Thank God they hung onto the 2nd game
Phantom

Re: MLB 23

Post by Phantom »

24 games over 500. Sweet!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I'll take winning every series 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 all day every day. The Rays are 13-5-1 in the series they have played to date. Do that throughout the year and they'll be tough, if not impossible, to knock out of 1st place in the division.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:18 am I'll take winning every series 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 all day every day. The Rays are 13-5-1 in the series they have played to date. Do that throughout the year and they'll be tough, if not impossible, to knock out of 1st place in the division.
That's really what it's all about. Sweeps are nice but unrealistic in a 162 game season. Losses will come. But you win series, that makes it impossible for teams to surpass you. 7-1 now vs Boston on the year.

That said these Rays are so damn good. We're in June and they haven't even had a 3 game losing streak yet.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

25 over .500 and back to kicking ass.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:52 pm 25 over .500 and back to kicking ass.
And turned the Jays Twins 3-game losing skid into a 4-game losing skid. I like it!

I realized I said Jays when I meant Twins. Oops.
Last edited by Buc2 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Not to jump ahead, but I can't wait for this series against the Rangers. The two best teams in baseball, squaring off.

I haven't looked, but shouldn't we line up with Glasnow, Bradley, McClanahan? Or is Glasnow going to throw #3 against the Twinkies?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kress wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 am Not to jump ahead, but I can't wait for this series against the Rangers. The two best teams in baseball, squaring off.

I haven't looked, but shouldn't we line up with Glasnow, Bradley, McClanahan? Or is Glasnow going to throw #3 against the Twinkies?
I think Glasnow is pitching tomorrow. He pitched one of the 2 games Saturday with the other being a "bullpen" game. Bradley threw Sunday so he should be starting Friday night vs Texas with McClanahan and Eflin to follow.

I'm glad our 2 best pitchers are going against this Texas lineup to finish the series. Even if Bradley struggles Friday we have a solid chance at a series win.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I've had enough of this bullpen. Get a closer and middle reliever.
These Are The Days

And thank God Randy is like historically clutch in these kinds of situations. Make no mistake this team is gonna win 100 games if they keep playing like this the full 162. But it takes plays of the year like we saw from Walls to salvage the struggles of our relief pitching. The Twins offense can't score with a fistful of 50's on Nebraska Ave and we nearly let them back in.

God please just get an actual closer and a middle relief guy. You can get away with this all day in June. I'm wary of October. Don't leave it to chance
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Meh, the twins were due for a run in this series. We shut them out last night. It took them until the 9th inning of game 2 to get their 1st run in this series. I'm not too worried about that. Essentially you're chastising the pen for not being perfect.

Glad we got a win while only scoring 2 runs. We're better than that.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:08 pm Meh, the twins were due for a run in this series. We shut them out last night. It took them until the 9th inning of game 2 to get their 1st run in this series. I'm not too worried about that. Essentially you're chastising the pen for not being perfect.

Glad we got a win while only scoring 2 runs. We're better than that.
It's the nature of this board, for some reason. We need to find something to bitch about.

Never mind that this is the best team in baseball, never mind yesterday's shutout, and never mind that a literal bullpen day was a combined 3-hitter that got all the way to the 9th before they allowed a single run. That damn bullpen gave up the booty, so it will obviously be the death of us and must be the subject of much bitching. Personally, I think somebody needs to be fired.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Today was a good day…

Up next: Rangers!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I hope the better bullpen results the past few games are just a result of playing bad teams. I guess we’re about to find out over this weekend.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:59 pm I hope the better bullpen results the past few games are just a result of playing bad teams. I guess we’re about to find out over this weekend.
If the playoffs starred today, the Twins would be a division winner and playing game 1 in the divisional series.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:18 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:59 pm I hope the better bullpen results the past few games are just a result of playing bad teams. I guess we’re about to find out over this weekend.
If the playoffs starred today, the Twins would be a division winner and playing game 1 in the divisional series.

Yeah, they'd be the division winner - with a 31-32 losing record. They're still a so-so team. For that matter, them winning the division would be like the Bucs winning the South last year. Sure, the Bucs won, but they did it with a losing record, and deep down we all knew they were going to get steamrolled.
These Are The Days

You all have to forgive me. After about 1/3 of the season I'm just not impressed with the bullpen while the rest of the Rays consistency has me convinced they have their best chance (probably ever) to win it. Though it's only really occasional, I just don't want to see bad days in October. It's insane to think the Rays should probably be at about 50 wins right now

And Parades sends one into orbit for a 4-1 lead against the other best team in baseball.... This is special
Kress

Post by Kress »

These Are The Days wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 pm You all have to forgive me. After about 1/3 of the season I'm just not impressed with the bullpen while the rest of the Rays consistency has me convinced they have their best chance (probably ever) to win it. Though it's only really occasional, I just don't want to see bad days in October. It's insane to think the Rays should probably be at about 50 wins right now

And Parades sends one into orbit for a 4-1 lead against the other best team in baseball.... This is special

I'm not impressed with them, either, but they are very apparently getting the job done.

Champagne problems.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 pm You all have to forgive me. After about 1/3 of the season I'm just not impressed with the bullpen while the rest of the Rays consistency has me convinced they have their best chance (probably ever) to win it. Though it's only really occasional, I just don't want to see bad days in October. It's insane to think the Rays should probably be at about 50 wins right now

Perfect pen? No. Saw a graphic during the game last night. The team is 30-6 at home now. 2 blown leads. Not sure of how many blown leads on the road. But over the course of a 162 game, 6-7 month season, you're gonna blow some leads. There are gonna be games you lose that you should've won. Games you win that you shouldn't lost.

That's the nature of professional baseball. The season is way too long to get caught up in 3-4 games that we "should've" won. You win series or don't get swept, you're gonna wind up in pretty good shape. Right now it's good enough for this team to be 28 games over .500 and have no losing streak longer than 2 games. Plus they throttled the 2nd best team in baseball and made it look easy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

And speaking of which, Texas' offense isn't really built to beat up this Rays pitching & defense. The Rangers thrive off long innings, getting on base, singling and doubling their runs in with occasional HRs. Quite fittingly the Rangers only had 3 hits last night and all 3 were HRs. The Rays defense too away a number of hits.

The only chance they really have to win is like most teams who have beaten the Rays. Catch the offense on a cold day. The Rays score 4 or more, it's most likely over for the opponent.
These Are The Days

I know I know. Champagne problems and all. But can we all at least concede that Beeks needs to go?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It’s only 5th inning, R E L A X
These Are The Days

Phantom wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:33 pm It’s only 5th inning, R E L A X
No
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

See?
These Are The Days

Phantom wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:53 pmSee?
Lol I think that joke got over your head. I intentionally did it up 4-0 like a day later. And Franco goes yard. Young man is special
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Took 2 out of 3 Texas. Is there any doubt left as to who the best team in baseball is?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:18 pm Took 2 out of 3 Texas. Is there any doubt left as to who the best team in baseball is?
This is what I was saying a couple days ago. They just need to keep winning every series and they’ll most likely win the division. Do the same in the playoffs and they’ll be world champions.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:23 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:18 pm Took 2 out of 3 Texas. Is there any doubt left as to who the best team in baseball is?
This is what I was saying a couple days ago. They just need to keep winning every series and they’ll most likely win the division. Do the same in the playoffs and they’ll be world champions.
They’ll most likely win 105+ games

This is the best Rays team ever in our lifetime. 3 times better than 2008 Rays
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:43 pm
Buc2 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:23 pm

The 08 Rays earned their success off of being opportunistic. Timely hitting, great pitching, elite defense. A lot of come from behind victories and capitalizing on mistakes. But they could be overmatched at any time and struggled offensively.

These Rays are simply dominant. They can put up runs in a hurry. The pitching is great. Defense still elite. Biggest difference between this team and the 08 team is they get run production all over the lineup. HRs don’t tell the entire story, but the 08 team had 7 guys finish with double digit HRs. This team already has 6 guys with double digit HRs and Wander Franco or Brandon Lowe aren’t in that group. We aren’t even at the All Star break yet. This team is probably more like 10 times better than the 08 squad.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I watched the highlights of yesterday's game. These Rays are a tough team to beat. Their first 4 runs was all just base hits and good base running. The Rangers claw back to make it a 1 run game. Then, BAM! 3 run homer and the Rangers find themselves down 4 runs again. That's got to be frustrating and demoralizing for teams that have to play them.
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:07 am I watched the highlights of yesterday's game. These Rays are a tough team to beat. Their first 4 runs was all just base hits and good base running. The Rangers claw back to make it a 1 run game. Then, BAM! 3 run homer and the Rangers find themselves down 4 runs again. That's got to be frustrating and demoralizing for teams that have to play them.

Even better was McClanahan. He has a rough inning, giving up a mess of hits - hard hits, at that - and several runs. So, how does he recover? He slams the door on them by sitting down the next 15 in a row.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kress wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:47 pm
Buc2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:07 am I watched the highlights of yesterday's game. These Rays are a tough team to beat. Their first 4 runs was all just base hits and good base running. The Rangers claw back to make it a 1 run game. Then, BAM! 3 run homer and the Rangers find themselves down 4 runs again. That's got to be frustrating and demoralizing for teams that have to play them.

Even better was McClanahan. He has a rough inning, giving up a mess of hits - hard hits, at that - and several runs. So, how does he recover? He slams the door on them by sitting down the next 15 in a row.
On his worst day he's still better than most pitchers.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:10 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:43 pm

The 08 Rays earned their success off of being opportunistic. Timely hitting, great pitching, elite defense. A lot of come from behind victories and capitalizing on mistakes. But they could be overmatched at any time and struggled offensively.

These Rays are simply dominant. They can put up runs in a hurry. The pitching is great. Defense still elite. Biggest difference between this team and the 08 team is they get run production all over the lineup. HRs don’t tell the entire story, but the 08 team had 7 guys finish with double digit HRs. This team already has 6 guys with double digit HRs and Wander Franco or Brandon Lowe aren’t in that group. We aren’t even at the All Star break yet. This team is probably more like 10 times better than the 08 squad.
Seemed like they had like 2 dozen walk offs that year. I gotta hand it to them, for a team that could strike out a lot, their situational hitting was fantastic. It's a shame it didn't carry over to 2009 (too bad they missed the playoffs entirely) and 2010 because they'd have probably at least gotten to the ALCS both years. It's crazy to think the 2023 Rays are probably even more consistent. I swear if we had Howell, Balfour and Bradford on this team we'd win 110.

It's entirely possible they'll win #50 tomorrow night
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Is Kevin Cash better than Joe Maddon? I think so
In eight seasons on the job, Cash, 45, has led the Rays to a 640-554 record, a .536 winning percentage that is the best of the five Tampa Bay managers and — after starting with three losing seasons — four consecutive playoff berths, including a run to the 2020 World Series.

He is the second-longest tenured manager with his current team in the majors, behind good friend Terry Francona, who between age (64 in April) and health issues seems likely to soon retire in Cleveland.

More topically, when Cash completes this season, he will have been on the job as long as Maddon, whose tenure at one time seemed unlikely to be matched. Cash has the better record; both made four trips to the postseason and won two Manager of the Year awards.

“That’s pretty cool company," Cash said.

Despite being only 36 and never managing a game at any level when he got hired, Cash said he was confident in his own ability.

He recognized the promise of the situation he was walking into, taking over a team that had made the playoffs four times in six years before a 2014 dropoff. He had a commitment from ownership and management to get back to competing with the chance to grow along with the team. And he got a five-year contract to do so.