Week 3 Rapid Reactions: Bucs lose to the Eagles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: Week 3 Rapid Reactions: Bucs lose to the Eagles

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:08 am Mahomes didn't go top 5. Plenty of QBs didn't. We can still very easily come away with the Lamar or Rodgers of this class.

Or hell, maybe the Brees or Russell Wilson. Despite the propaganda the first overall pick isn't the only good QB.
Agreed.

This quarterback class not only has Caleb Williams (who may not even come out in the draft if he doesn't like the top drafting teams per his dad) but depending on who declares there are still a ton of QBs who can all ball. Maye, McCarthy, Penix, Ewers, Leonard, Van Dyke, Nix, Rattler, Travis, Daniels, Milton, Hartman... I am sure I'm forgetting some but you get the idea.

It wouldn't shock me if there are 10+ QBs taken in the first four rounds next year.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Cheb wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:43 am
Doctor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:08 am Mahomes didn't go top 5. Plenty of QBs didn't. We can still very easily come away with the Lamar or Rodgers of this class.

Or hell, maybe the Brees or Russell Wilson. Despite the propaganda the first overall pick isn't the only good QB.
Agreed.

This quarterback class not only has Caleb Williams (who may not even come out in the draft if he doesn't like the top drafting teams per his dad) but depending on who declares there are still a ton of QBs who can all ball. Maye, McCarthy, Penix, Ewers, Leonard, Van Dyke, Nix, Rattler, Travis, Daniels, Milton, Hartman... I am sure I'm forgetting some but you get the idea.

It wouldn't shock me if there are 10+ QBs taken in the first four rounds next year.
Maybe you already mentioned it in this thread or some other thread. If you had a chance to watch a replay of the game, can you please tell us who specifically were repeat offenders in our run D being as bad as it was? Also based on the way JTS and Logan Hall may have played in this game, is it fair to say that they are/will be average players in the league with no ability to make impact against good teams?
Kress

Post by Kress »

All of that is true. The first guy taken rarely turns out to be the best of the bunch, but still. It's better to control your own destiny and be the team making the pick, then it is to be the team waiting to see who falls to you.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Jonny wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:05 pm
Cheb wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:43 am

Agreed.

Maybe you already mentioned it in this thread or some other thread. If you had a chance to watch a replay of the game, can you please tell us who specifically were repeat offenders in our run D being as bad as it was? Also based on the way JTS and Logan Hall may have played in this game, is it fair to say that they are/will be average players in the league with no ability to make impact against good teams?
I didn't get NFL Plus (formerly NFL Rewind) this year and don't have an intention of rewatching the game.

That said, based on watching it live our issues with run defense were due to poor fits and being out of gaps, which are both correctable issues. More importantly, our offense being totally neutered absolutely played a role in the defense having a less than great day. It's hard to play great defense when you're on the field for almost 40 minutes and your offense totals less yards than the other team's running game.

No one on our DL looked like a world-beater on Monday and I'm not going to throw any of them under the bus for not looking great in very difficult circumstances, JTS and Logan Hall included.

We're 2-1 at this juncture. The sky hasn't fallen yet.

Go Bucs.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Interesting take from Brandon Thorn on the Bucs o-line vs Philly:

https://x.com/BrandonThornNFL/status/17 ... 15985?s=20
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:44 am Interesting take from Brandon Thorn on the Bucs o-line vs Philly:

So basically Wirfs & Fleir are very strong, Mauch can be with more consistent technique, Goedeke is getting stronger and Hansey is weak.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I hate the fan trope of definitively declaring a guy average or not for life. League history is full of examples of guys who were jags until the right situation. And, yes, more who never found that situation.

The truth is almost all these elite athletes are capable of being good contributors on any given play in the right circumstance. Most require rhythm and support from teammates as this is a team sport after all. And while plenty of rare stars shine regardless, its a fools errand to try to fill all spots with such stars. It never happens.

Instead you create an environment where your not stars can still deliver. Where guys like Shaq win sack titles and guys like Gholston are 100% "good contributors against good teams" and win rings.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bootz wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:15 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:44 am Interesting take from Brandon Thorn on the Bucs o-line vs Philly:

So basically Wirfs & Fleir are very strong, Mauch can be with more consistent technique, Goedeke is getting stronger and Hansey is weak.
Also that the o-line wasn’t as bad as initially thought in the aftermath of the game. Eagles line (especially Carter) were just a tier above. Further in the tweets it’s implied that some of the o-line woes will clear up as they get more comfortable together in the scheme. Still may not make up for Hainsey’s deficiencies though.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

We definitely need a stronger center. I suspect thats why our run game isnt very good.

Would like to see someone like Leverett get some snaps and see if things improve.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Cheb wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:19 am
Jonny wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:05 pm

I didn't get NFL Plus (formerly NFL Rewind) this year and don't have an intention of rewatching the game.

That said, based on watching it live our issues with run defense were due to poor fits and being out of gaps, which are both correctable issues. More importantly, our offense being totally neutered absolutely played a role in the defense having a less than great day. It's hard to play great defense when you're on the field for almost 40 minutes and your offense totals less yards than the other team's running game.

No one on our DL looked like a world-beater on Monday and I'm not going to throw any of them under the bus for not looking great in very difficult circumstances, JTS and Logan Hall included.

Go Bucs.
Thanks Cheb. You are probably right, the sky isn't falling and I should have expected this.

@Bootz, you were right all along that the Bucs belong in a different tier than the Eagles. I still don't think we are tier 3 or 4, but we definitely are an average team that will hopefully over perform the way Vikings did last year.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Jonny wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:06 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:19 am

Go Bucs.
Thanks Cheb. You are probably right, the sky isn't falling and I should have expected this.

@Bootz, you were right all along that the Bucs belong in a different tier than the Eagles. I still don't think we are tier 3 or 4, but we definitely are an average team that will hopefully over perform the way Vikings did last year.
I think we'll know who we really are after the Lions game.

We've beaten two of the absolute worst teams in the league, and got demolished by one of the best.

Division games are always tough, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the NO game no matter if we win or lose.

We'll play a decent Lions team and we'll know if we're decent, or dog shit.