Who is the greatest/best WR of all time?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: Who is the greatest/best WR of all time?

Post by mdb1958 »

Might should be looking at pre - 2007 stats.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

acmillis wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:40 pm Not to sound like an old man, but Rice was putting up crazy stats when it wasn’t a pass happy league and CBs could actually defend.
7 seasons of 1300+ yards from 1986 to 1995 is just insane.

I love as born in 1988, so the WR I feared the most was Megatron, but Rice is no doubt the GOAT and it ain’t close.
If Rice is Michael Jordan, Calvin is 6th man if the year

Rice was a 10 time first team all pro, and that came in an 11 season stretch.

His age 24 season he slashed 86/1570/15
16 seasons later he put up 92/1211/7
You don't sound old at all. You and everyone else sound smart for picking Jerry Rice. I just simply dare to mention Randy Moss in the same breath because he is the definition of generational talent and he's the kind of guy who could have played in any era and would have dominated. I'll say it again, put him in Rice's era he probably puts up similar numbers with Jerry probably doing just a little better most of the time. Put him on the right team and he'd put up, call it 60-80 catches 10-15 TD, anywhere from 1,000-1,500 yards a season because defenders were allowed so much more privilege back then. Again I have no doubt Rice would have some years with better numbers but Moss would be right there with him not far ahead or not far behind. In today's NFL? Good God. On the right team he could probably have 2,000 yards receiving, 16-25 TD's and would openly challenge Cooper Kupp's catches record. That's not to say Rice couldn't either. But he is the GOAT because of few injuries, consistency and longevity exactly like Tom Brady is to the QB position.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:47 am Was there a better duo than Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison
Yes… (Vikings) Randy Moss, Cris Carter. (49ers) Jerry Rice, John Taylor
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:31 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:47 am Was there a better duo than Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison

How about all stats with the same team - who then?
Kress

Post by Kress »

^^^^

Andre Reed and James Lofton were also beasts.

In current terms, watch out for Ja'Marr Chase and Tee Higgins.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Kress wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:28 pm

^^^^

And Evans/Godwin with Brady throwing the ball.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

^^^^

Think now Hill & Waddle have the top spot.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

^^^^

And Mark Clayton and Mark Duper
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Waddle and the cheetah are probably better.

Bootz beat me to it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Also have to consider AJ Brown & Devonta Smith as well.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Fitzgerald & Boldin, honorable mention
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Jerry Rice and Tim Brown.
GoldenBudda

Post by GoldenBudda »

Mark Carrier and Bruce Hill
GOATS
Max

Post by Max »

Best overall career? Jerry Rice

Highest peak/most dominant, best receiver in his prime? Vikings Randy Moss
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:32 pm

^^^^

Hill and Waddle are the modern Bruce and Holt. Both pair in a video game offense.... Not sure how to defend either pair except get to the QB before he can throw it
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:55 am
acmillis wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:40 pm Not to sound like an old man, but Rice was putting up crazy stats when it wasn’t a pass happy league and CBs could actually defend.
7 seasons of 1300+ yards from 1986 to 1995 is just insane.

I love as born in 1988, so the WR I feared the most was Megatron, but Rice is no doubt the GOAT and it ain’t close.
If Rice is Michael Jordan, Calvin is 6th man if the year

Rice was a 10 time first team all pro, and that came in an 11 season stretch.

His age 24 season he slashed 86/1570/15
16 seasons later he put up 92/1211/7
You don't sound old at all. You and everyone else sound smart for picking Jerry Rice. I just simply dare to mention Randy Moss in the same breath because he is the definition of generational talent and he's the kind of guy who could have played in any era and would have dominated
I have to dispute this. CBs were fighting with wide receivers all the way down the field. That's why the CBs were always up at the line. Ask Deon early in his career. Remember that it wasn't until 1996 that pass interference was strictly enforced. Unless it was outright blatant, they weren't calling it. Moss never played in that era of pass interference
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:16 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:32 pm

Hill and Waddle are the modern Bruce and Holt. Both pair in a video game offense.... Not sure how to defend either pair except get to the QB before he can throw it
I would say they are the best current duo. To add to that, if you double team both, Mosert will run over your face
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Rice was the beat all around WR of all time but Moss was thr most physically scary. Rice had the better career but IMO Moss peaked higher.

If Moss had played from word go with a HOF QB for the bulk of his prime, like Rice, than he might well be #1.

TO is likely #3 but he shot his own legacy in the ass with his head issues. If he head was screwed on correctly I think he'd be the clear cut #3.

Sterling Sharp could have made a run on this list if his health hadn't betrayed him.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:21 pm Rice was the beat all around WR of all time but Moss was thr most physically scary. Rice had the better career but IMO Moss peaked higher.

If Moss had played from word go with a HOF QB for the bulk of his prime, like Rice, than he might well be #1.

TO is likely #3 but he shot his own legacy in the ass with his head issues. If he head was screwed on correctly I think he'd be the clear cut #3.

Sterling Sharp could have made a run on this list if his health hadn't betrayed him.
Speaking of Sterling Sharp, I went to college with him. At the time, my fellow students thought Todd Ellis (our QB) was a stud. He wasn't Sterling Sharp made him look great. I am a Bill Walsh fanatic. I have read and watched anything on him. Everything was based upon timing and precision. He was critical of even the slightest variation. That's why his coaching career was so short. He was killing himself with the stress of perfection. Rice made two QBs HOFs. Were they HOFs or was the fact both were trained by Bill Walsh and was instilled his need of perfection along with the literally best WR ever make them HOF QBs? I think there is some solid debate there. After all, Steve Young was a bust here. Just a thought
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:59 pm
Terry Tate wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:21 pm Rice was the beat all around WR of all time but Moss was thr most physically scary. Rice had the better career but IMO Moss peaked higher.

Speaking of Sterling Sharp, I went to college with him. At the time, my fellow students thought Todd Ellis (our QB) was a stud. He wasn't Sterling Sharp made him look great. I am a Bill Walsh fanatic. I have read and watched anything on him. Everything was based upon timing and precision. He was critical of even the slightest variation. That's why his coaching career was so short. He was killing himself with the stress of perfection. Rice made two QBs HOFs. Were they HOFs or was the fact both were trained by Bill Walsh and was instilled his need of perfection along with the literally best WR ever make them HOF QBs? I think there is some solid debate there. After all, Steve Young was a bust here. Just a thought
Every QB between Doug Williams and Brad Johnson was a bust here.
Don't tread on me
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:59 pm

It's Sterling Sharpe...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

My all time fave pair. Where Moss and TO out physically freaked you, Marvelous Marvin won on ridiculously precise routes and spectacular hands.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

There's just no way of knowing how well Rice would've performed if he had the tripe at QB that Fitzgerald had to deal with for most of his career. SF built that west coast offense around its passing game from 1985 to 1998. Bill Walsh passing the torch to George Seifert was as important as Joe Montana passing it to Steve Young.

I mean, yeah. Rice is the greatest WR of all time. But if Larry Fitzgerald switched timelines with him? I feel comfortable saying Fitzgerald would've reached the same heights Jerry did. And Larry played at Pitt, not Penn State (somebody talked about that upthread).
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Many HoF have another HoF at the other end of the pass. Nature of the relationship.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Yeah, Jerry and Moss for sure.
But Steve Smith was amazing to watch as he stiff-armed many defenders straight down into the turf. That cat was strong and shifty as hell in his prime.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I didn’t see Jerry Rice play but I have not seen another WR do what Tyreek Hill does to opposing teams.

I did get to watch Megatron and would take Tyreek over him every day of the week.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:31 pm I didn’t see Jerry Rice play but I have not seen another WR do what Tyreek Hill does to opposing teams.

I did get to watch Megatron and would take Tyreek over him every day of the week.
Megatron is the goat in any era of football. Tyreek only exists because defenses got neutered. He would be on IR by week 2 or 3 if he played 20 years ago.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:06 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:31 pm I didn’t see Jerry Rice play but I have not seen another WR do what Tyreek Hill does to opposing teams.

Tyreek only exists because defenses got neutered. He would be on IR by week 2 or 3 if he played 20 years ago.
Can't emphasize how inaccurate this is. Tyreek Hill is one of the best route runners in football. Not to mention his hands are elite as well. For a guy his size he knows how to locate the football and is very strong making the catch.

Also, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway....Why weren't they put on IR by week 2 or 3 annually?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:18 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:06 pm

Tyreek only exists because defenses got neutered. He would be on IR by week 2 or 3 if he played 20 years ago.
Can't emphasize how inaccurate this is. Tyreek Hill is one of the best route runners in football. Not to mention his hands are elite as well. For a guy his size he knows how to locate the football and is very strong making the catch.

Also, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway....Why weren't they put on IR by week 2 or 3 annually?
Literally all the receivers you listed are bigger than Hill. He would be destroyed the first time he went over the middle by a safety or LB. Sorry.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:12 pm

Literally all the receivers you listed are bigger than Hill. He would be destroyed the first time he went over the middle by a safety or LB. Sorry.
Smith was lighter than Hill. Both the same weight when drafted (Hill 1 lb heavier), but Hill now plays at a higher weight than Smith did.

So Steve Smith wouldn't make it in his era? I guess Wes Welker wouldn't have made it in the previous generation, either.

I'd hate to see what you say about Antonio Brown's size.

Are you just confused by height? Hill is built like a RB. Even Travis Kelce said he's a freak in the weight room...stronger than him. He's insanely fast/quick, great route runner, and elite hands. What era would that not translate to?

You also said Mahomes couldn't play in any other era, so I guess this is another troll post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bigger? Okay, let’s go.

Tyreek Hill pre-draft was listed at 5’8 185 pounds. Santana Moss pre-draft was listed at 5’9 184. Steve Smith pre-draft was listed was also listed at 5’9 184. So Hill was 1 inch shorter but 1 pound heavier, indicating he had more or identical body mass to both.

You want to amend your argument here or are you going to stand pat on your lies?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:19 pm

Smith was lighter than Hill. Both the same weight when drafted (Hill 1 lb heavier), but Hill now plays at a higher weight than Smith did.

So Steve Smith wouldn't make it in his era? I guess Wes Welker wouldn't have made it in the previous generation, either.

I'd hate to see what you say about Antonio Brown's size.

Are you just confused by height? Hill is built like a RB. Even Travis Kelce said he's a freak in the weight room...stronger than him. He's insanely fast/quick, great route runner, and elite hands. What era would that not translate to?

You also said Mahomes couldn't play in any other era, so I guess this is another troll post.
Dammit! I should’ve known this was trolling. I didn’t immediately get the LUGZ/weird-hate-for-the-Chiefs connection. Of course he’s gonna hate Hill too.

Carry on @BucsNBills
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’ve been around a lot of freaks of nature, and Tyreke Hill stands out around other freaks. Definition of “his muscles have muscles.”