Ryan Jensen: Retired

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Ryan Jensen: Retired

Post by Bootz »

Pat Kirwan: Tell me about Ryan Jensen. [Robert] Hainsey took over a thousand snaps last year. I’m not calling it a battle at center. What is the status of Ryan? I guess that is the question.

Jason Licht: We’re still seeing — we want to take it slow. We don’t want to throw him in there and grind him too much now. We want that knee to get as strong as possible. It’s going OK right now. We’ll see how it goes. In the meantime, we have to have someone ready to go.

"We're still seeing". That doesn't sound good more than a year after the injury occurred and 7 months after he played in the playoff game.
Last edited by Bootz on Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Most hated man in America.
BuccaNOLEer

Re: Ryan Jensen: Done??

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:33 am
Pat Kirwan: Tell me about Ryan Jensen. [Robert] Hainsey took over a thousand snaps last year. I’m not calling it a battle at center. What is the status of Ryan? I guess that is the question.

Jason Licht: We’re still seeing — we want to take it slow. We don’t want to throw him in there and grind him too much now. We want that knee to get as strong as possible. It’s going OK right now. We’ll see how it goes. In the meantime, we have to have someone ready to go.

"We're still seeing". That doesn't sound good more than a year after the injury occurred and 7 months after he played in the playoff game.
He had no business playing in that game. That probably aggravated the injury.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

What are the Bucs' options? They'd probably prefer he'd just retire at this point, but he's owed so much money the next couple years with huge cap hits. He's the highest paid center in the game so I doubt he'd prefer to retire.

I read if he'd have had surgery he wouldn't be able to play again? Injury settlement?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:33 am

I had two thoughts about this. One was when Tom Brady had that look of being devastated when Jensen first got hurt, I thought just maybe he's done. Then this year and I really don't know why - I had this thought that they were doing the veteran respect thing and waiting to go all thru camp and then let Jensen and Gholston announce they were retiring.

Others need to step up and If I see that in these preseason games the Bucs might be thinking the same thing.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Lol. Guys don't go through the rigors of training camp as a swan song prior to retiring. Jfc.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:06 am Lol. Guys don't go through the rigors of training camp as a swan song prior to retiring. Jfc.
Jensen isn't going through the rigors of anything. He is taking no live reps. Retirement isn't even the topic. It's whether or not he's healthy enough to play in a game. Bucs don't know the answer a year+ after his injury.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I thought Jensen played in the playoff game last season... like 80ish snaps or so. Am I not remembering correctly?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Locked on Bucs reported yesterday saying he's expected to be back opening day.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:06 am Lol. Guys don't go through the rigors of training camp as a swan song prior to retiring. Jfc.

Keep track of NFLer's that become expendable - the frequency has increased. Many vets sit around and wait on that one year deal.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:14 am I thought Jensen played in the playoff game last season... like 80ish snaps or so. Am I not remembering correctly?
You are correct, he played in the playoff loss. Probably not a smart idea in retrospect.

As far as Jensen is concerned, it's been over a year since his injury and seven months since he played live reps on it. Assuming that he hasn't reinjured anything (which is true so far as I know), I have tons of doubts about his health in future. If his knee ain't ready by now, chances are a week or three isn't going to make a difference.

The adults in the room need to sit him down and have a man-to-man conversation with him. Something in the tune of:

Given that your knee still isn't better, and we don't want to see you get reinjured trying to pretend it's healthy, maybe it's time to hang up your cleats and call it a career. Putting you on injured reserve doesn't solve the problem, because additional time to heal at this point won't make a difference. If your knee is THAT bad, you should use what mileage you have with it playing with your kids instead of trying to be a hero. Here's a reasonable injury settlement and a handshake deal to be an assistant OL coach if you're interested. What do you think Ryan?
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Maybe they already had that talk and he said no, he wants that last season. We may never know.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Xandtar wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:57 am Maybe they already had that talk and he said no, he wants that last season. We may never know.
But!

He teared up.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Cheb wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:48 am
13F11B wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:14 am I thought Jensen played in the playoff game last season... like 80ish snaps or so. Am I not remembering correctly?
You are correct, he played in the playoff loss. Probably not a smart idea in retrospect.

As far as Jensen is concerned, it's been over a year since his injury and seven months since he played live reps on it. Assuming that he hasn't reinjured anything (which is true so far as I know), I have tons of doubts about his health in future. If his knee ain't ready by now, chances are a week or three isn't going to make a difference.

The adults in the room need to sit him down and have a man-to-man conversation with him. Something in the tune of:

Given that your knee still isn't better, and we don't want to see you get reinjured trying to pretend it's healthy, maybe it's time to hang up your cleats and call it a career. Putting you on injured reserve doesn't solve the problem, because additional time to heal at this point won't make a difference. If your knee is THAT bad, you should use what mileage you have with it playing with your kids instead of trying to be a hero. Here's a reasonable injury settlement and a handshake deal to be an assistant OL coach if you're interested. What do you think Ryan?
Agree 100%. Difficult conversations to have with people, but they should be had.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

There's a good chance that conversation has happened already and it's playing out in front of us. Like you said, sitting for an extra 1-3 weeks when you've had 7 months since your last live rep isn't going to improve the situation. It's possible they already know the answer but just want to get all opinions. I mean why else would the extent of the injury be such a mystery still after a year,
JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

Same sinking feeling I had with the Nicks deal. Never misses a game as a Saint, gets Staph immediately as a Buc and then a "toe" injury.

At least they got some good mileage out of Jensen.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

JackBootedThug wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:28 pm Same sinking feeling I had with the Nicks deal. Never misses a game as a Saint, gets Staph immediately as a Buc and then a "toe" injury.

At least they got some good mileage out of Jensen.
Nicks situation was awful. That changed the course of this franchise. Those teams should have been great.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:19 pm

There's a good chance that conversation has happened already and it's playing out in front of us. Like you said, sitting for an extra 1-3 weeks when you've had 7 months since your last live rep isn't going to improve the situation. It's possible they already know the answer but just want to get all opinions. I mean why else would the extent of the injury be such a mystery still after a year,
it was reported after the playoff loss that he had tears to his MCL, PCL and ACL which caused him to miss all that time
Kona

Post by Kona »

Dude is a warrior, but probably should’ve had the surgery last year if it’s still giving him issues.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

He was participating in very limited 1 on 1 drills last week. Sadly, I doubt he's ever the player he once was.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Starting to make a lot more sense. I was incredulous about his future when we went to this offense (which requires dynamic mobility and suddenness from the C position).

Wouldn’t surprise me to see this midseason OL looking rather different than conceived on paper pre-TC.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Jensen was 100% a Brady returning signing. Literally same day. Both mistakes, but ones you have to make.

I think he'll play. I think he just likes the game too much and wants too, and yeah, think the knee is old and hurting. But they'll let him go and play his little heart out. Hey maybe he can lure in a trade partner.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

He didn't play against Pittsburgh and did not make the trip to New York. Rumors out of OBP say he won't be ready to start the season. I'm not sure what this team is going to do but this thread is pretty ominous. If this is the last year of his contract, it may be best to move on and draft a center in 2024.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

JL has been trying to find himself a smarty pants gem at center for years now. He thought it was Ali. I think Hainsey is simply going to be the guy going forward. But never rule out JL finding himself someone in the next draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:34 pm JL has been trying to find himself a smarty pants gem at center for years now. He thought it was Ali. I think Hainsey is simply going to be the guy going forward. But never rule out JL finding himself someone in the next draft.
Yea surely in his 11th draft he'll finally find his smarty pants at C....
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 am He didn't play against Pittsburgh and did not make the trip to New York. Rumors out of OBP say he won't be ready to start the season. I'm not sure what this team is going to do but this thread is pretty ominous. If this is the last year of his contract, it may be best to move on and draft a center in 2024.
We should have made a move up for Creed Humphrey when he dropped close to us.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Terry Tate wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:22 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 am He didn't play against Pittsburgh and did not make the trip to New York. Rumors out of OBP say he won't be ready to start the season. I'm not sure what this team is going to do but this thread is pretty ominous. If this is the last year of his contract, it may be best to move on and draft a center in 2024.
We were all set to take him until the Chiefs did.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:14 am

“We would’ve taken him if he were there!”

Lol
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

14 points of draft capital to have moved up 2 spots in front of the Chiefs who were 100 % going to draft Humphrey there, no questions asked.

14 points.

Trade GB our late 5th (the all-important KJ Britt!) for their 7th or something.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We should've traded up a couple spots for Vilma. Or stayed put and taken Steven Jackson.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:18 pm We should've traded up a couple spots for Vilma. Or stayed put and taken Steven Jackson.
Or traded up for Tommie Harris, the platonic ideal of the Tampa Two three tech.

Or just taken DJ Williams. People forget how talented he was. He was so good that the feeling was he could have played in the NFL out of high school.

Now I'm getting irritated about a 20 year old draft.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:37 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:18 pm We should've traded up a couple spots for Vilma. Or stayed put and taken Steven Jackson.

Or just taken DJ Williams. People forget how talented he was. He was so good that the feeling was he could have played in the NFL out of high school.

Should have not traded away Steve Young, but should have traded away the pick used to select QB Testaverde for a handful of high draft picks.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:49 pm

Should have not traded away Steve Young, but should have traded away the pick used to select QB Testaverde for a handful of high draft picks.
We should have kept Steve Young while trading away Hugh Culverhouse. As run heavy as the NFL was in the 80’s, it’s a tragedy that we didn’t get to see Young and Bo Jackson share the same backfield.

But then again, it might have been wasted with all the garbage coaching we had back then…Ray Perkins and William Richardson or whatever his name was.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:49 pm

He needed more time
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Nobody wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:35 am

14 points of draft capital to have moved up 2 spots in front of the Chiefs who were 100 % going to draft Humphrey there, no questions asked.

14 points.

Coming off the Super Bowl with Jensen secured as the starter, I think this board would have had a meltdown like Trask if we did that. "We need someone to help us win now!"
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:40 pm
Nobody wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:35 am

14 points.

Coming off the Super Bowl with Jensen secured as the starter, I think this board would have had a meltdown like Trask if we did that. "We need someone to help us win now!"
If we drafted an enormously high ceiling iOL that would have (a) been better than Cappa (minimum) immediately, (b) while we had scant depth at iOL, (c) and while we were in a situation where both Cappa and Jensen were FAs in the coming year?

I mean, forget the Marpet Surprise, at the time it was by far the most sensible move that we could have possibly made. There isn’t even a 1b ceiling/floor/value move in the stellar neighborhood. So if you’re saying this board would have blown up…well, I’ll take your word for it. But that is an indictment of the board rather than that prospective move.