An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

Snake

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by Snake »

ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:02 am I think on other thing that is possibly being overlooked is, Like with Brady, If jackson were to come here that incentivizes other players to stay and restructure to make it possible because they are elevated along with the team and stand to earn playoff or SB money where right now that future looks dim.
Wrong account bro
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 am
Backside wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:50 pmWould love it.
Ain’t happening. The chances are negative 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of him coming here.
People give it up.
Exactly
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:02 am I think on other thing that is possibly being overlooked is, Like with Brady, If jackson were to come here that incentivizes other players to stay and restructure to make it possible because they are elevated along with the team and stand to earn playoff or SB money where right now that future looks dim.
Who are you, ModX?
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 am

Ain’t happening. The chances are negative 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of him coming here.
People give it up.
Buccaneers have second-highest odds to land Lamar Jackson

https://thepewterplank.com/2023/03/08/b ... rade-odds/
That’s because we are desperate for a qb and handicappers want to link us to him. I wouldn’t take that seriously. They had Patriots as the favorite to land Brady a couple months ago and some sites still have Vegas the favorite to land Rodgers. Just listened to Rick Stroud say there’s virtually no chance it will happen.

Trust me, I would love to have Lamar but look at our cap situation! It’s impossible. We can’t even afford our practice squad guys right now. Lloyd Christmas has a better chance of marrying Mary Samsonite.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:31 am
ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 am

Buccaneers have second-highest odds to land Lamar Jackson

https://thepewterplank.com/2023/03/08/b ... rade-odds/
That’s because we are desperate for a qb and handicappers want to link us to him. I wouldn’t take that seriously. They had Patriots as the favorite to land Brady a couple months ago and some sites still have Vegas the favorite to land Rodgers. Just listened to Rick Stroud say there’s virtually no chance it will happen.

Trust me, I would love to have Lamar but look at our cap situation! It’s impossible. We can’t even afford our practice squad guys right now. Lloyd Christmas has a better chance of marrying Mary Samsonite.
If you don't think we'll get Lamar because he signs with the Ravens, goes elsewhere, or whatever other reason, that's fine. But mentioning our cap as a reason we can't sign him is just categorically incorrect.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:34 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:31 am

If you don't think we'll get Lamar because he signs with the Ravens, goes elsewhere, or whatever other reason, that's fine. But mentioning our cap as a reason we can't sign him is just categorically incorrect.
Remind me again what he wants for his contract in dollars.
Backside

Post by Backside »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:40 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:34 am

Remind me again what he wants for his contract in dollars.
It's the first post in the thread.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:20 am
Who are you, ModX?
I think that's swash
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Fully guaranteed 230,000,000 is an exercise in futility. Even Tom knew it needed to be 15 mil. for one year.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:58 am Fully guaranteed 230,000,000 is an exercise in futility. Even Tom knew it needed to be 15 mil. for one year.
If wasn’t a 1 year 15mil deal though. That’s what the cap hit was. All told, the Bucs FO shelled out exactly $97,795,588 to Brady over 3 years.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

This works in our favor imo because we weren't going to be players in FA anyway so there's no real downside to the delay vs other teams that still likely be much more active.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Lamar has stated he want to stay in Baltimore
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:16 pm

This works in our favor imo because we weren't going to be players in FA anyway so there's no real downside to the delay vs other teams that still likely be much more active.
What other QBs would a team be “missing out on”? Carson Wentz? Jimmy G? Shit, Blaine Gabbert?? Yea I’d take my chances waiting out the process by signing Lamar to a sheet. Plus waiting 5 days is hardly knocking a team out of FA. Ian is being overly dramatic here yet again.
Last edited by Bootz on Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How much money do the Raiders still owe Derek Carr?
Snake

Post by Snake »

a lot of this is dependent on Lamar’s motivation to play for the ravens again. If he’s absolutely hellbent on playing for Detroit or Tampa, or whoever, he can really make life difficult for the ravens. Or maybe it’s all about the money. It’s impossible to know. My guess is it’s all about the money and he’ll play wherever.

I think if you’re a tea looking to make a legitimate bid on Lamar, there is no game theory loss from calling up the ravens and telling them your intentions and the contract you plan on offering. Let us sign Lamar. You get the two first round picks. Will also send you a third round pick for some bum. As a little kick in addition. I don’t think there’s anything in the rulebook against any of that.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:22 pm

a lot of this is dependent on Lamar’s motivation to play for the ravens again. If he’s absolutely hellbent on playing for Detroit or Tampa, or whoever, he can really make life difficult for the ravens. Or maybe it’s all about the money. It’s impossible to know. My guess is it’s all about the money and he’ll play wherever.

I think if you’re a tea looking to make a legitimate bid on Lamar, there is no game theory loss from calling up the ravens and telling them your intentions and the contract you plan on offering. Let us sign Lamar. You get the two first round picks. Will also send you a third round pick for some bum. As a little kick in addition. I don’t think there’s anything in the rulebook against any of that.
That would be a very smart move to speed up the process.

Also I’d give Baltimore the benefit of the doubt. If they don’t plan to match the offer they’ll know immediately and would be best served to take the 2 1sts as quickly as possible. I don’t think they’d wait an entire 5 days. That’s petty, childish and it only shows everyone how immature you are as an organization.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Is an offer sheet same as a contract?

So...hypothetical. A team (not BAL) makes an offer and BAL declines to match. The language in the contract isn't exactly what Lamar wants, so he takes until July to finally sign, or he never actually signs bc of debated language. By that point, BAL would have used the first rounder from the other team..is there any recourse, or is this hypothetical impossible?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I also just thought about something. If a team wants to deal for Lamar, they might try a little Derek Carr swindle. Talk to the team, have a handshake agreement that you'll sign him and wait until after the draft. Baltimore wouldn't get a 1st until 2024. This would be very smart for a team like Atlanta or Indy to do if they didn't believe in any of the QBs available. Take a great player top 10 or trade back, get more ammo, go through draft weekend and sign Lamar on Monday.

Another reason Baltimore has no leverage in this situation because now not only do they have to wait until 2024 to get a 1st, they don't have a QB.

Can you imagine if we drafted someone like Bijon Robinson or Harrison at 19 and still got Lamar Jackson afterwards? The picks in 2024 & 2025 will likely be low 1sts. Totally worth it. Same for Atlanta or Indy.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:18 pm Lamar has stated he want to stay in Baltimore
What's he supposed to say? "Fuck Baltimore! This place is a shithole."
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:56 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:18 pm Lamar has stated he want to stay in Baltimore
You think he wants to play fur the Bucs? You’re delusional
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Deja Entendu wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:53 pm Jackson has played a full season once in 5 seasons, and it was his rookie year. He’s coming off back to back seasons where he’s missed the end of the year/playoff and his last three season all ended with him being unable to play. There’s a reason to be concerned about his durability.
This is very misleading. 2019 & 2020, he played 15 out of 16 games and only missed the final game of the year because the Ravens had playoffs wrapped up and sat most of their starters. He played in the playoffs both of those years so it wasn't like he was injured. The Ravens simply didn't care about some meaningless accolade of playing all 16 games.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:28 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:56 pm
You think he wants to play fur the Bucs? You’re delusional
I never said that. If you think I did, you're the delusional one.

Edit: Truth be told, I don't give a shit if he plays here or not. If he does. Great. If he doesn't. Oh well. Moving on. For what it's worth, my vote in the OP poll was 'no'.
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

acmillis wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:45 pm Is an offer sheet same as a contract?

So...hypothetical. A team (not BAL) makes an offer and BAL declines to match. The language in the contract isn't exactly what Lamar wants, so he takes until July to finally sign, or he never actually signs bc of debated language. By that point, BAL would have used the first rounder from the other team..is there any recourse, or is this hypothetical impossible?
I think the term sheet is pretty binding.

The rules have changed with this issue over time. There was a time when the signing team would put essentially a "poison pill" in the offer sheet to make it nearly impossible for the original team to match. Steve Hutchinson's an example of this. I think those types of details within the offer sheet were outlawed some time ago.

Most of this conversation is pretty useless I believe. Ravens will match. They just don't want to be the confirming team on the guaranteed contract for QBs wagon.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:53 pm I also just thought about something. If a team wants to deal for Lamar, they might try a little Derek Carr swindle. Talk to the team, have a handshake agreement that you'll sign him and wait until after the draft. Baltimore wouldn't get a 1st until 2024. This would be very smart for a team like Atlanta or Indy to do if they didn't believe in any of the QBs available. Take a great player top 10 or trade back, get more ammo, go through draft weekend and sign Lamar on Monday.

Another reason Baltimore has no leverage in this situation because now not only do they have to wait until 2024 to get a 1st, they don't have a QB.

Can you imagine if we drafted someone like Bijon Robinson or Harrison at 19 and still got Lamar Jackson afterwards? The picks in 2024 & 2025 will likely be low 1sts. Totally worth it. Same for Atlanta or Indy.
Teams aren’t going to bypass free agency and the draft on an I hope we get Lamar handshake deal that Baltimore can just match anyway.

And I don’t know what they are but there are certainly rules/deadlines in place to prevent anything like that anyway.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:53 pm I also just thought about something. If a team wants to deal for Lamar, they might try a little Derek Carr swindle. Talk to the team, have a handshake agreement that you'll sign him and wait until after the draft. Baltimore wouldn't get a 1st until 2024. This would be very smart for a team like Atlanta or Indy to do if they didn't believe in any of the QBs available. Take a great player top 10 or trade back, get more ammo, go through draft weekend and sign Lamar on Monday.

Teams aren’t going to bypass free agency and the draft on an I hope we get Lamar handshake deal that Baltimore can just match anyway.

And I don’t know what they are but there are certainly rules/deadlines in place to prevent anything like that anyway.
No there is no timeline on how long a team can wait to sign a franchised player to an offer sheet. Plus if it's more than Baltimore offered, what are the chances they'd match? They would've offered him more in the 1st place.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Harrison?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:12 pm

Harrison?
Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma.
ModX

Post by ModX »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:43 am
Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:20 am

Who are you, ModX?
I think that's swash
Not even close.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:19 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:43 am

I think that's swash
Not even close.
PM then
ModX

Post by ModX »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:19 pm
ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:19 pm

Not even close.
PM then
Negative - you used up all your guesses though.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lamar in Tampa.

That would be a crazy thing!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:21 pm

PM then
Damn. I'll play again next week.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

ModX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:21 pm

PM then
Reported for misuse of user IDs.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:23 pm Lamar in Tampa.

I’ll go on record as being against it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:07 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:23 pm Lamar in Tampa.

I’ll go on record as being against it.
Why