Williams or Penix?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BuccaNOLEer

Williams or Penix?

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

If you can get a high enough draft pick to choose between him, who do you take if you're Licht?
Buc2

Re: Williams or Penix?

Post by Buc2 »

Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

While a QB would be nice, I prefer rebuilding this roster 1st. We need a ton of work.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Williams
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

I talked up Penix recently, but I'm not ready to commit to a first round quarterback.

We're 2-1 and now we get to feast on Jameis. I wanna see the defense slam dunk that little shit.

I'm thinking about another edge rusher or safety.

I don't think we got better letting Whitehead out the door.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:47 pm I talked up Penix recently, but I'm not ready to commit to a first round quarterback.

We're 2-1 and now we get to feast on Jameis. I wanna see the defense slam dunk that little shit.

I'm thinking about another edge rusher or safety.

I don't think we got better letting Whitehead out the door.
Whitehead brought a physical presence and toughness to the defense that quite honestly has not been replaced.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Williams, and it's not close. But we're already out of the running for him by winning two games already. Chicago has a legit shot at going 0-17, so they have the pick locked up already.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:59 pm Williams, and it's not close. But we're already out of the running for him by winning two games already. Chicago has a legit shot at going 0-17, so they have the pick locked up already.
If they draft Williams #1 overall, I would offer a low round pick for Fields and get him in the fold. He's a much better QB than lets on. Chicago has refused to let him develop like he needs to. For his first two seasons, they have failed to give him even halfway decent receivers to throw the ball to. Now they they've done that, this new coach is trying to mold him into a pure pocket passer. He's clearly a dual threat QB and needs to play as such.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:57 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:59 pm Williams, and it's not close. But we're already out of the running for him by winning two games already. Chicago has a legit shot at going 0-17, so they have the pick locked up already.
If they draft Williams #1 overall, I would offer a low round pick for Fields and get him in the fold. He's a much better QB than lets on. Chicago has refused to let him develop like he needs to. For his first two seasons, they have failed to give him even halfway decent receivers to throw the ball to. Now they they've done that, this new coach is trying to mold him into a pure pocket passer. He's clearly a dual threat QB and needs to play as such.
I wonder if we could swing a 3 way trade with New England and get Mac instead of Fields. I think Mac is in a very similar situation, he hasn't been supported by the organization and coaching staff. Belichick is still trying to do more with less like he did with Brady. Mac ain't that guy. You have to actually develop his game.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Best available offensive tackle with first pick, and grab Cameron Ward in the middle rounds.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CantonJester wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:12 am Best available offensive tackle with first pick, and grab Cameron Ward in the middle rounds.
The line, outside of Feiler, is very young. Hainsey has struggled this year, but Mauch and Goedeke haven’t played poorly. Average, but not poor.

I’m not judging them too much for struggling with that Eagles front.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:29 am
CantonJester wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:12 am Best available offensive tackle with first pick, and grab Cameron Ward in the middle rounds.
The line, outside of Feiler, is very young. Hainsey has struggled this year, but Mauch and Goedeke haven’t played poorly. Average, but not poor.

I’m not judging them too much for struggling with that Eagles front.
I’m fine with BPA with the first round pick. I just want to see them take a flyer on Ward on Day 2 of the draft.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

31 teams will make this thread "never was possible".
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Ok. Lose them all. I’m ready to tank for Caleb.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:48 pm Ok. Lose them all. I’m ready to tank for Caleb.
Welcome aboard.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

That was my stance last draft but if Goedeke continues to progress at RT, id leave it alone and maybe go for another Guard.

I'm also in favor of taking a CB in the first round.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

With 3 wins, we're now officially out of the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

With 3 wins, we're now officially out of the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

And thrilled to be.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Caleb Williams says he will only play for one of five teams. Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Giants or 49ers.

Last edited by Phantom on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Raiders? LOL ok.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Phantom wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:40 am Caleb Williams says he will only play for one of five teams. Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Giants or 49ers.

Please tell me this is BS
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

These Are The Days wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:05 am
Phantom wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:40 am Caleb Williams says he will only play for one of five teams. Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Giants or 49ers.

I don’t know man. Just take with a grain of salt
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Phantom wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:13 am
These Are The Days wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:05 am

I don’t know man. Just take with a grain of salt
I'll try because I know the guy is good but holy shit he hasn't even so much as played a snap in the NFL and is already making demands that he is no position to make
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Not buying that he said that officially to anyone, and going back to USC is just dumb.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I don't know about him only playing for those few teams, but the likelihood of him making more money on his NIL deal versus his NFL contract is poppycock.

A quick googling shows that Caleb Williams' NIL deal is worth about $2.6 million, which is third in college football behind Shadeur Sanders and Arch Manning. Bryce Young is making about $7 million on the first year of his rookie deal, nearly three times what Williams is making.

So that part at least is false.

As for Williams wanting to play for only a few teams, the only time I can recall that working is when Eli said that he wouldn't be a Charger and was traded to the Giants instead. Prior to that, Bo Jackson with us.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Didnt John Elway do something similar?
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Obsolete wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:55 pm Didnt John Elway do something similar?
Sort of. He made it clear he wasn't going to play for Baltimore. He wanted to go to the NFL, but he didn't want to play for a bad team.

Eli Manning pulled a similar stunt two decades later saying he would never play for San Diego (who sucked at the time)

Both ended up making the right decisions as they each had two Super Bowl rings by the time their careers ended. Meanwhile the QB's who replaced them couldn't quite duplicate that success.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

@NFCNorthNewss with 2 S’s …
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:00 pm
Obsolete wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:55 pm Didnt John Elway do something similar?
Sort of. He made it clear he wasn't going to play for Baltimore. He wanted to go to the NFL, but he didn't want to play for a bad team.

Eli Manning pulled a similar stunt two decades later saying he would never play for San Diego (who sucked at the time)

Both ended up making the right decisions as they each had two Super Bowl rings by the time their careers ended. Meanwhile the QB's who replaced them couldn't quite duplicate that success.
Elway had some leverage because he was also a baseball player and had signed with the Yankees.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Can't college players do endorsements now? You factor that in, he can make a rookie difference.

Either way I don't think he's actually going to pass on the NFL, all this is just posturing. Plus a team that passes on him gets another stud QB or MHJr.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:08 am Can't college players do endorsements now? You factor that in, he can make a rookie difference.

Either way I don't think he's actually going to pass on the NFL, all this is just posturing. Plus a team that passes on him gets another stud QB or MHJr.
He can, and obviously already is... He's on multiple commercials. However, those endorsements +++ would still be there in the NFL. He'd also be bypassing a $25M+ signing bonus, risking injury, and foregoing getting the BIG payday a year sooner.

It honestly doesn't make sense to try to strong-arm the NFL and their teams like this. Maybe he'll get what he wants eventually? IF this is really what he wants, but he kind of looks like a d-bag if true.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Neither. We need a MF'ing beast of an edge rusher. Even if Baker doesn't work out, I would feel comfortable going into the season with a stud pass rusher and Kyle Trask starting.

Btw Bucs must be a snake bitten franchise when it comes to drafting edge rushers. The last time we drafted a stud DE was.... Lee Roy Selmon? Michael Bennett doesn't count because he was a UDFA and we still found a way to mismanage him because we were set with amazingly talented Clayborn and Bowers.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Jonny wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:26 am Neither. We need a MF'ing beast of an edge rusher. Even if Baker doesn't work out, I would feel comfortable going into the season with a stud pass rusher and Kyle Trask starting.

Btw Bucs must be a snake bitten franchise when it comes to drafting edge rushers. The last time we drafted a stud DE was.... Lee Roy Selmon? Michael Bennett doesn't count because he was a UDFA and we still found a way to mismanage him because we were set with amazingly talented Clayborn and Bowers.

Assert yourself - the web crawlers will get your ideas delivered to Licht.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You can't force it, drafts fall as they will.