An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

GreatTimes

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by GreatTimes »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 am The league is terrified of these big time QBs fully realizing the power they truly have now. That's the problem with designing the most beautiful team sport to ever exist around one single position. Quarterbacks now hold a gross disproportionate amount of power over the teams they play for.

The league now has to depend on the good graces of these QBs or else the shit is going to hit the fan.

For example... What if Patrick Mahomes said... Yo KC, I don't play another down until you pay me $75 million a year.

What exactly would the Chiefs do?

What do the Bengals do if Burrow says, I want 5 years $300 million fully guaranteed. Are the Bengals REALLY going to get rid of the best QB their franchise has ever had?

The above examples are why there's so much colluding going on against Lamar right now. You have a young elite QB that can been had for less draft capital than Jamal Adams and we have not heard a single peep from any team expressing interest in him and he's been free to negotiate for going on 48 hours.

Baker Mayfield got more attention than Lamar Jackson has.

The league knows it's at a critical point with these quarterbacks and Lamar is the match next to an ocean of gasoline. They're going to do everything they can to fuck him over. It's sad really.
Mahomes has won 2 Superbowls and played in a 3rd Superbowl. Big difference between Mahomes and LJ. Simply put, Lamar is not worth the money he is demanding.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You can't say that for certain. Take the tag off him and watch how quickly he signs.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 am
The league knows it's at a critical point with these quarterbacks and Lamar is the match next to an ocean of gasoline. They're going to do everything they can to fuck him over. It's sad really.
That or giving the most run-oriented quarterback in NFL history a 5 year guaranteed deal would be an act of insanity. Even before the two first round picks.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think Miami will pull off the shocking trade for Lamar
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:25 pm I think Miami will pull off the shocking trade for Lamar
Why do you think this will happen? Curious.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:28 pm
Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:25 pm I think Miami will pull off the shocking trade for Lamar
Why do you think this will happen? Curious.
Miami need a QB that won’t get hurt. I don’t think they’re done after Ramsey trade

Edit: I know Lamar got hurt lot but not like Tua
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miami picked up Tua's 5th year option, guaranteeing his contract this year and next. That cap hit in 2024 is $23mil+. Miami loves Tua more than fans and the media do and only in the media and with fans will you hear that level of denial.
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:41 pm Miami picked up Tua's 5th year option, guaranteeing his contract this year and next. That cap hit in 2024 is $23mil+. Miami loves Tua more than fans and the media do and only in the media and with fans will you hear that level of denial.
If Tua's brain didn't rattle around inside his skull like a nickel in a tin can whenever he got hit, most others would too. Dude was playing at an elite level last year until he got derailed by injury.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Again, off the top of my head, Tua’s injuries:

Dislocated hip
2 ankle procedures
2 broken wrists
1 awful concussion that put the world on pause

There’s probably more. I’d be surprised if he’s playing in 4/5 years. He gets ragdolled, doesn’t fall right for whatever reason.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

You keep mentioning injuries and yet, knowing all of this minus the concussions, Miami still took him 5th overall. Knowing all of this PLUS the concussions, Miami still picked up his 5th year option.

So again, the denial is deep with Tua. Miami isn't looking to replace him. Fans are.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:03 am You keep mentioning injuries and yet, knowing all of this minus the concussions, Miami still took him 5th overall. Knowing all of this PLUS the concussions, Miami still picked up his 5th year option.

So again, the denial is deep with Tua. Miami isn't looking to replace him. Fans are.
If MIA truly believes in Tua, they’d sign him to an extension now as he is eligible. But they won’t because they don’t.
MJW

Post by MJW »

acmillis wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:46 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:03 am You keep mentioning injuries and yet, knowing all of this minus the concussions, Miami still took him 5th overall. Knowing all of this PLUS the concussions, Miami still picked up his 5th year option.

If MIA truly believes in Tua, they’d sign him to an extension now as he is eligible. But they won’t because they don’t.
How can any team possibly have faith in Tua right now? We all know his career will end prematurely due to concussions, and "prematurely" can literally be September.

(I realize this is fundamentally true of ANY football player, but it will likely take a lot less in Tua's case.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

I see nothing has changed around here...

Don't know why everyone is surprised that Jackson does not have suiters lined up out the door. He is the Al Bundy of the NFL. He had one shining moment and has been trying to live off it ever since. He talked himself out of his best offer, he is a fool (or idiot) for not having an agent. His maturity and commitment issues last season has caused the league to take notice. The market has soured for the "running QB", if you can't play an entire season consistently (especially the playoffs) your usefulness on the balance sheet is severely impacted. Look at the shit show in Arizona.

Tua's Eggs are scrambled. He is never going to be the same, Miami reached for him in the draft... they have to hope for the best at the reasonable Rookie contract. I mean we held onto that turd Winston for a long time too just because he was 1st overall.

Switching from one often injured QB to another more expensive often-injured QB would be a dumb move.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

MJW wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:41 am
acmillis wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:46 am

How can any team possibly have faith in Tua right now? We all know his career will end prematurely due to concussions, and "prematurely" can literally be September.

(I realize this is fundamentally true of ANY football player, but it will likely take a lot less in Tua's case.)
The Concussions are a concern for Tua.
But I also remember that early in his career, Larry Csonka had multitude concussions and there was talk that he should retire. But he went on to have a great career. Miami may be hoping that the same thing happens with Tua.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lamar honored the rookie deal he signed. He's done his. The Ravens don't want to honor that he's completed his contract and want to force him to sign a new, shitty one year deal. He shouldn't.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:18 pm
He’ll be the Lions new QB
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If the Colts love the QB(s) that is there at 4 they take them. If not they use the pick then turn around and give Lamar his deal after the draft. Give up '24 and '25 firsts which should be late. (Laughs in Broncos)

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It would not shock me if after the draft all of a sudden a ton of teams have interest. You get to use your 1st this year and get Lamar, delaying compensation. But I think at that point Baltimore might force themselves to match any deal that's offered.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:16 pm It would not shock me if after the draft all of a sudden a ton of teams have interest. You get to use your 1st this year and get Lamar, delaying compensation. But I think at that point Baltimore might force themselves to match any deal that's offered.
Won't his cap hit go against 2024 as well, similar to how post June 1 trades do?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:16 pm It would not shock me if after the draft all of a sudden a ton of teams have interest. You get to use your 1st this year and get Lamar, delaying compensation. But I think at that point Baltimore might force themselves to match any deal that's offered.
This is the part I feel like people keep ignoring with a "wait until after the draft" strategy. If the Colts really want him they have a better chance if this year's pick is included. You wait until after the draft and Baltimore will just match anything. If the Ravens get the 4th pick? Then maybe they let Lamar go.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:34 pm
This is the part I feel like people keep ignoring with a "wait until after the draft" strategy. If the Colts really want him they have a better chance if this year's pick is included. You wait until after the draft and Baltimore will just match anything. If the Ravens get the 4th pick? Then maybe they let Lamar go.
The Colts will use the 4th pick in this years draft to pick a QB if they don't sign Lamar. Signing Lamar means they are really only losing one pick. The pick they would have used to select a QB ad next years first round draft pick. Is Lamar really wort losing next years first round pick? Or does Indy think the best thing for the Colts is to use the 4th pick on a QB and having a first round pick next year is a better option for the Colts?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:10 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:34 pm

The Colts will use the 4th pick in this years draft to pick a QB if they don't sign Lamar. Signing Lamar means they are really only losing one pick. The pick they would have used to select a QB ad next years first round draft pick. Is Lamar really wort losing next years first round pick? Or does Indy think the best thing for the Colts is to use the 4th pick on a QB and having a first round pick next year is a better option for the Colts?
My point was the Ravens are more likely to let Lamar go by not matching the contract the Colts offer if this year's pick is included. I'm sure the Colts would be more than happy to give up the 4th pick and next year's first for Lamar. They also have to dole out a contract the Ravens aren't willing to match. It's not just the picks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Then the Ravens make themselves look like untrusted fools by playing this charade if they match a fully guaranteed offer.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If that influences their choice the Ravens are dumber than they let on.

You give Lamar the contract if you think he's worth the contract. If you let a 15th-spot difference be what decides the extension of your franchise QB you deserve what's coming.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Logically speaking, any scenario where they match an offer that exceeds what they put on the table makes them look incompetent at best. It would give agents of future FAs a blue print on how to "negotiate" with the Ravens brass. Decline their offer, go out and get a bigger one and bring it back to the Ravens. If what @Grahamburn says is true, they'll match offers that are MORE than what they'd initially offer.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:25 pm Logically speaking, any scenario where they match an offer that exceeds what they put on the table makes them look incompetent at best. It would give agents of future FAs a blue print on how to "negotiate" with the Ravens brass. Decline their offer, go out and get a bigger one and bring it back to the Ravens. If what @Grahamburn says is true, they'll match offers that are MORE than what they'd initially offer.
Have you ever negotiated anything? If your original offer is too low you're incompetent? Wait, what?

The team has the option of franchise tag(s). They have leverage. They don't necessarily have to make a market value offer. They can just tag him, which is exactly what they did. Lamar is not going anywhere unless the Ravens allow him to leave. They make offers knowing they can use a franchise tag if he declines an offer of an extension. How does that make them incompetent? They're using the resources that are made available to them via the CBA.

They're letting Lamar test his market. Nothing wrong with that. Seems it's pretty cold. If all he receives are reasonable offers then the Ravens have the option to match it even if it slightly exceeds what their original offer was. If not, they can let him go. This isn't that hard.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:18 pm If that influences their choice the Ravens are dumber than they let on.

You give Lamar the contract if you think he's worth the contract. If you let a 15th-spot difference be what decides the extension of your franchise QB you deserve what's coming.
Maybe they don't view him as the franchise QB all of the fans seem to? You don't think the value of the pick(s) matters in a scenario where the Ravens don't match an offer and let him go to another team?
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:54 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:18 pm If that influences their choice the Ravens are dumber than they let on.

Maybe they don't view him as the franchise QB all of the fans seem to? You don't think the value of the pick(s) matters in a scenario where the Ravens don't match an offer and let him go to another team?
The Ravens are doing just what they need to. The spot of the picks doesn't matter at all. They will match any offer they deem to not be completely outrageous. They did not want to be the organization that offered the fully guaranteed deal.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don’t think Ravens want to trade Lamar to AFC teams..
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Lamar has fumbled the bag so frigging bad lol

Who the hell is this Ken Francis guy??? This has become an absolute spectacle.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:42 pm Lamar has fumbled the bag so frigging bad lol

Who the hell is this Ken Francis guy??? This has become an absolute spectacle.
I think we can put to rest the thought that Lamar Jackson is taking some Curt Flood route to a better day for his contemporaries.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Four Verticals wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:54 pm

The Ravens are doing just what they need to. The spot of the picks doesn't matter at all. They will match any offer they deem to not be completely outrageous. They did not want to be the organization that offered the fully guaranteed deal.
Please stop. Baltimore isn’t some savant NFL organization that knows exactly how to handle this situation. Both sides have leverage and we will all see soon enough how it will play out. We’re merely fans. Stop pretending you know anything about how any of this will play out. Your best hope is to align with the “best case” scenario.
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:17 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 pm

Please stop. Baltimore isn’t some savant NFL organization that knows exactly how to handle this situation. Both sides have leverage and we will all see soon enough how it will play out. We’re merely fans. Stop pretending you know anything about how any of this will play out. Your best hope is to align with the “best case” scenario.
Why would I "stop" when this is what will happen. In fact, the speculation is that Lamar isn't getting any offers because the teams know the Ravens intention is to match. The team is just letting him set the market. What is so difficult to grasp here?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ravens won't match a Watson offer.