Time to fire Todd Bowles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

Time to fire Todd Bowles

Post by 13F11B »

This game was awful. Bowles is the reason. Time for him to be fired.
Snake

Re: Time to fire Todd Bowles

Post by Snake »

I mean yeah, he sucks.

He coached alongside Byron Leftwich for years and didn’t have the nuts or the knowledge to tell Licht to get him out of there before 2022.

Rams loss in 2021.

His entire Jets career.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

I'd live to see somebody tackle, besides Windfield and David. These guys need help. Instead, let the other guys wander around crossing the 1st down markets with nobody around.
Push the damned button already!
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I am done with Bowles. Fire the moron by 6 PM today.
NeezDuts

Post by NeezDuts »

FIRE BOWLES CANALES AND BAKER
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Knee jerk much? It was a hard fought division match. Bills just lost the the 1-5 Pats. Take a deep breath.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Todd Bowles is leading a team that I feel is underwhelming, and ultimately the buck stops with him.

The defense is playing pretty good all things considered and that's not nothing, but the offense is straight balls week in and week out. I said it in the gamethread today that without Mike Evans our offense would average 6 points per game. I was half-joking at the time, but I think there's truth to that.

I wouldn't fire Bowles today. The season is too young and his side of the ball is playing well. But we HAVE TO change things up on offense or we are done this season.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I don't understand why suddenly the board is so angry with Bowles. We don't have a roster ready to compete. Way too many JAGs on the team and some plainly bad players getting many snaps.

We are who we thought we were before the season started.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Cheb wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:11 pm Todd Bowles is leading a team that I feel is underwhelming, and ultimately the buck stops with him.

The defense is playing pretty good all things considered and that's not nothing, but the offense is straight balls week in and week out. I said it in the gamethread today that without Mike Evans our offense would average 6 points per game. I was half-joking at the time, but I think there's truth to that.

I wouldn't fire Bowles today. The season is too young and his side of the ball is playing well. But we HAVE TO change things up on offense or we are done this season.
I would have never allowed Bowles to become a head coach. I think he is decent as a DC despite hating his defensive style of play. He is an awful head coach. Keeping him around will not help us. He does nothing right. Period.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Because it's game day. Emotions are high.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Jonny wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:12 pm I don't understand why suddenly the board is so angry with Bowles. We don't have a roster ready to compete. Way too many JAGs on the team and some plainly bad players getting many snaps.

It's not sudden. I have never liked Bowles. When the Buccaneers started winning this year I thought perhaps I was wrong, but after the last three games and the lack of adjustments, I am seeing... well... Bowles SUCKS.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nothing Todd Bowles has ever done would suggest that he should be kept around as HC after this season.
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

The defense has played well this year. They held Atlanta to 16 points today, that should be enough to win in the NFL.

Meanwhile our offense gets worse every week. Canales is our biggest problem.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:15 pm Nothing Todd Bowles has ever done would suggest that he should be kept around as HC after this season.
Agreed. He had a history that strongly indicated he should NOT have been a head coach. Bruce hand-picked him and the Glazers were in a bod spot with the timing of everything.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

There are a lot of games left to play, but this isn't 2020. When the season is over, we'll see what the owners do. Maybe they'll make a change, maybe not. Right now I don't even care.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Xandtar wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:20 pm There are a lot of games left to play, but this isn't 2020. When the season is over, we'll see what the owners do. Maybe they'll make a change, maybe not. Right now I don't even care.
There are. However, I truly feel trading a few people away and firing Bowles might help with a fast turn around. Bowles is a 6-10 to 10-7 buy at best. he coaches a frustrating style of 'not to lose' that is no fun to watch and he has little chance of ever being great.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm Knee jerk much? It was a hard fought division match. Bills just lost the the 1-5 Pats. Take a deep breath.
Yeah, because it’s just one game why people don’t like Bowles, not the 6.5 (going on 7) years of failure as an NFL HC.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm Knee jerk much? It was a hard fought division match. Bills just lost the the 1-5 Pats. Take a deep breath.
No. I did not want Bowles as the DC. I did not want Bowles as the HC. I thought with some wins to start the season this year I might have been wrong. I am not knee-jerking. Bowles is a middle-of-the-road DC with a mentality of play not to lose.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

The time to fire Bowles was about this same time LAST season. We'd probably have lost the division title, and the opportunity to lose to the Cowboys in the Wild Card game.

But that's water under bridge, as this will be as our team limps in to a third-place finish in the NFC South.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Jonny wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:12 pm I don't understand why suddenly the board is so angry with Bowles. We don't have a roster ready to compete. Way too many JAGs on the team and some plainly bad players getting many snaps.

To be fair most of us wanted him gone after last season.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

13F11B wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:34 pm This game was awful. Bowles is the reason. Time for him to be fired.
Who you gonna hire? Bill Belechik?
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

We are putting way too much on Baker and the passing game. Whatever is the reason, the line or the backs or both, Canales need a run game to open up the playbook.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

His incompetence would be easier to swallow if he was at least articulate, had a personality and didn’t always look like he is taking a perpetual shit.

Unfortunately we are stuck with him for at least another year. Bowles isn’t HBC material, never was.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

_MB_ wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:49 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:34 pm This game was awful. Bowles is the reason. Time for him to be fired.
Who you gonna hire? Bill Belechik?
No. Bill is a better coach, but he is to close to the end to be worth the hire. Not Pete Carol either.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:56 pm We are putting way too much on Baker and the passing game. Whatever is the reason, the line or the backs or both, Canales need a run game to open up the playbook.
I get that and I agree. But Bowles is not solely the DC, he's the head coach, and our offensive flaws ultimately fall on his head.

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe hiring a firstime playcaller with no experience in the running game in any capacity was not the correct choice to fix the run game. It sure as shit is looking that way, in any case.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Cheb wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:58 pm
Dcbucsfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:56 pm We are putting way too much on Baker and the passing game. Whatever is the reason, the line or the backs or both, Canales need a run game to open up the playbook.
I get that and I agree. But Bowles is not solely the DC, he's the head coach, and our offensive flaws ultimately fall on his head.

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe hiring a firstime playcaller with no experience in the running game in any capacity was not the correct choice to fix the run game. It sure as shit is looking that way, in any case.
Yep. Bowles has had a hand or voice in many of the drafts. He has input in FA signings. He is in charge. Ultimately, the team's failure rests on his shoulders. I personally think the issue is more the play-not-to-lose mentality.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:58 pm

Maybe instead of giving Jamel Dean 60 million dollars we could have used that money on upgrading the run game. Bowles is the one directing the resources from the offense to the defense, the run game has been historically bad in both of his years running the team. It’s 100% on him.
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Yes agreed. I still this Canales is the right guy. What he wants to call for runs doesn’t match the rb’s or line that we have. I much rather see more screens white catching with the occasional run just to keep them honest. His playbook needs a run game.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Go get Henry
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Buccaneers running backs aren’t great. But there’s very often nowhere to run, regardless. Putting Henry in there won’t change that fact.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

We don't have cap space and are a partially dismantled Superbowl champion being held together by JAG's super glue and duct tape. Relax folks. We knew we weren't winning a super bowl.

$75 million in dead cap is biting our ass because we can't afford better talent
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:02 pm We don't have cap space and are a partially dismantled Superbowl champion being held together by JAG's super glue and duct tape. Relax folks. We knew we weren't winning a super bowl.

The players failing right now are draft picks. $75 million in dead cap space is not an issue for them. Bad drafting and bad player development are the likely issues.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:28 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:02 pm We don't have cap space and are a partially dismantled Superbowl champion being held together by JAG's super glue and duct tape. Relax folks. We knew we weren't winning a super bowl.

The players failing right now are draft picks. $75 million in dead cap space is not an issue for them. Bad drafting and bad player development are the likely issues.
I’d say bad player development over bad drafting.
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

wesmon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:19 pm The defense has played well this year. They held Atlanta to 16 points today, that should be enough to win in the NFL.

Meanwhile our offense gets worse every week. Canales is our biggest problem.
Mayfield is the biggest problem.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

13F11B wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:28 pm

I agree to a point. Three years in a row our top pick was used on the defensive front and we struggle to get pressure without blitzing. Kancey does look like a win, but JTS and Hall are massive flops.

I think the main issue is that the defense is getting most of our resources because the HC is a defensive guy. Paying Dean when were already paying Carlton and have a decaying offense was a stupid move. We traded a solid veteran offensive lineman away for nothing to get the space to overpay Dean and then just went cheap filling out the offense with Mayfield, Feiler and Edmonds.

If we wanted to compete this year, we needed to prioritize the offense after what we saw last year. Instead Bowles ignored the problem and prioritized his defense because he arrogantly believes his defense is good enough to carry the team to glory. Instead the defense is being wasted on a historically bad running game that could have been adresssed.