Washington Football Team gets a do-over

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Deja Entendu

Re: Washington Football Team gets a do-over

Post by Deja Entendu »

Phantom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:08 pm Redtails
Redwolves
Red Hogs

According to ESPN reporter Don Van Natta Jr., a third name change might be on the horizon.

“Yes, I think there’s a pretty good chance of that, to erase any part of the [Dan] Snyder legacy, to have a complete do-over,” Van Natta Jr. said on The Rich Eisen Show. “I would not be surprised at all if we see a name change and a complete rebranding.”
My grade school were the Wolves, and that was a common name I’d make when creating a team in Madden back in the day.

It was always strange to me there wasn’t a pro team named Wolves since they’re inherently bad ass. All that said, I don’t want them being the Wolves (or Redwolves).

Redtails seems fitting.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Redtails would be pretty slick because it can play up that stick and rudder aesthetic.

They'll never use it.
JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

Yes, because multiple professional sport franchises in the same city / area / state are usually available for sale at the same time. And the pool of potential buyers for this fantasy is vast.

Or being an uber successful business person is more concerned about numbers to the left of the decimal point than scoring points of "fandom".
MJW

Post by MJW »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:19 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:08 pm Redtails
Redwolves
Red Hogs

My grade school were the Wolves, and that was a common name I’d make when creating a team in Madden back in the day.

It was always strange to me there wasn’t a pro team named Wolves since they’re inherently bad ass. All that said, I don’t want them being the Wolves (or Redwolves).

Redtails seems fitting.
Assuming this was pre Minnesota basketball?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

MJW wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:37 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:19 pm

Redtails seems fitting.
Assuming this was pre Minnesota basketball?
Sorry I meant pro football.

The Timberwolves came about when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, and coincidentally shared our color scheme.

Always had a soft spot for them and I love their original throwbacks for that reason.

Probably why I love seeing the throwback Seahawks unis too. Same colors.
Last edited by Deja Entendu on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

My company is based in MN and a few years ago while out at the home office I went to a Timberwolves game. As chance would have it, it was 90s night. I was thrilled thinking it’d be the colors I loved and I’d be able to get some gear matching my old school.

Our basketball jerseys (which I didn’t play) were identical to their original jerseys.

I was pretty disappointed when they went with the mid/late 90/ looks. Literally the only thing for sale in the entire arena that matched my school colors was a mini-backpack… for $80.

Bummer.

On the plus side Coolio performed at half times. Ride out onto the court in a low rider with hydraulics. RIP big homie
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:17 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:16 pm

And lifelong Skins/WFT/Commanders fan.

Weird that he now owns three teams with rival fan bases.
That should never be allowed. Huge huge conflict of interest. If I were a multiple team sports owner, I'd want all my teams in one city/metro area.
In a perfect world that would be ideal, and if the owner was a good one then they would be like a de facto mayor in the town.

But imagine for a second if a guy like Dan Snyder or Hugh Culverhouse owned every professional sports team in your local metro area. Pure unmitigated pain year-round.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:23 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:17 pm

That should never be allowed. Huge huge conflict of interest. If I were a multiple team sports owner, I'd want all my teams in one city/metro area.
In a perfect world that would be ideal, and if the owner was a good one then they would be like a de facto mayor in the town.

But imagine for a second if a guy like Dan Snyder or Hugh Culverhouse owned every professional sports team in your local metro area. Pure unmitigated pain year-round.

Conversely, imagine if Mr. Vinik had controlling interest in the Rays and Bucs.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Rocker wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:12 pm
Cheb wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:23 pm

Imagine if the Glazers had controlling interest in the Bucs and Man U. How would that work
Kress

Post by Kress »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:59 pm
Rocker wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:12 pm

Imagine if the Glazers had controlling interest in the Bucs and Man U. How would that work

Silly question because ManU wasn't for sale.
MRM

Post by MRM »

Go back to Redskins. More white people were "offended" by that name than actual Native-Americans were.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

MRM wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:53 am Go back to Redskins. More white people were "offended" by that name than actual Native-Americans were.
Yep. Just like more white people were offended than black people over Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Maybe there are just too many white people.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I think they should be the Washington Killer Whales, shortened of course to the Washington Willies.

Or perhaps they should be the DeeCees, I bet the trademark troll didn't buy that one.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I did like Washington Football Team, but they could have done better. Like there is Football Club Barcelona, they could have been Football Team Washington.

FTW

'nuff said.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I really don't give a shit what they call them to be quite honest.
Don't tread on me
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@Buc2 Then why ever read this thread in the first place?

Washington Bobcats? Washington Minks? They could have a fur lined collar to their uniforms lol
MJW

Post by MJW »

Honestly, I'm Team "Washington Football Team." It's clean. It's modern. It opens up a ton of possibilities for a more abstract or memorable logo than if it was just an animal or something.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:09 pm @Buc2 Then why ever read this thread in the first place?
For entertainment.
Don't tread on me
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

There are some articles popping up recently that people are, especially DC area are signing petitions and putting some pressure to bring the Redskins back.

Even a strong Native American group is formally asking the team to go back to the Redskins.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/native-a ... o-redskins

The letter talked about the history of the Washington football team and it’s relationship with the Native American community dating back to its 1933 season when they were named the Boston Redskins.

“At this moment in history, we are formally requesting that the team revitalize its relationship with the American Indian community by (i) changing the name back to ‘The Redskins’ which recognizes America’s original inhabitants and (ii) using the team’s historic name and legacy to encourage Americans to learn about, not cancel, the history of America’s tribes and our role in the founding of this Great Nation,” the letter read.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:21 am There are some articles popping up recently that people are, especially DC area are signing petitions and putting some pressure to bring the Redskins back.

Even a strong Native American group is formally asking the team to go back to the Redskins.

The letter talked about the history of the Washington football team and it’s relationship with the Native American community dating back to its 1933 season when they were named the Boston Redskins.

“At this moment in history, we are formally requesting that the team revitalize its relationship with the American Indian community by (i) changing the name back to ‘The Redskins’ which recognizes America’s original inhabitants and (ii) using the team’s historic name and legacy to encourage Americans to learn about, not cancel, the history of America’s tribes and our role in the founding of this Great Nation,” the letter read.
I have a better chance of becoming a rocket surgeon than that name coming back.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

acmillis wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:47 am
Central_Buc wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:21 am There are some articles popping up recently that people are, especially DC area are signing petitions and putting some pressure to bring the Redskins back.

I have a better chance of becoming a rocket surgeon than that name coming back.
:lol:

I could possibly see bringing the logo back and rebranding it with a tribal name (like FSU) or "Natives"
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I like Natives as it blatantly explains the history, but it’s not…ummm… rah-rah, fight fight fight enough
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I'm learning something new every time about this.

(never knew this) The Redskins logo was an actual person, Chief White Calf. At the time of inception into the league in 1933, the native American Association gave the NFL a portrait of Chief White Calf as a gift and for use and approved name and symbol (Redskins) for the football team.

This is why the Native American Association wants it all reinstated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnew ... awsuit.amp
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Central_Buc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 am I'm learning something new every time about this.

(never knew this) The Redskins logo was an actual person, Chief White Calf. At the time of inception into the league in 1933, the native American Association gave the NFL a portrait of Chief White Calf as a gift and for use and approved name and symbol (Redskins) for the football team.

Read the article.

The depiction of white calf was used by the president of the group to design the logo in the first place.

THE SAME GROUP years later decides that the whole thing is fucked up and should be done away with, which to the MAJOR DISPOSITION of white people was done.

Now we have a supposed group of native American activists who got together in 2017 for the purpose of sticking up for the cultural sensibilities of the white man.

And I don't want to hear a single word about how the logo honors White Calf because before this lawsuit, nobody was honoring him at redskins games.

This is pure astroturfed culture war bullshit peddled by angry white people who think it's government tyranny to ban the N-word.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

The Red Squids.

They're mean and there's no way the trademark troll used this...

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Xandtar wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:59 pm The Red Squids.

Commanders is ok but they need to create a logo. The W is fine as a secondary.

They are in DC and should go Washington Presidents, honoring US Presidents. The Capital building as the primary logo. I think it goes better in line with Philadelphia Eagles, the Eagle being a symbol of the US, Philly also former US Capital.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:26 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 am I'm learning something new every time about this.

Read the article.

The depiction of white calf was used by the president of the group to design the logo in the first place.

THE SAME GROUP years later decides that the whole thing is fucked up and should be done away with, which to the MAJOR DISPOSITION of white people was done.

Now we have a supposed group of native American activists who got together in 2017 for the purpose of sticking up for the cultural sensibilities of the white man.

And I don't want to hear a single word about how the logo honors White Calf because before this lawsuit, nobody was honoring him at redskins games.

This is pure astroturfed culture war bullshit peddled by angry white people who think it's government tyranny to ban the N-word.

William Henry "Lone Star" Dietz - look at his pic, they tried him saying he wasnt an Indian.

"The Redskins (were) the only team in the National Football League (NFL) to honor an actual Native American."

— Native American Guardians Association

As usual - MB with his backwards news.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Read the article.

The founder and president if full blown Sioux, Eunice Davidson. So why are you talking about that this is a fake organization built by angry white people? How is having a logo that looks just like him on the field and the helmets not honoring him? Have you been in the stadium? Do you know if they had any displays, perhaps his portrait behind glass? I'm really not sure why this triggered you, MB
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:13 pm
Read the article.

The founder and president if full blown Sioux, Eunice Davidson. So why are you talking about that this is a fake organization built by angry white people? How is having a logo that looks just like him on the field and the helmets not honoring him? Have you been in the stadium? Do you know if they had any displays, perhaps his portrait behind glass? I'm really not sure why this triggered you, MB
I don't care how many front men they have. Read the article. It has nothing to do with Native Americans and everything to do with the same old crowd that's been bellyaching about this shit since the name change.

Their lawyers came right out and said it. Payback.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Central_Buc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:37 pm
Xandtar wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:59 pm The Red Squids.

Commanders is ok but they need to create a logo. The W is fine as a secondary.

They are in DC and should go Washington Presidents, honoring US Presidents. The Capital building as the primary logo. I think it goes better in line with Philadelphia Eagles, the Eagle being a symbol of the US, Philly also former US Capital.
Actually, if you want to be totally accurate, their HQ and practice facility is in Ashburn, VA and their stadium is in Maryland. Hell, even their team store is in Maryland.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

No, it should go back to the Redskins just to show Soros he is wasting his time here in America.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:54 am No, it should go back to the Redskins just to show Soros he is wasting his time here in America.
@kaimaru see what I mean?
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

You can't give away your name and then take it back.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:17 pm You can't give away your name and then take it back.

I didnt.

A Goliath grouper is still a jewfish - I didnt change that either.