Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

Post by Grahamburn »

4 posts worth of lightly salted cashews.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Well if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that he's playing for cashews at least.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:29 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:25 pm As much as it may suck, our best option might just be letting him test the market for himself. I seriously don’t think he’s going to get what he wants in FA and could just end up doing a new deal here. That’s literally what happened with Lavonte this offseason, everyone was freaking out he was gone but turns out he wasn’t as valued on the open market as expected.
That's apples and oranges at best. OTB LBs aren't as highly valued as #1 receivers in an increasingly evolving passing league. Look at the money guys close to Evans' age at receiver are getting. They are making bank.

1. Tyreek Hill, Miami Dolphins: $30 million (4 years, $120 million)

2. Davante Adams, Las Vegas Raiders: $28 million (5 years, $140 million)

3. Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams: $26.7 million (3 years, $80.1 million)

2 of the 3 are older than Evans BTW.
All 3 are also better than Mike. Well, 2021 Kupp was at least.

I’m sure he will have suitors, but I don’t forsee a massive contract waiting for him on the level of those players. Even if there is, the question of it being worth it has to come up. Following players will be FAs in next two years besides Mike: Lavonte, Devin, Carlton, Shaq, Godwin, AWJ, Wirfs, Hainsey. A lot of tough decisions to be made about who gets money and who moves on. I think Licht is going to hold firm on what he thinks is the best deal for the team and hope Mike’s market doesn’t outgrow that offer. But if it does, you might just have to suck it up and thank Mike for everything he did.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Miller4Prez64 the small contract players have been waiting on a raise too.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Can’t blame him for wanting the Kupp deal. They’re the same age and outside of one season Evans is mor productive on a year to year consistency basis.

Also, we don’t have a QB to pay so there’s no reason not to give Evans this money for 3 more years.

Get it done.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:42 am Can’t blame him for wanting the Kupp deal. They’re the same age and outside of one season Evans is mor productive on a year to year consistency basis.

Also, we don’t have a QB to pay so there’s no reason not to give Evans this money for 3 more years.

Get it done.

Yep, Kupp got total control and now he's ailing. We sliced our throat with Gage and you want to roll the dice again.

Plus lose more players.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:57 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:42 am Can’t blame him for wanting the Kupp deal. They’re the same age and outside of one season Evans is mor productive on a year to year consistency basis.

Get it done.

Yep, Kupp got total control and now he's ailing. We sliced our throat with Gage and you want to roll the dice again.

Plus lose more players.
Mike Evans is far from a roll of the dice. You can set your watch to him. And like I said there's a good chance the QB for the remainder of Evans' career will be on a rookie contract so you can afford to splurge at WR and still pay your other guys.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I think they should trade him. His best days are behind him and they have many other players to sign over the next few years. Let Godwin step in to the top role and give Palmer an audition in the number 2 role.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:04 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:57 am

Plus lose more players.
Mike Evans is far from a roll of the dice. You can set your watch to him. And like I said there's a good chance the QB for the remainder of Evans' career will be on a rookie contract so you can afford to splurge at WR and still pay your other guys.

Question, how many years did we lead the league paying for WR's since Mike? We are 3rd in spending right now.

Also, I bet I've watched fifty games where they are saying Mike's playing hurt Mike's playing hurt.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Redrum wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:13 am I think they should trade him. His best days are behind him and they have many other players to sign over the next few years. Let Godwin step in to the top role and give Palmer an audition in the number 2 role.
I don't really want that, I'm just against the size of guaranteed money which is probably the monkey wrench in it all.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:20 am
Redrum wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:13 am I think they should trade him. His best days are behind him and they have many other players to sign over the next few years. Let Godwin step in to the top role and give Palmer an audition in the number 2 role.
I don't really want that, I'm just against the size of guaranteed money which is probably the monkey wrench in it all.
Yeah I know I'm in the minority on this one but I do feel it would be in the best interest of both sides to go their separate ways. I'd deal him to a contender and I thank him for his time as a Buccaneer.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Redrum wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:24 am

Yeah I know I'm in the minority on this one but I do feel it would be in the best interest of both sides to go their separate ways. I'd deal him to a contender and I thank him for his time as a Buccaneer.

I will say this - he has 41 games of less than fifty yards.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It makes no sense to trade him now. If you’re doing that you do it 6 months ago. Not right before the season.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:48 am

It makes no sense to trade him now. If you’re doing that you do it 6 months ago. Not right before the season.
Well it would have to be done before the end of October. I don't know how week 6 would be any better.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Redrum wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:53 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:48 am

Well it would have to be done before the end of October. I don't know how week 6 would be any better.
It makes sense if they're 1-4 at that point. Then deal him if you can find a partner. Personally, I think they'll sign him before week 1. If not let him have a monster year for us and then test the market.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:08 pm
Buc2 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:06 pm I have no idea what Mike might be thinking. But if pressed, I'd say that he loves the game, loves competing, loves his team, and loves the area but not enough to play for peanuts. We'll see how this plays out, but we should at least wait until his self-imposed deadline a week from now before declaring anything.
He’s playing for cashews at least.
You can say that again, again, and again.
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Get it done.
There are plenty of reasons to not give the money. In fact, the only actual reason I can think of to cave in to his demands is out of emotional attachment to Mike. Which is what this is all about, people want to pay Mike for what he already accomplished and not what he will accomplish on a new deal in his 30s because he’s a team legend.

We need to prioritize our younger players and our future. Smart organizations don’t overpay players in their 30s for emotional reasons. It might suck having Mike leave, but it’s all on Licht and the FO for screwing the cap while Brady was here. It was all fun and games at the time, but this is the price to pay and it’s what people have been saying this whole time. People just didn’t want to hear it while we had Tom and all his buddies winning us games at the time.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Flags fly forever and I’ve witnessed two champ flags in my lifetime. watching Derrick Brooks knock on Ronde Barber’s door gives me just about as much joy as winning a Super Bowl. Which I can’t envision happening anytime soon, for a third time. I’m fine paying a little bit more for a few seasons. Because I’m not convinced that Tom Brady’s doppelgänger is walking through that door.

Mike needs to retire a Buccaneer. I’m sliding the contract in front of him and I’m saying, you’re retiring a buccaneer. We’re cashing in on all that goodwill. I don’t want you on some bullshit camp invite with the New York Giants in five years. You’re gonna get cashed out monetarily. When we both know that you’re done, let’s do it gracefully, and retire a buccaneer.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I can see Mike playing until late 30s early 40. The term he is seeking is a 3 year deal, so not exactly a retirement contract here.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:33 pm I can see Mike playing until late 30s early 40. The term he is seeking is a 3 year deal, so not exactly a retirement contract here.
Early 40s?? Not with all of the soft tissue injuries he suffers annually. They'll start to impact his play sooner rather than later.
Most hated man in America.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:37 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:33 pm I can see Mike playing until late 30s early 40. The term he is seeking is a 3 year deal, so not exactly a retirement contract here.
Early 40s?? Not with all of the soft tissue injuries he suffers annually. They'll start to impact his play sooner rather than later.
Yeah, good point. Still think he can hang in there until late 30. Maybe be a Julio Jones for some team playing in situations. Maybe more of a role if he stays healthy from now till then.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Sadly I agree.

Mike Evans, much as I love him, can pull a hammy just tying his shoes. I think the likelihood of him playing at 40 is nigh impossible, which given that only Jerry Rice was still a dude after 40 at receiver isn't a knock on Mike at all, more that performing at that age at that position is harder than getting into the Hall of Fame.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:45 pm

Yeah, good point. Still think he can hang in there until late 30. Maybe be a Julio Jones for some team playing in situations. Maybe more of a role if he stays healthy from now till then.
Julio is a good example of why Evans playing to 40 isn't very likely. Hes only 34 and his decline started in his age 31 season. Injuries started becoming a much bigger factor in his play. We foolishly expected the hands of time to turn backwards but sure enough, injuries played a role last season for Julio.

Evans could be on a similar trajectory and that may play a role ultimately in what OBP decides to offer him
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Mike already showed signs of decline last season. He was inefficient for most of the year outside of the second Carolina game. Combine that with his declining age, poor QB room and lack of cap space with abundance of players looking for money it’s easy to see why OBP isn’t willing to just give Mike Evans what he wants.

The organization does want to keep him, or else they would have already sold him to the highest bidder this offseason. Most NFL teams would have shipped the aging star for picks in this situation. But we still can’t just give him what he wants. We can’t kill our future because we all love Mike Evans. People will forget that love quick two years from now if the Bucs are horrible and low on options to improve.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:31 am

If you take out the games versus Lattimore, its 23 versus everyone else I am guessing?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:14 pm

Julio is a good example of why Evans playing to 40 isn't very likely. Hes only 34 and his decline started in his age 31 season. Injuries started becoming a much bigger factor in his play. We foolishly expected the hands of time to turn backwards but sure enough, injuries played a role last season for Julio.

Evans could be on a similar trajectory and that may play a role ultimately in what OBP decides to offer him
Hey now, Julio wasn't on the TB12 rejuvenation program. ME13 is. He literally said he has never felt better or more explosive coming into this camp. If he would stop pulling his groin, he can have TB level longetivity /s
MJW

Post by MJW »

I think Mike will age a little bit better because the best parts of his game age well. He's not going to get shorter. He's not going to lose his great hands. He might lose a little off the vert but he'll still win more jumps than he loses. And his red-zone spidey sense is for life.

I could see him being a plus contributor into his mid-thirties. Forties not so much, being how the only player in NFL history with more than 6 receiving yards is Jerry Rice (check out who has the six yards, it's a gas.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:24 pm

I think Mike will age a little bit better because the best parts of his game age well. He's not going to get shorter. He's not going to lose his great hands. He might lose a little off the vert but he'll still win more jumps than he loses. And his red-zone spidey sense is for life.

I could see him being a plus contributor into his mid-thirties. Forties not so much, being how the only player in NFL history with more than 6 receiving yards is Jerry Rice (check out who has the six yards, it's a gas.)
Julio's decline didn't have as much to do with his ability as it had to do with his availability. His last "full" season was 2019 when he played 15 games. Since then he's played in 29 of 48 games.

That's what I mean when I say Evans could be on a similar trajectory. Those soft tissue injuries could become more serious as he ages and start keeping him off the field. That no doubt is something OBP will take into account.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I'm told over the course of talks between both sides, the #Bucs received a contract structure that's acceptable to Mike Evans, and takes Tampa's considerations into account as well, per source.
https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/stat ... 27261?s=21
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:48 am
I'm told over the course of talks between both sides, the #Bucs received a contract structure that's acceptable to Mike Evans, and takes Tampa's considerations into account as well, per source.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Well good. Now sign the man.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I love Mike so much
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Fun fact: Randy Moss had 43 games of less than 50 yards at the same point in his career, including 1 in the post season.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:47 am

Fun fact: Randy Moss had 43 games of less than 50 yards at the same point in his career, including 1 in the post season.
Here's another - he played for 4 different teams going after that money.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

You are not alone. Ive been thinking about this since this news came out. Now, I'm starting to lean toward your way of thinking too as I weigh both sides of the coin. But if we were to trade Evans then Godwin too because if we are bringing in a "Caleeb Williams" I would prefer he has younger weapons.
Last edited by Central_Buc on Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.