Week One Rapid Reactions

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
These Are The Days

Re: Week One Rapid Reactions

Post by These Are The Days »

Another reaction. Canales managed to (despite a horrific start) get more out of Baker effing Mayfield in half a game than Leftwich could out of Tom Brady in an entire season on his own. Canales might end of being terrible in his own right but Lefty never managed a win without exacting the most excruciating amount of pain possible for even so much as a 1st down. I don't even want to imagine how bad it would have been had we not enjoyed Tom Brady and the random acts of God that come with him last season
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:53 pm Another reaction. Canales managed to (despite a horrific start) get more out of Baker effing Mayfield in half a game than Leftwich could out of Tom Brady in an entire season on his own. Canales might end of being terrible in his own right but Lefty never managed a win without exacting the most excruciating amount of pain possible for even so much as a 1st down. I don't even want to imagine how bad it would have been had we not enjoyed Tom Brady and the random acts of God that come with him last season
3 first downs (T H R E E !) to close out the final quarter while trying to nurse a 3-point lead in a hostile stadium.

Lots of game balls to pass out today.
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

From a Vikings perspective, this game kind of shows why I think Kirk Cousins is the biggest fraud QB in football. I’m not saying he stinks or he’s the reason we pulled the upset today, but his numbers on paper look fire while the actual production on the field not so much.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:00 pm From a Vikings perspective, this game kind of shows why I think Kirk Cousins is the biggest fraud QB in football. I’m not saying he stinks or he’s the reason we pulled the upset today, but his numbers on paper look fire while the actual production on the field not so much.
I’ve been reading comments on their communities since the game’s been over. The fans hate him and they think this Vikings team is a fraud. and always will be until big changes happen.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Vikes were 11-0 in 1 score games last year.

We made them 0-1 in such games to start this season.
Most hated man in America.
Pelagic_and_Pewter

Post by Pelagic_and_Pewter »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:06 pm Vikes were 11-0 in 1 score games last year.

That's an insane record if you think about it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Pelagic_and_Pewter wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:10 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:06 pm Vikes were 11-0 in 1 score games last year.

Yep. And it's also completely unsustainable as well. That's some next level voodoo type luck.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:13 pm

Yep. And it's also completely unsustainable as well. That's some next level voodoo type luck.
It takes a small degree of luck to win any close game but what probably stood out the most is that the Bucs composed themselves after a call didn't go their way (DPI) and the game was tied. I don't know if this is even a good team. It's too early to say. But great teams? They do that every game and win. We did what a great team does. At least just for this week. Those were the games we lost and I don't think I want to count that high as to how many
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Most of those 11 one score wins were against unimpressive teams except an OT win against Buffalo. They got blown out hard more times than they had impressive victories. It was a weird season, kind of reminded me of a more successful version of the 2010 Bucs that won a bunch of close games against mediocre to bad teams and got stomped against good teams.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

We won a trap game, one they stepped in.

The media had our team as bottom feeders and they only had four days from today until they're on the road in Philly. I know I'd have been tempted to slip some Iggles time into film room study during the preseason... maybe they did. Or maybe they took for granted that being at home would be enough, with their mighty QB and all.

Without that 57-yard FG, this game would have looked different. Probably OT in Minnesota, maybe we dig it out, but probably we don't. As it was Baker played well enough to win, he was our Bull today.
Pelagic_and_Pewter

Post by Pelagic_and_Pewter »

Absolutely unsustainable.

My comment was more towards the sheer "voodoo type luck" that you so accurately worded.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

The Good: The defense was awesome against one of the best offenses from last year...maybe they are worse this year, but I really liked the coverage, hustle, line play overall. Baker showed heart and the halftime adjustments were great. Great kicking.

The Bad: Under 250 total yards and 20 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season. Maybe they are better this year or maybe it's a rough season again, offensively.

I think it's game 1 under a new coach with a new QB and things will get better. The first half was awful until the final drive, but things got better in the second half. I hope to see us continue to improve.

Honestly I loved this game. Fun to watch.
Last edited by uscbucsfan1 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

These are the type of games we should expect from the Bucs this year. We're not blowing out anyone offensively. Ball control, no mistakes, keep the other team off the field, but close in the 4th.

Props to Devin White and Baker Mayfield for my Defensive and Offensive Players of the Game. Jake Camarda was awesome too!

I hope Kancey is ok. Thank goodness we have a kicker that can make a 50+ yard FG. Huge win. I love seeing JJ staying on the bench after the game.

Wishes: I want to see more Sean Tucker, Chris Godwin, and Trey Palmer.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:00 pm From a Vikings perspective, this game kind of shows why I think Kirk Cousins is the biggest fraud QB in football. I’m not saying he stinks or he’s the reason we pulled the upset today, but his numbers on paper look fire while the actual production on the field not so much.
I think when they lost their Center early on it played a factor
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

We looked like a competitive, cohesive team today; which is all I was hoping to see. The win was a Christmas bonus.

I think it’s worth mentioning that Minnesota couldn’t do shit against our defense in the first half until Kancey went out.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Did we look better this game than we did all of last year?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

My final rapid reaction was, fuck the Vikings!
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:22 pm Did we look better this game than we did all of last year?
No. We honestly didn't "look" very good for most of the game. The numbers back that up.

Just 242 yards of offense. 6-17 on 3rd down or 35%. 2.2 yards per rush attempt.

The difference is in this game we forced turnovers, didn't turn the ball over, didn't commit stupid penalties. That alone will help you "look" better.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Shades of Brad Johnson... Say what you will about Baker, the team rallies around him. Gutsy player.

Mike (66 yards) on pace for another thousand-yard season.

Bullshit call on (what) pass interference, as well as the non-call PI that Mike wanted.

We normally lose games like this. Props to the team for staying strong and loyal.
These Are The Days

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:22 pm Did we look better this game than we did all of last year?
That is a resounding yes. Defensively what we saw was on par with last year. What you saw today offensively is what happens when the whole fucking stadium doesn't know your next play ala Baltimore practically calling out our offense before it happened. Now do that for basically an entire season

You can lose with shoddy talent but coaching *THAT BAD* proved to us all it can hold back even Tom Brady
Last edited by These Are The Days on Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I saw a team today. That is a good thing. Last year I got the feeling everyone was waiting for Brady to make a play to win.
These Are The Days

13F11B wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:56 pm I saw a team today. That is a good thing. Last year I got the feeling everyone was waiting for Brady to make a play to win.
I mean, they kind of were
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:26 pm
No. We honestly didn't "look" very good for most of the game. The numbers back that up.

Just 242 yards of offense. 6-17 on 3rd down or 35%. 2.2 yards per rush attempt.

The difference is in this game we forced turnovers, didn't turn the ball over, didn't commit stupid penalties. That alone will help you "look" better.
Now they need to clean up the drops and red-line those plays to Ko.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Ok so I wanted Trask over baker by a wide margin and was pissed it didn’t happen. And there is the entire season to play. Boy, do I hope by game 7 I have to come on here and humbly admit I was wrong and that Baker Mayfield is the Stetson Bennet of the NFL and we hit the jackpot, like the patriots did once upon a time in the 6th round. If that all happens I will be ecstatic to be wrong.
I said what I said

_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

If the Bengals are done with Burrow, we'll take him.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Also I anyone can find a gif or video of Tompkins flip at the very end of the last play- I would love to have it- it was spectacular!
I said what I said

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

For the 2-3 snaps Kancey seemed to play, he had a major impact forcing errant throw from Cousins on. 3rd down. The pass rush from D-line was otherwise mediocre most of the game. I hope Kancey can play a least the week after.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:35 pm The Good: The defense was awesome against one of the best offenses from last year...maybe they are worse this year, but I really liked the coverage, hustle, line play overall. Baker showed heart and the halftime adjustments were great. Great kicking.

The Bad: Under 250 total yards and 20 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season. Maybe they are better this year or maybe it's a rough season again, offensively.

I think it's game 1 under a new coach with a new QB and things will get better. The first half was awful until the final drive, but things got better in the second half. I hope to see us continue to improve.

Honestly I loved this game. Fun to watch.

9 quarterback hurries - only one by the interior defensive line and that was Kancey.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Is this right? 3 turnovers - 3 points.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:54 pm Is this right? 3 turnovers - 3 points.
No, it isn't right
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:57 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:54 pm Is this right? 3 turnovers - 3 points.
No, it isn't right
Seems like it is. One field goal after the 2nd fumble.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:21 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:57 pm

No, it isn't right
Then why did you ask if you already knew?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:25 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Then why did you ask if you already knew?
I just now looked at the play by play.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I was thinking Trask was coming in the second half like most of you. Baker seemed off. Some said he looked nervous, and maybe he should have played more in the preseason. Ko Kief definitely needed to.

Second half Baker is who I hoped he would be. As I hoped, maybe humility will make him stop turning the ball over. I didn't see any turnover worthy passes and he held onto the ball when hit.

The defense was like 2020 team. Had drives that were headscratcher, some of those headscratchers ended in turnovers, and our defense played lights out in the 4th.

Thompkins looks like a steal, and Palmer has a nose for the endzone. Other than Darden, it looks like Licht is good at evaluating WRs. I cannot analyze OL play, but what is with the run game not opening holes all game? I would complain more about the backs, but way too many runs that i saw no holes at all. Maybe the back should have bounced it out? IDK, but i also saw the Vikings with their entire front 7 on the line pre-snap