NCAA Football 2021

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
BJJ34

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by BJJ34 »

Dread wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 am
BJJ34 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:35 am 75 million for 10 years for Franklin is starting to look like a fucking steal.

Franklin is capable of winning the big ones in the B1G. It's just a matter of plays falling the right way. We were in that Michigan game(they're gonna end up being number 2 in this upcoming poll). Iowa beat us when our starting QB failed.

7.5 million a year? Vs. 15 million a year? Steal. Brian Kelly better win 5 Natty's and that's with the potential 8 team playoff upcoming.
Seems like alot to finish in 3rd place in your own division
We had a down year but competed hard in every game. We were a couple of plays away from being in that Natty title picture ourself short of Illinois not beating us in 200583085308 overtime.

I miss the days of Joe's under a million salary.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:40 am Riley and Kelly are fucking snakes.

Riley shying away from the SEC is pathetic. He wants to go beat up a weak conference AGAIN from the perch of the most powerful program.

I hope they both lose every game.
Kelly wants to win a Championship. It's the only thing missing from his resume.

At LSU he can recruit better players due to proximity to the talent and less restrictive admissions at LSU compared to Notre Dame.

Kelly isn't shying away from competition, quite the opposite imo. He's hopping into the most competitive and talent rich division (SEC West) within the most talented and well coached conference in the country.

I get Notre Dame fans might be salty. But with the transfer portal these days the players can leave if they feel so compelled.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Dread wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:04 am
Snake wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:40 am Riley and Kelly are fucking snakes.

Riley shying away from the SEC is pathetic. He wants to go beat up a weak conference AGAIN from the perch of the most powerful program.

I hope they both lose every game.
Kelly wants to win a Championship. It's the only thing missing from his resume.

At LSU he can recruit better players due to proximity to the talent and less restrictive admissions at LSU compared to Notre Dame.

Kelly isn't shying away from competition, quite the opposite imo. He's hopping into the most competitive and talent rich division (SEC West) within the most talented and well coached conference in the country.

I get Notre Dame fans might be salty. But with the transfer portal these days the players can leave if they feel so compelled.
Yeah, I said Riley is shying away from competition not Kelly. I have no doubt Kelly is going to thrive at LSU. He would probably be in my top three hires if I had to choose a head coach to build a program with. He’s incredible.

Kelly is also just a scumbag. Then again, they all are. Sitting in a kids kitchen having dinner with them an hour before the news drops. What was the conversation over dinner? How Kelly wishes he handled the Cincinnati departure better. You can’t write this stuff.

As for the money thing, I’ll never get it and its probably why I’ll never make that much money. Kelly is probably sitting on 100m+ in the bank. If it’s just about money in that situation, you’re a piece of shit. But I tend to agree that it’s an ego move. He wants the ring.

Colleges have no one to blame but themselves. They started the facilities arms race. They botched the handling of NIL. The early signing period has forced coaches to leave in the middle of the season to get started on recruiting ASAP.

I’m curious how many programs are just going to refuse to engage in this and say fuck it. The haves and have-nots divide is only growing.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:18 am They botched the handling of NIL.
In what way did they botch the NIL?

They couldn't just say no, they lost in court.

They really had no choice in the matter and people should be able to both work while playing sports and cash in on their name.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Man, that game this weekend sucked. Michigan definitely played better and Harbaugh outcoached Day badly.

I hate not having a QB that can run at all. It kills us on 3 and short and he can't evade the pass rush very well (Hutchison was dominant).
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Snake wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:18 am

Yeah, I said Riley is shying away from competition not Kelly. I have no doubt Kelly is going to thrive at LSU. He would probably be in my top three hires if I had to choose a head coach to build a program with. He’s incredible.

ya, it certainly looks like Riley is avoiding competition.

I think Kelly will be good at LSU. Maybe they can get back up there with Alabama and Georgia. He has pretty much done all he can at Notre Dame
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bob Stoops is incredible for what he’s doing for OU right now.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Watch if Cincinnati lose, the committee will put Ohio state in
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brian Kelly, POS

MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:09 pm Brian Kelly, POS

I dunno, I remember when Mr. Drake did this to Rebecca on Cheers. It was a delightful romp.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Sounds to me, he lit a raging fire under both of them to be better than he ever was.

Context is missing. Maybe they were both incredibly talented (duh) but either too distracted by other things at school or just not working up to their potential.

We'll never know.

What we DO know is that two formerly unknown ex-graduate assistants to the mighty Central Michigan Chippewas beat out ex-graduate assistants to far more established football powerhouses for those first jobs in the pros, without which they wouldn't be where they are now. CMU isn't exactly known as an academic powerhouse either, so that's doubly impressive if you think about it that way. Brian Kelly helped get them those entry-level jobs, but he made them earn that help, with the above and a thousand other duties of less notoriety that, obviously, they performed well.

(Caveat: No I didn't google either one to track their exact career progress, others can do that if they wish.)

Doesn't mean he's not a jerk. He IS. But he's MY jerk now, and for a few weeks at least, the highest-paid coach in college football. I hope he gets graduate assistants just as good as these guys, without the snow shoveling duty in Baton Rouge.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Good read on the cracks forming in Riley’s program at OU.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-p ... ember-30th
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 am Good read on the cracks forming in Riley’s program at OU.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-p ... ember-30th
None of that is substantial. Riley was doing what anyone would consider a great job at OU and it will be unlikely they find an equal replacement.

I think USCw will prove to be a bad choice like the last 5 or 6 hires they've had since Carrol. They don't provide a long leash, have unreasonable expectations, and are currently no longer on the short list with kids in recruiting.

I also agree, it was most likely because of the SEC move, which many reported Riley was completely against.
Kress

Post by Kress »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 am I think USCw will prove to be a bad choice like the last 5 or 6 hires they've had since Carrol. They don't provide a long leash, have unreasonable expectations, and are currently no longer on the short list with kids in recruiting.
Do you think that's going to remain true with NIL? I mean, it's L.A.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Kress wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 am I think USCw will prove to be a bad choice like the last 5 or 6 hires they've had since Carrol. They don't provide a long leash, have unreasonable expectations, and are currently no longer on the short list with kids in recruiting.
Do you think that's going to remain true with NIL? I mean, it's L.A.
He did bring the 2nd best QB with him, but is there really more booster money at USCw than SEC schools or OU/Texas?

Since Carroll left, their attendance is pretty bad. I'm not sure there are more chances for money due to the lack of interest.
Kress

Post by Kress »

True. L.A. is a basketball town, after all.
Snake

Post by Snake »

USCw is the fairest of weather fans.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Marcus Freeman can recruit the hell out of it. But I have serious concerns about readiness for this job at ND.

Good luck brother.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:19 pm Marcus Freeman can recruit the hell out of it. But I have serious concerns about readiness for this job at ND.

Good luck brother.
I like that Notre Dame eschewed the usual practice of trying to land the biggest name, without regard to how that coach will fit in with their culture or program. It shows faith in their process. So often it seems like programs simply identify the biggest fish they can reasonably hire, throw a bunch of money at him, and call it a day. More often than not this doesn't work out.

BTW, do you find the "Kingsbury to OU' stories as funny as I do? The guy is sitting with the best record in the NFL. He has a lot of good young talent on his roster. He has his franchise QB. Depending on how they finish the season, he's looking at a contract extension in the 4 Year, $40 Mil range. We all saw the damn palace he lives in (I'll throw in a pic below.) But OU fans are still acting like he should be honored to be considered for their job.

"Hey, Kliff, how would you like to leave this Olympian temple in Paradise Valley to live in Norman, Oklahoma? Hey, how about you get to compete in the SEC? Sound good?"
Let's roll another joint
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Continuity. Notre Dame needed to put a good face forward to the Selection Committee that if chosen their players would be ready and able to compete for the National Championship. Notre Dame had to hire from the inside, this week, this time so close to the selection of the Four. I don't believe the Selection guys would ever, ever, select a school headed by an Interim Coach for the semifinals.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Xandtar wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 am Continuity. Notre Dame needed to put a good face forward to the Selection Committee that if chosen their players would be ready and able to compete for the National Championship. Notre Dame had to hire from the inside, this week, this time so close to the selection of the Four. I don't believe the Selection guys would ever, ever, select a school headed by an Interim Coach for the semifinals.
Damn, that's interesting. I didn't think of that. It's a helluva commitment to make based on your hopes of sneaking into the Final Four. Even if they were IN the Final Four right now, that's a helluva commitment. Especially when, look, they're not in the same league with Georgia, and I don't think they're as good as Alabama or Michigan either. Frankly, I think OKST beats them on a neutral field. Cinci? Dunno. But that's not really a gimmee. In other words, the odds of them parlaying this situation into hardware are not great.
Let's roll another joint
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Remember the Basketball NCAA championship where an interim coach took Michigan all the way to the title? This isn't comparable directly because there were so many more teams in the field, it would be more like if there were at least 8 teams in the football playoffs, when ND would have been brought in as an at-large with Cincy and Bama to join the Power 5 conference champions. No, ND must a) believe in this guy anyway and b) understand that you cannot win it if you aren't in it. And if Georgia crushes Bama and Iowa squeaks Michigan, spot 4 is golden dome's. Then they have to play Georgia to a huge upset with a monster chip on their shoulders, and go for the championship perhaps against the Bearcats. In the playoffs, you never know.

Edit: Iowa not Wisconsin (bonks head)
Last edited by Xandtar on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Fun fact: Since the Big Ten’s divisions were switched to East and West, the East is 7-0 in the championship game.

Michigan 31

Iowa 14
Kress

Post by Kress »

MJW wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:46 am
Xandtar wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 am Continuity. Notre Dame needed to put a good face forward to the Selection Committee that if chosen their players would be ready and able to compete for the National Championship. Notre Dame had to hire from the inside, this week, this time so close to the selection of the Four. I don't believe the Selection guys would ever, ever, select a school headed by an Interim Coach for the semifinals.
Damn, that's interesting. I didn't think of that. It's a helluva commitment to make based on your hopes of sneaking into the Final Four. Even if they were IN the Final Four right now, that's a helluva commitment. Especially when, look, they're not in the same league with Georgia, and I don't think they're as good as Alabama or Michigan either. Frankly, I think OKST beats them on a neutral field. Cinci? Dunno. But that's not really a gimmee. In other words, the odds of them parlaying this situation into hardware are not great.
I take X's comment as meaning it doesn't even matter if they win the round. It is the difference to the faithful between being #4 and in or #5 and out.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 am Fun fact: Since the Big Ten’s divisions were switched to East and West, the East is 7-0 in the championship game.

Michigan 31

Iowa 14
While my optimism about the program is at an all-time high, Iowa is no pushover, and it would just be the most Michigan move ever to flub it in the championship game and then not make the playoffs.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Cheb wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:19 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 am Fun fact: Since the Big Ten’s divisions were switched to East and West, the East is 7-0 in the championship game.

Michigan 31

Iowa 14
While my optimism about the program is at an all-time high, Iowa is no pushover, and it would just be the most Michigan move ever to flub it in the championship game and then not make the playoffs.

Iowa was my pre-season pick as a surprise final 4 team. I was all in. Now I hope Michigan pummels them.

Odd what smashing Ohio State will do for a guy's feelings toward your program.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Michigan 31

Iowa 14
They'll always be "Legends" and "Leaders" to me. Because that was the most Big Ten shit ever.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:19 pm

Michigan 31

Iowa 14
You can kind of picture "the Harbaugh face" as he trots off the sideline for the extra painful Kirk Ferentz handshake.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Wow Brian, I knew you were a politician but this takes the cake.

Have you ever said the word “family” like that in your life?
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:13 am

Wow Brian, I knew you were a politician but this takes the cake.

Have you ever said the word “family” like that in your life?
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Brian Kelly is a salesman. Salesmen suck. It's why I don't understand why we let these 17-18 year old kids make million dollar decisions based on these salesmen selling them on their false promises. It's fucking pathetic.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I-AA Winners - my picks

Kennesaw State
James Madison
Sam Houston
North Dakota St
Jackson St
UT Martin
South Dakota St

Div II

Shepherd
Valdosta St
Ferris St
Colorado School of Mines

Div III

Mount Union
North Central
Central College
Mary Hardin-Baylor
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

@Cheb

Let go Blue!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Shit, if Oklahoma State and Alabama both lose

Alabama still in

Fuck
Snake

Post by Snake »

Watching Bama v Georgia. Feels like the National Championship tbh

I say this every year but these guys look different from other CFB teams. Built and move differently.