Baker named starting QB

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Central_Buc

Re: Baker named starting QB

Post by Central_Buc »

Brazen331 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:44 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:17 pm

So,... you are saying that Lance is Uncle Rico?

I think I remember people gushing over how Lance wouldn’t slide, wouldn’t go out of bounds, would lower his shoulder and run the ball like Larry Csonka, as if this was a desirable attribute for your franchise QB to possess.
Maybe he watched NFL films on Csonka and it was programmed in his brain. Like a twitch.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

LOL... Trey Lance has been an epic shit show. He has shown that he is a bust and was stupid ass pick by the 49er's. Trash, has shown nothing either. I fully expect him to be a shit show too.

You want to know the difference? Trash is on a really shitty team and has shown he is a little bit less of a shit show that Lancy Pants. Lancy pants is fragile as fuck, both physically and mentally.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:14 am
Digital_Damage wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:55 am Everything now makes sense....

https://deadspin.com/baker-mayfield-nfl ... 1850766537
Lol. Isn’t Todd Bowles the head coach?
Don't let that get in the way of some grade A racist click bait... just look at the guys bio...

"Saginaw Native. Morehouse Man. Syracuse (Newhouse) Alum. 2019 & 2020 NABJ Award Winner. 2016 PABJ Journalist of the Year. I only eat my wings lemon-peppered. And I like brown liquor & brown women."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Funny thing is if we hadn't been the team to draft him I'm 100% convinced Winston would be the revival project on deck right now.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:23 pm Funny thing is if we hadn't been the team to draft him I'm 100% convinced Winston would be the revival project on deck right now.
He led the league to n passing a few years back, he has skills and attributes that Trask doesn’t have.

Honestly, the only thing he really needs is moar thyme
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:23 pm Funny thing is if we hadn't been the team to draft him I'm 100% convinced Winston would be the revival project on deck right now.
That should maybe tell you something about Baker, if in your own words he'd be Plan B behind Jameis Fucking Winston.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:42 pm I'm kinda with Bootz on this. Nothing against Trask but I don't see a future here. On the other hand if he can develop into something decent, I don't mind him as a long term back up.

Can he be a decent BU like Frank Reich was? Traits like that is what I look for in a BU.
I don't see anything with Trask or Mayfield. My leaning toward Trask. I am not sure what he could become. Mayfield has had opportunities and has not produced. With Lance, he just has not made it either. Lots of dudes do well in college to fade in the NFL.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:35 pm
That should maybe tell you something about Baker, if in your own words he'd be Plan B behind Jameis Fucking Winston.
Do you get a high from being mad
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:02 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:42 pm I'm kinda with Bootz on this. Nothing against Trask but I don't see a future here. On the other hand if he can develop into something decent, I don't mind him as a long term back up.

Can he be a decent BU like Frank Reich was? Traits like that is what I look for in a BU.
I don't see anything with Trask or Mayfield. My leaning toward Trask. I am not sure what he could become. Mayfield has had opportunities and has not produced. With Lance, he just has not made it either. Lots of dudes do well in college to fade in the NFL.
This is where you are wrong. He has produced, just like Jameis produced. The problem is the consistency, just like Jameis. He said he is different this year, and if he is then maybe we will do well. The biggest difference between Jameis and Baker is that Jameis still thinks he should be a #1 QB and that he doesn't need to change anything. Baker realizes he is at the crossroads of his career and that this is his last chance. Who knows, maybe he will not take as may risky throws. I guess we will see
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

This is the problem with this argument. None of us know WHAT Trask can be developed into because he has never been given a chance. Mayfield is ONLY the answer to the wrong question that was asked.
I said what I said

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:28 pm

This is the problem with this argument. None of us know WHAT Trask can be developed into because he has never been given a chance. Mayfield is ONLY the answer to the wrong question that was asked.
I mean, no one is giving Baker a chance either. Hes got a short leash if it's not gonna work out and then we'll see how Trask does.

If we are as bad as the National media thinks, we will see Trask on the field this year. But Trask isn't the end all because we will be drafting another QB. Caleb Williams or Drake Maye yes please.

Trask will probably start next year until the new guy is ready.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:28 pm

And as I said 3 days ago..

Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:33 pm
Yea its the "we haven't seen him suck yet, so let's see what he's got" mindset that poisoned this franchise during the Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano and Lovie Smith years. Back then, you get drafted by the Bucs, you had "upside" and were ikely starting whether you've earned it or not.

What I said previously was mainly in response to @Cheb's assessment of what Trask has done to "earn" a starting spot. Absolutely nothing.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Most hated man in America.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Im not sure what you mean "he didn't produce" because he was drafted by the Browns who are, first of all, a graveyard for QBs who get drafted there. After some development he led them (in his final year) a playoff win and im pretty sure (IIRC in that game) came close to going to the AFC Championship, but Mahomes pulled away in the 4th. He was then unexpectedly kicked to the curb the following year for Watson (who right now isn't really producing at the moment either, but he'll have his full year. Like I said, Cleveland is where careers go to die and It'll be a challenge for Watson).

I'll make the arguement that the 2023 Bucs roster is better than Clevelands 2020 roster whom Baker almost lead to the AFC title game.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Hell no. Hell no. You guys gotta stop talking about Winston being here in even a speculative capacity. I'd rather get food poisoning than ever watch him throw another pass 37 yards into quadruple coverage on a 2nd and 4 instead of taking the open man 6 yards down field.
Last edited by These Are The Days on Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I can’t wait for Jameis Winston‘s 30/30 to get a 30 for 30 episode.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32 pm

This is where you are wrong. He has produced, just like Jameis produced. The problem is the consistency, just like Jameis. He said he is different this year, and if he is then maybe we will do well. The biggest difference between Jameis and Baker is that Jameis still thinks he should be a #1 QB and that he doesn't need to change anything. Baker realizes he is at the crossroads of his career and that this is his last chance. Who knows, maybe he will not take as may risky throws. I guess we will see
OK. We will see. For the sake of my Buccaneers I hope I am wrong about Mayfield, but I have a feeling we will see Trask by game 4.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

These Are The Days wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:18 pm Hell no. Hell no. You guys gotta stop talking about Winston being here in even a speculative capacity. I'd rather get food poisoning than ever watch him throw 37 yards into quadruple coverage on a 2nd and 4 instead of taking the open man 6 yards down field.
This board only lets me give a thumbs up, but this post deserved many more than that.

_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:09 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:35 pm

Do you get a high from being mad
Getting her mad gets me off.

Close enough?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

To further my point, in the 2020 divisional round vs the Cheifs, Baker went 23-37 204 yards 1 Td and 1 pick, they lose 22-17 but came real close to the AFC Championship.

So one thing you can say about Baker that doesn't apply to Winston is there is some playoff success.

The wildcard game Baker was phenomenal vs the Steelers going 21-34 263 yards 3 TDs.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Also speaking of Winston, a story popped up in my feed this morning that Saints fans are calling for Winston to start.

I guess Mr. Carr isn't doing so well this preseason.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Carr’s career winning percentage is the same as Mayfield’s. And he’s been in the league twice as long. We gave Baker $4M. The Saints gave Carr $100M.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Winston still very much has a flock of believers.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Central_Buc wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:30 pm Also speaking of Winston, a story popped up in my feed this morning that Saints fans are calling for Winston to start.

I guess Mr. Carr isn't doing so well this preseason.
I'm sure the Saints QB competition is just as real as the Bucs competition was.
Don't tread on me
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:34 pm Winston still very much has a flock of believers.
So far this preseason
Winston 5 sacks taken in 34 snaps
Other QBs 0 sacks taken in 42 drop backs

He's not even on our team and i feel like saying "get rid of the damn ball!"
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:23 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:34 pm Winston still very much has a flock of believers.
So far this preseason

Ya, the only Saints fans I've seen saying Winston should start follow Jameis1of1 and they may be him.

Their message board seems like a heavy heavy majority are behind Carr.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Put me down for being in favor of Jameis starting for the Saints!!
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:35 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:23 pm

So far this preseason

Ya, the only Saints fans I've seen saying Winston should start follow Jameis1of1 and they may be him.

Their message board seems like a heavy heavy majority are behind Carr.
Article right here. Although I've never heard of this site so it could be they are not reputable.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/nfl/new ... etter-carr
MJW

Post by MJW »

So does Charles Manson.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So do Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf now have a new competitor for the biggest QB bust of all time?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:35 pm So do Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf now have a new competitor for the biggest QB bust of all time?
Trask was a late second round pick so clearly not
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:35 pm So do Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf now have a new competitor for the biggest QB bust of all time?
Russell and Leaf actively made their teams worse while costing picks at the top of the first round.

Trask hasn't done much as a second round pick, but his story is yet to be fully told. It wouldn't surprise me if Trask has started multiple games before Halloween, and by Thanksgiving he could be our undisputed QB1.

And even if Trask never amounts to much, having an inexpensive backup who is under team control ain't nothing. Top backups like Brissett are making north of $8 million a year, and dudes like Heinicke, Mariota, Dalton, and Trubisky are still being paid north of $5 million a year to hold a clipboard and make good jokes in the QB room. Trask for about a million is a steal imo, and if I were a general manager I would say it would nearly always be prudent to have at least one quarterback under a rookie contract, if not your starter then his backup.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:33 am
I’m assuming that was referring to Trey Lance.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Given the rookie wage scale now in place I don't think any bust can be as bad as the past ones.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:24 am
kaimaru wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:33 am

I’m assuming that was referring to Trey Lance.
Why? Comparing a pick 64 vs pick 1s or in Lance case pick 3 is ridiculous
Doctor

Post by Doctor »