Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:06 pm
acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:03 pm

Is that a bad thing?
Also, I could say the exact same thing about Baker, "If you go into the year with Baker Mayfield as part of your plans, it's already doomed to fail."

Go ahead and miss me with the 8-9 wins and a (possible) division title is not failure BS. This team and Baker Mayfield are both mediocre. I don't want mediocre. And because of me not wanting mediocre, I want to move on from Baker and draft a rookie. Yes, roll the dice. The rookie might be worse than me at football, we don't know. The rookie might be better than Tom Brady at football, again, we don't know.

We know what Baker is, and to me, he is not good enough for my liking.
You're the only one considering a division title a failure, kiddo. This team didn't have a high prognosis for this season and exceeded expectations
bwahahahahah I posted again and predicted EXACTLY what you would say.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:09 pm

You're the only one considering a division title a failure, kiddo. This team didn't have a high prognosis for this season and exceeded expectations
bwahahahahah I posted again and predicted EXACTLY what you would say.
Oh.....Did you now........Wow.....
Most hated man in America.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Until someone better comes along, it's Baker or bust.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 pm Trask and a rookie? 1st round/2nd round? This is the way to winning?
These decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

We don't have a lot of room to make moves to create cap space next season. The only big walking bag of money we could tap would be Russell Gage, who would amount to $10 million in cap space (though $6 million in dead cap) if we designated him a post June-1 cut.

Outside of that, we have $47 million in cap space. Overthecap estimates we need around $10 million to sign our rookie class at our current draft slots, so drop our warchest to $37 million.

We NEED to bring back Evans and AWJ, imo. If we resign Baker for market rate (OverTheCap values him at $33mil/yr), you may as well kiss one or both of those guys goodbye, as well as any outside free agebt you may have heard of.

I like Baker as a human and I wish him well, but a better TEAM would undoubtedly be one without an expensive QB who singlehandedly torpedos our finances next season.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:37 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 pm Trask and a rookie? 1st round/2nd round? This is the way to winning?

We don't have a lot of room to make moves to create cap space next season. The only big walking bag of money we could tap would be Russell Gage, who would amount to $10 million in cap space (though $6 million in dead cap) if we designated him a post June-1 cut.

Outside of that, we have $47 million in cap space. Overthecap estimates we need around $10 million to sign our rookie class at our current draft slots, so drop our warchest to $37 million.

We NEED to bring back Evans and AWJ, imo. If we resign Baker for market rate (OverTheCap values him at $33mil/yr), you may as well kiss one or both of those guys goodbye, as well as any outside free agebt you may have heard of.

I like Baker as a human and I wish him well, but a better TEAM would undoubtedly be one without an expensive QB who singlehandedly torpedos our finances next season.
Just imagine Penix Jr., Nix, or JJ McCarthy throwing to Evans.

Someone needs to make a pic of McCarthy in a Buccaneers uniform.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:03 pm

Is that a bad thing?
Also, I could say the exact same thing about Baker, "If you go into the year with Baker Mayfield as part of your plans, it's already doomed to fail."

Go ahead and miss me with the 8-9 wins and a (possible) division title is not failure BS. This team and Baker Mayfield are both mediocre. I don't want mediocre. And because of me not wanting mediocre, I want to move on from Baker and draft a rookie. Yes, roll the dice. The rookie might be worse than me at football, we don't know. The rookie might be better than Tom Brady at football, again, we don't know.

We know what Baker is, and to me, he is not good enough for my liking.
You are dense. Really, fucking dense. Like Osmium levels of dense.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

You can always game the numbers to make it work with restructures and extensions.

We’re a win away from another division title. I don’t see our division improving drastically next season. Do you?

I would prefer to capitalize on that while we can. Why reset our roster/team with Trask/rookie when we already know we can win with what we have and an $80M anvil?

Use the resources we have to put pieces around Baker for a couple years. He’s still young. He’s talented. He’s a leader.

These are things we know. I don’t want to dump him for unknowns.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

My guess is, no matter the decision on Mayfield, the likes of Godwin, Davis, Vea will have restructures and Wirfs will extend with a contract having his cap number kept low.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

And I do not think we would have a better W/L record with Trask/Rookie next year.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Just go play lights out on Sunday, Bake. Leave no doubt.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 pm Lamar Jackson was a project?????

People will say just about anything huh
Every other team passed on him in the first round. He started his first season backing up Flacco. In fact, like Purdy he never would have started if Flacco wasn't injured. They installed during the bye an entirely new offense just for Lamar which used his running first and passing second. But sure, act like I'm crazy. In all his starts that season, he barely reached 200 passing in one game at 204. And you say he wasn't a project at all? Revisionist history huh
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:42 pm

Lamar wasn't a "project" to John Harbaugh. He was thrilled when Lamar was available when the Ravens drafted.
At 32. All pro ready QBs are picked there
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:32 am
GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:42 pm

Lamar wasn't a "project" to John Harbaugh. He was thrilled when Lamar was available when the Ravens drafted.
Lamar wasn't a project at all. Teams needing QBs simply dropped the ball.
Then explain why he would have been QB2 all season if not for the injury and the fact he was told not to pass?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:46 am Define project. This is the first year they’ve truly cut him loose as a passer. His inability to win from the pocket has been the reason the Ravens were eliminated from prior postseasons.

By @Snake ’s logic they should have moved on from him long ago because he has held his team back in the playoffs.
I meant he was meant to sit the first season as no team that needed a QB to start day 1 would have taken him
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:17 am
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:10 am

He's a much better passer now than he was then. He hit deep balls for TDs at an unsustainable rate in that MVP year and regressed mightily the next three seasons. He's 1-3 in post-season play.
Absolutely agree that he’s been a postseason disappointment in the time that he’s played in the postseason. This year is a huge test for him. They are the AFC favorites, if not the favorites to win it all.
Only Lamar can beat the Ravens in the playoff. I want to see him take the next step
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:49 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:25 pm

You're cutting out arguably Mayfield's best year as a passer in your comparison.

You're losing me. You don't like Mayfield, ok. That's fine. I'm not arguing that he's some elite player. He's good enough. Yes, you surround a good enough player with other elite players and good/great coaching chances are they will do well. What are we talking about here? Mayfield is a QB you have to commit nothing but mid-tier QB money to. If you move on you have to commit draft capital, and late draft capital at that, to the position and then start that player immediately or start Trask.

Why do some of you want to lose games so badly?
You're losing yourself, I've NEVER cut out Mayfield's best passing season, it was 2020 and I've mentioned it multiple times. I'll give you the perfect equivalent. Baker Mayfield = Joe Flacco. If you have an elite defense, elite running game, and a rookie QB contract, you can win games... even a Super Bowl. Once you stop paying the mediocre QB rookie money and giving starter money (that he doesn't deserve), you no longer can afford an elite defense and elite running game. Over the next 6 seasons, you have a sub .500 record and go 0-2 in the playoffs.

So, while you ask me why I want to lose so badly. My response is, I don't want to lose... I want to win. My question to you is, why do some of you want to be mediocre so badly? Why don't you want to win?
Here is another equation. The 5 year rule. If a QB/HC combo haven't won a Super Bowl in the first 5 seasons they never will. We have seen multiple occassions now that a QB goes to a new team and wins one. What's to say that can't happen here. By that logic, since Lamar never one a Super Bowl with Harbaugh, they should have jettisoned him for a rookie since it isn't going to happen now or fire Harbaugh and get a new coach since it's clearly the coach?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:51 am
kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:27 pm

When I found out that Freeman was in the substance abuse program, I was done with him. I for one wanted to not even take the 5th year option on Winston after he groped that Uber driver. He would clearly never grow up and be a real franchise QB. I know a lot of people who felt the same
Got it. So as long as Mayfield is a nice guy (which I will definitely say, he is... and I find him very likeable and funny), you're ok with keeping him despite the fact that he's holding the team back?
Is he? Is it the new OC, the poor HC, the lack of production from our running game, the lack of a true #3 receiver, the fact Otten gets the dropsies on easy passes, the horrible iOL we have, or a combination of all of that? Yes he misses deep passes. How many time did Brady miss Evans and we collectively groaned in 2020 before everything clicked? 1-3 times per game? This is his first season with a new OC, and a HC who is either hindering the offense or won't say anything to the OC to try something else when the game plan isn't working. IF we have a season two with them all together and seeing that Palmer is finally coming around and if we fix the interior, get a downhill runner, and hopefully a veteran TE that can block and pass we may see a completely different player.

There is a reason there is a comment that a change of scenery can help players. I thought Stafford is exactly who you think Baker is. Exactly. I laughed when he went to the Rams. I pointed to his record. I pointed to the fact he had Megatron and Nate Burleson and did nothing. I got egg on my face for that. So, I am willing to see another year with him if they keep this coaching staff
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:21 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:32 am

Lamar wasn't a project at all. Teams needing QBs simply dropped the ball.
Then explain why he would have been QB2 all season if not for the injury and the fact he was told not to pass?
Because the team had Flacco and weren't forced into a position of playing Lamar early on. He was told not to pass yet did so 170 times that season. Naughty naughty.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:19 pm

Every other team passed on him in the first round. He started his first season backing up Flacco. In fact, like Purdy he never would have started if Flacco wasn't injured. They installed during the bye an entirely new offense just for Lamar which used his running first and passing second. But sure, act like I'm crazy. In all his starts that season, he barely reached 200 passing in one game at 204. And you say he wasn't a project at all? Revisionist history huh
You think the Ravens would have never played Lamar Jackson if Flacco didn't get hurt? Yea, just like the Chiefs would've never played Patrick Mahomes because they had Alex Smith ;)
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04 pm
Backside wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:48 pm

That is incredibly disingenuous. Flacco had an all time great playoff run. They didn't hide him and win in spite of him, or just ask him to not fuck up. He carried that fucking team and went on an insane heater.
In the playoffs? That ONE year? Yeah... how about every other game that year or other years there? He was an average QB who didn't f' it up. I mean, good for him. Nothing wrong with that. We all know that average QB's can have great games... even below average QB's. Look at Nick Foles in the 2017 Super Bowl... even the NFCCG that year. Heck, in one other season he threw what, 7 TD passes against Oakland. That year, he threw 27 TD's and only 2 INT's. Let's not pretend that someone is better than what they are because of an isolated incident.

Flacco's best passer rating in any year was under 94. Nick Foles in one season had a 119. LOL

Joe Flacco 2012 playoffs... completed 58%, passes for 1140 yards and 11 TD's (4 games), had a 117.2 passer rating.
Nick Foles 2017 playoffs... completed 72%, passes for 971 yards and 6 TD's, 1 Int (3 games), had a 115.7 passer rating,
He was 103-82 6-5 in the playoffs outside that Super Bowl run and you would turn down that 11 year stretch?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:11 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:07 pm These hero worshippers have been selling us this same nonsense for years. You need a super star!

You can win with a Flacco. An Eli, a Mayfield, Jimmy G, Cam, Vick or Kaep. In the right fit, you absolutely can.

Just like Lamar, Mahomes or Rodgers would lose miserably and be nobodies in the wrong situation. That's football.
You CAN win with those guys... ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT! You CAN'T win with those guys on a big money contract. I mean, some people just want to take an argument someone is making... alter it (because they have no answer for it), and then argue against the altered argument that no one was making. LOL

Honestly, I think Rodgers is a choke artist in the playoffs, but that may just be me.
So you are saying Mahommes will never win another Super Bowl flat out?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm
CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:11 pm

You CAN win with those guys... ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT! You CAN'T win with those guys on a big money contract. I mean, some people just want to take an argument someone is making... alter it (because they have no answer for it), and then argue against the altered argument that no one was making. LOL

Honestly, I think Rodgers is a choke artist in the playoffs, but that may just be me.
Or Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, or Justin Herbert.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Baker is not getting $33m. Secondly we can and should save $5 for Shaq, $20 for CD3, $10 Gage (post-June) since none of them are worth their contracts
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:41 pm

Just imagine Penix Jr., Nix, or JJ McCarthy throwing to Evans.

Someone needs to make a pic of McCarthy in a Buccaneers uniform.
With Penix's injury concerns? With that and he tends to sail passes would make me not want him.

I genuinely have a feeling that unless Jim Harbaugh was his coach in the NFL, McCarthy will be a bust. He has problems throwing to the right. I don't like his deep pass. I think I read his weight is under 200 pounds? Yikes, Vea would kill him. The good news is there is buzz that if Jim is coming back to the NFL it would be there year and he would make McCarthy his #1 pick.

Nix, I wouldn't mind. If we switched to more of an RPO that would certainly help Rachaad White. Would still need a better interior
Snake

Post by Snake »

Mccarthy’s grades by depth and direction. Right side throws highlighted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:15 pm Was Tom Brady holding this team back in 2022?
Yes. Resoundingly.
I said what I said

Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm

Didn't Mahomes just win a Super Bowl? On his fat contract? Without Tyreek?

Hmmmm....mysteries

Edit: I assume Bootz was not agreeing with Cannon.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Terry Tate wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 pm

Didn't Mahomes just win a Super Bowl? On his fat contract? Without Tyreek?

Hmmmm....mysteries

Edit: I assume Bootz was not agreeing with Cannon.
Not at all. This myth that you can't win with a big money QB is just that. Last 3 QBs to win a ring all had large salaries (Brady,Stafford and Mahomes).
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:15 pm Was Tom Brady holding this team back in 2022?
Yes. Resoundingly.
Absolutely not.

He was certainly distracted and run down, and not peak Tom. There’s no denying that, but holding them back? No way. Seriously, go read up on the time line of shit that went sideways with this team. Nevermind the off the field issues he dealt with, look what he had to work with on the field.

The team was absolutely decimated top to bottom, but especially on offense. It started with Marpet before Brady even came back, then Jensen, then Gronk, then the WR room, then the D, then Wirfs. The hits just kept on coming. It was less than a shell of the 20 and 21 teams. Oh, and lest we forget there was a new HC and Leftwich was a disaster.

If anything Brady was the primary reason they were able to win the division. Even with the division being trash it took some vintage Brady late game heroics to get some of those wins.

I’m curious who you, or anyone else, actually think would have actually done
more with last year’s dumpster fire.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I think with all that was going on with him, it impacted the team immensely and we were so chaotic because of it. Not sure who could have done better and not sure who would have done worse. But he play was GOAT play last year for sure.
I said what I said

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

If Bo Nix is gone as this mock draft says. I would not be unhappy with LAIATU LATU

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl ... en-daniels
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

kaimaru wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:39 am If Bo Nix is gone as this mock draft says. I would not be unhappy with LAIATU LATU

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl ... en-daniels

Who is the defensive slot technician in this draft?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 pm
Yes. Resoundingly.
If it wasn't, he be playing this year.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:13 pm

In the playoffs? That ONE year? Yeah... how about every other game that year or other years there? He was an average QB who didn't f' it up. I mean, good for him. Nothing wrong with that. We all know that average QB's can have great games... even below average QB's. Look at Nick Foles in the 2017 Super Bowl... even the NFCCG that year. Heck, in one other season he threw what, 7 TD passes against Oakland. That year, he threw 27 TD's and only 2 INT's. Let's not pretend that someone is better than what they are because of an isolated incident.

Flacco's best passer rating in any year was under 94. Nick Foles in one season had a 119. LOL

Joe Flacco 2012 playoffs... completed 58%, passes for 1140 yards and 11 TD's (4 games), had a 117.2 passer rating.
Nick Foles 2017 playoffs... completed 72%, passes for 971 yards and 6 TD's, 1 Int (3 games), had a 115.7 passer rating,
So is Flacco capable of carrying a team to a Super Bowl or is he not? He is not the only QB to look mediocre and then go on a heater in the playoffs. So can you win with these guys or can't you? Seems like the goal posts keep moving.
1st question... No. He can't carry anyone to anything. Let's not pretend that during that heater you brought up, that the defense didn't have 10 take aways.

Let's also not pretend that in the 6 years following, after Flcco got paid, his numbers didn't really change, yet they made the playoffs only once with him under center.

Not moving any goal posts as when talking about Mayfield, we're talking about giving him an extension... meaning, paying him starter money.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:13 pm

So is Flacco capable of carrying a team to a Super Bowl or is he not? He is not the only QB to look mediocre and then go on a heater in the playoffs. So can you win with these guys or can't you? Seems like the goal posts keep moving.
1st question... No. He can't carry anyone to anything. Let's not pretend that during that heater you brought up, that the defense didn't have 10 take aways.

Let's also not pretend that in the 6 years following, after Flcco got paid, his numbers didn't really change, yet they made the playoffs only once with him under center.

2nd question... yes, you can if you have an elite team arounf him. That generally only happens when the qb is cheap, because the other players are getting paid.

Not moving any goal posts as when talking about Mayfield, we're talking about giving him an extension... meaning, paying him starter money.