An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

Grahamburn

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:10 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:39 am

You don't have to collude to know it's bad business to pay ridiculous guaranteed money to a QB that relies on his legs for a large majority of his production. Not to mention two first round picks for the pleasure.
Then what you're really saying is that investing anything in Lamar Jackson is a bad business decision. Even if he takes a "reasonable" offer with "only" like $100-150 in guaranteed money, the Ravens are still on the hook financially until like the 4th year of his deal. So what the Ravens are saying is that they don't trust he's going to be worth the money in year 4 or 5?

And if he's so risky, then why sign him to any deal? Is it going to somehow be better if he's injured in 2023 or 2024 knowing that oh boy in 2026 the Ravens can get out of the contract?

Just seems dumb to me. Of course the other component of this is the really stupid escrow rule for guaranteed money which should just be abolished. The owners aren't going to be able to back out of paying a player as is with so many contracts in place so the idea that large sums of liquid cash needs to be put into escrow is just a deterrent for big guaranteed deals like Lamar is after.
I definitely did not say investing anything in Lamar is a bad business decision. Signing him to a deal with more money in it than Watson's, which is clearly what he wants because he hasn't signed anything, is an extremely bad business decision and also detrimental to the rest of your football team. I personally think the Ravens have handled this perfectly. Lamar is coming off looking like a greedy dope that doesn't care about winning and the rest of the NFL has noticed.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Couldn't disagree more. Sure, had they actually managed to win a SB, screwing over their franchise guy could've been seen as brilliant. But the Ravens fumbled this badly and are scrambling.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I mean Lamar could've been under contract years ago at a much cheaper rate had the Ravens not dragged their feet. So it's their fault in the first place that they're on the verge of losing their franchise QB.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I've said this a few times, but maybe the Ravens don't see him as a franchise guy. You all just assume they do because he won an MVP three years ago and puts up gaudy fantasy stats.

How'd the "screw him over?" They drafted him as a QB when nobody else thought he'd be a successful one. They were smart enough to make him a first round pick so they got an extra year on him so he could develop. They developed him. They built an entire offense around his strengths. Then they made him a lucrative extension offer, which HE rejected after 3 straight years of diminishing statistics, injuries, and zero playoff success.

If anything, he's screwing them over because he's being greedy by not understanding his true value.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

HE'S NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

He did his duty. He played out his deal, when he could've easily held out and no one would've blamed it. He didn't. He played the last two years making a fraction of what non-MVP QBs of his draft class were making.

Take the tag off and we'll all see just what his true market value is real quick.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Put another way. The Ravens couldn't win with him on his rookie deal. It's not going to be any easier to win with him paying him $50M a year.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

True. But it's going to be a lot harder to win at all without Lamar.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 am Put another way. The Ravens couldn't win with him on his rookie deal. It's not going to be any easier to win with him paying him $50M a year.
It would be unwise for any team to pay one player 20% of the salary cap.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:08 am HE'S NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

He did his duty. He played out his deal, when he could've easily held out and no one would've blamed it. He didn't. He played the last two years making a fraction of what non-MVP QBs of his draft class were making.

Take the tag off and we'll all see just what his true market value is real quick.
What's your point? The Ravens shouldn't use the tag because he rejected their offers for extensions and technically played out his deal? He didn't, really. He got hurt two years in a row and couldn't finish those seasons and his team suffered for it. Football isn't played in a vacuum. Actually being available to play in your team's games is important to your value. Maybe the Ravens are taking that into consideration? Using a tag on him is one of the resources at their disposal. Of course they're going to use it. Lamar should have considered that when he was rejecting their offers.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:11 am True. But it's going to be a lot harder to win at all without Lamar.
They've won one playoff game with him in 5 years. On his rookie deal.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:08 am HE'S NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

Well, duh. Of course. But I bet it wouldn't be $200M+ guaranteed and it definitely wouldn't include 2 1st round draft picks.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

At the end of the day Lamar WILL get a fat contract. There is no universe where that doesn't happen. Ravens are playing chicken with themselves.
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:39 am Thing is the longer this goes the better it is for 31 teams.

Not even talking about the QB contract stuff. The tag is a powerful tool for GMs to screw over their players but the QB is the one position that can fight back. It's one thing to set aside $10M for a RB or $18M for a CB but $32M+ is season altering. Sure, some fans will try to hate on Lamar, but at the end of the day he's not under contract.

Ravens had had a top 3 scoring defense and 10+ wins in 4 of the last 5 years. Imagine throwing it all away and then trying to play the victim because your forceful coercion isn't going smoothly.

The Ravens are effectively holding themselves hostage and everyone knows it. With every passing day the situation gets worse and worse for the Ravens and better for everyone else. The noose gets even tighter after the draft.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:42 am At the end of the day Lamar WILL get a fat contract. There is no universe where that doesn't happen. Ravens are playing chicken with themselves.
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:39 am Thing is the longer this goes the better it is for 31 teams.

Not even talking about the QB contract stuff. The tag is a powerful tool for GMs to screw over their players but the QB is the one position that can fight back. It's one thing to set aside $10M for a RB or $18M for a CB but $32M+ is season altering. Sure, some fans will try to hate on Lamar, but at the end of the day he's not under contract.

Ravens had had a top 3 scoring defense and 10+ wins in 4 of the last 5 years. Imagine throwing it all away and then trying to play the victim because your forceful coercion isn't going smoothly.

The Ravens are effectively holding themselves hostage and everyone knows it. With every passing day the situation gets worse and worse for the Ravens and better for everyone else. The noose gets even tighter after the draft.
Not arguing he won't get a fat contract. I'm sure he will as well. If Lamar doesn't sign the tender and just sits out the Ravens will sign and start Huntley, which is basically what they've had to do the last two years with Lamar under contract and hurt anyway.

Eventually he'll either be a Raven or they'll get two first round picks from some team willing to nuke their future to pay him a ridiculous contract. I don't see how the Ravens are being held hostage in any way, but it's a matter of perspective. We can agree to see things differently.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The question is whether he’s getting a fat deal or a morbidly obese one. He seems to be upset about the former.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The draft picks Ravens would get become less valuable after the draft. If he's getting signed away sooner is better than later.

Ravens are holding $32M of their own cap hostage. Just to screw over their QB.
That could go a long way to retooling the roster but no, let's just put it towards Lamar not signing elsewhere

And then to not even damage control and get SOMETHING out of this botched situation...

No $32M
No Lamar
No compensation

Yeah, that's a smart franchise. Even better when they have to decide to do it all again next year or cut their losses.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I sure wish someone would screw me over by paying me $32m to sit at home.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Obsolete wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:22 pm I sure wish someone would screw me over by paying me $32m to sit at home.
Shit. I'd do it for $30m.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:32 pm
Obsolete wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:22 pm I sure wish someone would screw me over by paying me $32m to sit at home.
Shit. I'd do it for $30m.
I guess I'm a cheap date, I'd do it for $5M
Kress

Post by Kress »

I'm in for tree fiddy.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

They're not actually paying him the money, but at the same time can't use it anywhere else should he sign the tag.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:09 pm The draft picks Ravens would get become less valuable after the draft. If he's getting signed away sooner is better than later.

Ravens are holding $32M of their own cap hostage. Just to screw over their QB.
That could go a long way to retooling the roster but no, let's just put it towards Lamar not signing elsewhere

And then to not even damage control and get SOMETHING out of this botched situation...

No $32M
No Lamar
No compensation

Yeah, that's a smart franchise. Even better when they have to decide to do it all again next year or cut their losses.
They are not screwing anyone... Latard did this to himself.

They are playing this smart and seeing the long view... it's not like this clown is going to lead them to multiple Superbowl's. He can't even stay healthy enough to finish a season anymore or worse chooses to sit out when the team needed him.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Has Licht made any statement regarding Jackson? Seems like every team that could be interested in trading for Jackson has made some sort of statement to the contrary but I've yet to hear anything from OBP.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:15 am Has Licht made any statement regarding Jackson? Seems like every team that could be interested in trading for Jackson has made some sort of statement to the contrary but I've yet to hear anything from OBP.
Why would he?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:15 am Has Licht made any statement regarding Jackson? Seems like every team that could be interested in trading for Jackson has made some sort of statement to the contrary but I've yet to hear anything from OBP.
If they're not interested, what is there for them to say? Just go on about their business.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bowles said something to the effect of, "We're hard up against it (the cap), we're trying to shed money, and he's going to be paid a ton."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:23 am
Bowles said something to the effect of, "We're hard up against it (the cap), we're trying to shed money, and he's going to be paid a ton."
Nuh-uh! It's collusion! Stop trying to change reality. /s
Don't tread on me
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Digital_Damage wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:13 am
Why would he?
I don't know, why did like 4 teams completely unprovoked come out and say they had no interest in perusing Jackson the second he got tagged?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I wasn't aware he made a comment on Jackson. Thank you.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:25 am

Nuh-uh! It's collusion! Stop trying to change reality. /s
It is collusion. Please stop.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Usually teams with a 0% chance of signing someone don’t comment on said player.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Usually you don't want to comment period.

Every word is given up leverage of some sort.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:37 am

Why would he?
I don't know, why did like 4 teams completely unprovoked come out and say they had no interest in perusing Jackson the second he got tagged?
It was not unprompted.
They were asked questions by retarded reporters, just like Bowles was.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Why would he?
Which 4 teams? Link?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:40 pm

Which 4 teams? Link?
It was actually 5 initially

Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Anybody left after the Panthers, Texans, and Colts all choose QBs in the top 5?