Baker named starting QB

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Baker named starting QB

Post by Babeinbucland »

I said what I said

Cheb

Re: Baker named starting QB

Post by Cheb »

Meh
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

This decision was probably based on the NFL 100 commercial where Brady handed Baker all of his rings.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

The only choice
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Old news
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

So,... are we starting a thread to guess which week Baker is replaced in now? Or how about if Bowles will be fired mid-season?

Good luck Baker!
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:00 pm So,... are we starting a thread to guess which week Baker is replaced in now? Or how about if Bowles will be fired mid-season?

Good luck Baker!
We already know the Glazers don't fire mid-season, but someone will start one anyways before the first snap is played
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Jesus Christ..

We knew Glazers love big name QB

That’s why Baker Mayfield is here…
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Let's Go!!

This isn't Rhule in a dumper fire Panthers team. This is one of the top FO in the league, a great defense, and a stock of great weapons at the direction of a hot shot OC. A coaching staff that took Palmer, Brady, and Geno to some of their best seasons after the rest of the league had left them for dead. If there was ever a scenario for a top overall pick to revive their career it's this one.

And come on, of all the past QB saviors we could be trying to re-roll the dice with, Baker is probably the best choice with the most upside.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I'm just glad there's finally an announcement.

Are we still allowed to say LFG?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kress wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:28 pm I'm just glad there's finally an announcement.

LFG!
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Kress wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:28 pm I'm just glad there's finally an announcement.

I'm still going to wear #12 this year, so YES
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Kress wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:08 pm
That’s the stuff of legend. If Namath said that they would be showing that shit on every NFL films highlight reel. But you gotta live up to it..
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

LFG
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

So,... Trey Lance does not make the cut with the 49ers and fans attack the 49ers. Kyle Trask gets the 2nd string position and crickets? Interesting world.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:31 am So,... Trey Lance does not make the cut with the 49ers and fans attack the 49ers. Kyle Trask gets the 2nd string position and crickets? Interesting world.
That's because unlike Trask, Lance has attributes and skills you can actually point to that he's either good at, has shown improvement on or can get better at.

I've personally asked for over a year now what skills or attributes Trask possess that people are enamored with and have yet to get an actual answer. That's because he doesn't have any. That's why no one cares that he's 2nd string.
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:39 am
13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:31 am So,... Trey Lance does not make the cut with the 49ers and fans attack the 49ers. Kyle Trask gets the 2nd string position and crickets? Interesting world.
That's because unlike Trask, Lance has attributes and skills you can actually point to that he's either good at, has shown improvement on or can get better at.

I've personally asked for over a year now what skills or attributes Trask possess that people are enamored with and have yet to get an actual answer. That's because he doesn't have any. That's why no one cares that he's 2nd string.
What skills or attributes does Lance have?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:42 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:39 am

He's very mobile. In the Trevor Lawrence/Jalen Hurts/Daniel Jones tier of QB mobility. He also has an arm that can threaten at all levels. Velocity wise it's a very strong are as well. By all accounts his football IQ is very high. He's never been a one to turn the ball over much and makes sound decisions to protect the football. He throws with great timing and anticipation. This quality is what attracted the Niners to him in the 1st place.

That's just some of them but as you can see it didn't take a year+ to answer. I won't bother asking you what attributes Trask possess because if you felt he had any you would've stated them instead of asking about Lance.
Snake

Post by Snake »

49ers sent Lance home from practice basically as a mental health day lol after being put on 3rd string
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Digital_Damage wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:55 am Everything now makes sense....

https://deadspin.com/baker-mayfield-nfl ... 1850766537
Lol. Isn’t Todd Bowles the head coach?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:51 am
13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:42 am

He's very mobile. In the Trevor Lawrence/Jalen Hurts/Daniel Jones tier of QB mobility. He also has an arm that can threaten at all levels. Velocity wise it's a very strong are as well. By all accounts his football IQ is very high. He's never been a one to turn the ball over much and makes sound decisions to protect the football. He throws with great timing and anticipation. This quality is what attracted the Niners to him in the 1st place.

That's just some of them but as you can see it didn't take a year+ to answer. I won't bother asking you what attributes Trask possess because if you felt he had any you would've stated them instead of asking about Lance.
Since our backup QB (Trask) has no positive skills or attributes, we should probably trade for Trey Lance, right, @Bootz
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:22 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:51 am

Since our backup QB (Trask) has no positive skills or attributes, we should probably trade for Trey Lance, right, @Bootz
Ask yourself this: If this question were asked about Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Lawrence, there'd be no question or hesitation to answer what skills or attributes they possess. Hell even guys like Tua, Mac, Kyler, Daniel Jones even, people would have an answer.

Yet, going into year 3 no one can answer said question about Kyle Trask. That should speak volumes and if it doesn't, I'll leave you to keeping your head in the sand.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:51 am That's just some of them but as you can see it didn't take a year+ to answer. I won't bother asking you what attributes Trask possess because if you felt he had any you would've stated them instead of asking about Lance.
Stop putting words in people's mouths. It causes you problems and derails rational conversation.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:37 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:22 am

Ask yourself this: If this question were asked about Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Lawrence, there'd be no question or hesitation to answer what skills or attributes they possess. Hell even guys like Tua, Mac, Kyler, Daniel Jones even, people would have an answer.

Yet, going into year 3 no one can answer said question about Kyle Trask. That should speak volumes and if it doesn't, I'll leave you to keeping your head in the sand.
There are many, many, many players in NFL history who had attributes but FAILED to make the cut. There are also players who many did not feel had the traits that managed to be GOOD despite scouts opinions.

Trey Lance would, on the surface, appear to be more like the guys who had the measurables but can't make it happen. (Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russel, Akili Smith, Jack Thompson)
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

Why can’t Trask and Lance both suck? If Lance was so good, why did he end up at ND State with all this natural talent? And then how did Lance get so in demand? You’re watching tape of him playing against kids who could never sniff the NFL and you have GMs like Lynch who want to sell the farm for him.

Why? He can run fast and throw the ball far. So what? But he’s only 23. We have least another 5 years to work on this project. Maybe we can find a way to access all this potential if we keep trying?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

He just needs more time
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brazen331 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:25 pm Why can’t Trask and Lance both suck? If Lance was so good, why did he end up at ND State with all this natural talent? And then how did Lance get so in demand? You’re watching tape of him playing against kids who could never sniff the NFL and you have GMs like Lynch who want to sell the farm for him.

Why? He can run fast and throw the ball far. So what?
Every year, every position. Never fails. Teams will always do it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:45 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:51 am That's just some of them but as you can see it didn't take a year+ to answer. I won't bother asking you what attributes Trask possess because if you felt he had any you would've stated them instead of asking about Lance.
Stop putting words in people's mouths. It causes you problems and derails rational conversation.
Then how about you stop deflecting and get to naming those great Kyle Trask attributes.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

"What potential do you see in Trevor Lawrence, Mac Jones, Tua, Lamar Jackson, Pat Mahomes"

"[Goes on to list numerous attributes]"

"Well what do you see in Kyle Trask?"

".........well how do we know he won't suck?"

And people actually wonder why OBP is starting Baker Mayfield and not giving him a serious look?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:07 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:45 am

Then how about you stop deflecting and get to naming those great Kyle Trask attributes.
No. I will not go down one of your stupid rabbit holes. I posted about being surprised about the difference in fan response. Nothing more. You can go have a conversation yourself about whatever BS you have concocted in your mind. I do not wish to participate.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Brazen331 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:25 pm Why can’t Trask and Lance both suck? If Lance was so good, why did he end up at ND State with all this natural talent? And then how did Lance get so in demand? You’re watching tape of him playing against kids who could never sniff the NFL and you have GMs like Lynch who want to sell the farm for him.

Why? He can run fast and throw the ball far. So what? But he’s only 23. We have least another 5 years to work on this project. Maybe we can find a way to access all this potential if we keep trying?
So,... you are saying that Lance is Uncle Rico?

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I'm kinda with Bootz on this. Nothing against Trask but I don't see a future here. On the other hand if he can develop into something decent, I don't mind him as a long term back up.

Can he be a decent BU like Frank Reich was? Traits like that is what I look for in a BU.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:17 pm

So,... you are saying that Lance is Uncle Rico?

I think I remember people gushing over how Lance wouldn’t slide, wouldn’t go out of bounds, would lower his shoulder and run the ball like Larry Csonka, as if this was a desirable attribute for your franchise QB to possess.