Week One Rapid Reactions

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Jonny

Re: Week One Rapid Reactions

Post by Jonny »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:56 pm I was thinking Trask was coming in the second half like most of you. Baker seemed off. Some said he looked nervous, and maybe he should have played more in the preseason. Ko Kief definitely needed to.

Second half Baker is who I hoped he would be. As I hoped, maybe humility will make him stop turning the ball over. I didn't see any turnover worthy passes and he held onto the ball when hit.

The defense was like 2020 team. Had drives that were headscratcher, some of those headscratchers ended in turnovers, and our defense played lights out in the 4th.

Thompkins looks like a steal, and Palmer has a nose for the endzone. Other than Darden, it looks like Licht is good at evaluating WRs. I cannot analyze OL play, but what is with the run game not opening holes all game? I would complain more about the backs, but way too many runs that i saw no holes at all. Maybe the back should have bounced it out? IDK, but i also saw the Vikings with their entire front 7 on the line pre-snap
Payton Barber had wide open running lanes under Koetter in 2018 season opener when Saints were a formidable defense. And Barber averaged 6 ypc. It's been a long long long time since Bucs ran like that against any team. It's gotta be our offensive linemen being offensive.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:56 pm I cannot analyze OL play, but what is with the run game not opening holes all game? I would complain more about the backs, but way too many runs that i saw no holes at all. Maybe the back should have bounced it out? IDK, but i also saw the Vikings with their entire front 7 on the line pre-snap
We had a historically bad run game last season and didn’t do much to address that this offseason. I think the next two drafts are going to be really OL heavy and the entire unit is going to be rebuilt except for Wirfs and Mauch.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

If White plays all year like he did today I hope they pay him. He was all over the field laying wood. It was very fun to watch him and David. Also, Kancey looked like a great pass rusher in the limited reps he got. I might give him a week off and hope the calf is 100% for week 3.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

1-0. This felt great!
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

When Kancey was in the D played great. Took some time to get going, but think we saw the potential of the offence as well. And we got the W. LFG.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Jonny wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:58 pm For the 2-3 snaps Kancey seemed to play, he had a major impact forcing errant throw from Cousins on. 3rd down. The pass rush from D-line was otherwise mediocre most of the game. I hope Kancey can play a least the week after.
The D did seem to fall off a level once Kancey got hurt. Hope he’s alright.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Great thread EVERYONE!!
Forever etched in my mind will be …..
That laser shot from Baker to Godwin that was so next level in sealing the win.
I guess that was what the Rams fans must have felt when he stepped in over there.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:14 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:12 pm

I think the QB from Colorado is better
Sanders??! Is he draft eligible yet?

I can't see why a few wouldnt be in play.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Baker is inconsistent. What good will Evans and Godwin be if you don't have a QB who can get them the ball? We eked out a three point win. Had the 2021 Brady been behind center, it would've been a convincing win.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:12 am When Kancey was in the D played great. Took some time to get going, but think we saw the potential of the offence as well. And we got the W. LFG.
I don't know what you mean by took him some time to get going. The dude literally brought the heat and solely forced a punt by the Vikings on their first drive. Then he basically never showed up rest of the game. I would love to know how many snaps he played.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Jonny wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:31 am
real bucs fan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:12 am When Kancey was in the D played great. Took some time to get going, but think we saw the potential of the offence as well. And we got the W. LFG.
I don't know what you mean by took him some time to get going. The dude literally brought the heat and solely forced a punt by the Vikings on their first drive. Then he basically never showed up rest of the game. I would love to know how many snaps he played.
I think he was talking about the offense when he mentioned it took some time to get going. Kancey only played the first half.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'll guess 2 snaps.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:41 am
Jonny wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:58 pm For the 2-3 snaps Kancey seemed to play, he had a major impact forcing errant throw from Cousins on. 3rd down. The pass rush from D-line was otherwise mediocre most of the game. I hope Kancey can play a least the week after.

I don't think he got hurt, I think he told them he still isnt right.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:29 am Baker is inconsistent. What good will Evans and Godwin be if you don't have a QB who can get them the ball? We eked out a three point win. Had the 2021 Brady been behind center, it would've been a convincing win.
Eeking out a 3 point win on the road in Minnesota as 6 point dogs isn't anything to be ashamed of.

And, yeah. The 2021 Bucs were a super team. How is that relevant to the 2023 Bucs?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Al Bundy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:04 am

I think he was talking about the offense when he mentioned it took some time to get going. Kancey only played the first half.
Thanks for clearing my misunderstanding.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:49 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:29 am Baker is inconsistent. What good will Evans and Godwin be if you don't have a QB who can get them the ball? We eked out a three point win. Had the 2021 Brady been behind center, it would've been a convincing win.
And, yeah. The 2021 Bucs were a super team. How is that relevant to the 2023 Bucs?
Exactly. Those glory days of 2021 are over. Bucs were deemed to be a bottom feeder for good reasons. Bucs are a flawed team with a flawed QB and HC. The best case scenario for Bucs now under these circumstances is minimizing mistakes, not shooting ourselves in the foot, get a few wins first to make us realize we have a shot at at least winning this division first. The way this best case scenario will materialize is if we go into the bye week with a 3-1 record, with a win against the Saints.

If that happens I will start hoping Baker can take more chances against better teams in our schedule.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:46 am

I'll guess 2 snaps.
I'm with you. I did not see #94 jersey after that first Vikings drive. I saw him lined up as a LDE on that 3rd down and bring heat going against a damn good RT of Vikes.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Always think of Dennis when the Vikings lose.
Last edited by 13F11B on Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:56 pm I was thinking Trask was coming in the second half like most of you. Baker seemed off. Some said he looked nervous, and maybe he should have played more in the preseason. Ko Kief definitely needed to.

Second half Baker is who I hoped he would be. As I hoped, maybe humility will make him stop turning the ball over. I didn't see any turnover worthy passes and he held onto the ball when hit.

The defense was like 2020 team. Had drives that were headscratcher, some of those headscratchers ended in turnovers, and our defense played lights out in the 4th.

Thompkins looks like a steal, and Palmer has a nose for the endzone. Other than Darden, it looks like Licht is good at evaluating WRs. I cannot analyze OL play, but what is with the run game not opening holes all game? I would complain more about the backs, but way too many runs that i saw no holes at all. Maybe the back should have bounced it out? IDK, but i also saw the Vikings with their entire front 7 on the line pre-snap
They played a lot of 8 in the box to try and force Mayfield to throw the ball. Worked well for them in the 1st half. Not so well in the 2nd.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I’m mostly in the wild with crap internet, but I was able to (frustratingly) watch the game after the fact on NFL+ and rewatch for some details. Thoughts:

* ILB play was fantastic. I reviewed it in the past and I believe I came to a game count of 13 good games in 4 years for Devin White with 4 of those being elite games. This would be #14 and #5. Fantastic game in all phases for him. If this type of game littered his resume, I would be his biggest supporter.

* Logan Hall better step it up big time. Notgingburger from him. Kancey’s (good) 9 snaps made a much bigger imprint than Hall’s pedestrian whole game.

* Baker airmailed a layup TD down the seam on a Bow route and looked to misread a few coverages, hold the ball on a few others, and checkdown to a covered RB in a covered, dangerous situation for the RB (though I’d need to watch the All22 to confirm). He also had Mike doink a money Skinny Post that woukd have been 6. On the whole, decent start one but needs to be better if we hope to win games where the defense doesn’t turn the other team over 3 times.

* Offense conceptually was weird. Totally out of left field:

1) Our Zone vs Duo/Man/Gap wasn’t even close to skewing significantly disproportionately Zone (and not a tob of Outside nor Split). 15 vs 10 I think? So only 60 % Zone. Odd.

2) Where was all the Jet action, motion into and away from the formation, counter fakery? There a little (and a little more if you count Boots, but that isn’t what I’m referring to) but mostly missing. Odd.

3) Play-action was throttled back enormously compared to preseason (where we were enormously successful on it) to just north of 25 %. Again, odd.

* Exhale. Wirfs was great. He and Feiler were both great in Pass Pro and solid in the run game. As far as the run gsme goes though, that is where it ends. From Hainsey to the right it was a mess. Tight Ends were mixed with Otton putting a heap of bad snaps out there. Those guys need to be much better.

* Despite the train wreck from Center over in the run game, White and Tucker need to be better. 3 Forced Missed Tackles amongst them. Not remotely good enough. You have to get more than what is there and that is what was being got. That is one game down in bearing out the Boots, MJW, Cheb skepticism of White being a productive runner. Better right the ship quick young man, because any JAG can put out 39 on 17 when the blocking isn’t there.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

GMC still a fan.

Don't tread on me
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:38 pm GMC still a fan.

He must be fucking Don King's daughter.
MRM

Post by MRM »

Good win to start the season. The defense played well in the first quarter, not so good in the second quarter. Made some adjustments and played better in the second half. Offense did just enough to win the game. We have a kicker with some range.
Pelagic_and_Pewter

Post by Pelagic_and_Pewter »

All-22 keeps crashing on me (bad internet lately).

Anyone happen to catch the defensive alignment on the Evans TD?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

11 snaps, he should be back next game as Bowles only said everyone was just nicked up a bit including Kancey
Last edited by kaimaru on Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:48 am
real bucs fan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:41 am

I don't think he got hurt, I think he told them he still isnt right.
No he didn't. He went out for cramps and the training staff held him out as a precaution as it was in the same calf
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Pelagic_and_Pewter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:39 pm All-22 keeps crashing on me (bad internet lately).

Anyone happen to catch the defensive alignment on the Evans TD?
The NFL provided all-22 on NFL+ (former NFL Rewind) kept getting worse and worse every year, so I haven't reupped it this season.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Baker needs to be way more willing to take the easy pass. Lots of missed dump offs to RBs that would be positive plays.

White ran absolutely horribly, needs to be WAY better. Was high on him and he was really bad.

Nice win
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Thompkins and Edmonds each only touched the ball twice but both did some really tough running to get hard-earned first downs on that TD drive to open that half. Kudos gentlemen, way to earn your gamechecks.

D White had a hell of a game in route to his DPOY season.... Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

Any confirmation on if Bowles took back playcalling?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:38 pm GMC still a fan.

I don’t care what anyone says, this man is a Buc legend and I love him. Got way too much hate from fans because he wasn’t mean like Sapp or Suh.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:26 pm Thompkins and Edmonds each only touched the ball twice but both did some really tough running to get hard-earned first downs on that TD drive to open that half. Kudos gentlemen, way to earn your gamechecks.

D White had a hell of a game in route to his DPOY season.... Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

White played like a DPOY and I'm hard on him. PFF even gave him a 90.7.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:08 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:26 pm Thompkins and Edmonds each only touched the ball twice but both did some really tough running to get hard-earned first downs on that TD drive to open that half. Kudos gentlemen, way to earn your gamechecks.

White played like a DPOY and I'm hard on him. PFF even gave him a 90.7.
Dang, they hated him his whole career too
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Did Markees Watts have any snaps this game? Was he even active?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Jonny wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:17 pm Did Markees Watts have any snaps this game? Was he even active?
@mdb1958?
Don't tread on me
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:00 pm
Jonny wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:17 pm Did Markees Watts have any snaps this game? Was he even active?
@mdb1958?
I thought the exact same.. then realized the question was readable, so not him