Rapid Reactions: Bucs Lose to the Lions 20-6

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: Rapid Reactions: Bucs Lose to the Lions 20-6

Post by Phantom »

This tweet answered my question about Sean Tucker. Whatever

https://x.com/gregauman/status/17144168 ... UWvIIdVFCw
McFan

Post by McFan »

Didn't want to open a new Topic Thread but loved the throwback orange uniforms with Bucco Bruce on the helmet. Just wondered what the younger fans in here think of them. Such an old school look, I loved them.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I feel like if Aaron wasn't injured the JETS would be the top team atm. That defense is soooo nasty.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Obsolete wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:30 pm I feel like if Aaron wasn't injured the JETS would be the top team atm. That defense is soooo nasty.
I think for them the shock and grief of losing Aaron is wearing off and they are playing to their current identity. The defense will have to lead. Force turnovers, limit scoring, give the offense shorter fields to work with. They've done that really ever week except that Dallas game.

I'm anxious to see them against the Dolphins who are quietly putting together the greatest offensive season in history.
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:44 am
kaimaru wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:39 pm

Do you have any proof of this? For his career he is averaging 3.4 passes of 20+ per game. Aaron Rodgers average 3.4 passes of 20+ per game
Proof? Yes. He's on his 4th team in 15 months. No one wants him because no one has faith in his ability to hit receivers on a regular basis, regardless of how far the pass is. He's a bad QB.
You said he can't hit anyone deep throughout his career. You didn't answer what I asked for proof about
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So which one of you want him out of Tampa? @Babeinbucland ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Phantom wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:13 pm So which one of you want him out of Tampa? @Babeinbucland ?
He has done nothing to deserve any accolades this season other than trucking a few dbs and saying funny things
Snake

Post by Snake »

Only for shortsighted fools. He’s an average at best quarterback, who can look a lot worse when everything isn’t going his way. Nothing has changed.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Phantom wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:13 pm So which one of you want him out of Tampa? @Babeinbucland ?
Theres a long list of issues that are plaguing the bucs, i dont view him as a problem but i dont view him as the solution either.

You have to ask yourself, is he holding the bucs back from a superbowl? Not really. Hes just not going to carry you to one.

All QBs have bad games, last week would look a lot different if Mike catches the ball that hit him in the numbers, if Mike doesnt draw an OPI.

We had chances, the entire offense failed. Our rbs have the vision of ray charles, our oline doesnt get much push(but our pass blocking is usually good), and our TEs are a group of JAGs.

So in short, its dumb that Baker is getting so much flak. The whole offense was a letdown and if you want to go a bit farther, the 3rd and long defense was pretty terrible as well.

Baker is a mid-tier qb playing like a mid-tier qb, why are people surprised?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Nope. He is allowed to have some difficult games. I will give him 4 more. If he loses the next 4 then yeah dial up Trask
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:21 pm Only for shortsighted fools. He’s an average at best quarterback, who can look a lot worse when everything isn’t going his way. Nothing has changed.
It isn't rocket science. It's more like "he is who we thought he was". Not a coincidence that the teams we've beaten and he's played "well" against have a combined 6-12 record while the ones we've lost to are 10-2.

Baker is playing as expected by anyone being reasonable.
Most hated man in America.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I don’t think anyone should want to run Baker out of town, but nobody should be wanting him as the long term QB either.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:41 am I don’t think anyone should want to run Baker out of town, but nobody should be wanting him as the long term QB either.
This is where I'm at.

I don't think we should bench him for Trask at this juncture, nor would I want the Bucs to sign him to a large extension. He's a mid-tier starter and surprise, he's playing like a mid-tier starter.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:46 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:41 am I don’t think anyone should want to run Baker out of town, but nobody should be wanting him as the long term QB either.
This is where I'm at.

I don't think we should bench him for Trask at this juncture, nor would I want the Bucs to sign him to a large extension. He's a mid-tier starter and surprise, he's playing like a mid-tier starter.

Everything changes if the Bucs show they have the long ball in them. I'll leave it to someone else to address just how many ways the offense would improve.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:09 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:44 am

Proof? Yes. He's on his 4th team in 15 months. No one wants him because no one has faith in his ability to hit receivers on a regular basis, regardless of how far the pass is. He's a bad QB.
You said he can't hit anyone deep throughout his career. You didn't answer what I asked for proof about
Deep, short, intermediate... doesn't matter which. He can't hit WR's with regularity. It's been 5+ years. It's because he's not a good QB. How do I know? Because no one wanted him.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It hasn't been 5+ years, thats horseshit. It's been 5 months. I honestly do not care what the hapless Panthers did with him. I care about him, today, with this team.

Also, he had other options, he turned them down. Now if you remember no there was only one other team besides us that wanted Brady. Look at all the teams that pass on great QBs in their draft. This isn't the winning argument you think it is.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:11 pm
kaimaru wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:09 pm

Deep, short, intermediate... doesn't matter which. He can't hit WR's with regularity. It's been 5+ years. It's because he's not a good QB. How do I know? Because no one wanted him.
And how many teams needed a QB that didn't have a high draft pick in this years draft? Vegas had traded for Garoppolo already. SF thought they had Purdy or Lance. This is why I think this is a bad position. The worst you can say is he is worse than Garoppolo. No one with a high draft pick and a shot in the 1st round for the "unknown" chance a Mahommes is not going to grab a QB that they think is no better than good. So your contention can only be he will not be a top tier quarterback. You know what? You don't have to be one to win a Super Bowl. From the Giants to the Ravens to even our 2020 team. Josh Freeman could have won that game. Teams wanted him, we were the only one to offer a chance at a starter.

He was CLEARLY pressing that game and it showed, just as it did when he was in Cleveland. Just as he did in practice in preseason. I assume you read the quote where the Thaddeus Lewis said to him in practice with errant throws and interceptions? He walked up to Mayfield and told him "I don't want to see that guy back at practice tomorrow." Baker said he got in, then went out the first preseason game and only had one incompletion. The biggest problem for Baker is Baker
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think we're still figuring out the right point between being careful and taking chances. He's leaning more careful right now but I think it's clear he can open it up a little more. Just a little more risk-it.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:45 pm

And how many teams needed a QB that didn't have a high draft pick in this years draft? Vegas had traded for Garoppolo already. SF thought they had Purdy or Lance. This is why I think this is a bad position. The worst you can say is he is worse than Garoppolo. No one with a high draft pick and a shot in the 1st round for the "unknown" chance a Mahommes is not going to grab a QB that they think is no better than good. So your contention can only be he will not be a top tier quarterback. You know what? You don't have to be one to win a Super Bowl. From the Giants to the Ravens to even our 2020 team. Josh Freeman could have won that game. Teams wanted him, we were the only one to offer a chance at a starter.

He was CLEARLY pressing that game and it showed, just as it did when he was in Cleveland. Just as he did in practice in preseason. I assume you read the quote where the Thaddeus Lewis said to him in practice with errant throws and interceptions? He walked up to Mayfield and told him "I don't want to see that guy back at practice tomorrow." Baker said he got in, then went out the first preseason game and only had one incompletion. The biggest problem for Baker is Baker
Raiders didn't trade for Garoppolo, they signed him as an unrestricted free agent.
https://www.raiders.com/news/jimmy-garo ... ansactions

Washington chose to go with Sam Howell. Arizona knew there was a good chance Murray could miss the whole year, plus there was speculation that they weren't going to bring him back after the 2023 season.

Tennessee chose a $45M cap hit to keep Tannehill instead of a $36M cap hit to cut him.

Atlanta chose to go with Ridder.

These are teams that activity chose to keep a terrible QB than sign Mayfield for $2M.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

You can now add Minnesota to the list of teams who thinks that a backup is better than Mayfield. Of course, it is possible that Minnesota went to Licht and inquired about Mayfield and were told "No". If that's the case, then that's Licht being foolish.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

CannonFire wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:24 pm

Raiders didn't trade for Garoppolo, they signed him as an unrestricted free agent.

Washington chose to go with Sam Howell. Arizona knew there was a good chance Murray could miss the whole year, plus there was speculation that they weren't going to bring him back after the 2023 season.

Tennessee chose a $45M cap hit to keep Tannehill instead of a $36M cap hit to cut him.

These are teams that activity chose to keep a terrible QB than sign Mayfield for $2M.
Sam Howell play extremely well for the Commanders . He is not terrible quarterback. But yeah Washington record is not the great.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:12 pm
CannonFire wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:24 pm

Sam Howell play extremely well for the Commanders . He is not terrible quarterback. But yeah Washington record is not the great.
Is he? Playing "extremely well", I mean. Howell is averaging 40 passing yards per game more than Mayfield, but his Int% is worse, his QBR is worse, their Passer Ratings, and TD% are almost identical, as is their comp%. One could also make the argument that the main reason why Howell's "playing extremely well", is because his teams defense is almost the worst in the NFL, ranking 31st in points against... the Bucs are 6th. Playing from behind all the time makes it easier to put up numbers... numbers that aren't much different than Mayfield's?

Howell was a 5th round pick who played 1 "meh" game his rookie season and Washington saw enough of him to say, "No, we don't need Mayfield". We had a 2nd round pick here for 2 seasons, and they jumped at the opportunity to get Mayfield, for what, $2M? So, either the team screwed up with their 2nd pick (which is what I thought the day they drafted him), or they screwed up by signing Mayfield... because Mayfield isn't "the answer". In either case, everyone in the league knew what we did about Mayfield, but we were the only one's to give him a clear path to the starting job.