MLB 23

CantonJester

Re: MLB 23

Post by CantonJester »

Snake wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:57 am Bauer proven innocent.

#believeallwomen

LOL!!
No, he wasn't. :lol:
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

What I don't get about the Rays? Set aside their cheap-ass ownership who takes revenue sharing handouts hand-over-fist every year, and has no problem cashing that $30-$50 million every year in streaming / broadcasting rights. What I don't get is how they didn't uncover this career-altering news about Wander Franco with even a rudimentary background investigation before they handed him a ten year, $200m contract.

That was freakin stupid.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

CantonJester wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:27 pm What I don't get about the Rays? Set aside their cheap-ass ownership who takes revenue sharing handouts hand-over-fist every year, and has no problem cashing that $30-$50 million every year in streaming / broadcasting rights. What I don't get is how they didn't uncover this career-altering news about Wander Franco with even a rudimentary background investigation before they handed him a ten year, $200m contract.

That was freakin stupid.
I wouldn't be too worried. If he's found guilty, I'm sure there's a morals clause in his contract allowing the Rays to break it.
Don't tread on me
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:58 pm
CantonJester wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:27 pm What I don't get about the Rays? Set aside their cheap-ass ownership who takes revenue sharing handouts hand-over-fist every year, and has no problem cashing that $30-$50 million every year in streaming / broadcasting rights. What I don't get is how they didn't uncover this career-altering news about Wander Franco with even a rudimentary background investigation before they handed him a ten year, $200m contract.

That was freakin stupid.
I wouldn't be too worried. If he's found guilty, I'm sure there's a morals clause in his contract allowing the Rays to break it.
Oh no doubt. If this is real, he's looking at having his VISA revoked which would likely nullify his contract.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

How can Kershaw be amazing in the regular season nearly every year, and then terrible nearly every year in the playoffs?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Who is going to win it all?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:31 pm
You must be pissed...
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Whelp. At least Baltimore got rekt just as badly as the Rays did. It's the small things....
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

@These Are The Days looks like a change might be coming.

These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:53 am @These Are The Days looks like a change might be coming.

I'll believe it when I see it. If they could afford a $120 million payroll this should have been the year to do it when everyone realized the Rays were possibly the best team in baseball and loaded up. Otherwise I'm betting Glasnow is gonna get traded to the Reds for like their #2 pitching prospect who won't be ready in 2 years, another Matt Joyce, a #4 starter and then we'll top it off by taking 2 more shortstops with our first 2 picks the draft just like every year

Like I wish I wasn't so suffocating with pessimism here but I have never been given any reason to believe differently
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:02 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:53 am @These Are The Days looks like a change might be coming.

I'll believe it when I see it. If they could afford a $120 million payroll this should have been the year to do it when everyone realized the Rays were possibly the best team in baseball and loaded up. Otherwise I'm betting Glasnow is gonna get traded to the Reds for like their #2 pitching prospect who won't be ready in 2 years, another Matt Joyce, a #4 starter and then we'll top it off by taking 2 more shortstops with our first 2 picks the draft just like every year

Like I wish I wasn't so suffocating with pessimism here but I have never been given any reason to believe differently
Ironically, Glasnow was included in a trade like the one you're predicting he'll be the centerpiece of....He came here with Austin Meadows and Shane Baz for Chris Archer. Guaranteed that no one is complaining about that trade. Baz should be back in 2024 as a top ofnthe

This is how the Rays stay relevant. They trade guys at the peak of their value for guys they scout who are up and coming. Meadows is gone but we traded him to Detroit in return for Isaac Paredes, who hit 31 homers and 99 RBI this year plus a high draft pick in 2022.

So from just Chris Archer, the Rays got Glasnow, Meadows, Baz, Paredes, high draft pick and whoever Glasnow would next in a trade....OH not to mention, the Rays got Archer as piece of a trade for Matt Garza....The pipeline continues.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:55 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:02 pm

Ironically, Glasnow was included in a trade like the one you're predicting he'll be the centerpiece of....He came here with Austin Meadows and Shane Baz for Chris Archer. Guaranteed that no one is complaining about that trade. Baz should be back in 2024 as a top ofnthe

This is how the Rays stay relevant. They trade guys at the peak of their value for guys they scout who are up and coming. Meadows is gone but we traded him to Detroit in return for Isaac Paredes, who hit 31 homers and 99 RBI this year plus a high draft pick in 2022.

So from just Chris Archer, the Rays got Glasnow, Meadows, Baz, Paredes, high draft pick and whoever Glasnow would next in a trade....OH not to mention, the Rays got Archer as piece of a trade for Matt Garza....The pipeline continues.
And Matt Garza came with Jason Bartlett for Delmon Young. I mean I know how it works. It's kept the Rays competitive for years but they haven't done anything with it save for the COVID season where Cash hasn't completely torn through his bullpen and Randy turned into Babe Ruth. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense. I'm saying more of the same isn't doing anything to excite me or give me any more optimism. I'd like them to do both. Make the big trade and pay a guy $20 million
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:48 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:55 pm

And Matt Garza came with Jason Bartlett for Delmon Young. I mean I know how it works. It's kept the Rays competitive for years but they haven't done anything with it save for the COVID season where Cash hasn't completely torn through his bullpen and Randy turned into Babe Ruth. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense. I'm saying more of the same isn't doing anything to excite me or give me any more optimism. I'd like them to do both. Make the big trade and pay a guy $20 million
It seems like you care more about the optics than you do the actual production unless you're pining for this team to become the Mets, Yankees, or Padres. It a guy is hitting 30+ HRs or 100 RBI or winning 15-20 games why would anyone care is he's making $20mil+ or under arbitration?
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:10 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:48 pm

It seems like you care more about the optics than you do the actual production unless you're pining for this team to become the Mets, Yankees, or Padres. It a guy is hitting 30+ HRs or 100 RBI or winning 15-20 games why would anyone care is he's making $20mil+ or under arbitration?
It's not a matter of optics. I want the Rays to spend money. Either by keeping their own players for $20 million or get $20 million talent while winning trades on 3:1 splits like how they did with Archer. I have never been more excited than I am now about being a fan because of the new ballpark but after 17 years of fandom I am tired of knowing we're gonna dump someone in his prime because "he costs too much!" It's why get Nelson Cruz at like 39 instead of 26. They can keep winning trades like Archer at 3:1 but sooner or later apathy is going to win over. I argue it has for almost 10 years now because they Rays have gone through like 6 rebuilds by then. At some point they need to stop crying poor and let these Bay Area kids have heroes for their whole careers instead of dumping him as soon as he costs more than $7 million. Imagine where the Cardinals would be without Molina or the Yankees without Jeter. You aren't gonna make yourself a sustainable franchise at the gate if you keep doing that. So far we got treated to watching David Price win the World Series with Boston. That was fun right? How about Zobrist and Shields?

I understand why you're pointing to optics but I'm tired of the Wall Street bullshit. I am not saying stop it for good. But if you already have someone good, keep him and draft better than 29 shortstops every draft and trading your best players to make up for it. Or if you trade a guy 3:1 get another $20 million player. You can and will win titles that way. Stop dumping EVERY player the second you need to pay him
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It’s an American League West showdown! Go Rangers! Beat the Astros!
These Are The Days

@Bootz

Honest to God. Not trying to start shit by saying this. I think everyone's seen how Lance Lynn got rocked. Yeah. If that doesn't explain my problem with the Rays front office nothing will. If the Dodgers don't lose their mind and get him instead we'd have just watched the Rangers eating those meatballs he was tossing out. As long as it's cheap they're all over it. Another example is Blake Snell is probably gonna win a Cy Young and we get Luis Patino.

It has to stop somewhere man. I'm fine with them moving on from guys before their sell by date (see: Meadows and KK trades) but if Glasnow gets traded, wins 20 games and a Cy Young, you're gonna have a good several thousand seasons ticket holders who are way more angry about it than me.

I don't need the front office to bat .900 on every move they make. I need them to stop shitting their pants when a player costs double digits
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:04 pm @Bootz

Honest to God. Not trying to start shit by saying this. I think everyone's seen how Lance Lynn got rocked. Yeah. If that doesn't explain my problem with the Rays front office nothing will. If the Dodgers don't lose their mind and get him instead we'd have just watched the Rangers eating those meatballs he was tossing out. As long as it's cheap they're all over it. Blake Snell is probably gonna win a Cy Young and we get Luis Patino.

It has to stop somewhere man. I'm fine with them moving on from guys before their sell by date (see: Meadows and KK trades) but if Glasnow gets traded, wins 20 games and a Cy Young, you're gonna have a good several thousand seasons ticket holders who are way more angry about it than me
You don't see how you're contradicting yourself?? You're knocking the method the Rays use to get players like Glasnow yet you'd be upset if we traded away Glasnow.

By your logic we should never have traded away Chris Archer for Glasnow, Baz, and Meadows.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Kevin kiermaier was worse than me with a bat in his hands. Duck his glove, he was an automatic out.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So both Championship Series feature a 2, 4, 5, and 6 seed. The teams that finished with the 5 best records this year are all out. And they only went 1-12 between them.

Baseball is FUNNY
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:07 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:04 pm @Bootz

Honest to God. Not trying to start shit by saying this. I think everyone's seen how Lance Lynn got rocked. Yeah. If that doesn't explain my problem with the Rays front office nothing will. If the Dodgers don't lose their mind and get him instead we'd have just watched the Rangers eating those meatballs he was tossing out. As long as it's cheap they're all over it. Blake Snell is probably gonna win a Cy Young and we get Luis Patino.

It has to stop somewhere man. I'm fine with them moving on from guys before their sell by date (see: Meadows and KK trades) but if Glasnow gets traded, wins 20 games and a Cy Young, you're gonna have a good several thousand seasons ticket holders who are way more angry about it than me
You don't see how you're contradicting yourself?? You're knocking the method the Rays use to get players like Glasnow yet you'd be upset if we traded away Glasnow.

By your logic we should never have traded away Chris Archer for Glasnow, Baz, and Meadows.
I'd be upset we traded Glasnow because there's no arbitrary rule saying we have to trade him to remain competitive. You can sign him and remain competitive. You wanna pull a 3:1 trade? See if you can get someone to do something for Brandon Lowe 3:1 and keep Glasnow. Yeah it would suck but Caminero and Basabe can *probably* pick up at least half the slack. They need to develop more but I liked what I saw. That's not a trade that bothers me. But Glasnow? He's better than Archer ever was. Losing Archer didn't hurt anything more than losing Delmon Young all those years ago. How does trading Glasnow make the Rays better when 3/5 of the starting rotation is out with Tommy John? You are allowed to keep the players you acquire and still make other intelligent trades if they benefit the team. I'm not contradicting anything. You can do both things. We don't because the Rays are cheap.

The Price and Longoria trades did jack shit to make the Rays better. I have eaten enough magic beans to know I would rather just keep the guy who can win a Cy Young NOW over someone who might do it in 3 years and you know damn well he will be gone after that too. So Glasnow is that guy we got for Archer. Cool. Keep him anyway. Pay a couple of guys while making a few smart trades on the way. The Rays literally don't do that.

The only guy they ever kept around was Kevin freaking Kiermaier batting .210 and killing himself to catch fly balls and they only did it because he was cheap

Edit: this isn't just about Glasnow. I'd be pissed if we did this with Diaz, with any of the Tommy John pitchers, Franco (assuming his career isn't shot) Randy, Parades and Eflin to say a few. No one is gonna lose sleep if we trade Margot and Ramirez for 6 minor Leaguers. I'm fine if they do something like that. If you have a good player keep him and just leave it the fuck alone
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

@These Are The Days

So basically you'd be pissed if we traded away anyone that we acquired using a method that you hate in the 1st place. Got it.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:14 pm @These Are The Days

So basically you'd be pissed if we traded away anyone that we acquired using a method that you hate in the 1st place. Got it.
You're over-simplifying a bit too much big dawg. I want to watch the Rays win a World Series instead of barely making the playoffs and belted in the 1st round while we all think "Gee, Glasnow would have been nice" and meanwhile our big return is in AA ball. We might as well trade AWJ and Wirfs for magic beans because "Think of how competitive the Bucs will be!" No dude. We'd sign them and figure it out. The Rays don't. Ever

But idk dude. I'm also pretty freaking dumb and I may not be explaining this in a way you understand. That's also very possible
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Arizona did it!! It’s a miracle
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Rangers vs Diamondbacks World Series.

Raise your hand if you had that matchup.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:57 am Rangers vs Diamondbacks World Series.

► Show Spoiler
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:59 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:57 am Rangers vs Diamondbacks World Series.

► Show Spoiler
Since you hate when I do it...

Link? :D :D :D
Kress

Post by Kress »

So, the World Series happened.

Raise your hand if you watched any more than a few random at-bats here and there.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Kress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:21 am So, the World Series happened.

Raise your hand if you watched any more than a few random at-bats here and there.
Have been checking the box scores to see how Longo was doing...other than that, probably watched a total of 9 innings combined of the entire WS.
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:53 am

Have been checking the box scores to see how Longo was doing...other than that, probably watched a total of 9 innings combined of the entire WS.

I happened to be driving various times it was on, so I think I listened more on the radio than watched. But even that might have been a grand total of 5-6 innings. And, yeah, it was primarily to see what I might hear about individuals I was interested in - like Longo - not to listen to the game progress in general.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I have watched some of it because of Corey Seager. He’s really good.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Not a pitch
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Is it over?
Don't tread on me
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

They're still playing baseball?
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Phantom wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:18 am

I have watched some of it because of Corey Seager. He’s really good.
I never really paid attention to him very much...but through the playoffs he became one of my favorite players -- and I generally hate the Rangers