An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

GreatTimes

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:18 pm Ravens won't match a Watson offer.
If that were true, that means no team wants LJ at his salary demands.
If a team in the top 5 of the draft wanted LJ, they would in reality only lose 1 first round draft pick since they would use one pick to select a QB. Losing one first round pick to sign LJ would be safer than using a first round pick on an untested rookie QB. QB's have a high failure rate in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Jackson has officially requested a trade:

Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s a quasi-free agent though.

Maybe teams are telling him the 1RP’s are just too much + his huge contract.

Reality has smacked LJ in the face.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:02 am Jackson has officially requested a trade:

That's the thing though. He can go anywhere he wants... for two first round picks, and assuming the Ravens wouldn't match the offer sheet. But I guess no one wants to pay that price.

Lamar has handled this quite poorly, imo. One wonders if there would have been this much drama if he had an agent to smooth things out for him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

“Let me personally answer your questions”

Answers no questions.

Lamar botched this.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I always hate it when this happens. Once you start going above certain numbers everyone starts getting accused of being greedy and everyone's reputation suffers; both player and team alike. I really hope this isn't laying down the groundwork for a work stoppage one day.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:22 pm I always hate it when this happens. Once you start going above certain numbers everyone starts getting accused of being greedy and everyone's reputation suffers; both player and team alike. I really hope this isn't laying down the groundwork for a work stoppage one day.
You’re young. You’ll survive it. lol
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:02 am Jackson has officially requested a trade:

I'm not sure this is helping his negotiating with any team whatsoever, however what is this guys point? Any team who wants him can "trade" for him right now.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Poor John. Dude even brought up Ukraine.

Here's the thing with Lamar botching this... it still works out for him. At the end of the day someone is going to pay Lamar. Whether or not it's a Watson deal is really unimportant, it will be freaking huge. Lamar will be filthy rich. That IS going to happen no matter how bad Lamar messes this up.

Meanwhile, it's everyone in the FO of the Ravens are toying with getting fired depending on how bad this goes.
Worst case no one trades and Lamar sits, you don't think the franchise is going to start taking actual, real-life revenue hits? Imagine the Ravens opening up 1-6. And this will all be because they are trying to force Lamar to sign a shitty one year rip off.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:48 pm

I'm not sure this is helping his negotiating with any team whatsoever, however what is this guys point? Any team who wants him can "trade" for him right now.
This is what you call desperation.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:48 pm

Yep... all the truth is starting to come out now.

Ravens offered him a contract that was quite lucrative. He wanted Watson money, anything else that he has said is clearly bullshit.
He got injured then decided to punish the Ravens by sitting out the playoffs.

Multiple poor choices have followed.

Win now teams are interested in him, but not interested in being shackled to him long term or at the expense of the future. I'm sure they have all told him this.

It is shaping up that his only options are, go back to the Ravens (do they really even still want him) or sit out.

He bluffed a bunch, he was called. Now he is fucked.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The Ravens should call the Colts and propose a sign and trade package with LJ going to the Colts in return for the 4th pick in this years draft. Colts get a QB and the Ravens can pick up a QB with the 4th pick.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

He better hope teams don't give him the Colin Kaepernick treatment.
Don't tread on me
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 pm

Poor John. Dude even brought up Ukraine.

Here's the thing with Lamar botching this... it still works out for him. At the end of the day someone is going to pay Lamar. Whether or not it's a Watson deal is really unimportant, it will be freaking huge. Lamar will be filthy rich. That IS going to happen no matter how bad Lamar messes this up.

Meanwhile, it's everyone in the FO of the Ravens are toying with getting fired depending on how bad this goes.
Worst case no one trades and Lamar sits, you don't think the franchise is going to start taking actual, real-life revenue hits? Imagine the Ravens opening up 1-6. And this will all be because they are trying to force Lamar to sign a shitty one year rip off.
This show a total lack of what the fan base in Baltimore is like or how the teams earn most of their revenue.

The Ravens are in Prime position... the only threat they face is if he sits out. But I don't see that happening.

The Ravens will be better in the long term for this.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:01 pm The Ravens should call the Colts and propose a sign and trade package with LJ going to the Colts in return for the 4th pick in this years draft. Colts get a QB and the Ravens can pick up a QB with the 4th pick.
They are not going to go lower than two first round picks a Trade would actually be a higher asking price.
These Are The Days

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:41 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:22 pm I always hate it when this happens. Once you start going above certain numbers everyone starts getting accused of being greedy and everyone's reputation suffers; both player and team alike. I really hope this isn't laying down the groundwork for a work stoppage one day.
You’re young. You’ll survive it. lol
It's not me I'm worried about. I just don't want to see guys who actually rely on this as a way to feed their families get hurt by a few owners and players
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

IMO the Jets should go all in for Lamar if the Jets and the Packers can’t agree on Rodgers trade.

The Jets didn’t want to give up lucky #13 draft pick.

Cmon Lions
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Honestly Lamar should've been Jets plan A. Full Watson deal. Move on.

Miami post draft could be dangerous.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:38 pm Honestly Lamar should've been Jets plan A. Full Watson deal. Move on.
Yep. Rodgers has already stated he has no plans to play well into his 40s. Well he'll be 40 in less than 9 months. The Jets window would probably be smaller than ours was with Brady. He's 14 years older than Lamar, trade compensation would probably be similar, Contract might be similar as well.

Jets are definitely going after the wrong league MVP at this stage.
Most hated man in America.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:21 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:38 pm Honestly Lamar should've been Jets plan A. Full Watson deal. Move on.
Yep. Rodgers has already stated he has no plans to play well into his 40s. Well he'll be 40 in less than 9 months. The Jets window would probably be smaller than ours was with Brady. He's 14 years older than Lamar, trade compensation would probably be similar, Contract might be similar as well.

My God how time flies. The last time I checked his age he was like 33 and I said "Oh he's got some time left" and I thought that was just a few years ago.
These Are The Days

Jackson could work in Detroit but the thing is the Lions either need to do it or just get back to draft preparation. They don't have time to sit around and contemplate this. They know exactly what they're getting.

God help us all if the Vikings ever figured out a way out of Kirk Cousins and got Jackson instead
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:21 pm

My God how time flies. The last time I checked his age he was like 33 and I said "Oh he's got some time left" and I thought that was just a few years ago.
He’s currently the oldest active player in the NFL. Could change if Robbie Gould, Jason Peters or Andy Lee sign with a team. But as it stands no player is older than A-Rod.
Most hated man in America.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

13 days into free agency and Lamar hasn't received on contract offer. There are probably a few people who are starting to scream collusion, but the fact is every owner can independently decide that Lamar is just not worth the cost of his contract demands with the cost of 2 first round draft picks.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

If I were to wager on it, I say he ends up in Atl. I’ve been saying for a while that it seems like the best fit for him, and Baltimore would prolly prefer to deal him to NFC team. Detroit would a good fit for him, too, with two good RBs there.
Snake

Post by Snake »

These Are The Days

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:17 pm 13 days into free agency and Lamar hasn't received on contract offer. There are probably a few people who are starting to scream collusion, but the fact is every owner can independently decide that Lamar is just not worth the cost of his contract demands with the cost of 2 first round draft picks.
I wouldn't call it collusion at all. If Jackson is trying to be the highest paid player in the NFL I say "Hard pass" and go on with my day. Whoever you are, you're not better than Patrick Mahomes and worth more than what he's making
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Given that the Falcons were in on the Watson trade last year until the end, yet they have no interest in trading less for Jackson who is both more accomplished and has zero off the field baggage is evidence enough of league wide collusion.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:59 am Given that the Falcons were in on the Watson trade last year until the end, yet they have no interest in trading less for Jackson who is both more accomplished and has zero off the field baggage is evidence enough of league wide collusion.
This is sarcasm, right?
Don't tread on me
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:10 am
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:59 am Given that the Falcons were in on the Watson trade last year until the end, yet they have no interest in trading less for Jackson who is both more accomplished and has zero off the field baggage is evidence enough of league wide collusion.
This is sarcasm, right?
No? Why would it be? The league is openly colluding against Lamar Jackson. Where's the sarcasm?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

GB trades AROD to Jets for a first rounder (and MAYBE something else, a second/third as well?)
GB turns around and trades FOR Jackson with one of their own first rounders and the first rounder they just acquired from NYJ. They know they can afford a monster deal because AROD has one right now.

What say you?
Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:13 am

This is sarcasm, right?
No? Why would it be? The league is openly colluding against Lamar Jackson. Where's the sarcasm?
I think things open up post-draft. Teams are always willing to give up picks in drafts they’ve scouted less.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:26 am

I think things open up post-draft. Teams are always willing to give up picks in drafts they’ve scouted less.
For sure, and Lamar has zero incentive to try and negotiate a trade pre-draft, even if just out of spite for the Ravens.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

This is sarcasm, right?
You don't have to collude to know it's bad business to pay ridiculous guaranteed money to a QB that relies on his legs for a large majority of his production. Not to mention two first round picks for the pleasure.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:39 am

You don't have to collude to know it's bad business to pay ridiculous guaranteed money to a QB that relies on his legs for a large majority of his production. Not to mention two first round picks for the pleasure.
Then what you're really saying is that investing anything in Lamar Jackson is a bad business decision. Even if he takes a "reasonable" offer with "only" like $100-150 in guaranteed money, the Ravens are still on the hook financially until like the 4th year of his deal. So what the Ravens are saying is that they don't trust he's going to be worth the money in year 4 or 5?

And if he's so risky, then why sign him to any deal? Is it going to somehow be better if he's injured in 2023 or 2024 knowing that oh boy in 2026 the Ravens can get out of the contract?

Just seems dumb to me. Of course the other component of this is the really stupid escrow rule for guaranteed money which should just be abolished. The owners aren't going to be able to back out of paying a player as is with so many contracts in place so the idea that large sums of liquid cash needs to be put into escrow is just a deterrent for big guaranteed deals like Lamar is after.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Thing is the longer this goes the better it is for 31 teams.

Not even talking about the QB contract stuff. The tag is a powerful tool for GMs to screw over their players but the QB is the one position that can fight back. It's one thing to set aside $10M for a RB or $18M for a CB but $32M+ is season altering. Sure, some fans will try to hate on Lamar, but at the end of the day he's not under contract.

Ravens had had a top 3 scoring defense and 10+ wins in 4 of the last 5 years. Imagine throwing it all away and then trying to play the victim because your forceful coercion isn't going smoothly.

The Ravens are effectively holding themselves hostage and everyone knows it. With every passing day the situation gets worse and worse for the Ravens and better for everyone else. The noose gets even tighter after the draft.