Official Bucs 2021 NFL Season

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Official Bucs 2021 NFL Season

Post by King Bootz »

So what are we looking 🤔 against the Panthers?

AB, even if he does in fact return this week, will no doubt be on a pitch count. He hasn't played in over 2 months. Hasn't practiced either. I don't see him getting 50-60 snaps right out the gate.

According to Greg Aumen, since Perriman was put on Covid list Saturday, he might not be eligible for the Panthers game. We'll have to see.

Johnson, Miller, Darden. Ehh.

We could go TE fury with Gronk/Brate/Howard. And of course Rojo.

A lot to sort out this week.
Nano

Post by Nano »

The Panthers are going to destroy us.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:29 pm So what are we looking 🤔 against the Panthers?

AB, even if he does in fact return this week, will no doubt be on a pitch count. He hasn't played in over 2 months. Hasn't practiced either. I don't see him getting 50-60 snaps right out the gate.

According to Greg Aumen, since Perriman was put on Covid list Saturday, he might not be eligible for the Panthers game. We'll have to see.

BA said hopefully about 30 plays for AB, but who knows. Perriman just needs to two negative tests and be "asymptomatic". I read the NFL now accepts the rapid tests now which are by far the most inaccurate.

It will be interesting how it all sorts out and who fills that Godwin role when we go 3WR as the slot WR who does alot of dirty work blocking bigger guys in the run game.

But I agree we'll likely see less 3-4 WR sets and more 2-3 TE's. RUN THE FUCKING BALL PLEASE!!

Brady does have a good rapport with AB and obviously does so with Gronk as well. So we just need pieces around that.

Assuming we get Evans back I think the Evans, AB, Perriman trio w/ Gronk is still very formidable and capable. We lose alot of the physical advantage on the perimeter without Godwin. Perriman is a big enough dude (slightly bigger than Godwin), but doesn't play with the same physical nature as Godwin. Few WRs do.

I'm more concerned that Rojo and Vaughn will be our primary RB options. I have every confidence in Rojo as a runner, I actually like him better than Lenny when it comes to strictly running the rock. But neither can catch and both are liabilities in pass protection. So we're a much weaker team on 3rd down now.

Plus defenses are going to give Brady the checkdown and he'll of course take it, so all those RB targets are now going to guys with bad hands.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Dread wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:01 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:29 pm So what are we looking 🤔 against the Panthers?

BA said hopefully about 30 plays for AB, but who knows. Perriman just needs to two negative tests and be "asymptomatic". I read the NFL now accepts the rapid tests now which are by far the most inaccurate.

It will be interesting how it all sorts out and who fills that Godwin role when we go 3WR as the slot WR who does alot of dirty work blocking bigger guys in the run game.

Brady does have a good rapport with AB and obviously does so with Gronk as well. So we just need pieces around that.

Assuming we get Evans back I think the Evans, AB, Perriman trio w/ Gronk is still very formidable and capable. We lose alot of the physical advantage on the perimeter without Godwin. Perriman is a big enough dude (slightly bigger than Godwin), but doesn't play with the same physical nature as Godwin. Few WRs do.

I'm more concerned that Rojo and Vaughn will be our primary RB options. I have every confidence in Rojo as a runner, I actually like him better than Lenny when it comes to strictly running the rock. But neither can catch and both are liabilities in pass protection. So we're a much weaker team on 3rd down now.

Plus defenses are going to give Brady the checkdown and he'll of course take it, so all those RB targets are now going to guys with bad hands.
I think we need to pivot away from the offense running through Brady and let the running attack be the primary driver. Brady doesn't have the MVP to pad stats for anymore, now we just need wins and to establish a Plan B for the playoffs.

Rojo needs to step up and then Lenny to continue being great whenever he returns. Brady has no business throwing the ball 45-50 times a game anymore.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Caption: What Brady thought of last night's Gameplan.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Caption: What Brady thought of last night's Gameplan.
So he destroyed the tablet and told Dennis Allen to go fuck himself. Apparently he also bumped an official and was seen yelling at an official also.

#GreatLeadership
nybf

Post by nybf »

#HashtagsOnPlatformsThatDontUseThemAreAsEdgyAsThatShitStainWhoChangesEveryonesNameToACurse
Nano

Post by Nano »

Pat O'Conner tore his PCL and MCL last night and will miss the rest of the season.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:05 pm #HashtagsOnPlatformsThatDontUseThemAreAsEdgyAsThatShitStainWhoChangesEveryonesNameToACurse
Lol don't pretend like #itsabucslife wasn't a thing, kiddo.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:41 pm
nybf wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:05 pm #HashtagsOnPlatformsThatDontUseThemAreAsEdgyAsThatShitStainWhoChangesEveryonesNameToACurse
#itsabucslife was a thing because it was adopted by the team and blew up in their face spectacularly.

#GreatLeadership was not.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I would imagine that we would lean on the running game and our tight ends. My keys for offensive success versus the Panthers:

- Don't call runs where the wide receiver is reduced into the formation and is expected to block a front seven defender. Godwin is out and our other guys can't so that. Keep your wideouts out wide. This will also give us lighter boxes on which to run.
- Lean on our tight ends. People assume that we have to always run or check down to a back when the defense is in soft cover-2, but we have an excellent trio of tight ends who all could be used as safety options for Brady.
- Run Miller deep. Hell, I'd run him deep every snap he's on the field. Now that Godwin is gone, teams are going to be tempted to sit on the short stuff and dare us to win over the top. Even if Miller doesn't see many balls, he will likely win a footrace or two and keep those safeties honest.
- Running back and tight end screens. If the Panthers (or whomever) want to play deep and they want to be aggro in their rush plan, dropping a few screens to RoJo and Vaughn should help, as should TE screens to our aforementioned safety valves.
- Most importantly. Run. The. Ball. Into favorable numbers and light boxes, preferably, instead of a maelstrom of defenders as we have been doing lately.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Does anyone know if we get the diversity comp picks if we promote either Bowles or Leftwich to HC?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:14 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:41 pm

#itsabucslife was a thing because it was adopted by the team and blew up in their face spectacularly.

#GreatLeadership was not.
I know but it kinda fits.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

ATrain wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:09 pm Does anyone know if we get the diversity comp picks if we promote either Bowles or Leftwich to HC?
The rule specifically states another club has to hire them.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

What are people's predictions on which receivers we will see in the next game?

I am assuming Mike will be on the shelf with the elf. Brown will be back but I suspect he will be rusty and not see 100% of the snaps. I assume Perriman will be back. This leaves us Scotty Miller, Tyler Johnson, and Jaelon Darden. Do we have other receivers I have forgotten? Will the team put effort into the running game and go with two tight ends more often?
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

13F11B wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 pm What are people's predictions on which receivers we will see in the next game?

I am assuming Mike will be on the shelf with the elf. Brown will be back but I suspect he will be rusty and not see 100% of the snaps. I assume Perriman will be back. This leaves us Scotty Miller, Tyler Johnson, and Jaelon Darden. Do we have other receivers I have forgotten? Will the team put effort into the running game and go with two tight ends more often?
There's the ghost of Justin Watson...

ugh.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm sure some advanced metrics will pop up to dispute this point, but Brady has not been nearly as sharp on his deep balls this season as last. With Perriman, Miller, and Darden now bigger parts of the offense, that's not great.

We're going to have to run. We're going to have to get the best from Gronk, not whatever that was last night. We're going to have to have our defense play as well as they did against the Saints. And we're going to have to hope by the time the playoffs roll around, AB, Evans, and Lenny are all 100% AND playing well. Not necessarily the same thing.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

MJW wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:04 am I'm sure some advanced metrics will pop up to dispute this point, but Brady has not been nearly as sharp on his deep balls this season as last. With Perriman, Miller, and Darden now bigger parts of the offense, that's not great.

We're going to have to run. We're going to have to get the best from Gronk, not whatever that was last night. We're going to have to have our defense play as well as they did against the Saints. And we're going to have to hope by the time the playoffs roll around, AB, Evans, and Lenny are all 100% AND playing well. Not necessarily the same thing.
No he hasn't been. Last year we consistently had those highlight plays where Brady would hit Miller deep or someone else. But this year they're free and far between.

Brady has regressed this year, noticeably. His stats have been helped a lot by a concerted effort to pad his stats
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I do not agree with this.

His stats have been helped a lot by a concerted effort to pad his stats
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

13F11B wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 pm What are people's predictions on which receivers we will see in the next game?

If the o-line can get the beach sand rinsed out of their eyes we will be alright.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

We are going to see the next two games if the coaches are pretenders or not. They are going to have game plan the next few games which they have shown no evidence of doing this season.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Imagine thinking a coaching staff that in 3 years has won a Super Bowl and is currently 10-4 has something to prove.

Never change, Digital_Dumbass. Never change, kiddo.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

For all who didnt agree with me on going undefeated at home - I'm sure you are still dug in hard.

Shame it is.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

With AB coming back and us having both Perriman and Miller, I wonder if going heavy run then PA vertical passing isn't our best way to move the ball.

Or maybe have the audacity to mix in consistent crossing routes? Maybe make mesh a bigger part of the gameplan?

Perriman win us a game with a mesh route and Brady hit AB for a long YAC TD earlier in the year with a crossing route.

Idk, seems to work but will that be risky enough for useless Arians?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Others have mentioned it but Brady's deep ball has fallen off this season. Most of the successes have been Evans elite catch radius and great positioning. The last true clean deep ball I recall from Brady was the TD Evans had in New Orleans. There might be others since then but that one was perfection.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

ATrain wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 am With AB coming back and us having both Perriman and Miller, I wonder if going heavy run then PA vertical passing isn't our best way to move the ball.

Or maybe have the audacity to mix in consistent crossing routes? Maybe make mesh a bigger part of the gameplan?

Perriman win us a game with a mesh route and Brady hit AB for a long YAC TD earlier in the year with a crossing route.

Idk, seems to work but will that be risky enough for useless Arians?
It will be interesting to see what they do. If Evans is out for the next game then I would think the offense will be heavily modified from what we are used to seeing. Given this coaching staff I would be surprised if the running game takes center stage but I would not be surprised by a higher number of two tight end sets with max protect.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I have not been happy at all with Brady not getting these depth receivers ready for how he wants them to play.

He should of been able to establish a Griffin to Hudson connection and now he has to.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Carolina statistically allows the 2nd fewest passing yards per game. But they have allowed 21 TD passes to just 9 picks and allow 65% against them.

Their pass rush is for real though. They have the 4th best sack percentage in football. Not sure trying to air it out deep is the best course of action. They do seem to miss a lot of tackles in open space.

I think I'd use the run and PA to get Gronk & Brate open on intermediate routes. Scotty doesn't look healthy to me. OJ sucks. AB will be on a pitch count. Should be a Rojo/Gronk game on offense.
Dread

Post by Dread »

MJW wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:04 am I'm sure some advanced metrics will pop up to dispute this point, but Brady has not been nearly as sharp on his deep balls this season as last. With Perriman, Miller, and Darden now bigger parts of the offense, that's not great.

We have to run b/c that's what the formula for success is come playoff time.

Defenses have been playing a 2-high shell against us since the Dolphins game where they put trust in their CBs Howard and Jones and we burned them all afternoon.

When it's quarters or some type of zone Brady will check it down, often to a RB. When it's 2-man w/ press man coverage like the Saints ran alot we are forced to throw into tight windows on slants and crossers.

But the most simple way to get a defense out of 2-deep Safety looks is to run it right at them. Unfortunately the Bucs offense has been too stubborn, overconfident, or impatient to do that with consistency.

The best formula to beat Brady has always been playing press man with 2 deep Safeties and hope your 4 man Dline can win the day. The Bucs should expect this and come out looking to establish the run. That will get the defense in more Cover 3/Single High looks which THEN opens up 1v1 on the outside to take shots.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 pm Carolina statistically allows the 2nd fewest passing yards per game. But they have allowed 21 TD passes to just 9 picks and allow 65% against them.

Their pass rush is for real though. They have the 4th best sack percentage in football. Not sure trying to air it out deep is the best course of action. They do seem to miss a lot of tackles in open space.

I think I'd use the run and PA to get Gronk & Brate open on intermediate routes. Scotty doesn't look healthy to me. OJ sucks. AB will be on a pitch count. Should be a Rojo/Gronk game on offense.
I hope Coach Godwin is tearing into the Oline this week and our gameplan Sunday is a heavy dose of Rojo running right at them.

Pass rushers are not nearly as effective if they are hesitating b/c they think a run is coming. Plus it sets the tone for the game for your Oline instead of passing on the first 12 plays like we do so often and get our Oline playing on their heals from the jump.

Let our Olinemen go tee off on some defenders early instead of the other way around.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Dread wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:52 pm

We have to run b/c that's what the formula for success is come playoff time.

Defenses have been playing a 2-high shell against us since the Dolphins game where they put trust in their CBs Howard and Jones and we burned them all afternoon.

When it's quarters or some type of zone Brady will check it down, often to a RB. When it's 2-man w/ press man coverage like the Saints ran alot we are forced to throw into tight windows on slants and crossers.

But the most simple way to get a defense out of 2-deep Safety looks is to run it right at them. Unfortunately the Bucs offense has been too stubborn, overconfident, or impatient to do that with consistency.

The best formula to beat Brady has always been playing press man with 2 deep Safeties and hope your 4 man Dline can win the day. The Bucs should expect this and come out looking to establish the run. That will get the defense in more Cover 3/Single High looks which THEN opens up 1v1 on the outside to take shots.
I'm going to give Leftwich, Brady, and Arians the benefit of the doubt here and assume our gameplans are going to change dramatically. Not only because of losing Godwin, but because MVP is all but lost. It was almost painful how obvious it was how much effort went into getting Brady MVP, and at times it's been at the expense of winning and the team.

We should honestly sit Evans whether he can go or not and keep Brown limited so he doesn't pull a hammy going too fast too soon. That will force the offense to adapt and go through the running game, TEs, and play action and will hopefully make us a better team in the long run for it.

Once we get Lenny and Evans back, I still don't want Brady throwing much more than 30-35 times a game. It's not the winning formula overall.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:56 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 pm Carolina statistically allows the 2nd fewest passing yards per game. But they have allowed 21 TD passes to just 9 picks and allow 65% against them.

I hope Coach Godwin is tearing into the Oline this week and our gameplan Sunday is a heavy dose of Rojo running right at them.

Pass rushers are not nearly as effective if they are hesitating b/c they think a run is coming. Plus it sets the tone for the game for your Oline instead of passing on the first 12 plays like we do so often and get our Oline playing on their heals from the jump.

Let our Olinemen go tee off on some defenders early instead of the other way around.
I know you saw but. But very early on the Saints pass rush played as if they had a 4 score lead with 6 minutes to go in the game. They were pinning their ears back, not even pretending that we would run it.

Carolina will do the same if we don't bother getting the run involved. And it's not as if we have a group of finesse Olinemen. They can get dirty when they need to. They did it in the playoffs.

We must set a different tone than the one we tried to set Sunday. Stop trying to get Brady an MVP award and get prepared for the playoffs.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:02 pm
Dread wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:56 pm

I know you saw but. But very early on the Saints pass rush played as if they had a 4 score lead with 6 minutes to go in the game. They were pinning their ears back, not even pretending that we would run it.

Carolina will do the same if we don't bother getting the run involved. And it's not as if we have a group of finesse Olinemen. They can get dirty when they need to. They did it in the playoffs.

We must set a different tone than the one we tried to set Sunday. Stop trying to get Brady an MVP award and get prepared for the playoffs.
Yup, Saints were playing alot of 3 DE's w/ just 1 DT on their 4 man Dline in addition to having Jenkins as the 3rd LB, so essentially nickel defense w/ pass rush Dline. Yet the Bucs come out passing every fucking play.

Like you said we're fortunate that we do have an Oline that can be physical. They just need the gameplan to dictate that instead of coming out passing every play when the defense is daring you to run the ball.

We always get outcoached by the Saints, it's frustrating. The Saints came in an made the game a street fight and the Bucs looked like they thought it was a 7v7 scrimmage.

I strongly believe that had the Bucs come out running the ball and setting a physical tone that game plays out very differently. But alas, we have to prove how great our passing game is so Brady can get his flowers.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I know Brady had the authority to check to run or pass at the line. If it’s him that’s constantly checking out of runs he needs to get his head out of his ass.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:28 pm I know Brady had the authority to check to run or pass at the line. If it’s him that’s constantly checking out of runs he needs to get his head out of his ass.
Yup. It's definitely on Brady.

I know offenses like to have a plan and script for the first 10-15 plays or whatever. But don't be so fucking stubborn. You see a light DLine and 3 safeties on the field check to damn run.