The Damage

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: The Damage

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am My God. Teams are fighting to get as good of a QB as they can possibly get while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are relegated to "shaking trees" and seeing what trash QBs like Drew Lock have to offer.

Tells you all you need to know.
That doesn't mean they should be paying mediocre QBS 35-37M/year...just that they, "got a guy."

I'd rather give Trask a shot for what, less than 2M next year instead of paying either Carr or Geno HUGE money for what they offer...which is nothing great.

Remember all those years we, "won free agency" by signing Carl Nicks, Eric Wright, etc.? How'd that work out. Just because a team spends a ton of money does not mean it was the right thing to do.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

FOMO is strong this morning
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Yea people are really afraid that Trask or Lock might actually be superstars
Most hated man in America.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

I was talking about you.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I know. That ain't fear. That's called meeting a standard. Shouldn't we expect the powers that be to try and put the best possible product on the field instead of hyping up these "who can win last place best" contests?

I mean I get it. Most people have low standards as is. So expecting more would be out of their comfort zone. But damn, accepting defeat before it even begins? That's what scares me.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

I get not wanting to tank or accept defeat or take a year off.

I don't think Licht will do that. Two firsts gets Lamar? What else can two firsts get me? Bryce Young?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

2 1sts will not get Bryce Young. Not coming from 19.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:43 am 2 1sts will not get Bryce Young. Not coming from 19.
Correct. Which makes this all very interesting.

Lamar Jackson - 2 1sts, and a massive contract - for a proven commodity.

Bryce Young - 2 1sts+ - but on a rookie contract and an unknown commodity at the NFL level.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:28 am I know. That ain't fear. That's called meeting a standard. Shouldn't we expect the powers that be to try and put the best possible product on the field instead of hyping up these "who can win last place best" contests?

I mean I get it. Most people have low standards as is. So expecting more would be out of their comfort zone. But damn, accepting defeat before it even begins? That's what scares me.
What if OBP thinks that Trask is, "the best possible product (to be) put on the field?"
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:47 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:43 am 2 1sts will not get Bryce Young. Not coming from 19.
Correct. Which makes this all very interesting.

Lamar Jackson - 2 1sts, and a massive contract - for a proven commodity.

Bryce Young - 2 1sts+ - but on a rookie contract and an unknown commodity at the NFL level.
If given a choice, I'd take the former. A proven commodity is gonna cost you a ton eventually. If Young pans out, in 3 years he'll be signing his own massive contract.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:28 am I know. That ain't fear. That's called meeting a standard. Shouldn't we expect the powers that be to try and put the best possible product on the field instead of hyping up these "who can win last place best" contests?

Let me employ a Metaphor.

Two mechanics are fixing cars simultaneously. They decide to race, with the race beginning tomorrow regardless of the state of the cars.

One mechanic uses the parts laying around the shop, some welding tricks, and four mismatched tires to get the car on the road faster.
The other carefully and methodically selects each part, meticulously performs repairs, and takes as long as it takes for the car to be in the best possible condition for the race.

The first guy is on the road instantly when the race begins. He's done what he has to do. He gets halfway there before his shitty repairs catch up to him and the car breaks down.

The other guy? He's not ready when the race begins. It might be longer for him. But unlike the first guy, he's doing everything he can to make sure he finishes.

The second guy is not committed to low standards. Quite the opposite. He wants to do things correctly. But while the car isn't on the road, one can be sure there'll be folks who don't understand why and call him a loser.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Or to put it simply:

We're not winning shit next year.
The Saints ain't winning shit next year.
So I'd rather have the young, cheap guy with upside getting evaluated than giving $70 mil in guarantees to a guy who is basically a middle of the pack quarterback.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:03 am

Let me employ a Metaphor.

Two mechanics are fixing cars simultaneously. They decide to race, with the race beginning tomorrow regardless of the state of the cars.

One mechanic uses the parts laying around the shop, some welding tricks, and four mismatched tires to get the car on the road faster.
The other carefully and methodically selects each part, meticulously performs repairs, and takes as long as it takes for the car to be in the best possible condition for the race.

The first guy is on the road instantly when the race begins. He's done what he has to do. He gets halfway there before his shitty repairs catch up to him and the car breaks down.

The other guy? He's not ready when the race begins. It might be longer for him. But unlike the first guy, he's doing everything he can to make sure he finishes.

The second guy is not committed to low standards. Quite the opposite. He wants to do things correctly. But while the car isn't on the road, one can be sure there'll be folks who don't understand why and call him a loser.
Ummm in this ANALOGY (not metaphor) Mechanic 1 would be a GM who uses pieces already on the team laying around, wielding tricks would be new scheme & coaches, mismatch tires would be the pieces already in place. But okay..
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am My God. Teams are fighting to get as good of a QB as they can possibly get while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are relegated to "shaking trees" and seeing what trash QBs like Drew Lock have to offer.

Do you know what's worse than being 58 million dollars over the cap?

Being 90+ million dollars over the cap with the only addition to your roster being a likely middling starting quarterback.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:49 am

Do you know what's worse than being 58 million dollars over the cap?

Being 90+ million dollars over the cap with the only addition to your roster being a likely middling starting quarterback.
Who said anything about being $90mil over?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb is assuming we wouldn't pay his first season in bonus money and vet min
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There aren't 31 teams tripping over themselves for Lamar, Rodgers, and Carr.
They aren't right for everyone.

It's not a hard case to say they aren't right for us right now either. Being where we are is what's right for us, I know that because we know have two chips instead of one and we have to eat ramen for a year because of it.

That doesn't mean we don't go out there and compete every damn day. Just means no sushi.
With that said if OBP could somehow manage to structure a fully guaranteed deal for Lamar I'd be on board with the costs.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

So the Ravens won’t sign Lamar to the deal he wants, but we should, AND subsequently give up two first round picks?! Hard hitting stuff. iabf
Kona

Post by Kona »

If we had the cap space I wouldn’t be opposed to giving up 19 and next years first for Lamar with this Roster.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

When did the Ravens become the smartest kid in the room?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:20 am When did the Ravens become the smartest kid in the room?
When they fit people's agenda.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:20 am When did the Ravens become the smartest kid in the room?
When the Ravens used the nonexclusive tag on Lamar. The Ravens have the right to match any teams offer. They may very well want to let other NFL teams set the contract price for Lamar, and then match it. I believe that is the Ravens game plan.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:46 pm
When the Ravens used the nonexclusive tag on Lamar. The Ravens have the right to match any teams offer. They may very well want to let other NFL teams set the contract price for Lamar, and then match it. I believe that is the Ravens game plan.
That shows incompetence as well as manipulation. Not to mention you’re basically saying the Ravens are negotiating with themselves.

They reportedly offered Lamar $133 mil in guarantees. If a team offers him $200mil guaranteed you’re saying they’d match an offer they had no intention to make.
Snake

Post by Snake »

For reference:

Wilson received $161m in guarantees.
Murray received $160m in guarantees ($104.3m fully).
Daniel Jones received $94m fully guaranteed. $35m in incentives.
Carr just received $100m guaranteed. AAV of $37m

You can see why the Watson deal was so crazy in retrospect.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Yep. You can also see why the Ravens aren’t being realistic about what they have in Lamar Jackson.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:48 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:46 pm
That shows incompetence as well as manipulation. Not to mention you’re basically saying the Ravens are negotiating with themselves.

They reportedly offered Lamar $133 mil in guarantees. If a team offers him $200mil guaranteed you’re saying they’d match an offer they had no intention to make.
No. I am saying that the Ravens believe that no team is going to offer Lamar what he is asking. It is a win win proposition for the Ravens. I some other team offers what the Ravens decide not to match, they get 2 first round draft choices. If no other teams offers Lamar a big contract than the Ravens get Lamar back at a lower price than Lamar is asking for. The Ravens are letting the market determine the value of Lamar.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:22 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:48 pm

No. I am saying that the Ravens believe that no team is going to offer Lamar what he is asking. It is a win win proposition for the Ravens. I some other team offers what the Ravens decide not to match, they get 2 first round draft choices. If no other teams offers Lamar a big contract than the Ravens get Lamar back at a lower price than Lamar is asking for. The Ravens are letting the market determine the value of Lamar.
And if they match it and LJ decides he'd rather sit a year rather than sign it? Then what do the Ravens do?
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:00 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:22 pm

And if they match it and LJ decides he'd rather sit a year rather than sign it? Then what do the Ravens do?
Trade his rights.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:28 pm

Trade his rights.
And eat that extremely large dead cap hit, plus probably getting a 1st at the very most in the process. Great talk.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trade his rights.
Don’t think that’s possible until he signs the dotted line. Tagging him or not, he’s not under contract until he agrees. He just can’t sign anywhere else.

Edit: I may be thinking about the normal franchise tag. This other thing is new territory for me.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:32 pm

Trade his rights.
Don’t think that’s possible until he signs the dotted line. Tagging him or not, he’s not under contract until he agrees. He just can’t sign anywhere else.

Edit: I may be thinking about the normal franchise tag. This other thing is new territory for me.
His scenario was that Lamar signs an offer sheet with another team, Baltimore matches and then Lamar refuses to play for Baltimore.

Unless I'm thinking incorrectly and that he has to sign with the Ravens also if they match.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:50 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:32 pm

His scenario was that Lamar signs an offer sheet with another team, Baltimore matches and then Lamar refuses to play for Baltimore.

Unless I'm thinking incorrectly and that he has to sign with the Ravens also if they match.
The day after another team signs LJ to a non-exclusive contract, The Ravens can meet with LJ and offer him a slightly better contract. If LJ says no, then the Ravens say goodby to LJ and take the 2 first round draft picks. The Ravens can then trade their own 1st round pick along with the other teams first round draft pick to move up in the draft to select a QB.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:27 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:50 pm

The day after another team signs LJ to a non-exclusive contract, The Ravens can meet with LJ and offer him a slightly better contract. If LJ says no, then the Ravens say goodby to LJ and take the 2 first round draft picks. The Ravens can then trade their own 1st round pick along with the other teams first round draft pick to move up in the draft to select a QB.
2 things…No they can’t, they can only match the offer. And if they were going to offer him a better deal than he’d get elsewhere we wouldn’t be where we are today. Baltimore would’ve done it by now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Why don’t they want to pay him?

Again, they know him better than anyone. Medically, habits, personality, etc.

Is it the end of season injuries?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think the Ravens need to offer him slightly better anything.

First and foremost he's still negotiating with the Ravens. This is why other teams talk about "doing the legwork for them". If he signs the offer sheet with the other team he's also agreeing to that contract with the Ravens first. The Ravens then can refuse to match, in which case the other team pays two firsts, and the contract parties are Lamar and his new team.

If Lamar signs an offer and the Ravens match, it's a done deal with the Ravens. His "refusing to play" at this point would be the same as if he had signed a normal extension and then refused to play. And it would be handled as such.

There is a whole lot of wiggle room between the $130M guaranteed offered by the Ravens and the $230M in the Watson deal. The idea that neither side would ever accept anything in the middle is silly.