Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Cheb »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:55 pm
Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:36 pm

The interception to end the season was a bad look, but that's just the frosting on the cake. Taking bad sacks vs both the Eagles and Lions, and being completely unable to either see or compensate for a blitz are the real killers for me.
In the Eagles game, yes, he created sacks by holding on to the football too long. On two sacks, the defenders were untouched and Rachaad didn't wait to see if he needed to stay in or not on one and fell on his fact on the other. How were they on Baker? On Hutchinson, did you want him to intentionally ground it?
You may heard it said that sacks are a quarterback stat, and while I wouldn't completely agree I would say there's alot of truth to that statement.

Good quarterbacks know the protection, where it's weak, and who to throw to hot if/when that protection breaks down. We had front row seats to the Tom Brady experience for the last few years, and he was masterful at this. In both playoffs games, Baker got his goose cooked by holding onto the ball too long as well as being surprised by pass rushers, both blitzing DBs and down rushers. Yeah, he threw 6 TDs in two postseason games and I'll give him his flowers for that, but let's not pretend that he can't do a better job with absorbing pressure and working through it.

I'm sure we can work on it, but it does give me pause and could be the start of a troubling trend. Baker got baked by pressure every time he crossed the opposing 40 yard line in both games, so consistently it was memeable.