Top Ten Bucs Of All Time?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Top Ten Bucs Of All Time?

Post by MJW »

I've been seeing a "Top Ten Players Of [Team]" Meme format popping up on FaceySpace.

Top Ten Bucs? In Order?

My list would be:

1) Derrick Brooks
2) Ronde Barber
3) Lee Roy Selmon
4) Mike Evans
5) Warren Sapp
6) John Lynch
7) Lavonte David
8) Paul Gruber
9) Mike Alstott
10) Doug Williams

You?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Re: Top Ten Bucs Of All Time?

Post by 13F11B »

If we say guys drafted by the Buccaneers. Yes. If it is anyone who played for the Buccaneers I would have to put Brady in there.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I'd bump Paul Gruber up one spot and replace Doug Williams with James Wilder, who played all nine years of his career with the Bucs. I know, Doug's wearing Bucs colors in his Hall profile (hah, it's a black and white photo, no creamsicle), but who's kidding who, the Super Bowl win was with the Red Potato Skins, and without that, I don't think he'd be in there.

I assume just to be safe that anyone who's a lock on some other team's all-time list is disqualified from ours?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Are we talking objectively for the bucs or personal favorites?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:20 pm Are we talking objectively for the bucs or personal favorites?
As objectively as possible in a subjective world.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Peak, longevity, accolades, franchise impact, supporting cast. So many things to factor in, or not factor in, when determining greatness.

1) Derrick Brooks
2) Lee Roy Selmon
3) Ronde Barber
4) Warren Sapp
5) Lavonte David
6) Mike Evans
7) John Lynch
8) Paul Gruber
9) Mike Alstott
10) Gerald McCoy

I’m fairly confident about 1-5. It gets dicey after that.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:47 pm Peak, longevity, accolades, franchise impact, supporting cast. So many things to factor in, or not factor in, when determining greatness.

1) Derrick Brooks
2) Lee Roy Selmon
3) Ronde Barber
4) Warren Sapp
5) Lavonte David
6) Mike Evans
7) John Lynch
8) Paul Gruber
9) Mike Alstott
10) Gerald McCoy

Shaq Barrett has done more as a Buccaneer than McCoy
Snake

Post by Snake »

>Raheem Morris
>Greg Schiano
>Dirk Koetter

Blame Gerald.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

1.Derrick Brooks
2.Lee Roy Selmon
3.Warren Sapp
4.Ronde Barber
5.Mike Evans
6.John Lynch
7.Lavonte David
8.Mike Alstott
9.Paul Gruber
10.Tom Brady
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Would Santana Dotson make honorable mention? Only here for 3 years but we drafted him.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Top 5
1. Brooks
2. Selmon
3. Lynch
4. Sapp
5. Alstott/Evans
Hon mention: Brady—Hard to list him a Buc after just a couple years but he was the GOAT and won us a SB.

Bottom 5
1. Freeman
2. McCants
3. A. Harper
4. M. Barron
5. Jameis
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Yeah, I know he played for Arizona before coming here, but until Shaq Barrett arrived, we haven't had a pash rusher worth two pennies rubbed together since Simeon Rice.
Push the damned button already!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Snake wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:47 pm Peak, longevity, accolades, franchise impact, supporting cast. So many things to factor in, or not factor in, when determining greatness.

1) Derrick Brooks
2) Lee Roy Selmon
3) Ronde Barber
4) Warren Sapp
5) Lavonte David
6) Mike Evans
7) John Lynch
8) Paul Gruber
9) Mike Alstott
10) Gerald McCoy

This list is really good. I'm going to make two controversial changes to it:

* LVD goes 4 and Warren goes 5. Both won a Super Bowl, but LVD has Warren on longevity by a lot. He's already got 3 years as a Buc on Warren and 36 more starts. That will get extended this year (by hopefully a lot). LVD year-in, year-out excellence has been amazing and that is despite playing in several different defenses, half-of-which put him out of the playmaking position on defense. When he was featured early? His raw playmaking statistics were unprecedented in Bucdom outside of one Ronde Barber.

* Wirfs already at 10. Yes, longevity isn't there at all. But his first 3 years in the NFL are the greatest first 3 years in Buc history. He was a top 3-4 RT in the league as a rookie and was the best player (easily) on a Super Bowl winning OL. All Pro the next two years with 1st team in 2021. His 3 year peak is already right there as one of the greatest peaks of all time, if not the greatest. If he stays healthy and continues this track, he'll trivially crack the top 5 and will push Mount Rushmore names down.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

1) Derrick Brooks - One of the few players that competes with other GOATs on all-time lists.
2) Lee Roy Selmon - Our first HoF and doing it during the creamsicle era.
3) Warren Sapp - Probably our most recognizable name and for a reason. Reshaped the DT position to his image.
4) Tom Brady - Yeah, I said it. The GOATs best season is arguably the one in pewter, which weighs heavy. That trophy toss.
5) Ronde Barber - Second biggest name defense wise with the team's greatest play.
6) Lavonte David - Embodiment of the post-dungy-D Bucs, all pro, all timer, despite lack of love around the league.
7) Mike Evans - Our all time WR and the best weapon we've ever had. The Mike Evans Mile Marker will stand for a long time.
8) John Lynch - Really personifies what it means to be a Buc, WRs are still waking up sore.
9) Paul Gruber - Being one of the most beloved Guards is not an easy thing to do.
10) Mike Alstott - When you're a fullback even casual fans can name, that says something. Face of Buc Ball.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Lots of good lists. Hard to really argue about any of the names I've seen listed. All great Bucs.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I have decided to weigh in. I am going to go with the following:
  • Derrick Brooks (met him)
  • Warren Sapp (met him)
  • Mike Evans
  • Kevin House
  • James Wilder
  • Mike Alstott (met him)
  • Ronde Barber (met him)
  • Lavonte David
  • LeRoy Selmon
  • John Lynch (met him)
Honorable mentions:
Doug Williams, Martin Gramatica, Simeon Rice, Ricky Bell, Ricky Reynolds (met him), Micheal Spurlock, Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

The lists are pretty solid. The only thing I have to add is that Sapp should be #1. He was the engine that made our legendary Tampa 2 go. He was the archetype for a 3 tech and he was the first guy people thought of nationwide when you talk about a DT. At least, until the era of Aaron Donald.

Brooks, Lynch and Barber were all fantastic but none of them meant what Sapp did.

I am currently wrestling with the idea of Brady being on there. We only had him for 3 years but man, what a 3 years. Even the elder version of Brady we had was the best offensive player in Bucs history. If he had played one more year, he'd probably own every Bucs passing record.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:11 am The lists are pretty solid. The only thing I have to add is that Sapp should be #1.
I put Sapp #2 because Brooks was a Buccaneers longer.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Vita Vea will soon crack these lists
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think people are ready for 4 years of Vea/Kancey.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:38 pm Vita Vea will soon crack these lists
He's gotta stay healthy to crack these lists. That's been a problem for him.
Most hated man in America.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

1.Lee Roy Selmon
2.Derrick Brooks
3.Ronde Barber
4.Warren Sapp
5.James Wilder
6.John Lynch
7.Lavonte David
8.Mike Alstott
9.Paul Gruber
10.Mike Evans
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Snake wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:03 pm >Raheem Morris
>Greg Schiano
>Dirk Koetter

Blame Gerald.
Anyone else remember the kind of DBs we defecated onto the field during those days? I remember starting EJ Biggers at corner and watching Chris Conte get banished to the shadow realm. It’s ridiculous how many people expected a DT to carry a team to success or something. Terrible coaches, terrible QBs, horrendously bad secondaries. But it was always the Pro Bowl DT that was the problem with some.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:56 am
Snake wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:03 pm >Raheem Morris
>Greg Schiano
>Dirk Koetter

Blame Gerald.
Anyone else remember the kind of DBs we defecated onto the field during those days? I remember starting EJ Biggers at corner and watching Chris Conte get banished to the shadow realm. It’s ridiculous how many people expected a DT to carry a team to success or something. Terrible coaches, terrible QBs, horrendously bad secondaries. But it was always the Pro Bowl DT that was the problem with some.
Don't forget who was on the line with him. I distinctly remember a few games where both DE's were being stonewalled one on one by TE's, so Gerald was seeing double teams all game.

A lot of people thought he was goofy and didn't like him apologizing to Big Ben on the field. I get it to a certain degree. However, in his prime he was dynamite. His first step as a DT was deadly, sometimes he looked like he was past the opposing Oline before they even got out of their sets.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Hmm.

One way around this dance around numbers 9 and 10 is to change the question.

Field a team. All-Time First Team Bucs offense and All-Time First Team Bucs defense.

On THIS team, I would put Tom Brady in at QB, even though I didn't put him on the other list where longevity matters because if I had a young Steve Young or an early-career-before-the-USFL Doug Williams to compete with an old Tom Brady, I'd still take Brady.

This isn't different enough from the Top Ten to justify its own thread and I'm a little too casual to fill out all the positions appropriately.

Anyone want to take a crack at an All-Time Bucs team?

Edit: You can take a player in their prime if you want, their peak year as a Buc, to maximize the all-time-ness of it.

Edit 2: If others think this is derailing this thread, I'll remove it. You can't search for a thread on All-Time Bucs team because all of those words are too common, but maybe it's been done in one of those many offseasons I was altogether gone instead of being a little more active a few days before and after the draft. If so, sorry.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:01 am

Don't forget who was on the line with him. I distinctly remember a few games where both DE's were being stonewalled one on one by TE's, so Gerald was seeing double teams all game.

A lot of people thought he was goofy and didn't like him apologizing to Big Ben on the field. I get it to a certain degree. However, in his prime he was dynamite. His first step as a DT was deadly, sometimes he looked like he was past the opposing Oline before they even got out of their sets.
That's because he was good for at least 5 offsides penalties per season...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nice idea Xandtar, I'll give it some thought.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:38 pm Vita Vea will soon crack these lists
Wirfs is a mortal lock, if he stays healthy.
Vea also.
Godwin isn't out of the realm of possibility, either.

And if Marpet had played out one more contract...

It's nice that competition is so fierce. I'm old enough to remember when you'd have dudes on this list that the average football fan hadn't heard of.
Let's roll another joint
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:57 pm
Vea also.

It's nice that competition is so fierce. I'm old enough to remember when you'd have dudes on this list that the average football fan hadn't heard of.
Like Mark Cotney and Charley Hannah?
Don't tread on me
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:11 am Would Santana Dotson make honorable mention? Only here for 3 years but we drafted him.
Heck no. Maybe top 100.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:01 am

In 2010 we picked McCoy and then Brian Price who passed his medical with us - huge set back. Picked 2 DT's in seven years then Vea in 2018. Even now we are not sure Vea will have a huge stat producing guy next to him.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I am. He will. Haters about to get Kanceled.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:02 pm I am. He will. Haters about to get Kanceled.

Both Vea and Kancey can and will get tired. I think this front three is still incomplete.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buc2 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:17 pm
MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:57 pm

Vea also.

LOL, those are good ones.

The most prolific receiver through our first 25 years of existence was Mark Carrier, aka, "I thought he was a safety with the Bears?" Mark Carrier.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:26 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:17 pm

LOL, those are good ones.

The most prolific receiver through our first 25 years of existence was Mark Carrier, aka, "I thought he was a safety with the Bears?" Mark Carrier.

Wait Mark Carrier from Nichols St, no way he could move up into the Supreme talent of the NFL.

I think Kevin House was slightly better - the guy from Southern Illinois.