Baker named starting QB

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Baker named starting QB

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:15 pm That's close to Geno Smith last year. 30 TDs, 11 INTs, 4200+ yards. He was nowhere near MVP consideration.
But he did win comeback player of the year
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:43 pm MVP will come down the same formula that has selected the last 5 MVPs and 7 of the last 8. QBR & TD%.
If that is true, only 3 people are ahead of Baker in both stats: Mahomes, Allen, and Tagovailoa
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Knowing where we are now, this is a very interesting read

Inside Baker Mayfield's split with the Cleveland Browns

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/338 ... and-browns
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

As Mayfield was losing confidence in himself, he had also begun losing faith in Stefanski, according to multiple sources, even though the two had thrived the year before during Cleveland's unexpected playoff run.

That feeling escalated the next week, on Jan. 3 during a Monday Night Football game in Pittsburgh. In what proved likely to be his final start for the Browns, Mayfield was sacked nine times. Afterward, he called out Stefanski's game plan.

"When you've got [NFL defensive player of the year] T.J. Watt over there, and we're not giving our rookie tackle [James Hudson] a whole lot of help, it's not going to be good for us," said Mayfield, who at one point had thrown 10 consecutive incompletions in the 26-14 loss.

As Mayfield labored through a listless performance, the Browns kept him in to the final offensive play, which was an interception.

According to multiple sources, those close to Mayfield -- who to that point had missed one game because of his shoulder injury -- wondered at the time if the Browns were trying to make Mayfield look as hapless as possible in prime time, to potentially pave the way for the franchise to more easily explain why it might be moving on from him in the offseason.

The Browns, through a spokesman, declined to comment on those suspicions.

---------------

Wow. 9 sacks? I forgot about that. Yeah, Stefanksi 100% set him up to get destroyed that game.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I've never watched Baker play for the Browns because I couldn't stand his stupid commercials. Now that he's our guy, I get the allure. It is hard not to like and respect his hustle. Can someone who's watched Baker before well enough let me know if the offensive inefficiency of Bucs can be overcome with him getting more comfortable in this offense? Or are we seeing a near close to the end product type of QB play?

By offensive inefficiency I don't mean his inaccurate passes or batted down passes. I mean his tendency to not let it fly when the offensive playcall is allowing for his primary and secondary targets to get wide open based on the flow of defensive coverage. Has Baker ever been known to throw with anticipation?

Goff had multiple zone coverage killing passes against us even in the face of pressure, where he would let go of the pass in a gap, knowing his receivers would get there on time for a completion.

A lot of passes Baker doesn't attempt, seem to be those type of throws even in a clean packet and much larger separation between receivers and defenders.

I'm holding out hope that Brady will see the tape of offense and a compilation of Kancey's and Vea's snaps and think hard about what this team could be with him as the captain of the ship.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Jonny wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:19 am I'm holding out hope that Brady will see the tape of offense and a compilation of Kancey's and Vea's snaps and think hard about what this team could be with him as the captain of the ship.

Saywhatnow?
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I think Bowles and Canales has been hammering about the importance of not turning the ball over that it makes him gunshy. He knows this is most likely his last chance at a starting gig. So he'd rather take a sack, throw the ball away, and/or miss open receivers than risk throwing an int and possibly blowing his chance at being "the guy".
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Obsolete wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:45 pm I think Bowles and Canales has been hammering about the importance of not turning the ball over that it makes him gunshy. He knows this is most likely his last chance at a starting gig. So he'd rather take a sack, throw the ball away, and/or miss open receivers than risk throwing an int and possibly blowing his chance at being "the guy".
Him being gunshy was the difference between Evans having a long TD and a tipped INT.
Most hated man in America.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:22 pm
Obsolete wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:45 pm I think Bowles and Canales has been hammering about the importance of not turning the ball over that it makes him gunshy. He knows this is most likely his last chance at a starting gig. So he'd rather take a sack, throw the ball away, and/or miss open receivers than risk throwing an int and possibly blowing his chance at being "the guy".
Him being gunshy was the difference between Evans having a long TD and a tipped INT.
I agree. There is just one type of good QB play. Exploit defense's weakness while minimizing putting the ball in harm's way. There can't be compromise with that expectation. I understand Baker is way better than Bridgewater and doesn't play selfishly to not throw INTs even if the game is on the line. But the hesitation is definitely there and that won't cut it. In a season like 2014 where Bucs roster and coaching was trash to begin with, I would not worry too much about this middling QB play. But we look like we could kick some serious MF'ing ass with a Dak Prescott or a Kirk Cousins. Heck, gimme 2018 Fitzmagic.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I mentioned this after the Saints game when everybody was gushing over the Thompkins TD. Mentioned this last week when the pass got tipped for a pick when it should've been a TD. Now this still. Evans is wide open. Godwin has the entire back 2/3 of the endzone to work with. Whoever that is on the right is open. But this didn't result in a TD. He's got to PULL THE TRIGGER like it says.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Bootz

Count the defensive players in the pic and get back with me. I count nine.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:29 pm @Bootz

There is a d back covering Mike Evans that is just out of the picture. That makes 10.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:13 pm

There is a d back covering Mike Evans that is just out of the picture. That makes 10.
Should be two of them. That spells 7 guarding 5, Mike and the TE have their back to Mayfield, that leaves three with Godwin being the best bet. For some reason Godwin is running shallow and that would have required Mayfield to split the two defenders with a certain amount of velocity - the dare - the hesitation.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Yep there were 2 guys out there near Mike if you watch the entire play and not just a pic. The 1st down play he had Palmer open at the 2. He threw it to Godwin too early and it got tipped and almost picked. Looked like if he let Godwin progress on his route it would have been a TD. He had the time to wait. Could have ran it right up the gut and got close to the goal line even. The 2nd down play had only White open. He didn't have a lot of time on that one and was hit hard which might have contributed to his 3rd down play. Baker Mayfield open not Brady open. Mike was never open on the 3rd down play they had 2 guys on him. White ran a good route and was open at the top of the screen and Godwin had the entire back of the end zone. There were a lot of times that the back or a TE was open underneath and he never even looked at them during the game.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Evans is his first read. Evans is doubled. He should pretty much know that from a formational perspective pre-snap. Godwin is the read, but by the time he’s ready to go to him it’s too late.

Could have run it for 6 yards. Keep the clock running. Then you don’t lose on a last second field goal.

Just an awful series down there.

Red zone tight not improving at all. That’s for sure.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sorry. That’s White at the top. Never looked at him. Gun shy trying to fit it over the top to Godwin probably.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The 2 defenders are over the top but Evans has room in front of them if Baker puts it on him. Godwin & White are wide open though. He's gunshy and it's a problem.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:38 am Sorry. That’s White at the top. Never looked at him. Gun shy trying to fit it over the top to Godwin probably.

White is hardly being used as more than a dump off, but he is a mere 155 yards from the most YAC's in the league. Less than 4 passes a game right now - bump it up to 10 and see how well we move the ball.

Just might break more ankles.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Watching the film breakdown gets me mad about how inadequate Baker is after almost every game. What exactly did the Browns see in him to draft him #1 overall. But then I also realize that he's having to carry the whole weight of offense on his 5-10 frame without a run game, new team and a not so confident mindset because of past career ups and downs. I want to root for the guy to succeed, not only because he's our QB, but because he's a good underdog story now in third arc trying to reestablish himself. But man does he make it really difficult and test your patience.

I have to keep reminding myself that as many opportunities as Baker may have missed, Kyle Trask is going to struggle even more if the whole offense has to run through his arm.

Only seasoned veteran QBs can survive the gauntlet that is Bucs offense with its ineptitude at running and I can name 12 at best with confidence that would be better than Baker.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Someone posted these stats in another group I am in (yes I cheated on all of you) if they are true then does this make a stronger case for Baker in general?

Baker averages more pass yards per game than D. Prescott, J. Burrow, R. Wilson, J. Fields…
Baker has more TD passes than J. Hurts, T. Lawrence, Stafford, Burrow, D. Carr, Prescott..
Baker has thrown less INT’s than J. Hurts, J. Allen, Stafford, Mahomes, Tua, J. Fields, Dak, J. Goff…
I said what I said

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I have seen that post somewhere before but yes stats doesn’t lie.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 pm Someone posted these stats in another group I am in (yes I cheated on all of you) if they are true then does this make a stronger case for Baker in general?

Baker averages more pass yards per game than D. Prescott, J. Burrow, R. Wilson, J. Fields…
Baker has more TD passes than J. Hurts, T. Lawrence, Stafford, Burrow, D. Carr, Prescott..
Baker has thrown less INT’s than J. Hurts, J. Allen, Stafford, Mahomes, Tua, J. Fields, Dak, J. Goff…
This fallacy of incomplete information is like sports fans bread and butter at this point. Point out the good while suppressing the bad.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Harold Goodwin got demoted from assistant head coach to offensive line coach. Do we need a new offensive line coach?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:27 am Harold Goodwin got demoted from assistant head coach to offensive line coach. Do we need a new offensive line coach?
Per the Bucs website, Harold Goodwin is still the assistant head coach. But there is a thread of truth there regardless.

We retained both Harold Goodwin and Joe Gilbert, who were our offensive line coaches from last season when we were dead last in the run game. They're still here, and we are still dead last in the run game. One starts to wonder if a change with the coaching on the offensive line would lead to an improvement. It's hard to imagine it would get worse.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Cheb

The Glazers friend over at Bucpower mistakenly? has Brad Idzik as assistant head coach and Goodwin as wide receivers coach.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Cheb

The four under Canales profile need to be put on notice.