big part of the problem that has led the Bucs to a losing record while playing one of the softest schedules in the NFL.
12th softest schedule per Tankathon and we haven't even played the Panthers twice yet, so no we probably played 16th to 18th at this point of the season
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

One thing forgotten from the chaotic loss was Bowles refusing to throw the challenge flag when Evans was begging Bowles to throw it after the refs ruled an Evans catch as an incompletion. Bucs were down 10 mid 4th qtr at that point. It was just a play after that Bowles had the offense attempt a 4th down conversion and luckily we did.

That refusal to trust in his best player who also is a team captain is confusing as hell.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:07 pm One thing forgotten from the chaotic loss was Bowles refusing to throw the challenge flag when Evans was begging Bowles to throw it after the refs ruled an Evans catch as an incompletion. Bucs were down 10 mid 4th qtr at that point. It was just a play after that Bowles had the offense attempt a 4th down conversion and luckily we did.

That refusal to trust in his best player who also is a team captain is confusing as hell.
Didn't we score a TD on that drive?

Look Bowles has his issues but this is cherry picking. If it wasn't clear and obvious then you don't throw the flag. Especially at that point in the game.
Most hated man in America.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:53 am
Jonny wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:07 pm One thing forgotten from the chaotic loss was Bowles refusing to throw the challenge flag when Evans was begging Bowles to throw it after the refs ruled an Evans catch as an incompletion. Bucs were down 10 mid 4th qtr at that point. It was just a play after that Bowles had the offense attempt a 4th down conversion and luckily we did.

Look Bowles has his issues but this is cherry picking. If it wasn't clear and obvious then you don't throw the flag. Especially at that point in the game.
Yes, we converted on the 4th down right after that so called "incompletion" and scored a TD on that drive. Let's say we did not convert on 4th down and came up empty on that possession, would you still think it is understandable for Bowles to not have challenged on that play?

I get the skepticism if Evans is arguing with the refs. It is not uncommon for players to argue to the refs in bad faith to get a favorable call. But Evans from the get go was looking at Bowles and emphatically pleading Bowles to challenge. There was not a single replay that showed the ball hitting the ground. I'm glad we got lucky on that drive, but it is not good game management.

Success on following plays should not excuse mismanagement on that specific play.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:03 pm

Yes, we converted on the 4th down right after that so called "incompletion" and scored a TD on that drive. Let's say we did not convert on 4th down and came up empty on that possession, would you still think it is understandable for Bowles to not have challenged on that play?

I get the skepticism if Evans is arguing with the refs. It is not uncommon for players to argue to the refs in bad faith to get a favorable call. But Evans from the get go was looking at Bowles and emphatically pleading Bowles to challenge. There was not a single replay that showed the ball hitting the ground. I'm glad we got lucky on that drive, but it is not good game management.

Success on following plays should not excuse mismanagement on that specific play.
I don't recall the catch/incompletion so I'd have to take your word for it. If you think there was a good chance it could've been overturned then I get it. But if it was close, then I can't fault him not throwing the challenge there.

Evans getting emotional shouldn't wager in the decision to challenge or not.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

It didn't show it hit the ground, but there was no clear angle that it didn't hit the ground. To overturn you need irrefutable proof. That was not provided. They took their time snapping the ball. I am sure to see if there was a clear angle. There wasn't
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I was pissed he didn't challenge it at the time, and would have been more so had they not converted. However, I doubt it would have been overturned. There wasn't a replay I saw that showed he had complete control without it on the ground.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

More sources are starting to say the things many of us have already seen:

PR:
There is just something off about this year’s Bucs team. It reminds me so much of Raheem Morris’ final season in Tampa Bay in 2011. The Bucs came off a promising 10-6 season in 2010 and started the next year 4-2 before losing 10 straight games in a total free-fall that led to Morris’ departure. The players loved Morris and played hard for him, but he didn’t hold them accountable enough to fix the team’s constant mistakes.

We’re seeing the same thing happen with year’s Todd Bowles team. They play hard. They like him. They don’t quit. But they aren’t held accountable enough to fix their mistakes and the losses continue to mount.

Despite the playoffs being well within reach, this team has to win at least five of the next six games to get to 9-8 and in position for the postseason, and where is the evidence that the Bucs can pull that off?
Yeah, playoffs are a pipe dream except the other division teams suck too. This is not a sign of a good football team. This is not a sign of a good head coach.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don’t know if it’s accountability or if the team just isn’t good.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Snake wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm I don’t know if it’s accountability or if the team just isn’t good.
I think the team is at least good enough to have a comfortable lead within the conference. Especially on defense I feel like we underachieve by design and not as much because of lack of talent.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:38 am ...give me a leader of men.
paging Doug Williams
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

And it is no way to build trust with arguably your best player and a poor model to the team of your leadership and having their back.
I said what I said

Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:54 pm

And it is no way to build trust with arguably your best player and a poor model to the team of your leadership and having their back.

Mike is a great WR but soft as a baby's ass. He comes out after almost any catch or hit. In his earlier seasons he was crying for a flag on every other play while pushing off. Coaches have a team to look at replays. If all coaches just let players dictate whether or not they challenge plays then fans would be saying the opposite. What a soft coach letting players run all over them. Doing whatever the players want. I am not excusing Bowles but I think that there is a logical misstep happening.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I wouldn’t go as far as to call the man soft. He gets winded after deep routes and does tap the helmet after big hits. But, soft? No, don’t think I’d say that to his face.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Mike was definitely soft early in his career. He'd let his big ass get bullied hoping to get a flag. Eventually he learned he wasn't going to get many and started to go for the catch rather than the flag. Though there are moments when that behavior drips back into his game.

As for the challenge, we got booth people watching replays and advising no? I agree I think it was a catch but also not overturnable based on the videos shown.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Yea soft is a bit too strong. He's very tough. But he is fragile though.