Baker named starting QB

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: Baker named starting QB

Post by Cheb »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:03 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:51 pm

I know the circumstances of the why from three seasons ago. Which QB would you rather have NOW?
In a vacuum, I'm taking Watson and it's not even close. His ceiling is a top 5 QB where as Mayfield will never be in the top 20. I can NOT win anything with Mayfield, I have a real shot with Watson.

Now, if you want to take everything (baggage and money), into account, I'd rather have Trask. Like I said, I know I can NOT win with Mayfield. I don't know that I can or can not with Trask. Give me the unknown to see what I can learn. Worst case scenario with Trask is a 4-win season where I draft my franchise QB in April. Most likely scenario with Mayfield is that we become what Tennessee has with Tannehill... consistently mediocre. To good to suck, too bad to not win. Once in a while things will go our way and make the playoffs, but get knocked out in round 1 (not even sure that's possible because we don't have a Derrick Henry to carry us).

In neither scenario is Mayfield the best choice. He's just not good enough. We suffered with 4+ years of Freeman and 5 years of Winston. How many of Mayfield to do you need to see? Hard pass.
This would be a solid take if it were from last month. But at this moment in time, Baker beats Deshaun Watson in:

- Passing Yards
- Passing Touchdowns
- Turnovers
- Completion percentage
- Sacks taken
- Record
- Playoff winning percentage
- Never being tried, much less convicted, of being a serial sexual assaulter and overall piece of human filth.

There's other stuff too but I think you get the point.

I mean, what else do you need Baker Mayfield to do this year better than Watson before you think he's better than Watson?

---

As far as being pro-Trask, I was right in that bus with you and have posted about it extensively, but Baker is the guy now and playing maybe the best football of his life. Woulda-coulda-shoulda'ing a currently undefeated quarterback playing mistake free ball is rather pedantic imo.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I would still love to see Trask, he could still be very good. Remember just because a guy didn't win the starting job doesn't mean he's bad, Russell Wilson was about to be the starter over Hurts. We still really don't know what we have.

With that said I'm all in on Baker Redemption. It just makes so much sense.

Remember Raider Palmer or Giants Warner before the went to Arizona. Brad Johnson had more INTs than TDs for Washington before coming here. This is such a great opportunity from Canales to our WRs.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Its. been. two. games.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed. And my posts are pretty unchanged from two months ago are they not?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:47 pm Its. been. two. games.
Interesting. Thank you for letting us know.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I know the circumstances of the why from three seasons ago. Which QB would you rather have NOW?
I can NOT win anything with Mayfield,
I’m no Mayfield fan, but this is blatantly wrong. If Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Nick Foles can win, Mayfield can win. With the right team, of course.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I’m no Mayfield fan, but this is blatantly wrong. If Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Nick Foles can win, Mayfield can win. With the right team, of course.
Don't tread on me
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:40 pm

Yeah, I guess there's a chance that if we create an elite offensive line and all-time great defense, we could win a Super Bowl Mayfield. I'll take the under.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I think we will have a better idea who Baker Mayfield is after the Eagles game.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Mayfield will be driving a finely tuned vehicle monday night.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:41 pm Mayfield will be driving a finely tuned vehicle monday night.
Can you cite any sources for this assertion?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Brazen331 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:19 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:41 pm Mayfield will be driving a finely tuned vehicle monday night.
Can you cite any sources for this assertion?
mdb
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Lol
I said what I said

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Just curious, do the Eagles defensive backs have the speed to single cover Trey Palmer?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:40 am Just curious, do the Eagles defensive backs have the speed to single cover Trey Palmer?
Darius Slay had 4.3 speed coming into the league. He's 32 now and has a lot of miles on him so I don't know if it's still a 4.3, but he's pretty fast and crafty still.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:36 pm I think we will have a better idea who Baker Mayfield is after the Eagles game.
Canales made a great point in his presser this week, Baker has plenty of experience against elite defences coming from the AFC North.

Obviously I don’t expect him to light the Eagles up, but Baker is the least of my worries.

My bigger concerns are if we can run the ball well enough to remain a balanced offence, and can our CBs hang with the Eagles WRs- especially with Davis being hobbled by a bad toe.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:06 pm

In a vacuum, I'm taking Watson and it's not even close. His ceiling is a top 5 QB where as Mayfield will never be in the top 20. I can NOT win anything with Mayfield, I have a real shot with Watson.

Now, if you want to take everything (baggage and money), into account, I'd rather have Trask. Like I said, I know I can NOT win with Mayfield. I don't know that I can or can not with Trask. Give me the unknown to see what I can learn. Worst case scenario with Trask is a 4-win season where I draft my franchise QB in April. Most likely scenario with Mayfield is that we become what Tennessee has with Tannehill... consistently mediocre. To good to suck, too bad to not win. Once in a while things will go our way and make the playoffs, but get knocked out in round 1 (not even sure that's possible because we don't have a Derrick Henry to carry us).

In neither scenario is Mayfield the best choice. He's just not good enough. We suffered with 4+ years of Freeman and 5 years of Winston. How many of Mayfield to do you need to see? Hard pass.
This would be a solid take if it were from last month. But at this moment in time, Baker beats Deshaun Watson in:

- Passing Yards
- Passing Touchdowns
- Turnovers
- Completion percentage
- Sacks taken
- Record
- Playoff winning percentage
- Never being tried, much less convicted, of being a serial sexual assaulter and overall piece of human filth.

There's other stuff too but I think you get the point.

I mean, what else do you need Baker Mayfield to do this year better than Watson before you think he's better than Watson?

---

As far as being pro-Trask, I was right in that bus with you and have posted about it extensively, but Baker is the guy now and playing maybe the best football of his life. Woulda-coulda-shoulda'ing a currently undefeated quarterback playing mistake free ball is rather pedantic imo.
Well one thing I can say for sure is that Mayfield would need a sample size substantially bigger than 2 games. From another thread, I posted that the last time Watson played a full season, he put up MVP numbers. Had his team not sucked monkey nuts, he'd have won it. Just give you one piece of data, which is by no means an end-all-be-all stat, but go to pro-football-reference.com and look at Watson's "Estimated Value" since his rookie season. Prior to being a dumbazz, he had 3 season's where he had a 16, on horrible teams... Mayfield had one year where he was a 14 and the rest were 10's and 11's. Now, maybe if Mayfield puts up a 16, then we can talk. Anything short of that, you're comparing a half a dozen games over a 10 month period where one of the two, didn't play for almost 2 years.

On top of that, let's look at the NFL landscape. Last year, 3 teams said "No thank you" to Baker Mayfield. In the off season, 31 teams said "No thank you", to Baker Mayfield. There were multiple teams in the running for Watson, including the Dolphins. You're going to sit there and yell me that a 2-game sample set wipes out what we've known for 4 years? Come on.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

How many teams said no thank you to Kurt Warner while he was bagging groceries before coming back to the NFL?
I said what I said

Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:43 pm How many teams said no thank you to Kurt Warner while he was bagging groceries before coming back to the NFL?
How many teams would of said no to Brock Purdy had the two QBs before him not went down?
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Not looking too shabby so far!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Baker Mayfield leads the NFL in yards per attempt while under pressure (9.5) and currently has the 2nd lowest pressure-to-sack rate (8.7%)
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

He’s candidate for comeback player of the year.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:23 pm He’s candidate for comeback player of the year.
I don't think the comeback player nominees are players coming back from sucking, I think they're players coming back from injury, who missed a good portion of the prior year. But I might be wrong on that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:23 pm He’s candidate for comeback player of the year.
Leader in the clubhouse at the moment. Hell, he keeps this up he's an MVP candidate.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:14 am
Leader in the clubhouse at the moment. Hell, he keeps this up he's an MVP candidate.
bwahahahah
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Let's all just take solace in the fact that we didn't trade a bunch of high draft picks, our souls, and $230 guaranteed....nor did we give Daniel Jones a $200 mil contract so he can continue being, well, Daniel Jones.

Instead we paid Baker $4mil and he's playing like a top 10 QB.

Nice.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:37 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:14 am

bwahahahah
He goes 12-5 with a team Tom Brady could only get to 8 wins…?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:47 am Let's all just take solace in the fact that we didn't trade a bunch of high draft picks, our souls, and $230 guaranteed....nor did we give Daniel Jones a $200 mil contract so he can continue being, well, Daniel Jones.

Instead we paid Baker $4mil and he's playing like a top 10 QB.

Nice.
Carr. Garoppolo. Licht didn’t have a choice but it looks good now.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:33 pm

Baker Mayfield leads the NFL in yards per attempt while under pressure (9.5) and currently has the 2nd lowest pressure-to-sack rate (8.7%)
Wirfs might end up going down as a top 2 or 3 Buc draft pick of all time. Dude was the 4th tackle taken in his draft class and walked onto the field protecting Brady, establishing himself as the best RT in the league. Then, a few years later, he gets swapped over to LT, and is one of the best LTs in the league like it's no big deal. I think he's given up 2 pressures all year?

His contract is going to be well deserved and might be the first lineman to hit $30 mil a year(I think he would be the first anyway).
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:04 pm
acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:37 am

bwahahahah
He goes 12-5 with a team Tom Brady could only get to 8 wins…?
MVP is not a team stat.
Mark Sanchez's 2010 Jets went 11-5.
Case Keenum with the Vikings in 2017 went 11-3.
Matt Hasselbeck's 2005 Seahawks went 13-3.

Baker, as an individual is on pace for 3,750 yards, 30 TDs, 9 INT. That may get him a probowl vote, but any MVP consideration is being looked at with the pewter-est of glasses.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That's close to Geno Smith last year. 30 TDs, 11 INTs, 4200+ yards. He was nowhere near MVP consideration.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

In 2021 Tom Brady had a passer rating of 102.1 with 5,316 yards, 43 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and didnt win MVP.

I'm happy Baker is playing good football but lets pump the brakes a bit on the whole MVP talk.
Last edited by Obsolete on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MVP will come down the same formula that has selected the last 5 MVPs and 7 of the last 8. QBR & TD%.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:15 pm That's close to Geno Smith last year. 30 TDs, 11 INTs, 4200+ yards. He was nowhere near MVP consideration.
4-5k yards and 30 touchdowns is where Baker needs to be at least.

There's no reason for him to not outperform Jameis Winston's best season but I'll care less about stats if we're hanging banners.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

If Baker throws for anywhere near what Brady did we have no shot.

That means we aren't running the ball again, that means we're probably playing from behind a lot.

I like the effort from the kid so far but we NEED TO RUN THE FOOTBALL to have any realistic shot at doing anything.

Run that MF'er and play defense.

BTW you could follow Winfield around the field and use it unedited as a how to play safety video.....

For sure the best player on our defense IMO, arguably the best player on the team as of today.

We move on.