An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should the Buccaneers make a strong push to sign Lamar Jackson?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 27

Buc2

Re: An exercise in love: Bucs sign lamar?

Post by Buc2 »

Y'all trying to bring logic into this need to stop. Sheesh.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:02 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:00 pm It gets progressively harder to stay healthy (or healthy enough to play) as a season progresses. Lamar getting hurt late is seen as worse than him getting ticky tack stuff early on.
That's part of the issue too. It's entirely possible that you'd need 21 games from him to win a ring. I don't see that.
It's also entirely possible you don't.

Given how much you "didn't see" in regards to... well pretty much any signing we've had over the last 5 years... I'm not surprised.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Realest thing I've seen

Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Except this isn’t an owner problem, it’s a union problem. You (players) really up in arms about not having fully guaranteed deals… holdout, strike, but don’t complain bc you bargained yourself into the position you’re in now.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why? The levy will break. They can cry and claw all they want, the levies are breaking.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:41 pm
MJW wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:02 pm

That's part of the issue too. It's entirely possible that you'd need 21 games from him to win a ring. I don't see that.
It's also entirely possible you don't.

Given how much you "didn't see" in regards to... well pretty much any signing we've had over the last 5 years... I'm not surprised.
Is this really what you've been reduced to? Vague ad hom crap? You're insulting yourself, not me. Do better.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's not an attack. It's what you've said.

I just don't understand how many time you need to be wrong until you consider that maybe you aren't great at calling these things.

It's one thing to be pessimistic, but you are down right hostile towards this team. When you'd think recent events would have you more humble.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The Colts are on record as not being interested in Lamar Jackson. (of course, this is the NFL's lying season)
What teams are left that need a QB (other than those who will select a QB in the first round of the draft) and have the salary cap space to sign Lamar Jackson?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:08 pm The Colts are on record as not being interested in Lamar Jackson. (of course, this is the NFL's lying season)
What teams are left that need a QB (other than those who will select a QB in the first round of the draft) and have the salary cap space to sign Lamar Jackson?
No kidding… I believe the Colts to stay out and draft QB next year…. Caleb Williams etc etc
MJW

Post by MJW »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:08 pm The Colts are on record as not being interested in Lamar Jackson. (of course, this is the NFL's lying season)
Ignoring what teams are saying, and assuming cap magic, the list of teams that would make sense to me for Jackson:

- Washington. Their ownership situation probably nixes this. But Rivera needs a miracle, especially since the new guy will want his own hire. And taking Lamar to higher levels will be a hell of a message for Bienemy to send the league.

- Minnesota. I can't see this because O'Connell is a McVay guy and Lamar is nothing like what he's coached before. But it should be mentioned.

- Atlanta. It's still the smart money if the Ravens don't patch it up.

- Rams. The Darkest of Dark horses, considering their current rebuilding mentality and McVay's offense. But also a team that loves to make the big swing.

- Patriots. Lotta smoke about Mac Jones not being the guy. Zappe isn't that guy either. If Belichick sees a value, he could strike.

- Colts. Blah Blah Blah we're not interested. Sure.

- Titans. I see them as a strong contender. They've already been cooking up ideas for Malik Willis. Tannehill isn't keeping Lamar out of town. Why not?

And, the heaviest favorite, the Ravens. Burned Bridges, etc, except Lamar has talent and the Ravens have money.
Let's roll another joint
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah nothing to see here Folks…

This thread is full of what if???
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

My money is still on the most likely scenario, things heat up after the draft, someone makes an offer, Ravens match, we move on.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yay or nay?

https://heavy.com/sports/tampa-bay-bucc ... tid=Zxz2cZ
How the Bucs Could Afford Jackson

While Jackson commands a high price tag, the Bucs could clear $10.53 million of salary cap space by trading away White and Mayfield according to Spotrac. The Bucs would have $7.12 million of salary cap space to work with, which would require a restructure of Jackson’s contract to alleviate the annual cap hit.

Things get better for the Bucs salary cap in future years, beginning with 2024. The Bucs have a projected $30.93 million under the cap next year according to Spotrac.

Parting ways with Mayfield and White could save more than the $10.53 million up front. White could command $20.1 million annually, according to Spotrac, after his fifth-year option concludes in 2024. Mayfield could command a bigger salary in the future if he plays well enough in 2023, and quarterbacks can push for pay around $30 million annually as a quality starter.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Who the fuck is trading for Baker Mayfield?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:22 am My money is still on the most likely scenario, things heat up after the draft, someone makes an offer, Ravens match, we move on.
Pretty much this. I agree, Doctor
MJW

Post by MJW »

You tell any team, in any cap situation, that they need to find a way to afford a player, they're going to find a way to afford the player. I have no doubt that if OBP woke up today and said, "We're getting Lamar Jackson no matter what," they could manipulate the cap, cut players, etc, to make the space available. There are many goals in life where if you don't care about collateral damage and you don't care about opportunity costs, you can reach them.

Is an injury prone, possibly ill-tempered, extremely system dependent quarterback who will cost a fuck ton of money going forward plus multiple high draft picks worth that kind of kamikaze mission approach? No.
Let's roll another joint
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:07 am Who the fuck is trading for Baker Mayfield?
Yeah no one…

But Ravens? They almost signed him…
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:07 am Who the fuck is trading for Baker Mayfield?
Probably at least ten teams (no I don't care to list them) if you swap mid-round picks for a year or two.

Mayfield's absolutely moveable.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

CantonJester wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:57 pm
Probably at least ten teams (no I don't care to list them) if you swap mid-round picks for a year or two.

Mayfield's absolutely moveable.
Pipe dream.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I'd rather have Mayfield on this one year deal than Jackson + the opportunity cost to acquire him.

There. I said it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:46 pm I'd rather have Mayfield on this one year deal than Jackson + the opportunity cost to acquire him.

There. I said it.
Tell me you don't care about winning without telling me you don't care about winning.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:46 pm I'd rather have Mayfield on this one year deal than Jackson + the opportunity cost to acquire him.

There. I said it.
Same here. This team needs to start stockpiling picks. Giving up two first rounders will set this team back big time.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Looks like someone blinked 1st

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:00 pm

There. I said it.
Tell me you don't care about winning without telling me you don't care about winning.
I truly think we'll get back to winning quicker without pursuing Lamar. Not that we ever would nor have a chance to.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:09 pm Looks like someone blinked 1st

If Lamar is smart, he'd take it. DeShaun Watson got $260 mil guaranteed, and he's miles better than Lamar will ever be.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:19 pm

If Lamar is smart, he'd take it. DeShaun Watson got $260 mil guaranteed, and he's miles better than Lamar will ever be.
Based on.........
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:42 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Based on.........
Based on the fact that Lamar is a running QB. DeShaun is a throwing QB who can run. And DeShaun's accuracy is way better than Lamar's
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:05 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:42 pm

Based on.........
Based on the fact that Lamar is a running QB. DeShaun is a throwing QB who can run. And DeShaun's accuracy is way better than Lamar's
:lol: :lol: :lol:
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

From what I've read, the 200m was offered with the $133. It came out today after the Hurts deal.

"The deal that the Ravens offered Lamar Jackson was pretty strong..

$200M was the total guaranteed and the $133M was guaranteed on a shorter deal"

So, it doesn't look like anything new nor did they "blink".

Here's more info:

Side-by-side comparison of Jalen Hurts’ deal with the Eagles and the Ravens’ offer to Lamar Jackson last September (per
@AdamSchefter
)

TOTAL VALUE
JH: $255M
LJ: $250M

FULL GTD AT SIGNING
JH: $110M
LJ: $133M

TOTAL GTD
JH: $179.3M
LJ: $200M
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

From what I've read, the 200m was offered with the $133. It came out today after the Hurts deal.

"The deal that the Ravens offered Lamar Jackson was pretty strong..

$200M was the total guaranteed and the $133M was guaranteed on a shorter deal"

So, it doesn't look like anything new nor did they "blink".

Here's more info:

Side-by-side comparison of Jalen Hurts’ deal with the Eagles and the Ravens’ offer to Lamar Jackson last September (per
@AdamSchefter
)

TOTAL VALUE
JH: $255M
LJ: $250M

FULL GTD AT SIGNING
JH: $110M
LJ: $133M

TOTAL GTD
JH: $179.3M
LJ: $200M

edit: Lamar laughed at this deal fwiw.
Snake

Post by Snake »

LJ effing up big not taking that deal USC just described.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Not 1 published tweet or article of that supposed deal before today. Not even Rapaport. But okay.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:42 pm Not 1 published tweet or article of that supposed deal before today. Not even Rapaport. But okay.
That's valid. The Ravens could be trying to spin this, but all reports have been based off the September offer.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:47 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:42 pm Not 1 published tweet or article of that supposed deal before today. Not even Rapaport. But okay.
That's valid. The Ravens could be trying to spin this, but all reports have been based off the September offer.
But it is not valid, it is the same deal he broke a long time ago that Latard's camp refuted... Then when the truth came to light Latard went silent or he started pushing strawmen arguments.

People just did not have the patience to read the entire story, listen to the podcast or just did not understand what was said and tried to thump their chests.

Dudes a clown.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Isn’t that Lamar deal the same one that he tweeted about in March… that was originally reported in Sep?