The Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Post by MJW »

I like this draft more immediately after than the last two.

Kancey, at worst, will be a very useful interior nickel rusher. That doesn't sound like it's worth #19, until that guy gets you off the field on 3rd down. And again, I see that as worst case. I think he's a rare disruptor/chaos machine who'll consistently be among the league sack leaders for "interior" rushers.

I've been high on Mauch for months. The Ali Marpet is so strong with him. The fact he's incredibly cool is a bonus feature. The only regret is the white flag this signals for the Luke Goedeke wasted pick.

Diaby is probably a solid rotational addition and special teamer. There were a lot of guys I liked more but I think he'll contribute.

Dennis was one of the most productive interior blitzing linebackers in the country. I'm sure that's what got him on our radar. Hopefully he can contribute in 2024.

I like Durham this year much more than I liked Cade last year. In a normal TE group he's easily an 80-100 type prospect.

I don't know anything about Josh Hayes or Jose Ramirez. They both seem like special teamers to me but there are jobs to be won going forward.

I will weigh in on Palmer...I don't know if he's a complete receiver. He's scrawny and he kind of plays scrawny. Not a great route runner at this point and iffy hands. BUT, he's electric - quick, fast, and agile. Bubble Screens, jet sweeps, that kind of thing. Really exciting with the ball in his hands. GBR.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'll tell ya what, we just made sure even the shortest NFL QB will have a good field of vision against us.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Motley Crue time
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

If you told me the goal of this draft was to bolster the special teams, I'd 100% believe it.
Most hated man in America.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Still skeptical on the choice of Kancey over Smith and Harrison, but I like the Mauch pick a lot and like the Purdue TE pick. Liked what I saw on tape of Yaya. The rest of the guys…we’ll see. But if Mauch pans out like I think he can prolly as guard, that’s three solid OL starters. With Leverette/Stinnie battling for the other guard spot which isn’t bad.

And then there’s Goedeke at RT. Oh boy. That’s where the worries come in.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Feels like a classic Jason Licht draft. Seems like we got some nice players at areas of need, but there’s a decent chance none of these guys ever amount to anything good.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Just saw we signed Kurt Warner’s son as a UDFA.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:14 pm Just saw we signed Kurt Warner’s son as a UDFA.
That won't work. He has to stock cans at a grocery store before finding success.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:08 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:33 pm Stetson Bennett to Rams
SOB. @Babeinbucland congrats
💜 soooo how’s a good time to paste my sig pic onto yours :)

And tbh I told a friend of mine last night I thought he would drop no lower than 4th round because someone was gonna love his story
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

13F11B wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:35 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:14 pm Just saw we signed Kurt Warner’s son as a UDFA.
That won't work. He has to stock cans at a grocery store before finding success.
Lol
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:36 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:08 pm

SOB. @Babeinbucland congrats
Let's get it. Are you sending me your predict a score winners banner or do I just replicate your caption?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:37 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:36 pm

Let's get it. Are you sending me your predict a score winners banner or do I just replicate your caption?
Just replicate my winner banner pic - I am sure you can copy and paste it :)
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Phantom wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:48 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:33 pm Stetson Bennett to Rams
So Babe will be Rams fan huh. She had a weird crush on him for long time
Because I have a friend who works for UGA sports team and have had many convos about him. I will never be a Rams fan lol but I do hope Stetson does well.
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Done! Congrats.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:17 pm What are you guys complaining about? The draft is a complete crapshoot in rounds 4-7. Trading a late pick to move around is so irrelevant.

These day 3 guys are likely never going to do anything more than play ST. Fingers crossed that we found a diamond in the rough
This is what makes the Brady pick so freaking mind blowing
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:42 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 pm

Done! Congrats.
Thanks for honoring your word 8-)
I said what I said

Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:21 pm In 2022 the Bucs ranked 25th in scoring and scored less than 21 points in 7 of their 8 victories. And that is with the GOAT at QB. The problem with the Bucs in 2022 was not their defense. Yet the majority of the Bucs picks are on the defensive side of the ball. My 2023 projected record for the Bucs is 5 wins and 12 losses.
This is what happens when you let a DC pretend to be HC. A chunk of our free agent moves were all defense too. Bowles has severely cut the funding and assets from the struggling offense and redirected it to his defense. It’s like bizarro Gruden right now.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:59 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:21 pm In 2022 the Bucs ranked 25th in scoring and scored less than 21 points in 7 of their 8 victories. And that is with the GOAT at QB. The problem with the Bucs in 2022 was not their defense. Yet the majority of the Bucs picks are on the defensive side of the ball. My 2023 projected record for the Bucs is 5 wins and 12 losses.
This is what happens when you let a DC pretend to be HC. A chunk of our free agent moves were all defense too. Bowles has severely cut the funding and assets from the struggling offense and redirected it to his defense. It’s like bizarro Gruden right now.
So he's essentially knee capped Jason Licht from doing his job?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:01 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:59 pm

The HC certainly has a say in what happens. I don’t think Jason Licht barks orders at Bowles and tells him who he needs. This entire offseason without a doubt has Todd’s fingerprints all over it, all the more reason he needs to perform this year to keep his job.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:03 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:01 pm

The HC certainly has a say in what happens. I don’t think Jason Licht barks orders at Bowles and tells him who he needs. This entire offseason without a doubt has Todd’s fingerprints all over it, all the more reason he needs to perform this year to keep his job.
Hey, if our defense is anything like 98 through 03 I'm down for it. Not holding my breath though.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I would take the lack of a tackle in this draft to mean that Wirfs is moving to the left side, and someone (Walton? Goedeke? Hainsey?) will win the job on the right side.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:07 pm I would take the lack of a tackle in this draft to mean that Wirfs is moving to the left side, and someone (Walton? Goedeke? Hainsey?) will win the job on the right side.
Licht apparently said Goedeke would be looked at at RT.

Guess Wirfs to LT is happening.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Wirfs wouldn't have it any other way. Left side gets paid.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

I will preface this by saying I'm not the biggest Licht fan as he keeps repeating the same mistakes and same tendencies. The constant trade up for guys he "loves" when he could likely wait it out to their pick and get the same player. He even admitted in an interview he can't control himself with the trade ups and people in the draft room have to hold him back.

The immediate praise he gets for any OL pick. Some of it is fair but Goedkee was a disaster last year. The reaches from the consensus big board on more occasions than nearly any other team. Sometimes it comes off but if you go back through the Bucs drafts a number of times picking the higher guy on the big board would result in a better player.

In saying all that...this is one of his better drafts. MUCH better than last year's draft. I have already deep dived on most of the picks and compared to players taken around them.

1.19 Kancey DT - Film, production back up he can be really good. Rated around where he was taken which means this is not a Logan Hall pick where he was taken 10-30 spots ahead of where he was mocked by some. Worried about arm length but that's my only concern. A grade.

2. 48 Mauch OG - Mauler, should hopefully be a starting guard or at least highly level depth. Rated by some as one of the riskier upside OL selections given he has to move positions at the NFL level. Pass pro needs work. B-

3. 82 Diaby OLB - High risk as this pick is based mostly off athletic testing. Is the high reward there? I'm not sure. Too upright and wasted movement. VERY RAW. 4.51 40 and elite 10 split but slow off the ball. His teammates are all faster off the ball on film. This is a Licht pick where he loves the guy and the fact they didn't have a 4th round pick. Meh. Ramirez will beat him out for snaps early. If his development explodes with coaches he has a chance. C grade

5. 153 Dennis ILB - High grades, good film, questionable athlete. Reminds me of the KJ Britt stlye pick where the main thing holding him back is athletic profile. 4.6 40. Should be better than KJ Britt and the main backup. B grade.

5. 171 Durham TE- Very good hands, slow with 4.8 40 but surprisingly if you look into it his 10 yards split is around 60-70% percentile. Can get open in short areas. Solid blocker but needs work there. Run blocking grades weren't that great. I personally would've gone for a more athletic TE in this spot for a change up to Otton who is not that athletic himself. But I'm confident we at least got a solid backup TE. You take that in the 5th. B grade

6. Hayes 181 DB - This pick nearly ruined the draft mainly due to the fact the Bucs are desperate for a nickel/DB depth. They took 1 swing at it and....it was THIS guy??? Come on man. There were better DB's around this pick. This guy wasn't rated by 100's of different draft watchers and sites. Licht out of the box pick so ppl can heap praise on him if there is a miracle and it works out. D grade

6. Palmer 191 WR - Speed and more speed. Not much more to him besides that from I can see but he was product and runs 4.33. Happy to take the chance here. Rated higher on most boards than 191. Value. Interesting the Saints traded up immediately once they saw us pick Palmer. I wonder if they wanted him? They took AT Perry after who was good value also. A- grade

6. Ramirez 196 OLB
- My favourite pick of the draft from a film/value standpoint. Shaq Barrett type with the way he wins. Technician that flies off the snap. Brett Kollman who I highly respect from a DL perspective rated this guy on the edge of his tier 2 edge guys and said he has potential to be a 10 sack guy. A+ grade

I am pretending they drafted UDFA pickup Tucker/Banks who had mid round draft grades instead of Hayes and the Diaby pick was swapped with Ramirez who is a better player and prospect. That turns it from a C+ or B- to B+.

Overall grade - B+
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

The one thing I’m willing to give Goedeke is he wasn’t supposed to play last year and was thrown in the fire. Licht likes taking offensive lineman that develop on the bench as rookies. Cappa and Hainsey fit this mold, and Goedeke was supposed to sit as well but the rush of injuries forced us to throw him to the wolves.

The question is, can he get his confidence back in year two after a disastrous rookie season where he nearly got the GOAT killed?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:12 am The one thing I’m willing to give Goedeke is he wasn’t supposed to play last year and was thrown in the fire. Licht likes taking offensive lineman that develop on the bench as rookies. Cappa and Hainsey fit this mold, and Goedeke was supposed to sit as well but the rush of injuries forced us to throw him to the wolves.

The question is, can he get his confidence back in year two after a disastrous rookie season where he nearly got the GOAT killed?
They all were thrown into the fire and they all know (now even moreso) the things they needed to work on in the offseason. Consider this, of all the prospect picks we study (or they study) the o-line already had the most players under contract (right or wrong - still a fact).
Every pick I considered was all predicated on moving down with our pick. When that didnt happen you basically limit your options and are at the mercy of who's left that we might want and the positioning of our draft picks fed the the other teams most all that might have ended up on our team.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Overall the draft whelmed me. Had no idea Kancey would even be on our radar, but seems like a good player if we can scheme him right. We’ll see what Todd can do for him. Would’ve liked Nolan Smith or Anton Harrison here.

Mauch is my favorite pick in our draft and will take one of the Guard spots. Hopefully Hainsey can man the other and Stinnie/Leverett can provide depth. I’ll give Goedeke the benefit of the doubt to play RT this upcoming year as it was his college position and played well there week 18. Wirfs to the left side makes sense, IF he struggles we just move him back to the right next year.

Yaya (ding dong! For you Will Ferrell fans out there), looks to be a good rotation edge and gives up some depth. Likely Shaq’s last year here we needed to add some depth. Let’s hope JTS takes a step forward and Nelson can be steady for us. Rameriz is an interesting pick for depth/special teams. I like the upside that late in the draft.

The LB is a bit small, but needed some depth there.

Durham should make a fine TE2 and regulate Ko Kieft to blocking only.

The DB pick up as a head scratcher. I would’ve preferred to take a shot at the Boise Safety there instead.

Palmer adds something different to the WR room.

All in all I’d give this draft a B.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Once again I come away underwhelmed by the draft. The only guy I really, really liked that Licht has chosen was Mike Evans. Other than that I have been guardedly cautious about his picks to down right hostile to them. Some of his UDFA signing have been solid for what they were, but at least he did not take a kicker this year.

My drat grade is a C- unless our first pick becomes a pro bowler.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

For what it's worth, PFF gave us an A- and NFL.com gave us an A.

I love our first two picks. Diaby was a bit of a reach but he's got a ton of upside. This is where we should've drafted JTS btw instead of using the 32 overall on him.

The rest are just crapshoots, special teams fodder, and potential depth. Though Palmer's deep speed is intriguing.

Licht didn't do anything retarded this year so by that alone he gets a tip of the cap from me.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:50 am For what it's worth, PFF gave us an A- and NFL.com gave us an A.

I love our first two picks. Diaby was a bit of a reach but he's got a ton of upside. This is where we should've drafted JTS btw instead of using the 32 overall on him.

The rest are just crapshoots, special teams fodder, and potential depth. Though Palmer's deep speed is intriguing.

Licht didn't do anything retarded this year so by that alone he gets a tip of the cap from me.
Yeah, just posted a thread for outside draft rankings so folks can post them and read them more easily. I think I am just skeptical of anything Licht does based on the amount of times he has taken a Kicker.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:50 am For what it's worth, PFF gave us an A- and NFL.com gave us an A.

Hard to take ratings seriously since we hit high marks for drafting Tyron-Shoyinka a couple years ago and, well, here we are already looking for a replacement. But I think we hit the right areas…just have to hope they pan out. The potential is there…now it’s about coaching and execution…the coaching part being the concern.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I looked at this draft closer. This is Licht/Bowles trying to save their jobs.

1 thing you hope to find in a draft is upside. Where do these players have room to grow and develop? How can we mold them? How high is the ceiling?

Licht/Bowles know they don't have time to think long term and develop young players. So what did they do? They drafted veteran-ish players who in theory should be more mature.

4 of the 8 players we took will be 24 or older when the season starts. Josh Hayes apparently will turn 25 during the year. 2 others will be 23. That is no coincidence. But as a consequence they may already be close to being a finished product. And unless you're getting a hidden gem, what you see is usually what you get.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Board: it takes 3+ years to really evaluate a draft class

Also Board: the last two classes were all busts
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:46 am Board: it takes 3+ years to really evaluate a draft class

Oddly, both could be true.

It takes a full three years to evaluate a player (thus draft class). The one exception, is busts are usually VERY obvious quickly. However, I am not ready to say that the last two classes are busts. My overarching take is Licht does weird shit in the draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:46 am Board: it takes 3+ years to really evaluate a draft class

Reality: It's a progressive process to evaluate a draft class. You really don't need 3+ years to know whether or not it's there for a guy. There will usually be signs, indicators, flashes. Then comes the consistency.

Let's take the 2021 class.

JTS somehow looked worse his sophomore than he did his rookie year. The only thing that changed was he was given a starting job his sophomore year.

Trask: See any other thread.

Hainsey was meh. People seem to think he'll fair better at G but no one knows for sure.

Britt doesn't get on the field unless its ST.

Darden, Wilcox, and Stuard are no longer here.

So what you're counting on, by your logic is 1 of the 2 happening. 1. The light comes on for all of JTS, Trask, Hainsey, Britt and we're preparing to enter negotiations for a 2nd contract for them. Or 2. 2023 is much of the same and tells us nothing most of us don't already know.

2022 class now:

Hall was not good at all. Very inconsistent. Looked lost at times.

Goedeke lost his starting job, one he probably shouldn't have had in the 1st place. But lost it nonetheless.

White supplanted Fournette as starting back. That said the numbers don't wow you. 480 yards on the ground, 3.7 yards per carry 3 total TDs. He'll need to do more but maybe there's something to work with.

Otton supplanted Brate and just like White the numbers don't wow you. 390 yards, 9.3 yards per catch, 2 TDs. He'll need to do more.

Camarda had the best season of our picks. The Punter. #CrownLicht

McCollum was a disaster when he was healthy.

Ko had a decent year blocking but he's never going to offer much more than that.

Anthony didn't make it to week 1.

So the 2022 class looks to be much more promising than the 2021 class, unless the 4 players I mention all have breakout type years. That said the 3 year time line is made up fan talk to buy time.