G-Mac out for the year

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Sdbucs

Re: G-Mac out for the year

Post by Sdbucs »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 pm I have to agree with Bootz here. Suh hasn't stood out on this defense. Yes...he's been recognized as a positive on this defense, but that's not the same as standing out. Lee Roy Selmon stood out. Warren Sapp stood out. John Lynch stood out. Derrick Brooks stood out. McCoy stood out. LVD stands out. Vea Stands out. Suh. Not so much. And don't take that to mean I don't think he's a really good player. Within this defense, he certainly is. But he could be replaced and this defense would hardly skip a beat.
Just because he hasn't "stood out" does not mean he is not an important part of the defense. There are not many interior D-line in the league that could step in and replace him
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Sdbucs wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:53 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 pm I have to agree with Bootz here. Suh hasn't stood out on this defense. Yes...he's been recognized as a positive on this defense, but that's not the same as standing out. Lee Roy Selmon stood out. Warren Sapp stood out. John Lynch stood out. Derrick Brooks stood out. McCoy stood out. LVD stands out. Vea Stands out. Suh. Not so much. And don't take that to mean I don't think he's a really good player. Within this defense, he certainly is. But he could be replaced and this defense would hardly skip a beat.
Just because he hasn't "stood out" does not mean he is not an important part of the defense. There are not many interior D-line in the league that could step in and replace him
I never said he wasn't an important part of the defense.
Don't tread on me
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:17 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Guy never improved the team around him. The ROH is generally for guys who won. I’d rather 83(You Go Joe) to be in before 93. Hell Matt Bryant in before 93.

McCoy left sourly. And I am one of those who was thankful we brought in Suh.
Doug Williams left on a sour note as well. Do you begrudge his induction to the RoH?
I wasnt even alive for Doug Williams tenure… I have no ill feelings at all.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

McCoy was put in an impossible position, replace Sapp....

He was never the mouth of the defense or the team that Sapp was because that just ain't who he was/is

Doesn't mean he wasn't the only player on the defense for years that the other team had to know where he was on every play

I have no bad feelings for the guy and wish it had ended better for him
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:11 am
Patrick McIrish wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:35 pm BTW I must miss that "intensity and passion" from Suh?

Because he stepped on and kicked down players a few years ago that makes him passionate? He gets in trouble with the league?

That makes him a jackass.

A jackass that can play, which is all I care about but if you think that makes him more intense than VV (or anyone else) you need to do more reading about this sport.

No offense, you're a good poster, you're just way off base on this.

This is something that those who play the game and/or coach the game know better.

Fans love the water cooler getting kicked over or dirty play, it doesn't make anyone more passionate.

To me that is shown in the off-season, how hard they work when the cameras aren't on them.

That's the kind of intensity and passion you win with, Brady type of intensity.

We move on.
As far as I am aware, Suh hasn't been suspended the last SEVEN YEARS. But sure, make him out a dirty player. I guess you didn't see him jawing with Aaron Rodgers in week 6.
I used Suh because someone earlier in the thread brought him up.....
Patrick McIrish

Defense5599 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:28 pm
Great to see you again, man. We need to get together and have a few pints

Only if the first 3 are on me. :mrgreen:
Patrick McIrish

King Bootz wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:20 pm
BLT wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Exactly. Suh makes a bigger impact as a role player than McCoy ever made. McCoy was never good enough to elevate the rest of the defense as a leader. He should have been a role player not a third overall pick. Has he ever been on a top 10 defense or played in a playoff game?

McCoy's a clown.
Suh doesn't elevate this defense. He's elevated by this defense
Exactly.

I have nothing against Suh, glad we have him but at this point in his career he is elevated by those around him rather than vice versa.

A fair comparison is let McCoy line up with this front 7 and see what he could he do. Plug him into this DL?

It would be ugly for the other team.

Not responding to the troll, McCoy has been to numerous Pro-Bowls and the team voted him as Captain 6 or 7 times.....

Professional athletes don't do that to someone soft. Only on fan boards will McCoy be seen as soft, just how he and his fans want it.

We move on.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I wish Mr. McCoy well.

I too wish he would retire, his body can't cash the checks his will is writing.

Soft? In some ways maybe. He's giving everything he has left to this game, and if it's a lot less than it once was, if he never reached the status of a fellow teammate who wears a yellow coat, well that describes a lot of people in this league on their last leg. But there he was on an NFL roster in week 1 of the 2021 season, an old man by NFL standards, giving his all, and it wasn't enough. His body gave out again, and this time he might not come back. But if he does, don't say he has no heart. Every day he puts into rehab trying to recover, that's heart. It's passion and pride and hope, but alas this is probably it. Was I unhappy to see him go when he parted ways with the Bucs? No, not particularly. Have I spoken ill of him since? Not that I can recall, though there might be a quote somewhere from years ago, I don't recall. As I said, I wish him well. In another career, like the ministry for example, if possible, but in the NFL for one more go if Father Time and some team will let him. And if he is, one day years from now, put into the Ring of Honor, I won't begrudge him, for he gave us the best years of his career.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’ve said similar things on BZ but might as well repeat it. There’s not an ounce of football softness in McCoy.

You’re not a soft person if you come back from the catastrophic injuries McCoy has suffered. That rehab is a level of grueling that 99% of people will never experience. There’s pain. There’s confidence issues. Getting back to normal life is hard enough. Getting back to the NFL field is a journey. He didn’t need to come back for money. He came back because he loves to play and wants to win. I’ll take that passion every day over the head stomper variety.
HamBone

Post by HamBone »

I don’t hate GMAC…but, I hope he retires and enjoys the fruits of his labor. If he doesn’t he might end up in a wheelchair
“So we have about 75 million people who are eligible to be vaccinated who have not yet gotten vaccinated…you would cut down dramatically the number of infections if we got the overwhelming majority of that recalcitrant group vaccinated."
vivalaReagan

Post by vivalaReagan »

Cheb wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:42 pm I don't hate him. He was a very good player for us for years. Was he the platonic ideal of a football player, no, but he played his position very well and was a solid teammate.

Wish him the best moving forward.
:D i keed, i keed.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

vivalaReagan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:21 pm
Cheb wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:42 pm I don't hate him. He was a very good player for us for years. Was he the platonic ideal of a football player, no, but he played his position very well and was a solid teammate.

Wish him the best moving forward.
:D i keed, i keed.
Actually, I think he used it correctly.
Platonic idealism usually refers to Plato's theory of forms or doctrine of ideas. It holds that only ideas encapsulate the true and essential nature of things, in a way that the physical form cannot. We recognize a tree, for instance, even though its physical form may be most untreelike.
McCoy was a tree (football player) even though some (casual fans per PMI) didn't think he acted like a tree. :)
Don't tread on me