The Damage

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
GreatTimes

Re: The Damage

Post by GreatTimes »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:13 am
GreatTimes wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:48 am How much over the salary cap are the Bucs after their latest moves of cutting players?
$-57,027,890 Spotrac

Not sure if updated yet.
Only 12 days left before the Bucs have to get down to $0.00 over the cap. Would not want to be in Licht's shoes right now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:18 am
Doctor wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:29 am It took him 7 years....
Oh no! Not seven whole years!!

No one is saying lifetime pass, but ffs, what you're advocating for is rotating GMs to keep the HC fresh!

How long since Steelers or Ravens won? Have they "ran their course"?
Aren't you the same guy who keeps saying that there's no need to rebuild properly because turnarounds are super quick now?

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

No one is saying lifetime pass, but ffs, what you're advocating for is rotating GMs to keep the HC fresh!

Not every season needs to be judged by winning the Superbowl. Making it to the playoffs year in and year out is also the mark of a well run organization.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Everytime we win the NFC south, three teams are asking what are we not doing right.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:48 am How much over the salary cap are the Bucs after their latest moves of cutting players?
$-57,027,890 Spotrac

Not sure if updated yet.
Not updated. It's about $48m at the moment.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Four Verticals wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:29 pm

$-57,027,890 Spotrac

Not sure if updated yet.
The Bucs haven't made those cuts official yet. They are waiting until March 16th so they can designate them as post June 1 cuts.
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

$-57,027,890 Spotrac

Not sure if updated yet.

I don't seem able to upvote your post for some reason.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:00 pm

Why you messing with me MB?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:09 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:00 pm

Why you messing with me MB?
Because I get off on it.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:43 pm

The Bucs haven't made those cuts official yet. They are waiting until March 16th so they can designate them as post June 1 cuts.
Thanks Sherlock. How do you think I came up with the roughly $48mil number?
MJW

Post by MJW »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:23 am

$-57,027,890 Spotrac

Not sure if updated yet.
Only 12 days left before the Bucs have to get down to $0.00 over the cap. Would not want to be in Licht's shoes right now.
Then he just has to re-sign/replace 25 pending free agents, and the spots occupied by all the guys who are getting cut, with whatever over $0.00 he can come up with.

But Ryan Jensen is coming back healthy, so the Eagles and 49ers should be shitting themselves right about now.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Aren't you the same guy who keeps saying that there's no need to rebuild properly because turnarounds are super quick now?

What the heck is "rebuild properly"?
Again, is that draft groupie talk for "tank for muh savior"? Because good teams don't need to "rebuild properly". Good franchises stay good and competitive. And when you catch all the right pieces at the right time, you can go all the way.

"Tear it all down and start from scratch" is a loser's mentality. You usually hearing from losing fanbases. Good teams retool. Does it always work out? Heck no, you're always way more likely to NOT win than to win. But you don't need to keep rotating chairs. There's a strong inverse correlation between franchise wins and number of head coaches for a reason.

This isn't your "proper rebuild" because 1) no one has any intention to tank anything and 2) WE STILL HAVE A GREAT ROSTER. This isn't like we are seeing our young, franchise players walk off because we can't afford them. We've lost a grand total of Jordan Whitehead, Alex Cappa, and soon Dean. All great guys I'd love to keep, sure... but destined for the ring of honor these guys were not.

Also, this "cap hell" narrative is far overblown and honestly more trauma from our past than actual look at the situation. Real cap hell is actually carrying really bad contracts. You want to see a bad contract, look at Russell Wilson, Arod, Michael Thomas, Chandler Jones, Stafford, etc. THOSE are franchise crippling contracts. Yeah, we put some things on the credit card, but everything was built pretty darn well with really team friendly outs for us and short term ramifications.

So, to be summarize... we haven't lost any huge stars and don't have any huge deals in the books

We've let Whitehead, Cappa, and Dean leave.

We have a roster with:
Vea 27
Davis 26
White 24
AWJ 24
Shaq 30
Evans 30
Godwin 26
Gage 26
Wirfs 23

But somehow I'm the asshole for not "rebuilding properly" move on from our top 10 GM.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:15 am

Again, is that draft groupie talk for "tank for muh savior"?
I stopped reading here dude.

I've made it clear no less than 10 times that's not what I'm talking about, including probably in the last 24 hours in this thread.

I'm sick of doing it. When you're ready to engage the arguments being made and acknowledge the explanations that keep. getting. given. to. you. I will be happy to re-engage. Mazel Tov.
Let's roll another joint
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Four Verticals wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:52 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:43 pm

Obviously you did the math. I was just pointing out that they aren't official yet. Your dig wasn't necessary though, as I wasn't even trying to make it much of an issue.

That said, you responded the way you did because you wanted a reaction. So I'll give it to you. You can fuck all the way off with your bullshit remarks.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

MJW wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:45 am

I've made it clear no less than 10 times that's not what I'm talking about, including probably in the last 24 hours in this thread.

I'm sick of doing it. When you're ready to engage the arguments being made and acknowledge the explanations that keep. getting. given. to. you. I will be happy to re-engage. Mazel Tov.
I think the team should consider moving on from any player unlikely to be a contributor to a re-build or re-tool over the next couple of years. There's almost no room to re-tool so we're probably talking about a re-build. So some of the younger guys such as Vea, Davis, D. White maybe you keep if you can. Evans, David and a few others maybe are moved on from as it is less likely that they would be the big guns when needed.

And before anyone starts crying about Evans...Mike is one of my two or three favorite Bucs ever. WRs in their 30s don't have a great track record.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:01 am
Four Verticals wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:52 am

Obviously you did the math. I was just pointing out that they aren't official yet. Your dig wasn't necessary though, as I wasn't even trying to make it much of an issue.

That said, you responded the way you did because you wanted a reaction. So I'll give it to you. You can fuck all the way off with your bullshit remarks.
Why are people addicted to getting a reaction out of Bootz? Been following this community for 15 years and nothing has changed about this dynamic.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:32 pm

Why are people addicted to getting a reaction out of Bootz? Been following this community for 15 years and nothing has changed about this dynamic.
Honestly I only pointed out that the Bucs were waiting to make these cuts official. Any normal person would've taken it for what it was, a simple fact. Not any type of real issue.

But, @Four Verticals obviously wanted a reaction so I gave him what he wanted. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Jonny wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:32 pm

Honestly? I suspect because it's so easy
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Wonder what Brady could have done with Zack Kuntz?
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:35 pm Wonder what Brady could have done with Zack Kuntz?
Wonder what Brady could have done with Zach Wilson's Mom?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Get over yourself. Keep reading and you'll see why you're simply calling a rose by another name.

Rebuild, retool, it's all semantics with the QB position in at the center. It's the most important position on the team. When people say rebuild what they are saying is I don't believe we have our QB on the roster. And usually that leans to getting him via the most favored way- the draft. And the higher you are the more pick of the litter you have.
People that say retool are saying I think we have plenty of ways to win on this team and some QB options I feel good about. We know OBP feels good about Trask. We know Lock is a likely arrival that Canales will feel good about. The fact that they have "years of being in the NFL and NOT being the guy" vs guys who have no experience (shiny rookies) is such an silly, unfairly heavy scarlet letter we put on players. These are options our staff feels good about and I have good reason to think they know a thing or two.

But it's true, I don't know if either of them will be the guy. Maybe not and maybe we are in good position to get the great Caleb. Or maybe Maye or some guy who comes out of nowhere. Even so, I do believe this offense with a Geno lvl 24 ppg offense combined with our healthy grave diggers can be as fine a contender as we've fielded to take another shot at the promise land.
Mahomes is king right now. The 49ers came within 3 minutes of beating him. We held them to 9 points. If we can find an answer at QB either this year or next, combined with a revamped OL and one more blue chip guy like Branch or Robinson... yes. I like our shot. Defense still wins chips.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Moozician wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:53 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:35 pm Wonder what Brady could have done with Zack Kuntz?
I just asked because he wasnt very high for a prospect and he killed most of the stuff at the combine for the TE's.

Also, I do not know if his QB from Old Dominion was any good. Did they run an offense that prepares them for the NFL?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:55 am
Moozician wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:53 am

I just asked because he wasnt very high for a prospect and he killed most of the stuff at the combine for the TE's.

Also, I do not know if his QB from Old Dominion was any good. Did they run an offense that prepares them for the NFL?
Sounds like he’s much more of an athlete than he is a football player.

How many instances are there of these types of super athletes that have little college production but make an impact in the NFL? Not many.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:36 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:55 am

Sounds like he’s much more of an athlete than he is a football player.

How many instances are there of these types of super athletes that have little college production but make an impact in the NFL? Not many.
I'm thinking which of the TE's are around pick 155 and later. Seems like Mayer's game will be who wants to tackle the horse.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Darnell Washington's big one handed catch? They forgot to say he was out of bounds.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:02 am Darnell Washington's big one handed catch? They forgot to say he was out of bounds.
I noticed that too buddy, but at the combine at least, the rule of cool should prevail.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:42 am

Get over yourself. Keep reading and you'll see why you're simply calling a rose by another name.

Rebuild, retool, it's all semantics with the QB position in at the center. It's the most important position on the team. When people say rebuild what they are saying is I don't believe we have our QB on the roster. And usually that leans to getting him via the most favored way- the draft. And the higher you are the more pick of the litter you have.
People that say retool are saying I think we have plenty of ways to win on this team and some QB options I feel good about. We know OBP feels good about Trask.
"He just needs reps and everybody needs to see him to see exactly what he is, whether he’s a [No.] 1, a [No.] 2 or a [No.] 3,” Bowles said of Trask.
https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/03/todd ... back-role/

Sounds like serious confidence in Trask. Also, while I can't find the article at the moment, Licht was asked if the starting job was Trask's to lose and he openly chuckled and said no there would be a competition for the job. All that praise came from BA and Christensen. They released Christensen for a reason.
Snake

Post by Snake »

That’s a brutal quote.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:39 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:42 am

People that say retool are saying I think we have plenty of ways to win on this team and some QB options I feel good about. We know OBP feels good about Trask.
"He just needs reps and everybody needs to see him to see exactly what he is, whether he’s a [No.] 1, a [No.] 2 or a [No.] 3,” Bowles said of Trask.
https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/03/todd ... back-role/

Sounds like serious confidence in Trask. Also, while I can't find the article at the moment, Licht was asked if the starting job was Trask's to lose and he openly chuckled and said no there would be a competition for the job. All that praise came from BA and Christensen. They released Christensen for a reason.
I don't see that as a damning quote at all. If anything, it's a challenge.

Trask will get his reps and we will see what kind of talent he's got. You'll either prove that you have the talent to be the starting QB, or that you're good enough to be his backup, or that you ain't even that. Ball's in your court, kid. Time to make some plays or get back on the bench.

I like it. Open, honest, and all you can ask for as a player. Just give me a chance and let me show you what I can do.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 pm That’s a brutal quote.
Beyond brutal. Don't know if I've heard comments that damning about a guy who's your only QB under contract.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's an empty quote and y'all have offseason fever.

Absolutely nothing to gain by giving the soundbite of "He's 100% our guy, it's all go on Trask". Nothing.

It's 100% going to be an open competition, as it should be. If he's as good as they think, it shouldn't be an issue that he competes. You shouldn't have to shield him from competition. At the same time, they aren't going to take the bait of ego-know-it-all. They know all two well sometimes something better is behind door #2. And we literally don't know who is behind #2 yet.

If we bring in Lock or someone else and he competes his ass off and beats out Trask fair and square, he should be the guy. And OBP agrees. OBP is not afraid of competition and CAN have faith their competition will bring forth a good QB. "Calling it" in March is not a requirement of any of that.

So why the hell would they deliver a soundbite that can only come back to bite them in the ass should Door #2 win the job? Who they can't even legally talk about right now. Not to mention, IT'S SMOKESCREEN SEASON! Or do you not want to trade down from 19 to a QB needy team?
Snake

Post by Snake »

If Lock wins the job, we’re screwed. Dude is trash. And I liked him coming out of college.

If anyone of that caliber gives Trask a down to the wire competition, we’re screwed. Because that means Trash is Trash too.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:27 pm If Lock wins the job, we’re screwed. Dude is trash. And I liked him coming out of college.

If anyone of that caliber gives Trask a down to the wire competition, we’re screwed. Because that means Trash is Trash too.
I'll be honest:

The most likely scenario by a mile is nobody on the Bucs 2023 roster in September will be the Buccaneers starting quarterback twelve months hence, unless it's in a seat-warming role.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why is he trash? He had about a good of a showing his rookie year as you can ask for, went 4-1 iirc.
They switched to Pat Shurmer the following year and, sure, he didn't do great, but is that really a capital crime?

Development isn't just for first rounders sitting behind a HoFs. I'm going to reserve judgement on who 5th year Lock is until I see it. And unlike some, I'm going to trust BA and DC actually know their stuff. If they think these trees are worth shaking, let's shake them.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

My God. Teams are fighting to get as good of a QB as they can possibly get while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are relegated to "shaking trees" and seeing what trash QBs like Drew Lock have to offer.

Tells you all you need to know.