An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

Navybuc

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by Navybuc »

acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:34 pm Inb4 Bootz plays the race card
Damnit you beat me to it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm I don't have a problem with any player getting fully guaranteed contracts. I don't have to pay them, so not my problem. Players have been shit on for years by greedy team owners. If they can get it then get it. More power to 'em.
Any other team sport, guarantee deals are the norm
Most hated man in America.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:14 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Is it your point that giving fully guaranteed deals (plus picks in some cases) to QBs with so so track records is not such a great idea? Excellent point. Totally agree.
Except no one had issues with Cousins getting such a deal. You only heard rumblings when Watson got one and now that Lamar wants one.

In the context of the conversation you made your way into, @_MB_ here was saying Cousins put up better numbers in Washington than Watson did in Houston.
There's way too much nuance here for you but a couple of minor points. Watson had a shitload of off field issues when the Browns gave him the deal. It was also for $230mil and not $84mil.

I think the NFL is trying to avoid a situation in which all (second contract for starters) QB contracts are fully guaranteed. Thus, the next team to do so confirms it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Exactly. All eyes are on Lamar right now, especially in Philly.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:23 pm Exactly. All eyes are on Lamar right now, especially in Philly.
Right? Philly as to be praying he doesn’t land in DC.
Don't tread on me
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

The fully guaranteed contracts are certainly a slippery slope for the owners, if they really do need to front the cash and put it in escrow upfront.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

DC would be a hell of a landing spot.
I'm thinking because the Hurts deal is the next to fall. They already said they are going to extend him and he doesn't have a 5th year option. They do love him enough that if Lamar gets a fully guaranteed deal or close to it, they will likely follow suit.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

If the owners want to stop the fully guaranteed contracts then I wonder if they make it a rule, if the players union will have something to say about that? I mean if the union can bargain collectively then why can’t the owners?
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I said what I said

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Wouldn't an easier solution be to remove the stupid escrow account rule? That seems to be a big component of the guaranteed money issue and is also the easiest to fix.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:29 pm Wouldn't an easier solution be to remove the stupid escrow account rule? That seems to be a big component of the guaranteed money issue and is also the easiest to fix.
That's not a stupid rule. That ensures the player gets paid.

Can you imagine a team defaulting on a players contract?

:lol:
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:34 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:29 pm Wouldn't an easier solution be to remove the stupid escrow account rule? That seems to be a big component of the guaranteed money issue and is also the easiest to fix.

I'm trying to think of a situation where an NFL franchise would ever default on paying a player.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:51 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:34 pm

I'm trying to think of a situation where an NFL franchise would ever default on paying a player.
All teams don't have the same operating income and are pretty cash poor all things considering.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Does MLB operate the same way? Most of those contracts are guaranteed
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:09 pm Does MLB operate the same way? Most of those contracts are guaranteed
Yes. They don't have a salary cap and rely heavily on revenue sharing. It really matters how rich your owner is and how much revenue you generate.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:11 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:09 pm Does MLB operate the same way? Most of those contracts are guaranteed
Yes. They don't have a salary cap and rely heavily on revenue sharing. It really matters how rich your owner is and how much revenue you generate.
I meant specifically do they require all guaranteed $ go into escrow. I would be surprised considering the amount of guaranteed contracts.

I can’t find anything definitive. If they do, they may not have a debt ceiling though, which would allow the owners to borrow money for the escrow deposits and leverage the clubs as collateral.

The NFL has a $600 million debt ceiling.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:38 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm I don't have a problem with any player getting fully guaranteed contracts. I don't have to pay them, so not my problem. Players have been shit on for years by greedy team owners. If they can get it then get it. More power to 'em.
Any other team sport, guarantee deals are the norm
Any of the other team sports don't have the constant violent collisions that sometimes result in serious injuries.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:14 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:11 pm

I meant specifically do they require all guaranteed $ go into escrow. I would be surprised considering the amount of guaranteed contracts.

I can’t find anything definitive. If they do, they may not have a debt ceiling though, which would allow the owners to borrow money for the escrow deposits and leverage the clubs as collateral.

The NFL has a $600 million debt ceiling.
Okay got you. That I wouldn't know.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Just a thought but who would Baltimore even consider as a replacement for Jackson if he walks? Might as well be us going from Tom Brady to Kyle Trask
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:04 am Just a thought but who would Baltimore even consider as a replacement for Jackson if he walks? Might as well be us going from Tom Brady to Kyle Trask
People speak highly of Huntley for whatever reason. I guess him?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:27 am
These Are The Days wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:04 am Just a thought but who would Baltimore even consider as a replacement for Jackson if he walks? Might as well be us going from Tom Brady to Kyle Trask
People speak highly of Huntley for whatever reason. I guess him?
I've thrown around the idea of us kicking the tires on him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This makes no sense to me.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 pm This makes no sense to me.
Let's list the possibilities here:

1) The most likely answer: this is a provocative nonsense report, either written for clicks (Kleiman is not above this), or it's being sourced by the LJ camp to put pressure on teams to avoid the bad optics implied.

2) The second most likely answer: this is exactly what's happening because LJ's camp is treating a fully guaranteed contract as a requirement, and the owners are indeed making a firm stand against making such contracts the norm. Needless to say, there are some major anti-trust implications if this is the case.

3) The next most likely answer: Similarly, Lamar's "starting point" might simply be so rich that nobody is even bothering to negotiate with him until it drops. It would not be the first time this happened.

4) Other possibilities:
- There's more fire than we realized behind the "smoke" of his reported lousy attitude in recent months.
- Nobody is interested in completely overhauling their entire offense to suit him.
- The combination of the length of contract he wants and his style of play are turning teams off.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think most didn't expect it to get this far. Jets went in early on Rodgers hiring Hackett. Panthers traded up.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:17 am
Let's list the possibilities here:

1) The most likely answer: this is a provocative nonsense report, either written for clicks (Kleiman is not above this), or it's being sourced by the LJ camp to put pressure on teams to avoid the bad optics implied.

2) The second most likely answer: this is exactly what's happening because LJ's camp is treating a fully guaranteed contract as a requirement, and the owners are indeed making a firm stand against making such contracts the norm. Needless to say, there are some major anti-trust implications if this is the case.

3) The next most likely answer: Similarly, Lamar's "starting point" might simply be so rich that nobody is even bothering to negotiate with him until it drops. It would not be the first time this happened.

4) Other possibilities:
- There's more fire than we realized behind the "smoke" of his reported lousy attitude in recent months.
- Nobody is interested in completely overhauling their entire offense to suit him.
- The combination of the length of contract he wants and his style of play are turning teams off.
From what I understand teams can’t even contact Lamar yet to discuss a contract until the 15th as it would be tampering.

This is a nonsense report. Kleiman was just called out by Brady for a report involving him just a week ago.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I can't believe Lamar is the center of such a pivotal point in player-owner relations and he's without an agent.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:02 pm I can't believe Lamar is the center of such a pivotal point in player-owner relations and he's without an agent.
Yep. He’s an idiot in that regard.

An agent allows you to work gray area back channels. aka tamper without tampering. Also protect you from yourself.

This could all work out in spite of that. Or backfire.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

He might want to check in with Ricky Williams about that no agent thing
I said what I said

These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I wouldn't make him an offer without an agent either. There's a reason why players get representation like this. They know every in and out, every clause and every structure. I'm not against players negotiating their own contracts but unless Lamar Jackson is incredibly well versed, all he's going to do is say "I want this!" and when you ask "How do we make it work" he's not going to have a clue. God forbid there's an involved counter offer and he doesn't understand what he's getting in to.

I completely understand the hesitancy now. You can't talk about $200+ million without knowing EVERY. LAST. THING of what you're talking about and right now I have no way to prove what he knows.
Last edited by These Are The Days on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Surely he has an army of lawyers
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:38 pm Surely he has an army of lawyers
I would hope at least one lawyer.

And don't call me Shirley.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Seriously? Doctor…

It’s PewterReporter

nothing to see here, move along, folks
Snake

Post by Snake »

They really do just copy and paste from here.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:45 am
Oh, boy. I get to play literary critic!
The Bucs won’t be pursuing Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson as the 2023 free agency period is set to open this week.

But they should.
Tl;Dr You don't have to read this clickbait shit

But you could