Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Miller4Prez64

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 pm I'm not looking to win 6 games. I'm looking to getting back to the post season. You never throw away your ticket to the dance, especially when we've seen dudes like Foles and Eli win prom king.
Our FO is literally making moves that are going to set us up to win 6 games and not make the playoffs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don't believe him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So when’s press conference?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He's currently on NFL Now.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Why am I not surprised that Jenna Laine is the one that asked Baker a question about Brady?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I mean he pretty much immediately signed a $4mil one year deal so I doubt there were many if any other suitors than the Bucs.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:12 pm I mean he pretty much immediately signed a $4mil one year deal so I doubt there were many if any other suitors than the Bucs.
That and the chance to be a starter again.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Double post
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Now that was funny

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

We just saw the beginning and the end of hype train for 2023 Bucs season. Brace yourselves for uninspiring 9 months ahead.
Snake

Post by Snake »

does a depth veteran quarterback signing normally get a press conference like this?

I think he’s clearly starting week one barring something totally unforeseen.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Were all these same people so negative back in 2020 about Tom Brady and his imminent decline due to age?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:55 pm Were all these same people so negative back in 2020 about Tom Brady and his imminent decline due to age?
Ummm, no.

There were concerns about his arm either holding up or being strong enough for Arians’s system.

@Nobody put that to rest with film breakdown.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:44 am
Al Bundy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:13 pm

So, what should the Buccaneers have done? Hired a lame duck coach to replace Bowles with, go 1-16 and reset everything and hope and pray the #1 overall pick pans out? The #1 overall pick for the Bucs has panned out exactly one time. I like this approach, as this team can still win the division and we are going to see what a good OC can do here.
No, the Buccaneers should have hired a coach they trust to rebuild, which is exactly what they're going to do after we wasted 17 more games with Toilet Bowles. That's the point. Not the #1 pick.

In the meantime, FUCK YEAH! Another 8-9 division championship. FUCK. YEAH. Screw this Lombardi shit. You'll be telling your grandkids about that two year stretch where we won 45% of our games and lost by 70 points in the wildcard round twice. How our ass taste, NFL?
We are literally two years removed from winning the Super Bowl lol
Snake

Post by Snake »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:20 pm

No, the Buccaneers should have hired a coach they trust to rebuild, which is exactly what they're going to do after we wasted 17 more games with Toilet Bowles. That's the point. Not the #1 pick.

In the meantime, FUCK YEAH! Another 8-9 division championship. FUCK. YEAH. Screw this Lombardi shit. You'll be telling your grandkids about that two year stretch where we won 45% of our games and lost by 70 points in the wildcard round twice. How our ass taste, NFL?
We are literally two years removed from winning the Super Bowl lol
Two years is a very long time in the NFL. Especially when you lose the GOAT quarterback, and have to pay one of the largest cap tolls ever.

Very long.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm does a depth veteran quarterback signing normally get a press conference like this?

I think he’s clearly starting week one barring something totally unforeseen.
This is all showplace theater by the Glazers and the Bucs FO. He's a Heisman winning former #1 overall pick with a history of great marketability and endorsement deals. Of course they're gonna get him in front of the Tampa media. He helps keep the Buccaneer name relevant for at least another year. Doesn't matter if he starts or not.
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Pretty sure the national football media is just hoping to rain down on us this year. Prolly local too.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:11 pm Name a player who can make our roster as the 252nd pick.
Karl Brooks

Funny thing PFF had him 2 or 3 hundred spots back awhile ago and they noticed other boards moving him up to the 2nd round, so they did to. What's funny is when I'd do a sim they were giving an F grade as a 2nd rounder. Now grudgingly they have him as a D+
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:55 pm Were all these same people so negative back in 2020 about Tom Brady and his imminent decline due to age?
The most amusing people on these forums are those who are pretending to be cautiously optimistic, but deep down believe Baker is going to save the season.

There is nothing odd or unreasonable about the naysayers. Mayfield is quite easily a decade later version of Josh Freeman that lucked out with an amazing roster in 2020 leading to a playoff appearance.

There are some trying to act like his struggles from the last two years have some explanation, involving a player "betting on himself" and unluckily getting hurt during the process. I don't see a heroic arc in the making from here on. His film even from his best season is quite average.

He has some Tebowesque energy about him, and he does not throw checkdowns to save his job. I truly appreciate that he won't be a Teddy Bridgewater, Jacoby Brisett type gunshy QB. Unfortunately that is all the positivity I can muster.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

There was a ton of negativity here after we let Jameis go for Brady, absolutely.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Al Bundy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:13 pm

So, what should the Buccaneers have done? Hired a lame duck coach to replace Bowles with, go 1-16 and reset everything and hope and pray the #1 overall pick pans out? The #1 overall pick for the Bucs has panned out exactly one time. I like this approach, as this team can still win the division and we are going to see what a good OC can do here.

I mean, they could have hired an unproven head coach and went in to full on tank mode to finish 1-16, but at that point are you trading every guy that is here to win? Are you trading Mike Evans? Godwin? Vita Vea? If you are willing to trade all of the good players for picks and have nothing but crap at every position then yes, tank. But if you want to keep ANY of those players you try to win.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

It’s just stupid.

Geno Smith and the Seahawks were not going to win anything last year and will never win anything with him at the helm.

We seem to hope Baker can have a Smith-like resurgence, but his peak is not winning a superbowl. His peak was his 11-5 run and he has done nothing but regress from then. All we are accomplishing through Baker (if he plays “as hoped”) is kicking the can down the road as a 7-10 win team.

The NFL is about finding a QB that can make your franchise a winner for years and years to come. We are fortunate to have had Brady and a super bowl, but he’s a once in a lifetime talent. If you want to sign a veteran QB, you better hope it’s a Brady type. All Baker Mayfield does is make it harder for us to find that guy and delays us from doing so.

Praying that Trask wins in camp.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:56 pm It’s just stupid.

Geno Smith and the Seahawks were not going to win anything last year and will never win anything with him at the helm.

We seem to hope Baker can have a Smith-like resurgence, but his peak is not winning a superbowl. His peak was his 11-5 run and he has done nothing but regress from then. All we are accomplishing through Baker (if he plays “as hoped”) is kicking the can down the road as a 7-10 win team.

The NFL is about finding a QB that can make your franchise a winner for years and years to come. We are fortunate to have had Brady and a super bowl, but he’s a once in a lifetime talent. If you want to sign a veteran QB, you better hope it’s a Brady type. All Baker Mayfield does is make it harder for us to find that guy and delays us from doing so.

Trask isn't the QB you are talking about. You do have to be very lucky AND have the right coaches in place.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

So Mayfield’s Wikipedia page is pretty darn interesting and funny in some ways. This boy has some fire in him. What is not talked about is how he likes to stir the pot and that was one reason he left the Browns. Looks like he has been that way since college. Here is an excerpt:

2017 season
On September 9, 2017, after a win against the Ohio State Buckeyes in Columbus, Mayfield planted the Sooners' flag in the middle of the painted "O" at Ohio Stadium, causing a major public backlash.[36][37] Mayfield issued an apology shortly afterwards.[37]

On November 4, 2017, Mayfield threw for a school-high 598 yards against in-state rival Oklahoma State.[38] Mayfield finished 24-for-36 with five passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown, and Oklahoma won the game by a score of 62–52.[39][40] Mayfield completed his career 3–0 as the starting Oklahoma quarterback in the Bedlam Series.[39]

Mayfield at 2017 Big 12 Media Days
In November 2017, Mayfield was under fire again after an interaction during the game against Kansas. Mayfield was seen grabbing his crotch and mouthing "Fuck you!" at the coach of the opposing team. He also told their fans to "Go cheer on basketball."[41] In response, Mayfield issued another public apology.[42] Days after the 41–3 victory over Kansas, Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley announced that Mayfield would not start or be the captain during the upcoming game against West Virginia due to his actions against Kansas.[43]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Mayfield
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

More from the wiki page lol

In Week 16, Mayfield completed 27 of 37 passes for 284 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions in a 26–18 win over the Cincinnati Bengals, earning him AFC Offensive Player of the Week.[70] He also won the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week fan vote for the sixth time.[71] On December 29, Mayfield was fined $10,026 for unsportsmanlike conduct during the game. As reported by The Plain Dealer, Mayfield "pretended to expose his private parts" to Browns offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens after throwing a touchdown to tight end Darren Fells. Kitchens later defended the gesture as an inside joke between the two. Mayfield's agent Tom Mills said they would appeal the fine
I said what I said

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Mayfields TD to INT ratio shows that he is not a very careful QB.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm
There was a ton of negativity here after we let Jameis go for Brady, absolutely.
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:42 am Mayfields TD to INT ratio shows that he is not a very careful QB.
Just like Jamies Winston.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:56 pm It’s just stupid.

God I hate this take. It's just so so bad.

I get it. A franchise QB is sexy. A dynasty is sexy. Stringing together multiple SBs is sexy.
But the truth is that THAT is the fantasy. Brady skewed the picture, but in reality, even the franchiest of franchise QBs usually get you 1 or 2 bites of the apple. If even that. Brady had ten Super Bowl appearances which won't happen again. And who did he beat? Who oftentimes came within inches or minutes of being a champion in their own appearances?

The likes of Jake Deholmme, Jared Goff, Kurt Warner (twice). You also have guys like Jimmy G, Cam Newton, Kaep, Rex Grossman ffs, and Matt Hasselbeck. And those are just the losers. Dudes like Eli, Nick Foles, Staffy and Flacco all actually won. Trent Dilfer beat Kerry Collins. Brad Johnson defeated Gannon in a journeyman duel.

This is why I keep saying stopping an elite QB still remains the best way of winning a championship. Defense still wins championships. We held Mahomes to 9 freaking points and you're going to tell me Geno Smith couldn't get us 10 after averaging 24 ppg because he isn't part of the "cool QB club"? Come on.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

That is such an old an antiquated take on QBs. The dynamics and meta of the league have shifted dramatically over the past 5-10 years. With all the rule changes coupled with athletes moonlight as QBs, defenses are more and more at a disadvantage.

I can't remember which game last season, but a defender had the QB dead to rights for a sack and SAFETY but declined to because he was fearing a penalty. That shit didn't happen when Trent Dilfer won his ring.

Also, defense wins championships is getting outdated very quickly. Hell, I don't like Mahomes, and I hate the street ball era we're in, but even I can admit that he's doing shit that no defense can truly stop. There's people literally sacking him and he's able to still make a retarded throw for a 3rd down conversion or TD.

We're basically in a nuclear arms race now, similar to the Cold War. Defense is...cute. But what we really need is the biggest and highest supply of tactical nukes. When Mahomes does his stupid shit and gets a TD out of a play that should end in a sack, we gotta have a guy that can answer back, otherwise you lose. It's just that simple.

The league has become a game of 32 Quarterbacks and then everyone else. You're either in the club or you're waiting outside in a long ass line looking like a punk.

Fortunately for you Doctor, I think your dreams are going to come true. We won't be in the "cool kids club" with one of the franchise QBs. We're instead going to have guys that can reliably win 7 wins a season and maybe give us fleeting hope at a WC berth. So, kudos to you champ, your ideal scenario is playing out before our eyes.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We've heard this all before. People have been hero-worshipping since the days of Leaf and Manning.

The Chiefs are just the new Colts. Great offense with a mid defense that sometimes shows up. Only bit more clutch.
You don't beat them by trying to out shoot them. You beat them by smothering QB and stopping the run. You always have. Or are we ignoring the Chiefs' avg over 6 yards a run in their SB too?

Mahomes is magic. Sure. But everyone else from Burrow to Allen to Hurts and Lamar are just typical elite. "Shut down with good defense" level elite. And FYI- so is Mahomes.

The dogma that everyone else should sit on the sidelines tanking to find their own Mahomes before they dare join the fight is as ridiculous as it is cowardly.