MLB 23

Deja Entendu

Re: MLB 23

Post by Deja Entendu »

Kress

Post by Kress »

On the plus side, this is the best timing for a skid and rash of minor bumps/bruises like this. Take the AS break, regroup, then come back out ready to roll.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Might be the best and most fragile team in baseball.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah!

What happened?
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I can't remember the last time the Rays ever managed 3 straight sellouts and all it took was reducing capacity to 25,000
These Are The Days

Holy shit did the Rays SERIOUSLY just draft another 2 shortstops? I have got to learn to stop getting my hopes up on draft day
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Randy did a lot better in this HR derby than I thought he would.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

35 home runs!!! 6 short to tie the record

Randy to final!!!! Congratulations
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Two players from AL East..
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

D’oh!!

He is the only Ray to make the Finals!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Randy did very well. That was an exciting final. Congrats Vlad Jr. It's cool that he won the derby just like his pops.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Congrats to Yanny for his solo homer in last nights All Star game. Pretty low scoring affair over all.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Yandy likely would've won MVP had the AL been able to hang on and win.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The Rays are stumbling right now. We knew it would happen. This pen looks worn out. Bats are cold as well. Gotta turn it around.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Hold up. So this dude for the Angels is a starting pitcher and sports a sub 4 ERA all the while leading the Majors in HRs hit??
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:56 am Hold up. So this dude for the Angels is a starting pitcher and sports a sub 4 ERA all the while leading the Majors in HRs hit??
He gonna get $50M/year?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Isn't this guy the face of baseball right now?

Like Yankees trading for A rod big?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Glasnow is pitching his best baseball now. Even better than McClanahan.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Arizona and Baltimore in for Ohtani sweepstakes
These Are The Days

I'm not worried about the offense. I'd rather them slump now than see a redux of what happened vs Cleveland. But the Rays need at least 2 new arms in the bullpen. Adam is so streaky it scares me. If I ever see Beeks again I'm going to scream. Poche scares me to death sometimes but gets the job done. Fairbanks and Armstrong are a godsend. I'm starting to wonder if Bradley coming out of the pen wouldn't be useful because when he's on, he's almost untouchable. I would trust him for an inning in a playoff game
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:06 am I'm not worried about the offense. I'd rather them slump now than see a redux of what happened vs Cleveland. But the Rays need at least 2 new arms in the bullpen. Adam is so streaky it scares me. If I ever see Beeks again I'm going to scream. Poche scares me to death sometimes but gets the job done. Fairbanks and Armstrong are a godsend. I'm starting to wonder if Bradley coming out of the pen wouldn't be useful because when he's on, he's almost untouchable. I would trust him for an inning in a playoff game
What the pen needs is more days like yesterday. Cash left Glasnow the hell alone and let him go 7 innings. This happens every single season under Cash. By the time the end of summer and the playoffs come the pen is taxed. The only exception was the Covid year where they had 3-4 months off and only played a 60 game season. No mistake to me that the team went to the WS.

That said, Kittredge should be back soon. Beeks was optioned to the minors in the beginning of the month. I think allowing starters to go deeper into the game is the best medicine. It's mid summer. Arms are stretched out by now and ready to go. No reason Cash should be pulling guys who give up 3 runs over 4 innings after 50 pitches.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:06 am I'm not worried about the offense. I'd rather them slump now than see a redux of what happened vs Cleveland. But the Rays need at least 2 new arms in the bullpen. Adam is so streaky it scares me. If I ever see Beeks again I'm going to scream. Poche scares me to death sometimes but gets the job done. Fairbanks and Armstrong are a godsend. I'm starting to wonder if Bradley coming out of the pen wouldn't be useful because when he's on, he's almost untouchable. I would trust him for an inning in a playoff game
What the pen needs is more days like yesterday. Cash left Glasnow the hell alone and let him go 7 innings. This happens every single season under Cash. By the time the end of summer and the playoffs come the pen is taxed. The only exception was the Covid year where they had 3-4 months off and only played a 60 game season. No mistake to me that the team went to the WS.

That said, Kittredge should be back soon. Beeks was optioned to the minors in the beginning of the month. I think allowing starters to go deeper into the game is the best medicine. It's mid summer. Arms are stretched out by now and ready to go. No reason Cash should be pulling guys who give up 3 runs over 4 innings after 50 pitches.
Rumor has it we're looking at Lance Lynn. I'm gonna contain the outrage until the TDL is over and see what happens before I know for sure a 36 year old with a 6 ERA is not our big solution. We've never had a team like this and this is not the year for shoestring budgets and pining over how good the farm team is.

Edit: for context I'm not even asking for Ohtani that's insane..But something like Stroman and a legitimately good reliever would send me over the moon. If we're gonna get a fossil and be told "But look how we tried" it's probably going to break whatever trust I still have in this ownership group in being serious about winning a title. I sat there without complaint from 2014 to 2019 while they fielded a new team every year and told us they were serious. They can go all in on one TDL and act like a big boy for once in their life
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Rumor has it we're looking at Lance Lynn. I'm gonna contain the outrage until the TDL is over and see what happens before I know for sure a 36 year old with a 6 ERA is not our big solution. We've never had a team like this and this is not the year for shoestring budgets and pining over how good the farm team is.

Edit: for context I'm not even asking for Ohtani that's insane..But something like Stroman and a legitimately good reliever would send me over the moon. If we're gonna get a fossil and be told "But look how we tried" it's probably going to break whatever trust I still have in this ownership group in being serious about winning a title. I sat there without complaint from 2014 to 2019 while they fielded a new team every year and told us they were serious. They can go all in on one TDL and act like a big boy for once in their life
Well lucky for you, Lynn went to LA today along with Joe Kelly from the White Sox.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Thanks god!! Astros lost!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:18 pm Thanks god!! Astros lost!
Who did they lose to?
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:15 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm

Well lucky for you, Lynn went to LA today along with Joe Kelly from the White Sox.
If I could have passed out from that sigh of relief I would have. It's not that the Rays don't make trades. They probably do more to improve their team on a regular basis than anyone. Had so many pitchers not been hurt, it's possible a move would not have been necessary right now. But that's not what happened. Oprah got on stage and started handing out Tommy John surgeries. It's catching up to them after a historic start and their success is up to them. This team will go as far as its imagination, willpower, aptitude and talent. I'm not even asking for a spending spree. Just buy the goddamn nail gun instead of a cheap hammer and a pack nails.

This deadline is too important to approach with caution. They have nothing to lose. I am cautiously optimistic going forward but it's cautious because the Rays approach every TDL like a school boy fumbling to get his girlfriend's bra off for the first time
These Are The Days

Rays got Aaron Civale. Thank you sweet Jesus. That is a solid get. Now get someone else for the bullpen. For the love of God.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:54 pm Rays got Aaron Civale. Thank you sweet Jesus. That is a solid get. Now get someone else for the bullpen. For the love of God.
I'm glad we added to the rotation. Tells me the Rays braintrust knows they can't continue taxing this bullpen night after night.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:03 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:54 pm Rays got Aaron Civale. Thank you sweet Jesus. That is a solid get. Now get someone else for the bullpen. For the love of God.
I'm glad we added to the rotation. Tells me the Rays braintrust knows they can't continue taxing this bullpen night after night.
Preach
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

And speaking of the rotation, Glasnow is pitching as well as any starting pitcher in baseball right now. His stuff has been there all season but now he's pitching with a ton of confidence. Getting more swings and misses and a lot more ground ball outs. He mowed through the Yankees like they weren't even there.
These Are The Days

If these games vs NYY weren't so important I'd like to see Randy get a game off (maybe even a few) once the Rays get to Detroit. He's been swinging like it's the derby since he competed in it and he needs to just reset. His swing isn't broken as much as he's completing an orbit around the earth every time he moves his arms.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Why does the derby mess people up so badly? You spend years and years and years working on and tweaking the motion to perfection, then a single weekend of messing around f's it all up? I would think muscle memory would make it easy to correct that.

Or is it that it gets in the alpha-athlete's head? He starts to fancy himself something he has never been, so he tries to play a role he has no business playing?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It's all mental.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Randy's back. That was a bomb
These Are The Days

And up 2-0 to the Yanks in this 3rd game. They look to be turning the corner. Not a moment too soon because July was about as close to terrible as it can get. A few good weeks and I like their chances to lead the AL again