MLB 23

Buc2

Re: MLB 23

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:58 am 32 games over .500 and just 3 behind Baltimore. We start a series with them on Thursday.
It's almost unreal to say a team is 32 games over .500 but not leading their division.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

33 games over now
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

FYI Rays-Orioles game is on Fox. 10x better than Ballys junk
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Rays win Rays win Rays win!!!

One game behind Baltimore
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Baltimore has lost 4 of 5. Rays the total opposite. We are peaking at the right time.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I'm not saying anything that might jinx this.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:55 am I'm not saying anything that might jinx this.
Good idea
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Rays up 7-1. Eflin rolling, 7 innings, 1 hit, I run, 0 walks, 82 pitches. So what does Cash do? Pull him for a reliever to start the 8th. 1st 2 hitters, walk & single.

Cash will forever hold this team back from reaching their full potential.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Thankfully the pen shuts it down.

Rays now back tied for 1st place in the AL East & in the AL.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Tyler Glasnow is pitching tomorrow. Baltimore still lead the division by percentage.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:33 pm Tyler Glasnow is pitching tomorrow. Baltimore still lead the division by percentage.
Fuck Baltimore.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Damn it @Buc2
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:44 am Damn it @Buc2
Who knew the Orioles players read this place?
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

HUUUUUUJAH news. Rays getting new stadium in St. Pete

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/384 ... petersburg
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

acmillis wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:39 am HUUUUUUJAH news. Rays getting new stadium in St. Pete

Domed? I prefer retractable roof but I’ll wait to see the final design of the stadium
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:39 am HUUUUUUJAH news. Rays getting new stadium in St. Pete

Amazing news! Not my favorite of the 4 proposals put out a few months, but I'm glad Ken Welch was committed to keeping the team in St Pete.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I am happy beyond belief the Rays aren't packing up and leaving but why? Just why are we doing the same thing again and basically building a new Tropicana Field across the street from the old one? We've had 25 years to know it doesn't work in St. Pete and they're gonna do it anyway. Like make no mistake this might be the most excited I have ever been but I am utterly terrified that nothing is going to change about the way the team is run. We're gonna keep hitching entire seasons to hoping and praying dudes who have had Tommy John don't blow their arm out again, we're gonna have guys for like 2 years maximum no matter how good or bad they are and a $75 million payroll and 18,000 on a Tuesday would be a watershed moment.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:23 am I am happy beyond belief the Rays aren't packing up and leaving but why? Just why are we doing the same thing again and basically building a new Tropicana Field across the street from the old one? We've had 25 years to know it doesn't work in St. Pete and they're gonna do it anyway. Like make no mistake this might be the most excited I have ever been but I am utterly terrified that nothing is going to change about the way the team is run. We're gonna keep hitching entire seasons to hoping and praying dudes who have had Tommy John don't blow their arm out again, we're gonna have guys for like 2 years maximum no matter how good or bad they are and a $75 million payroll and 18,000 on a Tuesday would be a watershed moment.
I don't follow.

Seems the only similarities to this new stadium and the Trop will be that it has a roof over it and it's in Downtown St Pete. That's it. 18k on a Tuesday will be a huge improvement. The Rays now have nights where they don't hit 10k in attendance. Plus this project calls for a lot more amenities, entertainment, housing and activities around the stadium than the trop has. That's vital in keeping people around the stadium and in tune with the team.

I honestly love the Rays formula. Baseball is different than say the NFL or NBA in that the players who do hit FA are almost always much older. The Rays don't pay top dollar for guys who are in their early 30s and on a decline. Keep the payroll where it is, continue drafting, developing and trading well. The stadium will just give them a little more to work with.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:00 am
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:23 am I am happy beyond belief the Rays aren't packing up and leaving but why? Just why are we doing the same thing again and basically building a new Tropicana Field across the street from the old one? We've had 25 years to know it doesn't work in St. Pete and they're gonna do it anyway. Like make no mistake this might be the most excited I have ever been but I am utterly terrified that nothing is going to change about the way the team is run. We're gonna keep hitching entire seasons to hoping and praying dudes who have had Tommy John don't blow their arm out again, we're gonna have guys for like 2 years maximum no matter how good or bad they are and a $75 million payroll and 18,000 on a Tuesday would be a watershed moment.
I don't follow.

Seems the only similarities to this new stadium and the Trop will be that it has a roof over it and it's in Downtown St Pete. That's it. 18k on a Tuesday will be a huge improvement. The Rays now have nights where they don't hit 10k in attendance. Plus this project calls for a lot more amenities, entertainment, housing and activities around the stadium than the trop has. That's vital in keeping people around the stadium and in tune with the team.

I honestly love the Rays formula. Baseball is different than say the NFL or NBA in that the players who do hit FA are almost always much older. The Rays don't pay top dollar for guys who are in their early 30s and on a decline. Keep the payroll where it is, continue drafting, developing and trading well. The stadium will just give them a little more to work with.
What I mean is a new stadium is great but it's not going to fix the location issue and thus the attendance issue. Maybe they'll enjoy a bump because of the brand new park at first but the problem is St. Pete does not have the corporate/business support to make this thing work and it's about as built up as it can be in terms of residency. There's water on every side and nowhere else to draw from.

At what point does the whole thing bottleneck and we're just stuck seeing more of the same thing from a consistently spendthrift ownership because all they have is 7,789 on a Tuesday? You're exactly right about that 18,000. I seriously doubt a new ballpark is going to do that. They're like the most out of the way ballpark in MLB minus the Rangers and even then they're basing it off the Dallas city center while Fort Worth is already massive in it's own regard
Kress

Post by Kress »

That's essentially the same location as the Trop, right? Just moving it to the other side of the parking lot?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:51 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:00 am

I don't follow.

What I mean is a new stadium is great but it's not going to fix the location issue and thus the attendance issue. Maybe they'll enjoy a bump because of the brand new park at first but the problem is St. Pete does not have the corporate/business support to make this thing work and it's about as built up as it can be in terms of residency. There's water on every side and nowhere else to draw from.

At what point does the whole thing bottleneck and we're just stuck seeing more of the same thing from a consistently spendthrift ownership because all they have is 7,789 on a Tuesday? You're exactly right about that 18,000. I seriously doubt a new ballpark is going to do that. They're like the most out of the way ballpark in MLB minus the Rangers and even then they're basing it off the Dallas city center while Fort Worth is already massive in it's own regard
Location was always overstated as being the issue. It really wasn't. Tropicana Field doesn't generate any additional revenue or sponsorship deals in the way other teams do. The Rays don't even get a huge chunk of the pie in terms of game day revenue, parking, concessions, etc. A new stadium increases that corporate/business support because now they'll have the resources to showcase to those businesses.

Additionally, DTSP has changed a ton since the Rays 1st got there. The entire Tampa Bay region has in fact. It's a lot younger, a lot busier, a lot more housing in the area. Along with the other projects this stadium deal comes along with, there will be a lot more people around the area and a lot more for them to do.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I know it’s fixed dome but I’m hoping for translucent roof
These Are The Days

Kress wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:16 pm That's essentially the same location as the Trop, right? Just moving it to the other side of the parking lot?
Basically. I live right off the Veteran's Expressway and it's still a pain in the ass for me to get to. A 33 mile haul and 40 minutes if I'm lucky. I'm glad they finally resolved this after 16 years but I was hoping for something nearby more people. Imagine if you live in a suburb like Wesley Chapel. You might as well stay home
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:50 pm
Kress wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:16 pm That's essentially the same location as the Trop, right? Just moving it to the other side of the parking lot?
Basically. I live right off the Veteran's Expressway and it's still a pain in the ass for me to get to. A 33 mile haul and 40 minutes if I'm lucky. I'm glad they finally resolved this after 16 years but I was hoping for something nearby more people. Imagine if you live in a suburb like Wesley Chapel. You might as well stay home
That argument doesn't pass the smell test at all. St Pete has roughly 262k residents as of this year. Your POV here is speaking for the roughly 60k people who live in Wesley Chapel.

That's like saying if you live in Ft Lauderdale, don't bother going to a Marlins game because it'll take you an hour with traffic.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:08 pm I know it’s fixed dome but I’m hoping for translucent roof
It's hot in St Pete. Hot as hell. Why do you want there to be an open field or translucent roof?
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:21 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:50 pm

That argument doesn't pass the smell test at all. St Pete has roughly 262k residents as of this year. Your POV here is speaking for the roughly 60k people who live in Wesley Chapel.

That's like saying if you live in Ft Lauderdale, don't bother going to a Marlins game because it'll take you an hour with traffic.
That's just an example of a community off the top of my head that would've had like half an hour shaved off its drive time had the Rays settled in Tampa. When you account for other communities like Lutz, Brandon, Land O' Lakes, Trinity, Riverview, Gibsonton, Tampa Palms, New Tampa etc looking at a 40 minute drive at least that's gotta be pretty close to the size of Fort Lauderdale not going to see the Marlins because of that hour of traffic. God knows it is an hour sometimes. There's only three rules when you build a stadium. Location, location, location. But what's done is done and I'm glad the Rays are staying. That matters the most

I will say this. If some kind of local high speed rail service across the Bay existed you'd literally solve every problem the Rays have.
Kress

Post by Kress »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:53 pm I will say this. If some kind of local high speed rail service across the Bay existed you'd literally solve every problem the Rays have.

The new Howard Frankland span is being built to accommodate light rail. I don't know the plan for where from or to, but it is.

I'm assuming the eventual plan is to connect Orlando --> Tampa --> St. Pete, but even with stops/spurs going to all the stadiums, amusement parks, and whatnot, I don't see it making that much of a difference for people you're referencing.

If you live in Wesley Chapel, do you want to drive home from work, get the family, drive back to Tampa, park, get on a train, ride to the game, then after the game, get back on the train, go to your stop, get back in your car.....

Just easier to drive it door to door.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:53 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:21 pm

That's just an example of a community off the top of my head that would've had like half an hour shaved off its drive time had the Rays settled in Tampa. When you account for other communities like Lutz, Brandon, Land O' Lakes, Trinity, Riverview, Gibsonton, Tampa Palms, New Tampa etc looking at a 40 minute drive at least that's gotta be pretty close to the size of Fort Lauderdale not going to see the Marlins because of that hour of traffic. God knows it is an hour sometimes. There's only three rules when you build a stadium. Location, location, location. But what's done is done and I'm glad the Rays are staying. That matters the most

I will say this. If some kind of local high speed rail service across the Bay existed you'd literally solve every problem the Rays have.
Well, you're kinda forgetting about Clearwater(115k), Largo (82k), Bradenton(57k), all of which are closer than the communities you listed to DTSP BUT collectively have the same, if not larger, population combined.

If the Rays went into this saying "we have to make sure we target the 12k people in Trinity and the 22k people in Lutz instead of the more than 115k people in Clearwater or.....THE 262k people in St Pete" that's a losing strategy in itself.

Your argument here has no legs to stand on. You're criticizing location because they aren't targeting communities with less than 40,000 people in favor of communities with much larger populations.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kress wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:21 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:53 pm I will say this. If some kind of local high speed rail service across the Bay existed you'd literally solve every problem the Rays have.

The new Howard Frankland span is being built to accommodate light rail. I don't know the plan for where from or to, but it is.

I'm assuming the eventual plan is to connect Orlando --> Tampa --> St. Pete, but even with stops/spurs going to all the stadiums, amusement parks, and whatnot, I don't see it making that much of a difference for people you're referencing.

If you live in Wesley Chapel, do you want to drive home from work, get the family, drive back to Tampa, park, get on a train, ride to the game, then after the game, get back on the train, go to your stop, get back in your car.....

Just easier to drive it door to door.
If you live in Wesley Chapel, maybe not. But if you live in St Pete or Largo or even Bradenton, sure it makes sense to do so.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The roof and wall will have some light in… not bad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This is so exciting for St Pete. I remember back in 09 when they were talking about doing that ridiculous cheap ass stadium down by the water with the canvas sail acting as a "retractable roof" and no outfield seats. That was a joke and a slap in the face. Stu has stepped up big time here and this deal will be great for the future of the city.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:13 am

This is so exciting for St Pete. I remember back in 09 when they were talking about doing that ridiculous cheap ass stadium down by the water with the canvas sail acting as a "retractable roof" and no outfield seats. That was a joke and a slap in the face. Stu has stepped up big time here and this deal will be great for the future of the city.
The umbrella thing? I remember lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:23 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:13 am

The umbrella thing? I remember lol
Yep that lol. People who get paid great sums of money thought that was a good idea. Unbelievable.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Good enough for me, Bootz
Transparent, mobile walls will line exterior-facing businesses to “bring the outside in.” The unique roof design also captures the essence of a “Pavilion” – a keystone of Florida-style architecture known for its flexibility.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The new renderings are AMAZING!