***Official 2023 NFL Season Thread***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: ***Official 2023 NFL Season Thread***

Post by kaimaru »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:55 am McDaniels just like like a miserable person to be around. Couldn't imagine how much of a dick he was to play for. I know my wife is going to be happy when she finds out he's gone.

I'm sure maybe one or two slipped my mind, but after 20+ years of Patriots HC hires, has a single one actually worked out? And with Bill looking more foolish every year that goes by, made the "Patriot Way" has always been "just have Tom Brady as your QB".
I said that before when Brady came here and everyone thought he was washed up. The nonsense that it was both together
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Jonny wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:49 am
BucsNBills wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:55 am McDaniels just like like a miserable person to be around. Couldn't imagine how much of a dick he was to play for. I know my wife is going to be happy when she finds out he's gone.

I'm sure maybe one or two slipped my mind, but after 20+ years of Patriots HC hires, has a single one actually worked out? And with Bill looking more foolish every year that goes by, made the "Patriot Way" has always been "just have Tom Brady as your QB".
Vrabel has been a fine coach.
Vrabel played for the Pats. I would not call him being from the Bill Belichick tree
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 pm He also was 3rd in scoring and yards with Jameis. Higher than any finished Dirk Koetter before him ever had with Jameis or anyone else in his 14 years calling offenses. Probably true for a lot of OCs. But we don't talk about that. We enjoy the drag.
That's more than likely the influence of Arians and his red pen than any abilities of Leftwich. During the time Arians was here the offense flowed better and adjustments were made during the game. After he retired and Leftwich wasn't having his game plans edited, things went downhill fast with the greatest QB to ever play the game. There's a reason that teams have been turning down opportunities to interview him since he was fired.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What will the Titans quarterback Levis do for an encore tonight?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

1 TD, three turnovers is my guess
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Short week, 1st road start, hostile environment, pretty good defense. Yea, might be a tough night for Levis.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What you guys think of a possible Kirk Cousins to the 49ers next year?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Kirk will go rehab in SF before taking over for Purdy late next year.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:43 am
Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 pm He also was 3rd in scoring and yards with Jameis. Higher than any finished Dirk Koetter before him ever had with Jameis or anyone else in his 14 years calling offenses. Probably true for a lot of OCs. But we don't talk about that. We enjoy the drag.
That's more than likely the influence of Arians and his red pen than any abilities of Leftwich. During the time Arians was here the offense flowed better and adjustments were made during the game. After he retired and Leftwich wasn't having his game plans edited, things went downhill fast with the greatest QB to ever play the game. There's a reason that teams have been turning down opportunities to interview him since he was fired.
People love to bring up Arian's red pen. How do we know that Bowles doesn't have a black marker? During the time Bowles has been head coach the offense has been dreadful even w/o Leftwich. In 2015 The Jets scored 24.2. 2016 16.8. 2017 18.6 and 2018 20.8. With the Bucs 18.4 and 17.3. Arians helped Leftwich and probably would have helped Canales. Bowles probably does the opposite. The simple fact is that we just do not know what plays are or were being edited. Claiming that there was a reason for something w/o elaborating on what that reason was is meaningless.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:06 am 1 TD, three turnovers is my guess
Only had 1 turnover but didn't even muster up a TD. Close to what you would've expected though going into his 2nd start and given the circumstances.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Onthebrink wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:02 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:43 am

People love to bring up Arian's red pen. How do we know that Bowles doesn't have a black marker? During the time Bowles has been head coach the offense has been dreadful even w/o Leftwich. In 2015 The Jets scored 24.2. 2016 16.8. 2017 18.6 and 2018 20.8. With the Bucs 18.4 and 17.3. Arians helped Leftwich and probably would have helped Canales. Bowles probably does the opposite. The simple fact is that we just do not know what plays are or were being edited. Claiming that there was a reason for something w/o elaborating on what that reason was is meaningless.
I've actually mentioned that before, Bowles said last year that he told Leftwich he'd like to run the ball more. And he reiterated it this off season.

But if you watch the plays from when Arians was here, then when Leftwich was in charge and now Canales you can see differences in things like route concepts. Under Arians, we had more routes and plays that help receivers get open instead of just relying on them beating their guy. Better zone busting calls - Leftwich looked like a coordinator that'd scheme for the defense they were playing this week. On his own, the passing game stuff was really bad. Same few plays every week, without Brady's ability and him taking over in the two minute drill situations I shudder to think of how historically bad we would have been last year. With Canales, the play designs (outside of the runs between the tackles) are actually good. There's complimentary routes being run by the receivers to scheme someone open. Evans and Godwin don't seem like they have to make a contested catch every play. It's been a lot of not great decisions by Mayfield or bad passes.

As for Bowles with the Jets, his GM did him no favors with the players on the offensive side of the ball. His starting QBs were Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown and Sam Darnold. His first season as Jets HC was also Fitzpatrick's best as a QB, the last great season for Brandon Marshall and a Probowl season from Chris Ivory at RB. That 24.2 points per game was good enough for 11th in the NFL and a 10-6 record. Following season, Fitzpatrick turned back into Fitztragic, Marshall fell off of a cliff and Ivory was replaced with an aging Matt Forte. Maybe Bowles had more of a say over who to draft/sign as a FA than most coaches do, but to my knowledge a lot of that is handled at the front office level/scouting department.

Bowles definitely isn't a great HC, and I do think he's partially at fault for the running game issues (the plays look a lot like last season's in that part of the game) but there is a marked improvement in the passing schemes from Leftwich without Arians to Canales.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Pirate Life wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:16 am
Onthebrink wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:02 pm

I've actually mentioned that before, Bowles said last year that he told Leftwich he'd like to run the ball more. And he reiterated it this off season.

But if you watch the plays from when Arians was here, then when Leftwich was in charge and now Canales you can see differences in things like route concepts. Under Arians, we had more routes and plays that help receivers get open instead of just relying on them beating their guy. Better zone busting calls - Leftwich looked like a coordinator that'd scheme for the defense they were playing this week. On his own, the passing game stuff was really bad. Same few plays every week, without Brady's ability and him taking over in the two minute drill situations I shudder to think of how historically bad we would have been last year. With Canales, the play designs (outside of the runs between the tackles) are actually good. There's complimentary routes being run by the receivers to scheme someone open. Evans and Godwin don't seem like they have to make a contested catch every play. It's been a lot of not great decisions by Mayfield or bad passes.

As for Bowles with the Jets, his GM did him no favors with the players on the offensive side of the ball. His starting QBs were Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown and Sam Darnold. His first season as Jets HC was also Fitzpatrick's best as a QB, the last great season for Brandon Marshall and a Probowl season from Chris Ivory at RB. That 24.2 points per game was good enough for 11th in the NFL and a 10-6 record. Following season, Fitzpatrick turned back into Fitztragic, Marshall fell off of a cliff and Ivory was replaced with an aging Matt Forte. Maybe Bowles had more of a say over who to draft/sign as a FA than most coaches do, but to my knowledge a lot of that is handled at the front office level/scouting department.

Bowles definitely isn't a great HC, and I do think he's partially at fault for the running game issues (the plays look a lot like last season's in that part of the game) but there is a marked improvement in the passing schemes from Leftwich without Arians to Canales.
With Canales the unfortunate issue seems to be his play sequencing and inability to get rhythm for the offense based on the choice of plays he tends to go with. I saw a great film breakdown from a YouTuber on Bucs passing game against the Bills. On many critical 3rd downs, Canales had called plays where our WRs are crowded in a region along with defenders, preventing any of them to get open. Or in some cases all WRs being asked to run curl routes within the 1st down marker, so even if Baker completes, it's a guaranteed punt. His best passing play design seems to weirdly come on 1st and 2nd downs where Baker or O-line don't do their part. A lot of burden is being put on Baker as of now, even though we all know Baker is just average.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Jonny wrote "A lot of burden is being put on Baker as of now, even though we all know Baker is just average."
Baker is below average. And as far as the play calling, is Baker failing to call an audible or is calling an audible when it is not needed?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Jonny wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:23 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:16 am

With Canales the unfortunate issue seems to be his play sequencing and inability to get rhythm for the offense based on the choice of plays he tends to go with. I saw a great film breakdown from a YouTuber on Bucs passing game against the Bills. On many critical 3rd downs, Canales had called plays where our WRs are crowded in a region along with defenders, preventing any of them to get open. Or in some cases all WRs being asked to run curl routes within the 1st down marker, so even if Baker completes, it's a guaranteed punt. His best passing play design seems to weirdly come on 1st and 2nd downs where Baker or O-line don't do their part. A lot of burden is being put on Baker as of now, even though we all know Baker is just average.
A lot of blame has been put on the young receivers that they are running the wrong routes. That may be what you are seeing when they are crowded as we Thompkins and Palmer in together on multiple snaps in the Bills game
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That’s insane.

#49ers DE Arik Armstead revealed a picture of his game checks and the amount he loses to taxes is WILD…

He’s making just under $400,000 a game and loses 49 percent of it to taxes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:39 pm That’s insane.

#49ers DE Arik Armstead revealed a picture of his game checks and the amount he loses to taxes is WILD…

??? MB want's it to be more.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doesn't look like he's contributing to any pre-tax benefits/retirement accounts...mistake #1, big fella!
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Yes
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

… I feel awful for him …
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He doesn’t “lose” it. He gets taxed. Because he’s in California and makes a shit ton of cash.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Are we really trying to make a guy who took home a shade under $200k for a 2 week period into a victim? Fuck outta here.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not to mention look what he was wearing, he was practically asking for it!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:34 pm He doesn’t “lose” it. He gets taxed. Because he’s in California and makes a shit ton of cash.
The state tax portion "only" comes up to $40k+. The majority of the tax taken out is federal.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:36 pm Are we really trying to make a guy who took home a shade under $200k for a 2 week period into a victim? Fuck outta here.
All the taxpayers in CA are victims.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Will someone think about the millionaires!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:44 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Yes
Right. Kill all American sports. Do me a favor hit Hollywood first.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Add in how much he has to pay his agent, and he gets less than half of his paycheck.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:31 pm
_MB_ wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:44 pm
Yes
Right. Kill all American sports. Do me a favor hit Hollywood first.
I'll destroy everything you love with pleasure, and then I'll do it again for spite.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Eh, let me know how his tax return ends up. His effective tax rate is probably much lower once deductions are factored in. He donates a ton of money to various charities and runs one of his own (several articles show $250k donations to charities around SF). If he's smart with his investments, can save at tax time with dividends/capital gains also.

It's also his check from March, so it's mostly bonus money and in three months he netted $2 million. Pretty sure most of us would be happy with that sort of net income for a quarter of the year - and not even his busy season!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Who is on the hot seat?

1. Bill Belichick
2. Brandon Staley
3 Arthur Smith
4. Ron Rivera
5. Matt Eberflus
6. Mike Vrabel
7. Frank Reich

Sean McVay stay or go? Matt Stafford might retire after this season.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Michael Carter has been released by the Jets. Loved him at NC and he had some good runs and catches in 2021 where his athleticism popped. He's a great relief back to Rachaad White instead of putrid Keyshaun Vaughn and slippery Edmonds.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:17 pm Who is on the hot seat?

1. Bill Belichick
2. Brandon Staley
3 Arthur Smith
4. Ron Rivera
5. Matt Eberflus
6. Mike Vrabel
7. Frank Reich

Sean McVay stay or go? Matt Stafford might retire after this season.
The Falcons brass have already given Arthur Smith a vote of confidence and said he'd be back in 2024. Doubt Reich gets the boot after 1 season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Staffy has also said he doesn't plan on going anywhere
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah yeah, don't believe anything til it happens. Right Doctor? Speculation is always fun.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Two stories on ESPN right now.

In one of the most WTF, you're so out of touch with reality, Jim Irsay says his 2014 arrest stems from prejudice against him because he's a, "rich white billionaire."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/389 ... 014-arrest

Apparently, Drew Brees is saying he can no longer throw a football with his right arm.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/389 ... handed-now