***Official 2024 Draft Thread!!***

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Bootz

Re: ***Official 2024 Draft Thread!!***

Post by Bootz »

Penix would probably be a top 20 prospect if he were a year or 2 younger and didn't have an extensive injury history.
Most hated man in America.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:36 am Penix would probably be a top 20 prospect if he were a year or 2 younger and didn't have an extensive injury history.
I don't see why being older is that much of a disadvantage for a non-scrambling QB. If a team is getting A+/A- or even B+ QB play, he is worth a top pick. Agree with his other drawback you bring up.

Some guys are slow learners, but it is still smart to do as much learning and polishing as you can in college to boost your draft stock. It is good for NFL franchises as well that more QBs do this. That way we know fully we'll what Spencer Rattler is and what Bo Nix and Penix are.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:26 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:36 am Penix would probably be a top 20 prospect if he were a year or 2 younger and didn't have an extensive injury history.
I don't see why being older is that much of a disadvantage for a non-scrambling QB. If a team is getting A+/A- or even B+ QB play, he is worth a top pick. Agree with his other drawback you bring up.

Some guys are slow learners, but it is still smart to do as much learning and polishing as you can in college to boost your draft stock. It is good for NFL franchises as well that more QBs do this. That way we know fully we'll what Spencer Rattler is and what Bo Nix and Penix are.
Because contrary to popular belief here, QBs do decline as they age. The "Brady effect" has thwarted Bucs fans' thinking in regards to QBs; they think that it's the norm to play at a high level well into your 40s.

That's why you look at some scouting reports for Penix and most other older QBs or prospects who are 24 or older, their age is almost always listed as a negative. And when you consider how injury prone Penix has been, it's a matter of how far you'll get with your investment.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yes and no. Brady did skew all the numbers, but overall QBs literally look younger and healthier than the previous era.

Before 30 was the red flag, now its more like 33. Not a Brady 43 mind you, but still a move. Other guys like Brees and Rodgers went in too.

But yeah, people make way too much of age. If you can get a great 5 year playoff window from a guy now a days thats fantastic. And if that comes at ages 27-32, so be it. A window is a window.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Drafting Tvandre Sweat to rotate with Vea would be pretty cool. Probably down the priority list but I like the idea of downs where both are lined up in the middle of the defense, completely shutting down the interior Oline.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:06 pm Drafting Tvandre Sweat to rotate with Vea would be pretty cool. Probably down the priority list but I like the idea of downs where both are lined up in the middle of the defense, completely shutting down the interior Oline.
I wouldn't hate it. Vea isn't getting any younger either and he's been pretty beat up over his career. But I imagine Greg Gaines is well liked for what he does.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Doctor wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm The craziest thing is that Drake May was literally the #2 name everyone threw around all year for us to tank for and now he may be there at 26.

Rodgers flashbacks.
I see you posted this on April 1st.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Would not be surprised to have added one of these fellas on day two.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I've seen some mocks have us taking WR Brian Thomas from LSU.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:50 pm I've seen some mocks have us taking WR Brian Thomas from LSU.
I'd love to see who else is available. We had a shit ton of needs and WR is far down that list.
Snake

Post by Snake »

QB mechanics grades

https://theathletic.com/5390475/2024/04 ... gs-grades/

Caleb Williams
Efficiency: 4.8
Adaptability: 5
Speed: 4.25
Overall: 4.9

Drake Maye
Efficiency: 3.6
Adaptability: 3.5
Speed: 3.3
Overall: 3.75

Jayden Daniels
Efficiency: 4
Adaptability: 3.5
Speed: 3.6
Overall: 3.8

J.J. McCarthy
Efficiency: 3.8
Adaptability: 4
Speed: 3.1
Overall: 3.75

Michael Penix Jr.
Adaptability: 3.3
Speed: 3.3
Overall: 3.8

Bo Nix
Adaptability: 4
Speed: 3.8
Overall: 3.9

Spencer Rattler
Efficiency: 4.3
Adaptability: 4.25
Speed: 3.5
Overall: 4

From the article: “[The QB coaches] graded efficiency, speed, adaptability and overall mechanics on a scale of 1-5. [The article's author] averaged their overall grades for a final grade. Efficiency is the ability to transfer force from their hips, speed is how quick their release is, and adaptability is how well they can adjust their mechanics to overcome external factors. The overall grade isn’t a cumulative score of the other three categories but just a grade on the quarterback’s overall mechanics that could include factors outside of the listed categories.”
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake

Post by Snake »

JJ’s PR handlers are amazing.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:59 pm JJ’s PR handlers are amazing.
A guy that squeaky clean doesn't need PR handlers. At least during his college career at Michigan, he has been nothing short of a model citizen, the kind of athlete you want as a role model for kids.

I wish him all future success. Great dude.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He’ll have a nice tumble in the draft.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I always find that odd. A 4th round grade or something on an obviously not 4th round player based on off the field concerns.

Either that stuff continues and it’s a problem or it doesn’t and it’s not. Or, it does continue, but he matures and manages it to a point where he has a driver when he smokes pot. Plenty of these guys party and play great. It’s all about managing it. He seemed to do that at Texas?

Warren Sapp didn’t stop partying. Randy Moss didn’t stop partying.

This guy was a 1st round pick. Someone will probably get a steal because they don’t mind a little “risk.”

If you’re calling him a 4th rounder you might as well just say you wouldn’t draft him.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:03 am I always find that odd. A 4th round grade or something on an obviously not 4th round player based on off the field concerns.

Either that stuff continues and it’s a problem or it doesn’t and it’s not. Or, it does continue, but he matures and manages it to a point where he has a driver when he smokes pot. Plenty of these guys party and play great. It’s all about managing it. He seemed to do that at Texas?

This guy was a 1st round pick. Someone will probably get a steal because they don’t mind a little “risk.”

If you’re calling him a 4th rounder you might as well just say you wouldn’t draft him.
Agreed.

To say that Sweat is a fourth rounder is more than a bit absurd. On the field, he's not that far from Derrick Brown and Jordan Davis and Vita Vea as a prospect. A hair below them, to be sure, but not by much. To say Sweat is a fourth rounder now because of this is a bit of a stretch.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Wonder how far he falls.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:03 am I always find that odd. A 4th round grade or something on an obviously not 4th round player based on off the field concerns.

He's looking at jail time

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ht-charges
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 pm

He's looking at jail time

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ht-charges
Rashee Rice is? There's nothing in that article about Sweat.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

So it's a slow day today in the office, so I've been churning through some potential late rounders.

Daequan Hardy, CB out of Penn State, has my interest. He's very small but fast and explosive as hell, one of the better return men in the country, has skills in coverage. I see him projected as a very late draft pick, maybe worth a 6th or 7th rounder.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Patriots might be the team likely to trade the pick.

The Vikings are the team to watch to trade up.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I am not as enthusiastic about this year's draft unless the Bucs make a move to trade up into the top 10.

Bowers
draftguy2424

Post by draftguy2424 »

Phantom wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm I am not as enthusiastic about this year's draft unless the Bucs make a move to trade up into the top 10.

Bowers
It's too expensive this year with all the quarterbacks.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Phantom wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm I am not as enthusiastic about this year's draft unless the Bucs make a move to trade up into the top 10.

Bowers
That would be a disaster.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Ok so what if... AZ trades down with NYG/MIN/DEN/LV... and Marvin Harrison is sitting there at 5. The Bears go and trade up with LAC.

Caleb + Harrison to the Bears

Sheesh.

Can't believe how amazing of a situation Chicago found themselves in this year.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CBS mock has the Bucs taking Barton with the next two picks being Latu and Chop.

Wonder how people would feel about that. JPJ would be a no brainer, but idk how I'd feel about Barton over those EDGE guys. Pretty good way for the board to fall regardless.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Backside wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:59 pm CBS mock has the Bucs taking Barton with the next two picks being Latu and Chop.

Wonder how people would feel about that. JPJ would be a no brainer, but idk how I'd feel about Barton over those EDGE guys. Pretty good way for the board to fall regardless.
Would not agree with that play.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:59 pm CBS mock has the Bucs taking Barton with the next two picks being Latu and Chop.

I would prefer Barton. He would help get us a TRUE IOL, which should help the run game and pass pro.

Latu is a no for me. I'm not taking a player who missed 2 years with a neck injury with a premium pick.

Chop, meh. I don't see the production. Seems everyone is going with the "Micah Parsons wasn't productive either" excuse for him.

Barton would be the pick for me.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I like Barton, but would prefer Latu. He's one of the most savvy collegiate edge rushers I've seen in a long time. One could argue that Latu is maxed out physically and isn't much of a physically dominant dude, nor will he ever be, but he rushes so damn smooth I think it's forgiveable.