Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:42 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:25 pm Noler - Kuup's birthdate is 6/15/93.
Then how the hell did he get drafted in 2017 and Evans in 2014?
Some players stay in college longer. Some a short while. Evans was only 20 when we drafted him. Kupp was 24 when the Rams drafted him.
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:59 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:53 pm

It’s almost certainty that the Buccaneers will be acquiring a young quarterback - probably a highly selected rookie quarterback - in the next 12 months. Mike Evans is the exact WR you want for that type of quarterback. Huge catch radius. Wins one vs ones. Reliable Redzone target. Wins contested throws.
And this is a good counterpoint.

Look, I'd like Mike to stay. I mean, what fan wouldn't. Hell, what coach wouldn't? But, even if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on what this team is going to do over the next 8 days with this situation. Regardless, as a forever Buc fan, whatever they do, I can be 90% certain they botch this.

I'm looking for 500 yards his first three games because Tom couldnt be consistent with him.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:03 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:59 pm
And this is a good counterpoint.

Look, I'd like Mike to stay. I mean, what fan wouldn't. Hell, what coach wouldn't? But, even if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on what this team is going to do over the next 8 days with this situation. Regardless, as a forever Buc fan, whatever they do, I can be 90% certain they botch this.

I'm looking for 500 yards his first three games because Tom couldnt be consistent with him.
You might not be far off in that prediction. But I'd bet more on Godwin because Baker won't have enough protection to get the ball downfield to Mike. Godwin will get the production because he'll be the underneath guy and Baker will have enough time to hit him underneath.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:15 pm

You might not be far off in that prediction. But I'd bet more on Godwin because Baker won't have enough protection to get the ball downfield to Mike. Godwin will get the production because he'll be the underneath guy and Baker will have enough time to hit him underneath.
Not the same offense. We don't really know how either of them will be utilized.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Sounds like a scummy agent got in his ear.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Some thoughts that coexist for me:

- I want him to retire a Buc.
- I do not think he's worth Cooper Kupp money and I think - logistically speaking - it's probably a mistake to give it to him.
- I will get over it if we make that mistake however.
- I do not blame him if he wants to get out of town and avoid another rebuild here.
- If OBP knows they're not going to reach his number, the smart thing to do would be to deal him. Assuming he's healthy and productive, we could almost certainly get a 2nd Rounder mid-season from a contender.
- Whatever happens from here on out, I look forward to his ROH Ceremony and #13 going to the rafters.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

FWIW, I think he just wants out of Tampa. He likely wants the middle-age of his career to mean something. If that's the case, I'd respect that and get value for him right now. Imagine what he does for Buffalo, KC, even Detroit or the Jets.
Let's roll another joint
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:10 pm FWIW, I think he just wants out of Tampa. He likely wants the middle-age of his career to mean something. If that's the case, I'd respect that and get value for him right now. Imagine what he does for Buffalo, KC, even Detroit or the Jets.
That goes against everything he's ever said. Even when not prompted or asked he's said he wants to be a Buc for life.

Things can definitely change but I see this eventually working out. Both sides would have to be very far apart for Mike not to return. Mike wants to be here and he's Licht's 1st draft pick.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:14 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:10 pm FWIW, I think he just wants out of Tampa. He likely wants the middle-age of his career to mean something. If that's the case, I'd respect that and get value for him right now. Imagine what he does for Buffalo, KC, even Detroit or the Jets.
That goes against everything he's ever said. Even when not prompted or asked he's said he wants to be a Buc for life.

Things can definitely change but I see this eventually working out. Both sides would have to be very far apart for Mike not to return. Mike wants to be here and he's Licht's 1st draft pick.
“Buc for life”
Enter Mayfield…
Yeah fuck that
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:15 pm

That's the whole reason to run this style, bootleg out of the pocket and play action to give extra time if the line is playing like crap. So you can take shots. Also Canales said that Evens will be all over like Godwin. It won't be go routes 2 out of 3 snaps
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Here is a thought, as a 10 year tenured player, if Mike walks we can only get a 5th round pick in 2025 even if he cashes in top 10 WR money elsewhere. Being 19 million under the cap for next year, there is no way we can tag him for 28.5 million. If the owners are unwilling to pay him, the smart move is to deal him now, maybe to the Jets for a premium pick since they are going all in and have some cap room (cap space 20 million). We could probably get a second rounder for him. So pay him or trade him are my choices
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I want Mike to do what is best for Mike. As a fan of the Buccaneers, I hope he stays with the Buccaneers. I think he is a better receiver than Kupp. I thought he was the best receiver in his draft class when the Buccaneers took him.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I just thought, Wirfs and DW are free agents. My belief is if DW shows improvements they may tag him and throw Wirfs a deal sometime right before free agency. I doubt they will fight too much with Wirfs considering his age assuming he balls out this year like he usually does
MJW

Post by MJW »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:14 pm

I hope you're right. I don't want him to go anywhere.
Let's roll another joint
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:38 pm I just thought, Wirfs and DW are free agents. My belief is if DW shows improvements they may tag him and throw Wirfs a deal sometime right before free agency. I doubt they will fight too much with Wirfs considering his age assuming he balls out this year like he usually does
Wirfs is not a FA to be.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Truly believe this is just Evans having an incompetent agent. That statement reads like it was written by a ten year old.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

real bucs fan wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:48 am Truly believe this is just Evans having an incompetent agent. That statement reads like it was written by a ten year old.
That may very well be but I do not find it of any consequence. The Bucs still have a few more good years to win a title. Everyone's just down and freaking out because we lost Brady and therefore we're lucky to not go 0-17 and even win a game. Giving Evans a retirement contract is (regardless of what we do) the most sound and intelligent investment the Bucs can make.

You only live once. Pay the man and if Baker isn't the answer, we will find one. If Evans doesn't want to stay he doesn't have to sign anything
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

There have already been articles written by so called "experts" predicting where Evans will be traded to.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

These Are The Days wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:23 am
real bucs fan wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:48 am Truly believe this is just Evans having an incompetent agent. That statement reads like it was written by a ten year old.
That may very well be but I do not find it of any consequence. The Bucs still have a few more good years to win a title. Everyone's just down and freaking out because we lost Brady and therefore we're lucky to not go 0-17 and even win a game. Giving Evans a retirement contract is (regardless of what we do) the most sound and intelligent investment the Bucs can make.

You only live once. Pay the man and if Baker isn't the answer, we will find one. If Evans doesn't want to stay he doesn't have to sign anything
Yeah, this is what I don't get it either. This team lost a handful of guys since 2020, did not lose the nucleus of its championship roster. So this doom and gloom is all because the National media thinks this or that, forgetting this is still a dominant defense. Kancy, Diaby, SirVocia Dennis, I can't wait to see the impact of this group.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I think you are off on this one. Almost none of those contending teams can pay him what he wants. He’s already been taking paycuts to win, and got a ring out of it already so why would he want to keep that going for a new team? He wants his big bag because he’s never going to be in position to demand one again. I think Bootz is right in that now that Brady is gone he’s probably looking back and realizing he should have just cashed out since the ring did nothing to change his legacy with most people.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I have no idea what Mike might be thinking. But if pressed, I'd say that he loves the game, loves competing, loves his team, and loves the area but not enough to play for peanuts. We'll see how this plays out, but we should at least wait until his self-imposed deadline a week from now before declaring anything.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:48 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:23 am

Yeah, this is what I don't get it either. This team lost a handful of guys since 2020, did not lose the nucleus of its championship roster. So this doom and gloom is all because the National media thinks this or that, forgetting this is still a dominant defense. Kancy, Diaby, SirVocia Dennis, I can't wait to see the impact of this group.
“Lost a couple guys”. …Huh? We lost 3-4 hall of fame players, a well respected and capable head coach, and absolutely all of our depth. But yeah, other than that, the core is intact…
MJW

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:58 pm
I think you are off on this one. Almost none of those contending teams can pay him what he wants. He’s already been taking paycuts to win, and got a ring out of it already so why would he want to keep that going for a new team? He wants his big bag because he’s never going to be in position to demand one again. I think Bootz is right in that now that Brady is gone he’s probably looking back and realizing he should have just cashed out since the ring did nothing to change his legacy with most people.
I hope I am off on that. I don't want Mike to ever play in a different jersey.

I also wouldn't blame him in the least if he didn't want to go through another rebuild.

Basically, whatever Mike wants, barring a Justin Jefferson type contract, I hope we give the man.
Let's roll another joint
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

As much as it may suck, our best option might just be letting him test the market for himself. I seriously don’t think he’s going to get what he wants in FA and could just end up doing a new deal here. That’s literally what happened with Lavonte this offseason, everyone was freaking out he was gone but turns out he wasn’t as valued on the open market as expected.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:25 pm As much as it may suck, our best option might just be letting him test the market for himself. I seriously don’t think he’s going to get what he wants in FA and could just end up doing a new deal here. That’s literally what happened with Lavonte this offseason, everyone was freaking out he was gone but turns out he wasn’t as valued on the open market as expected.
In LVD’s case, it’s because teams are just retarded.

But your point stands.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:25 pm As much as it may suck, our best option might just be letting him test the market for himself. I seriously don’t think he’s going to get what he wants in FA and could just end up doing a new deal here. That’s literally what happened with Lavonte this offseason, everyone was freaking out he was gone but turns out he wasn’t as valued on the open market as expected.
That's apples and oranges at best. OTB LBs aren't as highly valued as #1 receivers in an increasingly evolving passing league. Look at the money guys close to Evans' age at receiver are getting. They are making bank.

1. Tyreek Hill, Miami Dolphins: $30 million (4 years, $120 million)

2. Davante Adams, Las Vegas Raiders: $28 million (5 years, $140 million)

3. Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams: $26.7 million (3 years, $80.1 million)

2 of the 3 are older than Evans BTW.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Mike has stepped up whenever this team has needed anything. Restructure, then restructure the restructure. He loves it here, and the fans LOVE him. The is absolutely no way that the Bucs FO doesn't know this. I don't think Mike WANTS to go anywhere. He already has a SB win. But the man deserves to GET PAID, and he knows this.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Got to make the guaranteed money less destructive.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:57 pm Got to make the guaranteed money less destructive.
Guaranteed money becomes irrelevant if you end up keeping the player.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:29 pm
That's apples and oranges at best. OTB LBs aren't as highly valued as #1 receivers in an increasingly evolving passing league. Look at the money guys close to Evans' age at receiver are getting. They are making bank.

1. Tyreek Hill, Miami Dolphins: $30 million (4 years, $120 million)

2. Davante Adams, Las Vegas Raiders: $28 million (5 years, $140 million)

3. Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams: $26.7 million (3 years, $80.1 million)

2 of the 3 are older than Evans BTW.
Good points all around.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:59 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:57 pm Got to make the guaranteed money less destructive.
Guaranteed money becomes irrelevant if you end up keeping the player.

No guaranteed money becomes irrelevant if you end up keeping the player.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:06 pm I have no idea what Mike might be thinking. But if pressed, I'd say that he loves the game, loves competing, loves his team, and loves the area but not enough to play for peanuts. We'll see how this plays out, but we should at least wait until his self-imposed deadline a week from now before declaring anything.
He’s playing for cashews at least.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:06 pm I have no idea what Mike might be thinking. But if pressed, I'd say that he loves the game, loves competing, loves his team, and loves the area but not enough to play for peanuts. We'll see how this plays out, but we should at least wait until his self-imposed deadline a week from now before declaring anything.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »