Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Doctor »

Why would you hear anything about a guy with 9 career passes?

As JL said this is the first truly open QB competition in Tampa in 10 years. Baker still has a lot of believers around the league. It's no surprise there are some in OBP- who also like Trask. But, contrary to hero worshippers who believe Rodgers and Brady would've been great anywhere regardless or who believe QB should always be an unchallenged position, I have been a constant proponent of SCHEME FIT. Fit matters more than anything. And the question going to be answered this TC is who best fits Canales.

On the surface, it's Baker. Baker is really damn good outside the pocket and that is also how Canales like his QB. If he clicks with the system this could easily be the best Baker that's ever baked. At the same time, Baker can be defeated by simply keeping him in the pocket, dropping back 7, and taking away his first read. He just hasn't shown the leap when it comes to going through your progression in the pocket. This is where Trask has an edge. A total in the pocket guy that smoothly reads through his progressions and doesn't throw a lot of picks.

It's going to be two different flavors this TC. Anyone can come out of top.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baker Mayfield does not have a lot believers around the league. That is effing bullshit.

Jarrett Stidham just got $5 million guaranteed. That is the class Baker Mayfield is in.

I really hope the guy does well. I love his attitude even if people find it to be offputting. He’s a throwback type of player. Both mentally and physically. He would’ve been a Hall of Famer in the 1970s.

But we now live in the reality of Josh Allen, Patrick, Mahomes, and Justin Herbert.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yes, because unless his believers also happen to be GMs they don't exist. He was voted top 100 twice by his peers. Tons of people backed him during the Watson saga. Do you think they all just changed their opinions because of the geniuses in Carolina?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Tons of people (including GMs) said and did a lot of things…

Except sign him to a good starter’s salary and term the minute he became available.

The facts aren’t really arguable. Baker is one of the worst 32 starters in the league at a given time. Like 28th to 32nd worst.

His free agent contract that he just signed at age 27 says that more than anything.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm Yes, because unless his believers also happen to be GMs they don't exist. He was voted top 100 twice by his peers. Tons of people backed him during the Watson saga. Do you think they all just changed their opinions because of the geniuses in Carolina?
All that and he's on his 4th team in the last 365 days.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Does any of that matter?

Seriously, you do realize that when you try to use that as a black mark on Baker you are doing so by endorsing the brain trusts of Cleveland and Carolina.

So please, tell me what makes them so great? I'm listening.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:38 pm Does any of that matter?

Seriously, you do realize that when you try to use that as a black mark on Baker you are doing so by endorsing the brain trusts of Cleveland and Carolina.

So please, tell me what makes them so great? I'm listening.
So, when Baker is inevitably benched by week 8 and unceremoniously leaves at season’s end. Will that mean Baker actually stinks or Bowles and Co aren’t nearly as smart as you portray them to be?

Or somehow, someway all are still amazing and you’ll find more excuses?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Eisen saying Baker is the one guy that could be “the guy” after Brady makes me think Rich loves to ski if you know what I mean…
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ouch it’s true

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

My counting question is: If we sucked with Tom Brady, how the hell do we play well with anyone else under center? This is what scares me more than anything. I am hoping an overall healthier team makes somewhat of a difference
I said what I said

real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:22 pm My counting question is: If we sucked with Tom Brady, how the hell do we play well with anyone else under center? This is what scares me more than anything. I am hoping an overall healthier team makes somewhat of a difference
My observation was that scheme last year as a whole failed. Donovan Smith and Russell Gage were particularly disappointing, but everyone seemed to regress as the quality control seemed to fall off a cliff without Arians around- and Arians scheme demands elite quality control.

The hope is that our new OC Canales and his QB friendly scheme can mesh well with Baker who seems like a great fit for what he wants to do. Bakers big issue has been decision making, but Canales system is known for making decisions easy for QBs.

I know we’ve discussed both ends of the spectrum, from Bree’s to bust, but what about Geno Smith last year as an outcome?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Exactly. It's not as easy as the offense - Brady + Baker = Better?

This offense is going to be completely different. Is it going to be "better"? Well hard to top what we were in 2020 but better than last year, sure.
I see no reason why we cannot be Seattle or better. I mean anyone picking Geno over Baker before last year? A 25 PPG offense is all we really need to give this defense a chance to win games for us.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:22 pm My counting question is: If we sucked with Tom Brady, how the hell do we play well with anyone else under center? This is what scares me more than anything. I am hoping an overall healthier team makes somewhat of a difference
Totally different offense. Tom Brady was asked to carry the entire offense, asked to make hard throws, asked to keep everything on schedule.

We also had basically no run game, the playcalling is fairly predictable, and players werent executing(for one reason or another).

The offense thats being hinted at is something similar to what youd see from the seahawks or 9rs. Its more run oriented while asking the qb to make much easier reads and throws.
Basically the qb is the point guard getting the ball out to the playmakers and letting them carry the load.

Will we be successful? Who knows, but its not going to be anything like we've been watching since BA has got here.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

FOX truly has no credibility. Skip Bayless sounds like a fucking fool trying to defend Baker. I know he has no shame. But FOX looks like an idiot network for putting this crap on.
Most hated man in America.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 pm FOX truly has no credibility. Skip Bayless sounds like a fucking fool trying to defend Baker. I know he has no shame. But FOX looks like an idiot network for putting this crap on.
Angertainment.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:03 am Folks..

Don’t be surprised if we go 13-4 with Baker

And win the Super Bowl
I'll be more than surprised, I'll be straight up shocked

Pleasantly shocked but shocked nonetheless
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 pm FOX truly has no credibility. Skip Bayless sounds like a fucking fool trying to defend Baker. I know he has no shame. But FOX looks like an idiot network for putting this crap on.
Their show has been nonsense for years. I was actually glad that Skip Bayless would stop talking about our team but forgot that he’s an Oklahomer and stans Baker hard.
Snake

Post by Snake »

These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I think you guys have forgotten just how much Leftwich's own ineptitude hurt us. When we started the season in Dallas our offense looked on the verge of fantastic. We even remarked on being balanced. As the season wore on we just ran the same shit over and over and over until it got to the point where teams could predict what we were doing and when. So of course everything fell off a cliff. When IABL can predict 3 plays in a row with regular success, imagine the people who do this for a living. What we saw was historic and it could be several years before anything at that level happens again. Of course everything fell off a cliff. We'd have weeks where our offense would look exactly like it did and then reports would surface about BA ripping up the game plan. The difference is we didn't have BA to do this anymore

I am VERY cautiously optimistic with how we could do simply by being less predictable on offense
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:32 pm
Direct from the “No Shit” files.
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:02 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:32 pm
Direct from the “No Shit” files.
Darn, I was expecting Licht to say some bad things about a player he just signed.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:20 pm Exactly. It's not as easy as the offense - Brady + Baker = Better?

This offense is going to be completely different. Is it going to be "better"? Well hard to top what we were in 2020 but better than last year, sure.
I see no reason why we cannot be Seattle or better. I mean anyone picking Geno over Baker before last year? A 25 PPG offense is all we really need to give this defense a chance to win games for us.
LOL.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

The average offense in 2022 scored 21 ppg.

6 scored 25 ppg or more.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:20 pm Exactly. It's not as easy as the offense - Brady + Baker = Better?

I think you are off base with your over optimism, but I like your optimism. The reason we cannot be Seattle or better has to do with the psyche of QB position. Once a QB loses confidence and has a bad stretch lasting as long as two years, for whatever reason, it is usually probably over for him.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jonny wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:04 am

I think you are off base with your over optimism, but I like your optimism. The reason we cannot be Seattle or better has to do with the psyche of QB position. Once a QB loses confidence and has a bad stretch lasting as long as two years, for whatever reason, it is usually probably over for him.
Interesting. How long was Geno Smith's "bad stretch?"
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Thanks for the highlights. Breshad Perriman sighting in there.

Watched Rich Eisen’s take afterward as well and enjoyed it. You forget how much Baker went through in Cleveland.

Let’s look at this as an opportunity for us as much as it is for him. That 2020 season can’t be taken away from him. Why can’t we catch that lightning in a bottle again here in Tampa?
Snake

Post by Snake »

He has a great arm. And uh…yeah. He has a great arm.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Plenty of arm strength. That’s for for sure.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:27 pm
Youtube also has 2019 highlights of Jamies Winston. Those highlights looked better than the highlights of Mayfield.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Ain’t that the thing with highlights though? Lol.