Week 7 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Week 7 Discussion

Post by Bootz »

Dolphins vs Eagles is a prime matchup this week. That Dolphins offense vs this Eagles D should be fun to watch.
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Re: Week 7 Discussion

Post by 13F11B »

Too bad the source used doesn't show bye week teams.

Panthers, Bengals, Cowboys, Texans, Jets, and Titans.

Jacksonville vs New Orleans will be an interesting watch as well. Jacksonville has been hot, but I think the Saints match up well. I hope the Saints lose this one (I hate the Saints).
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:50 am Too bad the source used doesn't show bye week teams.

Panthers, Bengals, Cowboys, Texans, Jets, and Titans.

Jacksonville vs New Orleans will be an interesting watch as well. Jacksonville has been hot, but I think the Saints match up well. I hope the Saints lose this one (I hate the Saints).
Hopefully Trevor Lawrence is able to play. He has a knee injury and they don't know yet if he'll be able to go.

A lot of QBs and top players got injured this past week. Very physical week 6 for the NFL.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Goedeke being seen as the best of his draft class at tackle for anything is not what I would have had on my bingo card...

https://x.com/austingayle_/status/17140 ... 67149?s=20
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Somehow, Julio Jones has returned. Just signed with the Eagles. I’m genuinely shocked an NFL team is actually giving him another shot after the tape he put up the last two years.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:36 pm Goedeke being seen as the best of his draft class at tackle for anything is not what I would have had on my bingo card...

Just goes to prove that asking a dude to change positions from their college position is not a recipe for success.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:03 pm Somehow, Julio Jones has returned. Just signed with the Eagles. I’m genuinely shocked an NFL team is actually giving him another shot after the tape he put up the last two years.
That is shocking. He's cooked. I can't imagine he sees much playing time. I wonder if Brown or Smith are injured.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:36 pm Goedeke being seen as the best of his draft class at tackle for anything is not what I would have had on my bingo card...

Yes, this is a pleasant surprise for sure. Seems like we got our tackles established for the future, which is the hardest thing to do on an online.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:10 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:03 pm Somehow, Julio Jones has returned. Just signed with the Eagles. I’m genuinely shocked an NFL team is actually giving him another shot after the tape he put up the last two years.
That is shocking. He's cooked. I can't imagine he sees much playing time. I wonder if Brown or Smith are injured.
AJ Brown lobbied for them to sign Jones.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Julio is ring chasing, just like he did with us. Best of luck to him.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:02 pm

Is that really meaningful to his legacy though? It’s like landing the trophy wife after you can’t get it up anymore.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This is funny

Snake

Post by Snake »

I still remember Calais during the draft process. Dude is built for war.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:01 am

Is that really meaningful to his legacy though? It’s like landing the trophy wife after you can’t get it up anymore.
I'm sure Peyton very much appreciated his corpse being carried to another right by the Broncos defense. AB's chip may be just enough to round out the rest for a HoF bid if he isn't blackballed for life already.

And if they signed him, hey, that means they see some value there so yeah, it contributes to his legacy. Plus at the end of the day, no one wants to be one of those HoF who never won it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s doing it for himself. No one on the planet who knows anything about football questions his talent and production. Phenomenal player. He just wants to taste victory. even if it’s a nibble.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:50 pm This is funny

I'm not sure I've ever seen our injury report with so few players on it.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

We need Vea to play to control this run game. If they can’t run it down our throats their non-NFL-caliber QB will have to beat us.

I do think Atlanta can be very good if they get a decent QB. They have athletic weapons at every skill position in that offense.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Brazen331 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:31 am We need Vea to play to control this run game. If they can’t run it down our throats their non-NFL-caliber QB will have to beat us.

I do think Atlanta can be very good if they get a decent QB. They have athletic weapons at every skill position in that offense.
They have done a good job rebuilding their team. If they find a QB, they are probably in position to be the team to beat in the NFC South. Let’s just hope that doesnt happen.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

We typically make mediocre QBs look like All-Pros though.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:36 am We typically make mediocre QBs look like All-Pros though.
No, no, no. We make backup QBs look like Joe Montana. Mediocre starting QBs we normally dominate.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:19 pm

I'm sure Peyton very much appreciated his corpse being carried to another right by the Broncos defense. AB's chip may be just enough to round out the rest for a HoF bid if he isn't blackballed for life already.

And if they signed him, hey, that means they see some value there so yeah, it contributes to his legacy. Plus at the end of the day, no one wants to be one of those HoF who never won it.
Not sure those examples are really apples to apples. Both of those players were starters who contributed in one way or another. How much is Julio really going to see the field?

Not saying don't do it if they want to sign you and you still want to "play," but, I won't personally think of Julio any differently because he's on a Super Bowl winning Eagles' roster.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Please note that Durham has joined our offensive fire power. It is a big moment when one lays down his ninny.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:21 am Please note that Durham has joined our offensive fire power. It is a big moment when one lays down his ninny.
You missed a perfect opportunity for a Payne pun.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

True, and while people will totally put an asterisks next to his ring but its better than the asterisk of not having one.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Quez Watkins just got put on IR. I think he was their 3rd guy until he got hurt a few weeks ago. I don't know if Jones is ring chasing but he didn't look all that great last year.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

The Saints starting RT and LG are out and their only backup T/LG is out. If I were their QB, it might be a good time to fake an injury.
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:18 pm The Saints starting RT and LG are out and their only backup T/LG is out. If I were their QB, it might be a good time to fake an injury.

I know SOMEBODY who can dodge pressure.

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

He has been such a pleasant surprise. His development gives me a rejuvenated faith in our coaching staff to not only develop young players, but to understand their weaknesses and be willing to change positions to facilitate their growth.

A RT theoretically is a more challenging position to play, especially for a lineman known for good strength, but short arms. And yet our coaching staff moving him from LG to OT was a calculated bold move. Of course, this all starts with how well Goedeke is committed to being good at his job. There was never a 5 game stint of Donovan Smith where I did not have to worry about him giving up pressures on critical downs and committing ill timed dumb penalties.

Now waiting for JTS and Logan Hall to develop similarly.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Jonny wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:04 pm

He has been such a pleasant surprise. His development gives me a rejuvenated faith in our coaching staff to not only develop young players, but to understand their weaknesses and be willing to change positions to facilitate their growth.

A RT theoretically is a more challenging position to play, especially for a lineman known for good strength, but short arms. And yet our coaching staff moving him from LG to OT was a calculated bold move. Of course, this all starts with how well Goedeke is committed to being good at his job. There was never a 5 game stint of Donovan Smith where I did not have to worry about him giving up pressures on critical downs and committing ill timed dumb penalties.

Now waiting for JTS and Logan Hall to develop similarly.
Cancey has shown more in the few games than I think either guy has in their careers. I'm off the JTS train. Guy wants to play like he's Micah Parsons but thinks all he has to do is bust through a wall like he's the Hulk with super speed. Hall? Amazing, world caliber athlete who is flat out horrible at the NFL level
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Great breakdown by Warren Sharp on the pronounced reduction in offensive output in the NFL this year.

I was talking to a buddy on this subject and my concern was the deep copycat and conservative impulse in NFL game management and playcalling. I was concerned a few weeks ago that we were seeing a “turtlefest” in the league which is amplifying a few rules changes and leaguewide adjustments on D (again; copycat league).

The layers of this (including the reality that we’re actually seeing less parity and more blowouts simultaneously) is fascinating.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/a ... ency-2023/
Kress

Post by Kress »

Jonny wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:04 pm

His development gives me a rejuvenated faith in our coaching staff to not only develop young players, but to understand their weaknesses and be willing to change positions to facilitate their growth.

To be fair, they failed to understand his weaknesses when they changed his position and hampered his growth. Now, they just put him back.

So, hooray for not being stubborn. I'm being serious by saying that, too. So many coaches are, and to everyone's detriment.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Nobody wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:37 pm Great breakdown by Warren Sharp on the pronounced reduction in offensive output in the NFL this year.

I was talking to a buddy on this subject and my concern was the deep copycat and conservative impulse in NFL game management and playcalling. I was concerned a few weeks ago that we were seeing a “turtlefest” in the league which is amplifying a few rules changes and leaguewide adjustments on D (again; copycat league).

The layers of this (including the reality that we’re actually seeing less parity and more blowouts simultaneously) is fascinating.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/a ... ency-2023/
Interesting read, thanks for posting this.

Personally, I think that the retirement of so much experience behind center is at least partly to blame as well. If you give Ben Roethlisberger or Drew Brees or Tom Brady or Matt Ryan or a Manning brother vanilla zone coverage, he will happily murder you underneath all game long. Mahomes is great and all, and Tua is doing some great stuff down in Miami, but the confidence and ability to patiently dissect zones comes with experience, and most of the old guard got, well, old.

I also wonder how much of this is due to copycat offenses. Seemingly everybody on the offensive side of the ball these days is a direct or indirect disciple of McVay or Reid or Shanahan, and one wonders when the students are going to put their own stamps on the game instead of copy/pasting playbooks they didn't write.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I think there's at least a non-negligble % of the cause for defenses playing better if the absence of Tom Brady. Not only is he not picking defenses apart on a weekly basis, but 31 defensive coordinator's don't have to dedicate extra time to try and challenge Brady.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jags player just Dante Wesley'd his own teammates on a punt return.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

The jags look good and bad at the same time lol