Sick Podcast w/ Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Pirate Life

Sick Podcast w/ Canales

Post by Pirate Life »

Very good discussion with Canales on this podcast. Impressed with his knowledge and ability to explain his concept and what he wants to build on.

Grahamburn

Re: Sick Podcast w/ Canales

Post by Grahamburn »

Thank you for posting!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Would be pretty cheap to trade for Penny. Talented RB, knows the angles. Can get up to speed quickly. I keep feeling our RBs are leaving meat on the bone and coaches are dancing around it.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:24 pm Would be pretty cheap to trade for Penny. Talented RB, knows the angles. Can get up to speed quickly. I keep feeling our RBs are leaving meat on the bone and coaches are dancing around it.
I liked him coming out of college but I don't know if there's much value there unless you want to use him up during the mid season.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:24 pm Would be pretty cheap to trade for Penny. Talented RB, knows the angles. Can get up to speed quickly. I keep feeling our RBs are leaving meat on the bone and coaches are dancing around it.
Couldn't hurt. Our current backs shouldn't be full time or even part time starters
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:51 pm
Couldn't hurt. Our current backs shouldn't be full time or even part time starters
But Penny would be. Hurt, that is.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Penny was out this weekend, though due to illness not injury. If we kick the tires on a different RB, be nice if it's one that doesn't seem to be in the medical tent every other week.
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:18 pm Penny was out this weekend, though due to illness not injury. If we kick the tires on a different RB, be nice if it's one that doesn't seem to be in the medical tent every other week.
We need to go steal our next LeGarrette Blount off of someone's practice squad.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

wesmon wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:48 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:18 pm Penny was out this weekend, though due to illness not injury. If we kick the tires on a different RB, be nice if it's one that doesn't seem to be in the medical tent every other week.
I'd be all for perusing the running backs on the 49ers.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Penny is great if you need to fill up an IR spot. He's missed like 40 games in his career.

I'm honestly fine with our RB room right now, and think they'll grow/gel with the scheme and line as the season goes on.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Pirate Life wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:12 pm Very good discussion with Canales on this podcast. Impressed with his knowledge and ability to explain his concept and what he wants to build on.

Are you the guy that conducted this interview?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

No, just a podcast I stumbled on while following Jon Ledyard on Twitter.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:58 pm No, just a podcast I stumbled on while following Jon Ledyard on Twitter.
Jon Ledyard used to have great podcasts for PewterReport. Good to know he's actually a Bucs fan and not someone who worked at PR as a job.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Jonny wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:14 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:58 pm No, just a podcast I stumbled on while following Jon Ledyard on Twitter.
Jon Ledyard used to have great podcasts for PewterReport. Good to know he's actually a Bucs fan and not someone who worked at PR as a job.
Jon's involved with a couple of podcasts including his own. He doesn't work for any one team at the moment, does seem to do a lot of Bucs and Steelers stuff.

His podcast is very good, can find it here: https://jonledyard.substack.com/

He does work with Trevor Sikkema and Josh Queipo (guy who took over for him at PR) on the Buc front quite a bit.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Penny would be cheap and may spark the offense some.

Broncos look to be on a fire sale and I doubt they are paying Jevonte who wasn't drafted by Peyton anyways, who seems to like his boy McLaughlin.

I'd float a day 3er their way.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:18 pm Penny would be cheap and may spark the offense some.

Broncos look to be on a fire sale and I doubt they are paying Jevonte who wasn't drafted by Peyton anyways, who seems to like his boy McLaughlin.

I'd float a day 3er their way.
Penny would not last a quarter behind this o-line's run blocking before he was injured.

Williams is banged up currently (hip flexor) and is coming off of an ACL injury last year. McLaughlin is 5' 7", 187 lbs. He'll die if Payton wants to play him like a workhorse back for the rest of the season. IMO, Payton's tanking for Caleb.

I'd much rather look at getting some interior linemen that can run block. Hainey's regressed from last season and our guards don't seem much better in the run game than what we had last season. However, it does take time for a line to gel, so if we can keep with the same group we may see improvement down the line. I'd be all for looking for upgrades though.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I’ve always been a D’Onta Foreman fan, and thought he looked decent with his touches today.

But why not Fournette?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:41 pm

I’ve always been a D’Onta Foreman fan, and thought he looked decent with his touches today.

But why not Fournette?
It's not the RB, it's the OL.
2022 - Lenny averaged 3.5 YPC
2022-2023 - Rachaad White is averaging 3.6 YPC
2022-2023 - Keshawn Vaughn (in very limited role) is averaging 2.4 YPC.

DO NOT TRADE FOR A RB IF YOUR OL CANNOT BLOCK!!!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

They go hand in hand. A RB not seeing the lanes will make a OL look worse than it is.

The OL definitely gets beaten at times at the point, sure. These guys all met 6 months ago and defenders get paid to do a job too.
But there definitely were creases that a better RB could've exposed. At least enough to give us "enough" of a run game to fuel everything else.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:41 pm

But why not Fournette?

Fournette is a FA and Foreman would cost peanuts.

And we just need a physical back to get us some tough yards when we need it. An upgrade on Vaughn is an easy thing to do.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

real bucs fan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:56 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm

And we just need a physical back to get us some tough yards when we need it. An upgrade on Vaughn is an easy thing to do.
Ronald Jones is also sitting on his couch and has 2000+ rushing yards for this franchise. Bringing him in for a workout is literally the cost of a plane ticket and hotel room.

Just saying.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Cheb wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:33 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:56 pm

Ronald Jones is also sitting on his couch and has 2000+ rushing yards for this franchise. Bringing him in for a workout is literally the cost of a plane ticket and hotel room.

Just saying.
I'd kick the tires on him over some of the others mentioned here. Has the talent and the tools, just needs to get the right attitude and work on ball security.