Who is the greatest/best WR of all time?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: Who is the greatest/best WR of all time?

Post by acmillis »

CantonJester wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:49 pm There's just no way of knowing how well Rice would've performed if he had the tripe at QB that Fitzgerald had to deal with for most of his career. SF built that west coast offense around its passing game from 1985 to 1998. Bill Walsh passing the torch to George Seifert was as important as Joe Montana passing it to Steve Young.

I mean, yeah. Rice is the greatest WR of all time. But if Larry Fitzgerald switched timelines with him? I feel comfortable saying Fitzgerald would've reached the same heights Jerry did. And Larry played at Pitt, not Penn State (somebody talked about that upthread).
If my aunt had wheels, she’d be a bike.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

David Carr is the best game of what if’s in history. If we’re gonna talk what if’s.

And how many players don’t go over the middle? I’m sure I can find some downright hilarious highlights of him going over the middle. If you have a 9 route runner, that’s your 9 route runner.

Not every receiver has to be complex. They can be good at certain things and still be effective. Just like running backs. Some guys hit home runs, some guys 4 yard you out until you get going to the point in the fourth where he guts ya open.

There are definite examples of differing receivers too. On the question; best deep runner is? Best possession receiver is?

Game on the line receiver?

T.O. Is still the greatest deep ball runner I’ve seen other than Randy. Tyreek does some WILD things though.
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:04 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:49 am Moss and Johnson are the two best I got to watch.
You don't put TO in that category? Dude was a headcase, but produced...regardless of who was throwing him the ball.
Read through this thread again. Not sure how I missed this.

TO was special. It’s easy to forget - at least for me - that Moss was prone to taking drives off. Halves off. And even games off. Real hot/cold off the field too. Mercurial shit that led to entire locker rooms hating him.

TO’s drama is legendary too. a locker room divider more than a destroyer. Head case for sure. I can’t recall him ever going less than full tilt on the field though. Moss can’t say the same.

TO was a total beast and competitor.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Snake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:24 am
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:04 pm

You don't put TO in that category? Dude was a headcase, but produced...regardless of who was throwing him the ball.
Read through this thread again. Not sure how I missed this.

TO was special. It’s easy to forget - at least for me - that Moss was prone to taking drives off. Halves off. And even games off. Real hot/cold off the field too. Mercurial shit that led to entire locker rooms hating him.

TO’s drama is legendary too. a locker room divider more than a destroyer. Head case for sure. I can’t recall him ever going less than full tilt on the field though. Moss can’t say the same.

TO was a total beast and competitor.
The man played in the super bowl with a broken ankle. And put up super stats.

The guy is a top 3 WR of all time. No doubts at all from me. It’s all subjective, but there was never a play on the field that TO didn’t give 1000%. And we forget these guys play a game for a living. When it comes to the drama, these guys are glorified. They get clicks, that’s all I can say about the drama.
Kress

Post by Kress »

CantonJester wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:49 pm SF built that west coast offense around its passing game from 1985 to 1998.
True, but it was in no way a vertical passing game. They made short passes their version of the running game. They fed Craig, Watters, etc., with 2-3 yard dump-offs and let them work from there. When Rice and crew did get targets, they were ordinarily crossing routes behind the LB's trying to come up and stop that dump-off nonsense. It was a well-oiled machine, but it didn't lend itself to crazy WR yards unless the receiver made it happen. And Rice made it happen, a lot.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Kress wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:53 am
CantonJester wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:49 pm SF built that west coast offense around its passing game from 1985 to 1998.
True, but it was in no way a vertical passing game. They made short passes their version of the running game. They fed Craig, Watters, etc., with 2-3 yard dump-offs and let them work from there. When Rice and crew did get targets, they were ordinarily crossing routes behind the LB's trying to come up and stop that dump-off nonsense. It was a well-oiled machine, but it didn't lend itself to crazy WR yards unless the receiver made it happen. And Rice made it happen, a lot.
That and very good route design coupled with QBs that could hit receivers in stride. That allowed for good results for YAC.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Always wondered what Andre Johnson would've looked like with a great QB. Or just an OL that could give any QB any time. The dude was a monster in the ugliest of situations. The Barry Sanders of WRs.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:18 am Always wondered what Andre Johnson would've looked like with a great QB. Or just an OL that could give any QB any time. The dude was a monster in the ugliest of situations. The Barry Sanders of WRs.
Matt Schaub was actually decent for a long time
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:38 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:18 am Always wondered what Andre Johnson would've looked like with a great QB. Or just an OL that could give any QB any time. The dude was a monster in the ugliest of situations. The Barry Sanders of WRs.
Matt Schaub was actually decent for a long time
Decent?

Andre was a reason why.

I always wondered what the era of Megatron was like if he played with a supreme team.

The 08 Lions, he had 1300ish yards on 150 targets.

Little known fact, Dan Campbell played on that team…

1 catch, 21 yards.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

Snake wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:38 pm
...... the greatest WR prospect ever. I don’t believe a human, as presently constructed, can be better designed to be a WR.

Good point.

Another one with a 21st century dream body for a WR - DK Metcalf.

Not in the class of the all-time greats but like PMI his body is. :shock:

Jerry Rice the GOAT, the son of a brick layer.

At 3-4 years old he's catching bricks Pop is throwing at him off the roof.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:57 am Jerry Rice followed by Larry Fitzgerald...

Sharp post.

Fitzy not the best of all time but one of my personal favorites.....

And by all accounts probably the classiest dude off the field than anyone else mentioned in this thread.

Just top shelf dude on and off the football field, the kind of guy you love to play with.

We move on.