Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Bootz »

Baker is mainstream and pretty well known because of all the commercials he's been in despite the fact that he's had a bad career performance and is now on his 4th team in the last 12 months.

Would not shock me 1 bit if the Glazers pushed for him because he'll garner media attention and keep the Buccaneer name in headlines.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:14 pm Hmmmm….so Caleb Williams or Drake Maye? Brian Flores or Jim Harbaugh?
None of them are coming here
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:02 pm My hope is either he or Trask balls out, or suck enough for us to get a top pick. Anything in between would put us in purgatory
Can we stop this narrative that you have to be awful to get a great QB? Or great players? It is just simply not true.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baker is an interesting cat. He’s galvanizing in a locker room. No matter how well or poorly he’s performing, he will garner his locker room contingent who wants him to start. The second Trask slips - assuming he’s starting - the rumblings will start internally and externally.

If it’s close in TC heading into week 1, there’s two tacts:

1. Trask has more performance to “grow into.” You play him because there’s more meat on the bone.

2. Baker is more experienced. He may offer more week 1. Bowles needs wins now. Growing into something isn’t a risk he can take?…Or is it?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:18 pm Baker is mainstream and pretty well known because of all the commercials he's been in despite the fact that he's had a bad career performance and is now on his 4th team in the last 12 months.

Would not shock me 1 bit if the Glazers pushed for him because he'll garner media attention and keep the Buccaneer name in headlines.
Arians pushed for him.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:11 pm It amazes me that he got double the amount Darnold got for the same amount of suckage.
The language in the report on Mayfield's contract is that the deal is worth up to $8.5mil so we may not know the full details for a day or two.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:28 pm
Navybuc wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:14 pm Hmmmm….so Caleb Williams or Drake Maye? Brian Flores or Jim Harbaugh?
None of them are coming here
Don’t be so sure
Kona

Post by Kona »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:29 pm
Kona wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:02 pm My hope is either he or Trask balls out, or suck enough for us to get a top pick. Anything in between would put us in purgatory
Can we stop this narrative that you have to be awful to get a great QB? Or great players? It is just simply not true.
Obviously great players can be picked anywhere. But if Baker/Trask both show to be low tier QBs wouldn’t you want as many options as possible to get your guy?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:30 pm

Obviously great players can be picked anywhere. But if Baker/Trask both show to be low tier QBs wouldn’t you want as many options as possible to get your guy?
We've gone through so many years already talking about the draft in October. It's kind of ironic that Baker was the #1 overall as we have this conversation. Maybe Baker Mayfield is our Drew Brees? I'm going to choose to be somewhat optimistic in the hope that Arians/Canales can mold him back into what a #1 overall pick should be.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kind of like the Drew Brees comparison actually. Drew's record with SD was 30-28 overall. 62% complete. 79 TDs to 53 INTs.

Baker was 29-30 with the Browns. 62% complete. 92 TDs to 56 INTs.

Both left original franchise after enduring a torn labrum.

We retire Drew. Resurrect Baker.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

How does Baker compare to Steve Young in Tampa?

I ask because it'll bug the shit out of Bootz.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:18 pm Baker is mainstream and pretty well known because of all the commercials he's been in despite the fact that he's had a bad career performance and is now on his 4th team in the last 12 months.

Arians pushed for him.
The only thing Arians should be pushing at OBP is his oxygen tank.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:33 pm

Arians pushed for him.
The only thing Arians should be pushing at OBP is his oxygen tank.
Hey-Oh!

Bruce on record back in 2018 saying he'd only come out of retirement to coach the Browns and Baker.
Snake

Post by Snake »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:22 pm How does Baker compare to Steve Young in Tampa?

I ask because it'll bug the shit out of Bootz.
Well, they’re both white. But I haven’t seen Baker’s 23andme yet.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I'm trying to be positive here, fellas...
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:45 pm I'm trying to be positive here, fellas...
We have @Doctor for that crap, mister.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:17 pm
Maybe that is why Barf Mayfield was let loose by Cleveland, Carolina and the Rams.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Guys, it’s good thing Baker is only here for a year…

In 2024, we’ll need a new qb from draft
Snake

Post by Snake »

Greggy is talking like Baker will be starting.
Snake

Post by Snake »

HEEHEE
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I think Baker will be starting. Trask would have to be a cut above in camp in order to beat out the vet. Baker had an impressive stretch with the Rams to end the year so will be interesting to see what Canales can do with him. Also worth noting Canales runs similar concepts to the Rams having coached under Shane Waldron the last couple of seasons.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

A great way to reduce his turnovers is to keep him on the bench.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:12 pm Image

Is that @SaggyBallZ tattoo?! Lol
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 pm I think Baker will be starting. Trask would have to be a cut above in camp in order to beat out the vet. Baker had an impressive stretch with the Rams to end the year so will be interesting to see what Canales can do with him. Also worth noting Canales runs similar concepts to the Rams having coached under Shane Waldron the last couple of seasons.
Baker did not have an impressive stretch with the Rams. He came off the bench to beat the Raiders, then lost to the Packers, defeated the hapless Broncos and finished the year with losses to Chargers and Seahawks. With Carolina he was 1-5 before the Panthers benched him. For 2022 in the games Mayfield started he was 2 wins and 8 losses. Threw 10 TD's and 8 INT's for the year.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm
Kona wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:30 pm

We've gone through so many years already talking about the draft in October. It's kind of ironic that Baker was the #1 overall as we have this conversation. Maybe Baker Mayfield is our Drew Brees? I'm going to choose to be somewhat optimistic in the hope that Arians/Canales can mold him back into what a #1 overall pick should be.
If Baker becomes our Brees that would be best case scenario, and I’d be all for it. Trask can then play the Philip Rivers role lol
BucFanClw

Post by BucFanClw »

I really didn't need another reason to drink heavily on Friday, Bucs.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:09 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm

If Baker becomes our Brees that would be best case scenario, and I’d be all for it. Trask can then play the Philip Rivers role lol
It's an interesting comparison. The stats are similar as they depart from their original teams. Did anyone know Brees was going to turn into HOFer Brees with the Saints? No.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I think he’ll put up decent enough numbers. It’s a pretty good spot to plug in a QB, and Baker will be eager to show he still belongs in the league. I think we’ll like how this new OC handles the offense. We’ll compete for the division and have a few things to be excited about.

It could also blow up spectacularly and we set our sights on a top 5 pick. You can’t go into a season with only Trask under contract. So I’m okay with this.
Snake

Post by Snake »

(Browns highlights)
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I truly don't understand the negativity. It looks like we signed him on the cheap at $8 mil. He's sucked for two straight years, but he's got some history of tasting success. Before the free agency began, most of us were content rolling with Trask, a guy that had horrible practices as per local media and could not beat out bust extraordinaire in Gabbert for two years.

Nothing has significantly changed with this signing. We will have competition between White Jameis and fat Glennon. Odds are our draft position isn't going to change much. There is an iota of possibility that Baker can turn things around. Furthermore we practically have a lame duck head coach and also GM. We weren't going to sign any true saviors. What is wrong with having some entertainment while Bucs continue losing like the good ole days? Give me 30 for 30 baby!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:00 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:45 pm I'm trying to be positive here, fellas...
We have @Doctor for that crap, mister.
Don't worry booboo I'm here.

Johnny is right. This is EXACTLY the kind of deal we would want every which way but people will still find a way to bitch.
Good back up QBs cost a pretty penny, Baker is that plus a chance to be the starter. We've been talking about QB competition and we can't exactly bring back our own former first overall, Baker is really the best of the rest.
Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pm He was every bit rookie savior people want us to go after. First overall pick. Had a great rookie year. Mid sophomore slump. Broke out his third year taking the 1-31 before him Browns to the playoffs despite being on his 4th HC in 3 years.

He tore his labrum in year 4 and should've shut it down but didn't. He's a major competitor, which is something BA, Bowles and Canales go off on. Speaking on, we probably have one of the best "change of scenery" staff there is. Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Geno Smith. Why not Baker Mayfield?
This move leaves us with plenty of avenues
Trask wins the job, we have a top back up
Canales and BA work their magic to give Baker a second win and he CBPOY
If you are a Caleb groupie you can easily be rooting for failure here too

I have plenty of issues with Baker as a QB and the way he plays the game. There will be plenty of time for all that but the short version is that imo, he got close, but never really made that "second leap". Also, I know hero worshipers will never acknowledge this, but he went through situations and circumstances that Rodgers would've failed at. With all the said he's exactly what we want for this roster at this time. Somehow people will still find ways to be upset because people at OBP are still breathing.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I was always a Baker believer so am ready to hop on board. If Canales can keep things simple for him, he can make plays with his feet and arm and brings a competitive fire. Having good weapons around him will certainly help. Do need to upgrade his protection though.