2023 Countdown to Kickoff Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kona

Re: 2023 Countdown to Kickoff Thread

Post by Kona »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I miss Brad's Fantastic Sam's commercials.
Kona

Post by Kona »

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

A better 12 for the Buccaneers.

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Dilfer an honorable mention

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:59 am A better 12 for the Buccaneers.

I still find it almost incomprehensible that they didn't give him a 2nd contact. To this day, I hate Culverhouse for that crap move. The '80s would have been a much better decade had they paid Williams.
Don't tread on me
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I would wear a Williams jersey but I don't see myself buying either of the other two
Kona

Post by Kona »

Ol Ball Coach
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

2023 Countdown to Kickoff Thread - minus 7 to 14 Days..
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Kona wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:51 am Image

Ol Ball Coach
Good find.
Don't tread on me
Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:58 am Image
He'd be the best QB on this current roster.
Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:36 am
He'd be the best QB on this current roster.
Oh, no doubt.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Stop it.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:34 amStop it.
:lol: Yeah. :oops:
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

He looks like he ate the best QB on this current roster.
FIFY
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:56 pm

He looks like he ate the best QB on this current roster.
FIFY
Today? Yes.

Then? No.
Don't tread on me
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

If I'm wrong im wrong and I'll admit it, but I really think Baker is going to make Cleveland regret dumping him.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:51 pm If I'm wrong im wrong and I'll admit it, but I really think Baker is going to make Cleveland regret dumping him.
Don't you mean the Panthers...
Don't you mean the Rams...

Baker is cooked.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:51 pm If I'm wrong im wrong and I'll admit it, but I really think Baker is going to make Cleveland regret dumping him.
I could see that happening, but only due to on or off the field failures from Watson.

I say this not as a "hater" but as a football fan of 35+ years: Baker Mayfield is what he is. Smallish, strong arm, spotty accuracy, prone to pouting, seems to be better at pretending to be a leader than actually leading.

If I had to liken him to someone, it would be a HIV-positive dehydrated homeless man's economy sized Brett Favre. Ain't no light gonna come on.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:06 pm

Baker is cooked.
I'm not going to say you're wrong. I will say he signed in Tampa as a free agent in March. He was traded to a bad Panthers team, after a tumultuous off-season, in July. The Rams? I mean, he was a free agent. He wasn't dumped by them. He wanted a chance to resurrect his career as a starting QB.

He has been in the league for 5 years. Total. It would absolutely not be the first time a notoriously poorly run organization gave up on a QB too soon... Looking in the mirror...

Give the guy a chance.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:44 pm

Baker is cooked.
I'm not going to say you're wrong. I will say he signed in Tampa as a free agent in March. He was traded to a bad Panthers team, after a tumultuous off-season, in July. The Rams? I mean, he was a free agent. He wasn't dumped by them. He wanted a chance to resurrect his career as a starting QB.

He has been in the league for 5 years. Total. It would absolutely not be the first time a notoriously poorly run organization gave up on a QB too soon... Looking in the mirror...

Give the guy a chance.
We don’t have a choice.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Baker is cooked.

Give the guy a chance.
And if he fails here, should the next team say, "The Buccaneers situation sucked, it's not his fault." Like, if you were a fan of that team, how would you feel about that? How long do we play, "Things weren't perfect for Baker so how could he be expected to succeed?"
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

People forget no one else but the Chargers wanted anything to do with Brady either...

So NoW bAkEr Is BrAdY!?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:53 pm People forget no one else but the Chargers wanted anything to do with Brady either...

So NoW bAkEr Is BrAdY!?
When you can anticipate the obvious rebuke to your silly point, why make it?

Besides, we all know Baker isn't Brady. That's fine! The problem is, he's not one of about 28-30 clearly superior starting quarterbacks in the league, either.

We know why Baker is here. You don't need to be defensive because everyone isn't sharing your delusion that it's something other than it is. Dude is down to his last chance as a starter. We're the only situation that didn't have a better option and couldn't afford to pursue one. That's all it is. Let's get this season over with and move on with our fan lives.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Now do Brad Johnson.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:03 pm Now do Brad Johnson.
You mean, the Brad Johnson who was one of the hottest commodities on the FA market that year, who we outbid the Ravens and Chiefs to add, who was only available because Dan Snyder was an idiot? The Brad Johnson who had led every team he'd quarterbacked to over .500? Who'd gone 17-10 as a starter the previous two years with mediocre Washington teams, leading 8 game winning drives along the way? The Brad Johnson who'd overcome being an 8th Round pick to start 50 games to that point, beating out a ton of more heralded players? Is that the comparison you'd like to make?
Let's roll another joint
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:32 pm
I could see that happening, but only due to on or off the field failures from Watson.

I say this not as a "hater" but as a football fan of 35+ years: Baker Mayfield is what he is. Smallish, strong arm, spotty accuracy, prone to pouting, seems to be better at pretending to be a leader than actually leading.

If I had to liken him to someone, it would be a HIV-positive dehydrated homeless man's economy sized Brett Favre. Ain't no light gonna come on.
If as a fan of 35+ years (for me 31) you would remember guys like (not in any particular order) Rodney Peete, Scott Mitchell, Eric Kramer, Koy and Ty Detmer, Trent Dilfer, Guy Hebert, Mark Rypien, Mark Brunelle, Steve Beuerlien, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny T, Dave Krieg, Stan Humphries.

There are a ton more examples over the years but the point here is most guys here listed at least (and in my memory) led their teams to the playoffs and a playoff victory, in atleast 1 season, some more than others. They are not franchise guys but are in my mind good. Two on this list went on to win a SB or 2 as a starting QB.

I could definitely see Baker on this list and still think he has potential to be more than some or most on this list. It would be hard to say right now with a questionable running game but having Evans and Godwin (fingers cross they stay healthy) could maybe see a version of Flutie and Mark Rypien in Baker. Now I'm not saying he'll go out and win SB's like Mark but to have a good year? Lead us to multiple playoffs? Absolutely.

You remember when no one knew who Kurt Warner was prior to 99, teams gave up on him or never gave him a chance. Grocery store, Had to do stints in NFL Europe and Arena football.

Jeff George was another one, only when he got to Atlanta. I don't recall him ever in the playoffs with the Falcons but man, I always thought he was a hell of a QB.. Especially when he had Emmanuel, Rison and Mathis to throw to.
Last edited by Central_Buc on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Wait, so you can go deeper than just "We'Re HiS fOuRtH TeAm"? Well look at that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:52 pm

Give the guy a chance.
And if he fails here, should the next team say, "The Buccaneers situation sucked, it's not his fault." Like, if you were a fan of that team, how would you feel about that? How long do we play, "Things weren't perfect for Baker so how could he be expected to succeed?"
If he fails here he’s clearly done.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Officially down to single digits now! I can't wait!!
Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Give the guy a chance.
And that WILL happen, you know...if he fails here, some team will think exactly that and sign him. Just like we did.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:38 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:32 pm

If as a fan of 35+ years (for me 31) you would remember guys like (not in any particular order) Rodney Peete, Scott Mitchell, Eric Kramer, Koy and Ty Detmer, Trent Dilfer, Guy Hebert, Mark Rypien, Mark Brunelle, Steve Beuerlien, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny T, Dave Krieg, Stan Humphries.

There are a ton more examples over the years but the point here is most guys here listed at least (and in my memory) led their teams to the playoffs and a playoff victory, in atleast 1 season, some more than others. They are not franchise guys but are in my mind good. Two on this list went on to win a SB or 2 as a starting QB.

I could definitely see Baker on this list and still think he has potential to be more than some or most on this list. It would be hard to say right now with a questionable running game but having Evans and Godwin (fingers cross they stay healthy) could maybe see a version of Flutie and Mark Rypien in Baker. Now I'm not saying he'll go out and win SB's like Mark but to have a good year? Lead us to multiple playoffs? Absolutely.

You remember when no one knew who Kurt Warner was prior to 99, teams gave up on him or never gave him a chance. Grocery store, Had to do stints in NFL Europe and Arena football.

Jeff George was another one, only when he got to Atlanta. I don't recall him ever in the playoffs with the Falcons but man, I always thought he was a hell of a QB.. Especially when he had Emmanuel, Rison and Mathis to throw to.
I can name ten guys who "were what we thought they were" for every "terrible quarterback becomes an okay quarterback" story you can.

Exceptions to Rules are not a plan.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:49 pm

And that WILL happen, you know...if he fails here, some team will think exactly that and sign him. Just like we did.
If the Dude was a third round pick instead of #1 overall, nobody is bothering to play this game with him. He's in a clown car with guys like Drew Lock and Jacoby Brissett.
Let's roll another joint