Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

Post by Bootz »

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/20 ... utType=amp

Stroud is reporting, so proceed with caution. But this is something that will linger over this franchise until it happens. Evans is in his contract year. I'm not sure we would franchise tag a 31 year old receiver, no matter how great he's been. It's disheartening that a deal couldn't be reached. But we'll see where this goes.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Re: Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

Post by Snake »

If he’s walking, get a 2nd rounder from NYG at the deadline. I’m feeling optimistic.

But seriously, sign him.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

While I prefer he stay, I can understand why the organization is skeptical to give him another big contract as he enters his 30s. The franchise is going towards a youth movement and Mike may be victim to it, whether we like it or not.

Hopefully we figure something out and he can be a Buc lifer, but nobody can be upset with getting a decade from a player of his caliber.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

He will have to choose, be it money or his place in history. How many in history get to start their historical mark in history at 20?

Kuup is starting his 7th year and he is already 30.

Not even sure there is an active player that is a threat to him.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The hot-blooded fan in me wants Evans to be a Buc for life because damnit he's the best player in franchise history on his side of the ball, and we should treat him well as he ages with grace as we've done with Lavonte David. The cold-hearted pretend-GM in me thinks that overpaying for an aging receiver out of nostalgia and gratitude is probably a losing move and will only prolong our cap and franchise reset.

Either way I'm probably going to be unhappy about it.

In such a case it becomes not about me, but about Mike. Whatever he wants to do, chase the money/rings or stay in Tampa, I am 100% on board.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:55 am The hot-blooded fan in me wants Evans to be a Buc for life because damnit he's the best player in franchise history on his side of the ball, and we should treat him well as he ages with grace as we've done with Lavonte David. The cold-hearted pretend-GM in me thinks that overpaying for an aging receiver out of nostalgia and gratitude is probably a losing move and will only prolong our cap and franchise reset.

Either way I'm probably going to be unhappy about it.

In such a case it becomes not about me, but about Mike. Whatever he wants to do, chase the money/rings or stay in Tampa, I am 100% on board.

Mike has a better chance reaching Larry Fitzgerald's yards than he does his career earnings.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Update:
Mike Evans’ agents “have informed the Buccaneers organization that we will discontinue contract discussions as of September 9, 2023.”

They added: “We have been working on extending Mike’s career with the Bucs for over a year, and we want the fans to know this is not a tactic and the ball is in the owner’s court. That said, we are giving the Bucs until the start of the regular season to make him a Buc for Life, and if that cannot happen, 100 percent of Mike’s focus will be on football and his future and where he can continue to make an impact.”
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/383 ... tid=Zxz2cZ
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Like the JT and Lamar stuff all this doesn't mean anything. None of these deadlines are real.

I think a lot depends on his this season goes. If we're crushing it and he's clicking with Mayfield, he'll want to stay and we'll want to have him.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Can't help but think a lot depends how we start and how Baker does.

Like an 0-4 start will decide what happens here.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Mike Evans (groin) questionable wk1
Kress

Post by Kress »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:27 am Mike Evans (groin) questionable wk1
Licht kicked him square in the jimmies.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Kress wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:40 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:27 am Mike Evans (groin) questionable wk1
Licht kicked him square in the jimmies.
Seems like in his 9 years there is some kind of issue to start the season.
JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

Being reported that Evans' Agent has set a deadline of Sept. 9th to get a deal done.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Cheb is he looking for a 3 year fully guaranteed (large) deal?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:04 am @Cheb is he looking for a 3 year fully guaranteed (large) deal?
I don't know, but per the MSN article posted by 13F11B:
Per Stroud, Evans is believed to be targeting Cooper Kupp money. The Super Bowl LVI MVP signed a three-year, $80.1 million deal in 2022. Of that amount, $75 million was guaranteed.
That's alot of dosh.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Cheb wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:27 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:04 am @Cheb is he looking for a 3 year fully guaranteed (large) deal?
Per Stroud, Evans is believed to be targeting Cooper Kupp money. The Super Bowl LVI MVP signed a three-year, $80.1 million deal in 2022. Of that amount, $75 million was guaranteed.
That's alot of dosh.
And now Cooper Kupp is hurt, not to mention he's three years younger than Mike Evans. I get why Evans wants a similar deal. He's put up the numbers to do it, but for a receiver on the wrong side of 30, that's not the best way to be spending that kind of money.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This is so dumb. There are a million worse ways, some of them currently rostered, to spend the money they would allocate to Mike. He's the absolute model player on the field, in the locker room, and off the field. Everything about who Mike is and what Mike does is right. He wants to be here and finish his career here. He has made that plain as day.

Given what his agents have put out there (heaping praises on JL and Greenberg), you have to wonder if the Glazers themselves are standing in the way of footing the bill for this (and you also have to wonder if JL and Greenberg put their blessings on the press release to pressure ownership to write the check). If so, it will be a complete travesty and indictment of ownership if this doesn't get done.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nobody wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:30 am This is so dumb. There are a million worse ways, some of them currently rostered, to spend the money they would allocate to Mike. He's the absolute model player on the field, in the locker room, and off the field. Everything about who Mike is and what Mike does is right. He wants to be here and finish his career here. He has made that plain as day.

Given what his agents have put out there (heaping praises on JL and Greenberg), you have to wonder if the Glazers themselves are standing in the way of footing the bill for this (and you also have to wonder if JL and Greenberg put their blessings on the press release to pressure ownership to write the check). If so, it will be a complete travesty and indictment of ownership if this doesn't get done.
No kidding. I’m one of those individuals who puts a lot of stock into team lore, and the idea of legends and building a history/culture of excellence. There is something beautiful about a guy wearing one uniform for his entire career. In addition to being a big difference maker.

Like you said. How are they going to spend that money better? Another Michael Johnson? Another Chris Baker? Another Russell Gage?

Just fucking sign the guy. Nothing in the last decade from him suggests he wants to go anywhere. He played ball in the negotiation room every time. in an era of morons at his position, he’s basically perfect off the field.

If this does come to fruition - him leaving because the Buccaneers are quibbling over money - we have woken up from the dream and are back to A Buc’s Life.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:41 am
Nobody wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:30 am This is so dumb. There are a million worse ways, some of them currently rostered, to spend the money they would allocate to Mike. He's the absolute model player on the field, in the locker room, and off the field. Everything about who Mike is and what Mike does is right. He wants to be here and finish his career here. He has made that plain as day.

No kidding. I’m one of those individuals who puts a lot of stock into team lore, and the idea of legends and building a history/culture of excellence. There is something beautiful about a guy wearing one uniform for his entire career. In addition to being a big difference maker.

Like you said. How are they going to spend that money better? Another Michael Johnson? Another Chris Baker? Another Russell Gage?

Just fucking sign the guy. Nothing in the last decade from him suggests he wants to go anywhere. He played ball in the negotiation room every time. in an era of morons at his position, he’s basically perfect off the field.

If this does come to fruition - him leaving because the Buccaneers are quibbling over money - we have woken up from the dream and are back to A Buc’s Life.
100 %. Abso-effing-lutely.

There is no excuse for this. Not "building for the future" and not "letting Mike chase a ring" (he wants to finish his career here and he hasn't been remotely coy about it).

If they don't sign him to this deal, it will be an absolute disgrace.

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I must express my feelings.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:29 am
Cheb wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:27 am

That's alot of dosh.
And now Cooper Kupp is hurt, not to mention he's three years younger than Mike Evans. I get why Evans wants a similar deal. He's put up the numbers to do it, but for a receiver on the wrong side of 30, that's not the best way to be spending that kind of money.
If I had to guess, Evans probably regrets taking less money back then. He took way less than he should've/would've commanded on the open market to help the team out. Maybe he naively expected them to reciprocate in the future. He's always been the 1st to raise his hand and say he'd take less to help keep someone else.
Most hated man in America.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Give him everything he wants. I'm still pissed about Sapp and Lynch not being Bucs for life. Do not do this to Evans too.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Noler - Kuup's birthdate is 6/15/93.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Bootz Evans was the only one left who could raise his hand.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

It would be cool if he stayed but in reality Evans is not really a fit given his age and the trajectory of the team. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 for the foreseeable future and whatever is remaining of Evans career will be wasted here.

It would be far more beneficial for the team and Evans for us to get a trade partner worked out so he can not only get the money he deserves, but also end his career on a competitive team that has an actual shot at a ring.

It's just the nature of the game.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

75 million is (could be) 2 1/2 times more of a mistake than Gage.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:31 pm It would be cool if he stayed but in reality Evans is not really a fit given his age and the trajectory of the team. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 for the foreseeable future and whatever is remaining of Evans career will be wasted here.

It would be far more beneficial for the team and Evans for us to get a trade partner worked out so he can not only get the money he deserves, but also end his career on a competitive team that has an actual shot at a ring.

My differing view is he is more likely to get injured than he is to go stat crazy on a different team.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:25 pm Noler - Kuup's birthdate is 6/15/93.
Then how the hell did he get drafted in 2017 and Evans in 2014?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:31 pm It would be cool if he stayed but in reality Evans is not really a fit given his age and the trajectory of the team. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 for the foreseeable future and whatever is remaining of Evans career will be wasted here.

Putting aside one's heartstrings and looking at this from a practical standpoint, you do make a good point. I'm sure Vikings fans felt the same way about Randy Moss and 9er fans felt the same way about Jerry Rice. The list is long of great team players that did not finish their careers with the team that drafted them.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:42 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:25 pm Noler - Kuup's birthdate is 6/15/93.
Then how the hell did he get drafted in 2017 and Evans in 2014?
I dunno - maybe drafting 20 year olds is getting more rare.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:38 pm 75 million is (could be) 2 1/2 times more of a mistake than Gage.
Think of the NFL and Buccaneer median alternative in that span to allocating that 75 million to a culture-sustaining, productive WR:

* 25 million to a solid player that could be replaced with a minor production loss for 1/3 to 1/2 the money.

* 7 million to a RB you could get the same meaningless contribution from a minimum salaried UDFA.

* 3 million to a pair of replaceable players mid/bottom of the roster that barely see the field and are forgettable on STs.

* 35 million to a 3 % boom, 10 % 👍, 50 % meh, 37 % WTF are you even doing 🤡👞s LB.

* None of the above are a locker room/culture/legacy/community boons and perhaps one teeters toward problem child.

———-

And I mean…yeah, we could trade him for a 3rd round pick…that almost surely isn’t a difference-maker and likely rarely sees the field.

The math does bot check out.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:46 pm

Putting aside one's heartstrings and looking at this from a practical standpoint, you do make a good point. I'm sure Vikings fans felt the same way about Randy Moss and 9er fans felt the same way about Jerry Rice. The list is long of great team players that did not finish their careers with the team that drafted them.

Yep and taking 10 mil a year might let you play till 37 and you can catch Fitz.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s almost certainty that the Buccaneers will be acquiring a young quarterback - probably a highly selected rookie quarterback - in the next 12 months. Mike Evans is the exact WR you want for that type of quarterback. Huge catch radius. Wins one vs ones. Reliable Redzone target. Wins contested throws.

I understand if Mike wants to wet his beak little bit more now re: money. He restructured every time they asked. He was never a cancer. He was here for the lean years with Winston. He was here for the great years with Brady. and will hopefully be here for the next thing.

Frontload the fucker. This can easily be done in a way that makes everybody happy and doesn’t ruin the salary cap. Which, as we all know, at worst requires a one-year hard reset. Which we are experiencing now.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:53 pm

It’s almost certainty that the Buccaneers will be acquiring a young quarterback - probably a highly selected rookie quarterback - in the next 12 months. Mike Evans is the exact WR you want for that type of quarterback. Huge catch radius. Wins one vs ones. Reliable Redzone target. Wins contested throws.
And this is a good counterpoint.

Look, I'd like Mike to stay. I mean, what fan wouldn't. Hell, what coach wouldn't? But, even if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on what this team is going to do over the next 8 days with this situation. Regardless, as a forever Buc fan, whatever they do, I can be 90% certain they botch this.
Don't tread on me