***Official 2024 Draft Thread!!***

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
kaimaru

Re: ***Official 2024 Draft Thread!!***

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 pm
Backside wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am Kiper new mock:

I really don't see the Bucs going WR. Especially over Chop. And unless I missed it JPJ didn't go in the first round at all.
He didn't. JPJ would be my choice if the board fell this way. Nothing against Xavier Worthy, he's very talented and electric. But we can't block worth a damn. Chop, Tampa, Mims would be good selections as well over a WR.
Kiper's final mock had Houston passing on CJ Stroud, Will Levis going 4th overall, Anthony Richardson going 8 picks after Levis. Us picking Broderick Jones. I am not sure he is doing anything more than using a mock draft site like mdb does
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Mel Kiper is a hack.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I hope ya'll get it all sorted out.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:52 pm I just can’t see Licht going C over DE with our first rounder. He’s passed on talented IOL before for D-line and seems hell bent on getting the D-line together… which I’m all for

This also seems like one of those drafts where DE talent will sneak by. Everyone’s so focused on the QB/OL/WR talent

Depends on how he has them tiered.

I swear there is one of those S,A,B,C,D tiered charts in the war room. If he has Verse, Latu, and JPJ all A tier and Chol B tier, I can see it being JPJ.

With that said I agree with you. I think there will be a run on other positions passing to a talented EDGE falling to us.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What is Chol
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Is it certain that Harrison Jr to Cardinals a lock?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:26 pm Is it certain that Harrison Jr to Cardinals a lock?
There are rumors, specifically Minnesota or Denver, may move up to Arizona's spot. All you need is one who wants that #4 QB off the board
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Interesting, I was doing a mock draft and Brock Bowers fell all the way to 26. Would anyone here grab him or still grab edge/iOL?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:54 pm Interesting, I was doing a mock draft and Brock Bowers fell all the way to 26. Would anyone here grab him or still grab edge/iOL?
When it came to our pick there were 2 prospects I wanted. I tried to make a trade with several different teams to get the player, including all of next years draft and they would not do it.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:08 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:54 pm Interesting, I was doing a mock draft and Brock Bowers fell all the way to 26. Would anyone here grab him or still grab edge/iOL?
When it came to our pick there were 2 prospects I wanted. I tried to make a trade with several different teams to get the player, including all of next years draft and they would not do it.
For which two?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:57 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:08 pm

For which two?

I do so many every day so I'm not positive who it was. I think Fuaga dropped to me and JPJ was there too. Before I picked Fuaga I started trying to get someone right below me to do a trade so I could get JPJ also. I tried so many offers that I went into I don't care mode and offered all of 2025 and it was declined. Probably would have started on 2026 but profootballnetwork doesnt do but one year extra.

These sims algo's have the bias of who ever loads the prospects. It's getting very hard to have your first pick allow you to get your second pick and so on. Usually the sims I post are where I'm atleast halfway satisfied with most of my picks. One other thing, out of all the sims I've done I don't think I'm ever offered a 5th in a trade unless it is way not in favor of me.

What did you mean by gravedigging?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:28 am What did you mean by gravedigging?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I think Cooper is moving to safety and Whitehead’s signing probably takes him off our radar.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:34 pm I think Cooper is moving to safety and Whitehead’s signing probably takes him off our radar.
Seconded, though I would say that Cooper's best pro fit could depend on the defense he's asked to play. If he's playing a lot of Cover-3 and 4, I think he could be an outside cornerback. But if you put him at safety, you don't have to worry about schematic fit. Just let him keep his eyes on the QB and let him play ball is what I'd do.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:39 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:34 pm I think Cooper is moving to safety and Whitehead’s signing probably takes him off our radar.
Seconded, though I would say that Cooper's best pro fit could depend on the defense he's asked to play. If he's playing a lot of Cover-3 and 4, I think he could be an outside cornerback. But if you put him at safety, you don't have to worry about schematic fit. Just let him keep his eyes on the QB and let him play ball is what I'd do.

Chess piece/Bowles
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

OK IABL, after pick 125 who is the player you are most disappointed about not being able to get?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

wow
Snake

Post by Snake »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 am OK IABL, after pick 125 who is the player you are most disappointed about not being able to get?
Probably a white cornerback
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:59 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 am OK IABL, after pick 125 who is the player you are most disappointed about not being able to get?
Probably a white cornerback

Are you internet trained white kill whitey or black internet trained kill whitey
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Are you asking what player would I be gunning for the most after our pick at #125 in the fourth round?

If so, I'd probably say Khyree Jackson, the cornerback out of Oregon. He's 6'4", 194 lb, great in run support and at the catch point, runs decent for his size, lacks elite speed but is quite explosive. He needs seasoning and the right system to unlock his potential, maybe he's a safety in the pros who knows. Plan A would be to lock him in a room with Richard Sherman film on a loop, then throw him in press and bail on gamedays and let him to maul X receivers and tight ends to death.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think we're going to trade out of our pick.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:11 pm I think we're going to trade out of our pick.
None of the teams around us are really a threat to take a QB. Who do you think is going to want to come back into the 1st?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:44 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:11 pm I think we're going to trade out of our pick.
None of the teams around us are really a threat to take a QB. Who do you think is going to want to come back into the 1st?
Seems like it happens every year. But I haven’t taken a look at the transaction sheets.

That fifth year option has value. snagging a guy at the end of the first has its perks if you hit on the pick
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

FAT CHANCE
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 pm
Are you asking what player would I be gunning for the most after our pick at #125 in the fourth round?

If so, I'd probably say Khyree Jackson, the cornerback out of Oregon. He's 6'4", 194 lb, great in run support and at the catch point, runs decent for his size, lacks elite speed but is quite explosive. He needs seasoning and the right system to unlock his potential, maybe he's a safety in the pros who knows. Plan A would be to lock him in a room with Richard Sherman film on a loop, then throw him in press and bail on gamedays and let him to maul X receivers and tight ends to death.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:44 pm

Seems like it happens every year. But I haven’t taken a look at the transaction sheets.

That fifth year option has value. snagging a guy at the end of the first has its perks if you hit on the pick
We got a 4th and a 6th for the 27th pick in 2022. That was a deal with the Jaguars for #33.

I can see it if we don’t like any of the EDGE players or iOL guys. If that’s the case I think we’d like a corner though.

I don’t know who the partner is. Doubt we want to go back too far. Nobody early 2nd is going to need a QB unless NE passed at #3. Then I could see them wanting Nix or Penix late first.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What about you @Doctor are you able to wrap your brain around that question?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Here's my final Big Board (I think) for pick #26, sorted by tiers based on my reaction to taking them and thereafter in alphabetical order by last name.

He's Gone, Ain't Happening (1-10):
- Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
- Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
- Jaylin Daniels, QB, LSU
- Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State
- Marvin Harrison Jr, WR, Ohio State
- Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
- Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
- Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
- Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama
- Caleb Williams, QB, USC

Hell Yeah, Sprint to the Podium (11-17):
- Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
- Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
- Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
- Laiatu Latu, Edge, UCLA
- Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
- Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State
- Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State

That's a Pretty Good Pick (18-21):
- Graham Barton, OL, Duke
- Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington
- Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
- Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

I Was Hoping For Better But Okay I Suppose(22-34):
- Keon Coleman, WR, FSU
- Cooper DeJean, CB/S, Iowa
- Tyler Guyton, OL, Oklahoma
- JC Latham, OT, Alabama
- Xavier Leggett, WR, South Carolina
- JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan
- Amarius Mims, OL, Georgia
- Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas
- Byron Murphy, DL, Texas
- Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois
- Michael Penix Jr, QB, Washington
- Darius Robinson, Edge, Missouri
- Brian Thomas Jr, WR, LSU

#ItsABucsLife
- Anybody else
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Latham, Murphy, and Newton would be great picks IMO. I doubt they'll all be available when we select at 26. Latham has better college tape than Wirfs had. I think he'll be dominant at the next level and should go top 20.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:21 am Latham, Murphy, and Newton would be great picks IMO. I doubt they'll all be available when we select at 26. Latham has better college tape than Wirfs had. I think he'll be dominant at the next level and should go top 20.
I hadn’t really considered interior defensive line much due to the investments already made there, but it makes some sense with Hall not quite developing and Vea aging.

Also, collapsing the interior of the pocket is kryptonite for all 3 of the starting QBs in the NFC South.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:21 am Latham, Murphy, and Newton would be great picks IMO. I doubt they'll all be available when we select at 26. Latham has better college tape than Wirfs had. I think he'll be dominant at the next level and should go top 20.
I hadn’t really considered interior defensive line much due to the investments already made there, but it makes some sense with Hall not quite developing and Vea aging.

Also, collapsing the interior of the pocket is kryptonite for all 3 of the starting QBs in the NFC South.
You can never have enough good big bodies up front. Especially ones that can rush the passer.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Many of the guys in "I Was Hoping For Better But Okay I Suppose" I view as solid prospects, but for one various reasons I question the fits. Super tall offensive tackles who we would want to play inside, interior defensive linemen when Kancey and Vea need to eat too, quarterbacks when we just paid Baker a ton of money, wide receivers after extending Evans, and so forth. If any of those guys are BPA, I could get on board the hype train, but I just wonder if perhaps we couldn't have allocated our resources differently instead of getting expensive backups or poor positional fits. Obviously more goes into roster construction than the single window into it we get in the draft; maybe we take for example Xavier Leggett because we internally have decided that Godwin is gone when he plays out his contract.

And the lines between the various tiers are blurry. Quinyon Mitchell could be in "He's Gone", for example.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:16 pm
Many of the guys in "I Was Hoping For Better But Okay I Suppose" I view as solid prospects, but for one various reasons I question the fits. Super tall offensive tackles who we would want to play inside, interior defensive linemen when Kancey and Vea need to eat too, quarterbacks when we just paid Baker a ton of money, wide receivers after extending Evans, and so forth. If any of those guys are BPA, I could get on board the hype train, but I just wonder if perhaps we couldn't have allocated our resources differently instead of getting expensive backups or poor positional fits. Obviously more goes into roster construction than the single window into it we get in the draft; maybe we take for example Xavier Leggett because we internally have decided that Godwin is gone when he plays out his contract.

And the lines between the various tiers are blurry. Quinyon Mitchell could be in "He's Gone", for example.
Okay I can understand that. I just don't think we're locked down at that many positions that we can pass super talented prospects over.

To your point about Godwin, as much as we might not want to believe it, OBP could have the same thought on Wirfs, who's playing on his 5th year option with no indication that an extension is near. And while Goedeke did improve I wouldn't exactly say he's a wall and so good that we shouldn't try to improve there. This was the worst ranked run blocking OL and one of the worst OL in general.

CK & Vea have to eat, true enough. Hall hasn't been eating a thing. And as stated DL players rotate quite frequently and our pass rush does need work.

But I get your point about how you think certain players might not be ideal relative to how the roster is currently set up.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I was in on McCarthy before anyone (check this forum). but even I'm like..."lets all chill a second"
The NFL Draft is fast approaching and Michigan Wolverines quarterback J.J. McCarthy is this year's mock draft Rocketeer. While he hasn't challenged Caleb Williams for the top spot, he has gone from a mid-to-late first rounder to what seems like a consensus top-5 pick. After leading the Wolverines to a National Championship and putting on some weight ahead of the NFL Combine, McCarthy is suddenly on the tip of every draftnik's tongue.

There was the obvious high praise from his old coach Jim Harbaugh, who also left for the NFL after winning a title at Michigan. McCarthy and Harbaugh went 27-1 together over the last two seasons and the new Los Angeles Chargers coach was very complimentary of his former signal caller.

"I think he plays quarterback the best of any quarterback in the draft," said Harbaugh, seemingly emphasizing McCarthy's command of an offense. "He's incredible. So, big market, small market. Cold weather, hot weather, it won't matter."

The hype isn't only coming from Harbaugh. In Mike Tannenbaum's latest mock draft for ESPN the former New York Jets general manager has McCarthy going No. 4 to the Arizona Cardinals, suggesting they could (and should) move on from Kyler Murray and his big contract.

I think he's a better, younger and more durable quarterback than Murray right now, and I'm not passing up this chance.

Tannenbaum then went on Get Up to further hype McCarthy and say that he's also a better quarterback than Daniel Jones right now. The Giants have the sixth pick, but it seems unlikely that McCarthy will last that long based on most mock drafts right now.

On NFL.com, Chad Reuter has the Minnesota Vikings giving up two first-round picks and a fourth-rounder to move up from No. 11 to No. 4 to take McCarthy. Meanwhile, CBS' Chris Trapasso has the Denver Broncos trading into the Cardinals' spot for the Michigan quarterback.

Bucky Brooks of NFL.com has McCarthy going third. And he's not alone. The Athletic also has McCarthy being taken by Jerod Mayo and the New England Patriots. Writer Ben Standig says the quarterback has always been this good, but the public just didn't know.

There’s no such thing as draft risers and fallers outside of a handful of injury, play-time or limited exposure scenarios. That sensation is public evaluators and media members catching up to the league’s scouting departments. This year’s prime example is McCarthy, who was deemed a mid-to-late first-round selection while leading Michigan to a national championship and a 27-1 record over the past two seasons.

While acknowledging the 21-year-old isn’t ready for Week 1 action, multiple league sources prefer his intangibles over other quarterbacks in this class. Soon we’ll see if the Patriots take the needed passer or help the overall roster. 'Everyone thinks New England will take a quarterback, but they’ve got a bad roster,' one NFL scout said. 'They have to get better talent across the offense. I think a team trades into the top five. There seems to be a lot more urgency with these teams needing quarterbacks this year.'"

At this point McCarthy has nearly reached the top of the draft board. In fact, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said yesterday that he heard executives around the league believe the Washington Commanders would take McCarthy with the second pick. All that's left is for the Chicago Bears to get caught up in the hype and take him first overall.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

still believe he doesn't deserve to be ranked among the top 5? @Grahamburn