An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

Snake

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by Snake »

acmillis wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:59 pm How much say do you all think Dave Canales has in us pursuing LJ? You'd really hope that he'd have a good amount of input on his personnel.
This is an ownership level decision, given the $ involved and assets. I’m sure he’d love it though.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

acmillis wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:59 pm How much say do you all think Dave Canales has in us pursuing LJ? You'd really hope that he'd have a good amount of input on his personnel.
I imagine he’d love the chance to work with Lamar Jackson
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:56 pm Some of y'all getting excited over this possibility will need to be put on suicide watch when it doesn't happen. lol
Remember FavreWatch?
I think the old Brett Favre thread may be the longest thread in forum history.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:49 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:56 pm Some of y'all getting excited over this possibility will need to be put on suicide watch when it doesn't happen. lol
Remember FavreWatch?
I think the old Brett Favre thread may be the longest thread in forum history.
To be fair, there’s some vindication in that story. Vikings Favre could fucking sling it.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:45 pm That's a three year set back Cheb.
The only type of setback with Lamar Jackson on the Bucs I foresee would be if he gets consistently or long-term injured, and we have to pay him a quarter billion dollars to hang out on the trainer's table. I mean from a draft perspective we would be without a first round pick for awhile I guess, but to have a Franchise Quarterback I'd be okay with that.

I'd be okay with Lamar here and okay if he weren't. We will see what happens.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Lamar has had nicks here and there. Nothing major or long term that required reconstruction like Murray or Burrow's torn ACLs or Tua's concussions.

Aaron Rodgers gets nicked all the time and you never hear concerns about his injuries.

No 1st until 2025? If that's all we lost to get a franchise QB we should be laughing. Teams have given up way more for way less.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Exactly. You could maybe argue for the Falcons or Panthers giving up a top 10 pick...

but at 19? And a likely late one next year? Pfffft.... peanuts.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lamar wasn’t physically ready for back-to-back playoff runs. 5 games missed in back to back seasons. And at the worst possible time for many of those.

It’ll cost him some money. But not all of it.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:19 pm Lamar has had nicks here and there. Nothing major or long term that required reconstruction like Murray or Burrow's torn ACLs or Tua's concussions.
Agreed
Aaron Rodgers gets nicked all the time and you never hear concerns about his injuries.
Jackson has played a full season once in 5 seasons, and it was his rookie year. He’s coming off back to back seasons where he’s missed the end of the year/playoff and his last three season all ended with him being unable to play. There’s a reason to be concerned about his durability.

Rodgers meanwhile has only missed more than one game in a season twice in his 16 years as a starter. That was a bad comparison.
No 1st until 2025? If that's all we lost to get a franchise QB we should be laughing. Teams have given up way more for way less.
Also agree.

Lamar does make me nervous with his durability and stable of play, but if it’s workable why not roll the dice and try and win now (again)??

It’ll cost more capital to trade up for Young, and for as good as he could be (and I believe he will) it’s still a gamble too.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Ok, I'll play along because who would have thought we'd get Tom Brady.....

First, the injury thing doesn't bother me because any QB can get injured like any other player. It would suck if it were the highest paid player, but it's football.

He has more weapons in TB than he's ever had, and therefore doesn't need to carry the Team. That means more longevity.

Concern or Bonus - So I am not sure what LJ is from a passer viewpoint. Is he better slinging it long or just play catch? Our new OC seems to be ok with simple throws, keep the chains moving, but Lamar seems to be a big play type QB. Again, that may be because he had NOBODY other than a TE to throw to. So it was a No Risk It NO .....you get it.

Personally, if it's feasible, I'd go all in on this because if this is about money, we're about to lose it all anyway in an empty stadium with garbage for home games next year.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

1 thing we know about the Glazers, whether you like them or not, they'll do what they can to get asses in seats. Big splashes in FA like Tom Brady, Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones. Big trades like Darrelle Revis, even coming off of a torn ACL and giving up a 1st or Gronk coming out of retirement. Drafting a "popular" Florida State QB 1st overall. Trading for a popular HC after he's retired.

The Glazers will go above and beyond to try and win. So for that reason alone, I'm not counting the Bucs out on LJ.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:35 pm 1 thing we know about the Glazers, whether you like them or not, they'll do what they can to get asses in seats. Big splashes in FA like Tom Brady, Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones. Big trades like Darrelle Revis, even coming off of a torn ACL and giving up a 1st or Gronk coming out of retirement. Drafting a "popular" Florida State QB 1st overall. Trading for a popular HC after he's retired.

The Glazers will go above and beyond to try and win. So for that reason alone, I'm not counting the Bucs out on LJ.
- wildcard owners
- Lamar wanting to play in Florida
- Kyle effing Trask being the current QB

According to the posted odds, Vegas must see these factors too.

The Lions being #1 odds on (non-ravens) favorite is interesting to me. Goff had a good season, statistically. He’s not Lamar, obviously, but that would be surprising to me. They flush with cash space?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:45 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:35 pm 1 thing we know about the Glazers, whether you like them or not, they'll do what they can to get asses in seats. Big splashes in FA like Tom Brady, Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones. Big trades like Darrelle Revis, even coming off of a torn ACL and giving up a 1st or Gronk coming out of retirement. Drafting a "popular" Florida State QB 1st overall. Trading for a popular HC after he's retired.

- wildcard owners

The Lions being #1 odds on (non-ravens) favorite is interesting to me. Goff had a good season, statistically. He’s not Lamar, obviously, but that would be surprising to me. They flush with cash space?
Outside of cap issues we make as much sense as anyone. Like who makes more sense than us?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I’d love LJ but we can’t afford him and can’t give up the compensation other teams can. He’s most likely to go to Detroit who have the picks, the cash, and need a qb as bad as we do. Or Atlanta who have millions of cash to spend and better draft picks.

Get over it, folks…he ain’t coming here. Stop trying to make something impossible seem possible. As I said before, there’s a better chance Tom Brady unretires and signs with Houston than Lamar Jackson coming here. Even Rich Eisen said the Bucs don’t have anywhere close to the money to pull it off.
Last edited by Navybuc on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:23 pm

- wildcard owners

Outside of cap issues we make as much sense as anyone. Like who makes more sense than us?
Atlanta would but apparently they don't have interest so 🤷🏿‍♂️
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

- wildcard owners

Outside of cap issues….
Yeah, well, you see….that’s kind of a problem.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This alone would give me incentive to make a move.

Backside

Post by Backside »

Would love it.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I wonder how much Lamar's injuries would decrease if he was in an offense that didn't ask him to do as many designed QB runs. He ran power concepts a large number of times with the Ravens.

If we get him and use his legs more to move the pocket and tackle cheap yard when they are there instead of relying on them as Plan-A for getting first downs, maybe he'd stay healthier. Just saying.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:57 pm I wonder how much Lamar's injuries would decrease if he was in an offense that didn't ask him to do as many designed QB runs. He ran power concepts a large number of times with the Ravens.

If we get him and use his legs more to move the pocket and tackle cheap yard when they are there instead of relying on them as Plan-A for getting first downs, maybe he'd stay healthier. Just saying.
I always felt the Ravens did him a disservice by not utilizing him more as a QB than they did. Yes, we know he can make plays with his legs. But he's very underrated as a passer because of how they used him.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:32 pm

While I agree, my guess is all those teams in the top ten are eyeing a trade up for a QB.

And that’s kind of my point. You have like 20 teams who are committed to and paying a QB already. You’ve got the 5 teams who don’t have their pick. You’ve got 5 other teams who are saying they are out already. And then you’ve got teams like the Jets (Rodgers) or the Texans/Colts (draft) who are about to land a QB. What teams are left? Basically just us and the Ravens lol
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:01 pm
Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:57 pm I wonder how much Lamar's injuries would decrease if he was in an offense that didn't ask him to do as many designed QB runs. He ran power concepts a large number of times with the Ravens.

I always felt the Ravens did him a disservice by not utilizing him more as a QB than they did. Yes, we know he can make plays with his legs. But he's very underrated as a passer because of how they used him.
That never made a lick of sense to me. He was launching balls all over Louisville. FSU fans remember.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Interesting to note:

Lamar Jackson is only 1 year older than Kyle Trask.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Backside wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:50 pmWould love it.
Ain’t happening. The chances are negative 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of him coming here.
People give it up.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:30 am Interesting to note:

Lamar Jackson is only 1 year older than Kyle Trask.
Kyle Trask had his guaranteed money paid off in one year.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:27 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:32 pm

While I agree, my guess is all those teams in the top ten are eyeing a trade up for a QB.

And that’s kind of my point. You have like 20 teams who are committed to and paying a QB already. You’ve got the 5 teams who don’t have their pick. You’ve got 5 other teams who are saying they are out already. And then you’ve got teams like the Jets (Rodgers) or the Texans/Colts (draft) who are about to land a QB. What teams are left? Basically just us and the Ravens lol
Washington as well but for whatever reason they bowed out early.

We'll see in the next few days what direction we go. No way this FO believes Kyle Trask and some journeyman off the street is good enough to compete the playoffs.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:13 am

We'll see in the next few days what direction we go. No way this FO believes Kyle Trask and some journeyman off the street is good enough to compete the playoffs.
Apparently teams can’t contact Lamar Jackson until March 15th or it’s tampering, so we’re gonna have to wait a week for any real updates.

But gives Licht a week to see if he can make it work and if it would be worth it. But if the asset cost is just two mid/late first rounders then that’s tough to pass on.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Licht: Hold My Beer

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:33 am

Licht: Hold My Beer

Dude, you’ll be disappointed tho

Carson Wentz most likely will be Bucs

Dang
ModX

Post by ModX »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:10 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:45 pm That's a three year set back Cheb.
The only type of setback with Lamar Jackson on the Bucs I foresee would be if he gets consistently or long-term injured, and we have to pay him a quarter billion dollars to hang out on the trainer's table. I mean from a draft perspective we would be without a first round pick for awhile I guess, but to have a Franchise Quarterback I'd be okay with that.

I'd be okay with Lamar here and okay if he weren't. We will see what happens.
I thought if a player got hurt their salaries etc did not count against the cap? Am I wrong here?

And while I care our team would be without our starting QB, if it doesn’t count against the cap then I could not possibly care less that he gets paid for his injuries out of the money the owners make. Act like a business get treated like a business
ModX

Post by ModX »

This is a good take
ModX

Post by ModX »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 am
Ain’t happening. The chances are negative 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of him coming here.
People give it up.
Buccaneers have second-highest odds to land Lamar Jackson

https://thepewterplank.com/2023/03/08/b ... rade-odds/
Backside

Post by Backside »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 am
People give it up.
Far far far far far more unlikely things have happened. Quite the number you pulled out there though.
ModX

Post by ModX »

I think on other thing that is possibly being overlooked is, Like with Brady, If jackson were to come here that incentivizes other players to stay and restructure to make it possible because they are elevated along with the team and stand to earn playoff or SB money where right now that future looks dim.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

My opinion is fully guaranteed is bad for a football team.

Performance and accountability agree with me.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.