Week 3 Rapid Reactions: Bucs lose to the Eagles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Al Bundy

Re: Week 3 Rapid Reactions: Bucs lose to the Eagles

Post by Al Bundy »

Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:23 am I'm seeing the typical hate/shade being thrown at Devin White, and it may be warranted. But what about the highest paid players on this defense? Where was Vita Vea? Where was Shaq Barrett? Both of them were basically nonexistent. Vita got blown off the ball more times last night than I can ever recall. He was ragdolled numerous times. I don't know where Shaq was other the time they showed him standing on the sideline while our defense was on the field. Not to mention Davis & Dean being hurt and out of action.

That doesn't even speak to the guys who were handed opportunities they haven't taken advantage of. Logan Hall. JTS. Ryan Neal. Kancey.All invisible. This doesn't fall on just Devin White like people want to believe it does.
Vea was very clearly injured, and I believe Devin White was injured as well. Logan Hall is just a trash player that should have been a day 3 pick.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Yeah Vea and DW were listed questionable. Would have rather they sat out this one.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:23 am I'm seeing the typical hate/shade being thrown at Devin White, and it may be warranted. But what about the highest paid players on this defense? Where was Vita Vea? Where was Shaq Barrett? Both of them were basically nonexistent. Vita got blown off the ball more times last night than I can ever recall. He was ragdolled numerous times. I don't know where Shaq was other the time they showed him standing on the sideline while our defense was on the field. Not to mention Davis & Dean being hurt and out of action.

That doesn't even speak to the guys who were handed opportunities they haven't taken advantage of. Logan Hall. JTS. Ryan Neal. Kancey.All invisible. This doesn't fall on just Devin White like people want to believe it does.
Vea was dominated, yes.

My qualm with White was his low effort. There was one play where he didn't run at all and stuck his arm out to the RB. He does this too often to be a great. Yes, he may be injured, but then he shouldn't be on the field.

As I said in the game thread, White making bad reads is one thing, but not trying is infuriating. David was running on every down...sometimes after he was blown off the play...The same can't be said for White who in some plays gave absolutely no effort.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I don't get the DW hate. He is not a bad player. He is not Derrick Brooks, but he is not bad.

As far as the issues last night. The issues with a Bowles defense on the first drive (in general). I think this speaks to issues with coaching and getting guys prepared. The Buccaneers defense just did not seem ready for the intensity that the Eagles brought. After a while I saw guys losing discipline and running around trying to make "the big play" that resulted in them being out of position or taking a bad angle. The defense after the middle of the second quarter looked undisciplined.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:42 am

I don't get the DW hate. He is not a bad player. He is not Derrick Brooks, but he is not bad.
He is often a very bad player, but can be great. I lauded him after week 1. He was amazing. He was very mediocre week 2 and was terrible last night. He was a liability and people excuse it because of the INT, which was thrown right to him after he completely blew the coverage.
Snake

Post by Snake »

White is simply too inconsistent to pay big guaranteed money.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:49 am White is simply too inconsistent to pay big guaranteed money.
Right.

The criticism is warranted when he has said multiple times he wants to be the highest paid LB in the NFL.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:44 am
13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:42 am

He is often a very bad player, but can be great. I lauded him after week 1. He was amazing. He was very mediocre week 2 and was terrible last night. He was a liability and people excuse it because of the INT, which was thrown right to him after he completely blew the coverage.
So, I think of him more of a player who has no consistency. That, for some, can make him bad. He will make unbelievable plays that very few others can make followed by blowing assignments or making bad reads. In the end he ends up being an average player to me. However, I can see your point. His lapses end up being more critical than his big plays most games.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:55 am
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:44 am

So, I think of him more of a player who has no consistency. That, for some, can make him bad. He will make unbelievable plays that very few others can make followed by blowing assignments or making bad reads. In the end he ends up being an average player to me. However, I can see your point. His lapses end up being more critical than his big plays most games.
Do you think he warrants 20mm per year? That's what he wants and what Doctor says we'll give him.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:56 am
13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:55 am

Do you think he warrants 20mm per year? That's what he wants and what Doctor says we'll give him.
No.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Devin White is the Jameis Winston of inside linebackers.

#changemymind
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

If ever there was a game which went pretty much exactly as expected, this was it.

The Bucs are neither a very good team or a very bad team at this point. With the division they are in, until they play the teams in that division and either beat them or get beat, it is possible that they can win the division and make the playoffs. None of the teams in the NFC South is very good or possibly good at all.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

The problem with Devin White is he wants a lot of money, and the Bucs don’t have a lot to give out and a lot of players wanting money. I think we should have just dealt him this offseason to get an asset or two and relieve ourselves of the issue of to pay him or not. With that said, he’s had a good season so far. He’s not a bad player, he’s just not elite and plays a non premium position while wanting to get paid premium money.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Kancey was inactive last night. Agree with you about blaming the other guys as well. DeAndre Swift had a hell of a game and our D-line was putrid at holding their ground against their run game. The pass rush was non-existent most of the night. The first Jalen Hurts TD was a great example of how often he got a clean pocket for like 4-5 seconds on critical downs.

We may have invested heavily on defense through our draft capital, but this team still lacks a consistent pass rushing force, especially from the edges.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

DW wants money and didn't play well. Vea and Shaq GOT their money and they aren't playing well. In most cases worse.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:55 pm Devin White is the Jameis Winston of inside linebackers.

#changemymind
If he's that, what does that say about the other guys on this defense who are worse?
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:44 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:55 pm Devin White is the Jameis Winston of inside linebackers.

#changemymind
If he's that, what does that say about the other guys on this defense who are worse?
I made that comparison because imo Devin White, like Jameis, offers flashes of utter brilliance intermixed with baffling whiffs. The ability to do 1% traits at their positions, but still making mistakes that should have been ironed out in Pop Warner. White, like Jameis, has the below-neck ability to play at an elite level and can flash Pro-Bowl talent, but sometimes their brains short-circuit and makes me wonder what the fuck they are thinking. And just like Jameis, we are going to be in the uncomfortable position of deciding whether or not he's worth a huge extension, and just like with Jameis I see the pros and cons of both sides.

Devin White's inconsistencies have little to nothing to do with his teammates' play.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:14 am Our strength and conditioning coach needs to be told to get them stronger - not have a healthy poop.
Gonna give mdb a rare appreciation quote here.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:34 am Why do people think losing out helps rebuild a team? If you GM and front office can't pick solid players it does not matter what number pick you get. If your coaches can't coach up players it does not matter what number pick you get.
The romantic obsession of a Peyton Manning single handed lifting up your franchise regardless of team, coach, GM, ownership, etc for 20 years.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:47 pm
13F11B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:34 am Why do people think losing out helps rebuild a team? If you GM and front office can't pick solid players it does not matter what number pick you get. If your coaches can't coach up players it does not matter what number pick you get.
The romantic obsession of a Peyton Manning single handed lifting up your franchise regardless of team, coach, GM, ownership, etc for 20 years.
Stupid does stupid well.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 pm DW wants money and didn't play well. Vea and Shaq GOT their money and they aren't playing well. In most cases worse.
He’s making $11M. Nobody played well last night.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Al Bundy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:22 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:58 am

Alright, I’ll bite the hook. How in the Hell can you say this about Kancey?

And, just FYI, the Eagles got TROUNCED in the playoffs just two years ago. By us. Tanking did not get them where they are right now.
Kancey sat out so he wouldn't get pushed around. I am not convinced that he will play through pain. Jalen Carter showed what a first round DL pick looks like, Kancey sat out to avoid it.
And you have proof of this, or just making shit up to support your statement?
Kress

Post by Kress »

There is a whole lot of talk in here about Evans, and our corners, and our running backs, and our coordinators, and.......

Their offensive line beat up our defensive line. Oh, and also, their defensive line beat up our offensive line.

That was the ballgame.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Between the 20’s the defense is not very good. Attribute that to the loss of a few guys and all of the speed Philly has.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

One thing is evident, this team has one of the worst fan bases in NFL history. pathetic how the crowd was loud when the offense was on the field and even louder when Phil made plays.

I think this team is not as bad as what they showed on Monday night. Evans had an off night, the OC is new, I think he will get in a flow. The offense needs to do more tempo and less rb hand offs down the middle from the shotgun.

The positive is that the Defense held it together as long as they could with as thin as they were (hobbled White, no Dean, no Carlton, no kancey). Man neither end could do anything , I can't wait until kancey gets going. This defense is going to be very different.

They beat the Saints on Sunday, its 3-1 into the bye to get healthy.
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

bucarican wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:47 pm One thing is evident, this team has one of the worst fan bases in NFL history. pathetic how the crowd was loud when the offense was on the field and even louder when Phil made plays.
lol, welcome to 1976
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

bucarican wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:47 pm One thing is evident, this team has one of the worst fan bases in NFL history. pathetic how the crowd was loud when the offense was on the field and even louder when Phil made plays.

I think this team is not as bad as what they showed on Monday night. Evans had an off night, the OC is new, I think he will get in a flow. The offense needs to do more tempo and less rb hand offs down the middle from the shotgun.

The positive is that the Defense held it together as long as they could with as thin as they were (hobbled White, no Dean, no Carlton, no kancey). Man neither end could do anything , I can't wait until kancey gets going. This defense is going to be very different.

They beat the Saints on Sunday, its 3-1 into the bye to get healthy.

If they flew down, they were staying with family already living here.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Hammy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:52 pm
lol, welcome to 1976
It’s those darn season ticket holders selling their tickets to opposing fans for massive profits…
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:35 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:44 pm

I made that comparison because imo Devin White, like Jameis, offers flashes of utter brilliance intermixed with baffling whiffs. The ability to do 1% traits at their positions, but still making mistakes that should have been ironed out in Pop Warner. White, like Jameis, has the below-neck ability to play at an elite level and can flash Pro-Bowl talent, but sometimes their brains short-circuit and makes me wonder what the fuck they are thinking. And just like Jameis, we are going to be in the uncomfortable position of deciding whether or not he's worth a huge extension, and just like with Jameis I see the pros and cons of both sides.

Devin White's inconsistencies have little to nothing to do with his teammates' play.
What makes this even more baffling is remembering hearing how incredibly “coachable” Jameis is.
I said what I said

Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Didn't see a single player out there that I wouldn't trade for any of the opposing players straight up....

Saw pretty much what I expected to see
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:23 am
Sdbucs wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:09 am Please please please please please no more wins this season

I’ve been saying it since we signed baker that we will get those 7,8,9 wins and accomplish nothing. We are throwing our future away with Baker

Any other season I’m rooting for us until we are eliminated. But this season can potentially set us back for years
I understand the sentiment of what you're saying because there is a good crop of good young QBs next draft.. But again. The National media fed you a narrative that we are a last place team which was not true.

How can we be a last place team when we have all pro players on both sides of the ball coming off a SB win 2 years ago?

We are a contender. Maybe not SB but good enough to pull off an upset in the Playoffs against a team like Philly. Or SF

Our Superbowl roster had Tom Brady and Gronkowski. The two of those players were still playing at such a high level that they'd make any team a playoff contender at minimum.

BUT, we also had Bowles strictly focused on defense where he had a much more talented cast that included a healthy, younger Shaq, a JPP who was still playing at a good level, Suh who still had some in the tank. White was playing MUCH better. LVD younger. I must be forgetting a name too.

The reality is is that we are a shell of that team.

We have have a 1 dimensional offense: Godwin and Evans are the only true talent in skill positions.
We have a mid tier defense. Our edge rushers are non-existent. We have Vea, Winfield, Davis, David. Hopefully Kancey will be good.

The "this was a superbowl talented roster" does not hold water anymore. We, in this form, are a 7-10 win team under Baker. And I only say 10 because our division is so bad. If we were in a stronger division it would be more like a 4-7 game team.

We're going to miss out on the top end of the most talented QB class in a long time for absolutely nothing. Makes me sick
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I remember the last "most talented all time QB draft class"... in fact I think the top pick is our starter.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:08 am
Central_Buc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:23 am

I understand the sentiment of what you're saying because there is a good crop of good young QBs next draft.. But again. The National media fed you a narrative that we are a last place team which was not true.

How can we be a last place team when we have all pro players on both sides of the ball coming off a SB win 2 years ago?

We are a contender. Maybe not SB but good enough to pull off an upset in the Playoffs against a team like Philly. Or SF

Our Superbowl roster had Tom Brady and Gronkowski. The two of those players were still playing at such a high level that they'd make any team a playoff contender at minimum.

BUT, we also had Bowles strictly focused on defense where he had a much more talented cast that included a healthy, younger Shaq, a JPP who was still playing at a good level, Suh who still had some in the tank. White was playing MUCH better. LVD younger. I must be forgetting a name too.

The reality is is that we are a shell of that team.

We have have a 1 dimensional offense: Godwin and Evans are the only true talent in skill positions.
We have a mid tier defense. Our edge rushers are non-existent. We have Vea, Winfield, Davis, David. Hopefully Kancey will be good.

The "this was a superbowl talented roster" does not hold water anymore. We, in this form, are a 7-10 win team under Baker. And I only say 10 because our division is so bad. If we were in a stronger division it would be more like a 4-7 game team.

We're going to miss out on the top end of the most talented QB class in a long time for absolutely nothing. Makes me sick
I guess to clarify by what I mean by that is I think its beneficial to have players on your roster that have won a SB and know what it takes to get there.

True, We have regressed and had turnover since but what I'm saying is, if you are a Tier 2 competitor like the the Bucs, its always helpful to have a handful of guys in the locker room who have been there before.

I really wouldn't bother focusing on the QB this upcoming draft because we are too good to finish bottom 5.

What maybe we should consider is experimenting with lower round QBs for the time being. Obviously Brady was a 6th round pick and Purdy being Mr irrelevant.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Mahomes didn't go top 5. Plenty of QBs didn't. We can still very easily come away with the Lamar or Rodgers of this class.

Or hell, maybe the Brees or Russell Wilson. Despite the propaganda the first overall pick isn't the only good QB.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Doctor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:08 am Mahomes didn't go top 5. Plenty of QBs didn't. We can still very easily come away with the Lamar or Rodgers of this class.

Or hell, maybe the Brees or Russell Wilson. Despite the propaganda the first overall pick isn't the only good QB.
Heck even the Chargers quit on Brees because they thought he was too short and opted for a taller Rivers.