Lamar to the Falcons or Panthers?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Where would you prefer Lamar get traded?

Atlanta
67%
Carolina
33%

Total votes: 9

Doctor

Lamar to the Falcons or Panthers?

Post by Doctor »

Assuming Lamar gets traded to one of these two, which would you prefer it be? How do you think he'll do?
Snake

Re: Lamar to the Falcons or Panthers?

Post by Snake »

stereotypical mind:

ATL. it’s an aesthetic fit, demographic fit, style fit. It’s like Vick, only better ball and less dead dogs.

Objective football mind:

Carolina has a better roster. If given the choice between the two, go there. Lamar is ready to win. They offer a better shot imo.

Bucs fan mind:

Stay out of the south, for the love of god! But, ATL over CAR. Ridder becomes a “wasted” pick. He’s a throw-in going back to BAL in a trade, but doesn’t move the needle.

ATL isn’t as far along. Lamar on a massive contract makes building a team even harder. They’ll be shipping out picks they would otherwise need to get young
Cost-controlled talent they lack.

Fan of the game mind:

Stay in Baltimore.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 pm Assuming Lamar gets traded to one of these two
But why?
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Falcons make more sense schematically. Arthur Smith's two previous offenses were built for Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill. He likes using quarterback movement in his attack. It'd be a really good fit, honestly, with London and Pitts already in place.

The Panthers on the other hand do have a better roster, especially on defense, and Reich is a good QB guy. But he's also a QB guy who hasn't necessarily built a scheme like the one he'd want for Lamar.

I do think it'd be one of these teams that'd end up with Lamar if the Ravens trade him, but I also thought it'd be one of those two teams who ended up with Watson.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I'd prefer if he got traded to the Steelers or stay with the Ravens. That way we wouldn't have to play him again until 2026.

To kind of pivot like others have wisely and more interestingly done here though, Atlanta makes too much sense. They have the cap space. They have the need. They have the pieces around the QB. Arthur Smith's offense takes advantage of what a QB can do as a runner to fool defenses and set up much better situations in the passing game.

I keep seeing this line and it's puzzling: "Carolina has a better roster"....Ummmm where? Both teams finished 7-10. Both teams finished close in offensive and defensive statistical measures. Carolina is about $5mil over the salary cap while Atlanta has $55mil in space to work with. Carolina traded their best offensive weapons (CMC, Anderson) while Atlanta has young top 10 picks in Pitts & London and found a diamond in the rough in Tyler Allgeire. Oh and Cordarrelle Patterson is so far beating father time and still playing well. Neither defense stands out against the other. Carolina allowed 22 ppg, Atlanta 22.7 ppg. But Lamar Jackson with that talent on Atlanta's offense would be exciting to watch.
Most hated man in America.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:31 am I'd prefer if he got traded to the Steelers or stay with the Ravens. That way we wouldn't have to play him again until 2026.
The Steelers already have their new QB.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Backside wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:06 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 pm Assuming Lamar gets traded to one of these two
But why?
Off season funsies
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake hit the nail on the head. As a Buc fan, I'd prefer he go anywhere besides the NFCS. But, if he has to come to our division, then {sigh} I'd go with Atlanta. I guess.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:48 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:31 am I'd prefer if he got traded to the Steelers or stay with the Ravens. That way we wouldn't have to play him again until 2026.
The Steelers already have their new QB.
I know, the comment was more tongue in cheek. Trade him to any team that we don't play for a long time. We just played the AFC North and don't play them again until 2026.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I think Arthur Smith is a great offensive mind and would do deadly damage with Lamar. It would be similar to Andy Reid finding his Mahomes. For the sake of Lamar and Arthur Smith, I would want it to be Atlanta. I don't care if that could make our lives miserable as Bucs fans for the next decade. The upside is, bad coaches and GMs will have a short leash, because we can't even be .500 within the division.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

To kind of pivot like others have wisely and more interestingly done here though, Atlanta makes too much sense. They have the cap space. They have the need. They have the pieces around the QB. Arthur Smith's offense takes advantage of what a QB can do as a runner to fool defenses and set up much better situations in the passing game.

I keep seeing this line and it's puzzling: "Carolina has a better roster"....Ummmm where? Both teams finished 7-10. Both teams finished close in offensive and defensive statistical measures. Carolina is about $5mil over the salary cap while Atlanta has $55mil in space to work with. Carolina traded their best offensive weapons (CMC, Anderson) while Atlanta has young top 10 picks in Pitts & London and found a diamond in the rough in Tyler Allgeire. Oh and Cordarrelle Patterson is so far beating father time and still playing well. Neither defense stands out against the other. Carolina allowed 22 ppg, Atlanta 22.7 ppg. But Lamar Jackson with that talent on Atlanta's offense would be exciting to watch.
Agreed on all fronts. Lamar to Atlanta makes too much sense, and as a Bucs fan it would make me nauseous.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Violently unpopular opinion: I would welcome some decent quarterbacks into the division. None of us want good rivals, but shit, do I really want to spend 18+ hours of my fall watching Trask vs Whoever The Fuck?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm more sold on DJ Moore than Pitts or Lodon. Falcons have a ton of cap and Panthers none so maybe it would hamper Panthers more?

I do have Lamar going to Atlanta when it's all done though. It just makes too much sense not to happen.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

My prediction, Baltimore uses the franchise tag on Lamar.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:36 am My prediction, Baltimore uses the franchise tag on Lamar.
That's a given. But they will trade him to the highest bidder.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed. No way Lamar plays under the tag. Only three QBs have actually ever played under a tag, none were former firsts or MVPs. Ironically the tag is weakest when owners need it the most, a true franchise QB.

Lamar doesn't have to sign the tag. He can wait until first before week 1. Heck, he can wait into the season. The Ravens would have to set aside $45M of cap or face penalties of going over the cap the moment he signed, you think they are going to do that?

The tag is a placeholder, but the ball is still fully in Lamar's court. This should move a lot faster than Watson though.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Bucs have a worse QB situation than either of these teams. Can we get in on Lamar?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:03 pm Bucs have a worse QB situation than either of these teams. Can we get in on Lamar?
That's debatable. But what isn't is the fact that our cap situation is also way worse.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Backside wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:03 pm Bucs have a worse QB situation than either of these teams. Can we get in on Lamar?
It'd be awesome, but I doubt it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

he would sign for Watson’s contract. Make the first year light so the team doesn’t need utterly gutted in year 1 due to the cap
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

You guys remember when the board consensus was that Jackson wasn't an NFL quarterback?

Pepperridge Farms remembers
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:43 pm You guys remember when the board consensus was that Jackson wasn't an NFL quarterback?

What board and what Jackson??
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm
_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:43 pm You guys remember when the board consensus was that Jackson wasn't an NFL quarterback?

Dude, it was you, me, and maybe one other guy that wasn't calling Lamar Jackson a WR playing quarterback at Louisville.

I know you argue everything with everyone and can't remember them all, but there were dudes saying he had no arm.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:51 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm

Dude, it was you, me, and maybe one other guy that wasn't calling Lamar Jackson a WR playing quarterback at Louisville.

I know you argue everything with everyone and can't remember them all, but there were dudes saying he had no arm.
Think it was Jason Bourne. I vaguely remember but it wasn't something to take seriously. Those same jokers said Josh Rosen should've been the 1st overall pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm gonna call bs right now. We had a few Lamar believers. I personally said he'd be the best QB in the class if he got his year on the bench.
"That QB should be a WR" is such an outlandish claim, it's rarely more than a couple of people, let alone a majority.

I will say Lamar has plenty of his haters and doubters, but if anything we were saying how a team like the Pats or Steelers could trade up to get him at the end of the first. Which did happen, but it was the Ravens.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:07 pm I'm gonna call bs right now. We had a few Lamar believers. I personally said he'd be the best QB in the class if he got his year on the bench.
"That QB should be a WR" is such an outlandish claim, it's rarely more than a couple of people, let alone a majority.

I will say Lamar has plenty of his haters and doubters, but if anything we were saying how a team like the Pats or Steelers could trade up to get him at the end of the first. Which did happen, but it was the Ravens.
It happened.

Kid was launching passes that looked like punts but the "WR at the next level" narrative persisted.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

What I do recall is there were a lot of racially discriminatory things said about Lamar. About how he wasn't very smart because of his wonderlic score and how he's stupid for not having an agent.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:56 pm What I do recall is there were a lot of racially discriminatory things said about Lamar. About how he wasn't very smart because of his wonderlic score and how he's stupid for not having an agent.
Most racist fanbase in the league.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:56 pm What I do recall is there were a lot of racially discriminatory things said about Lamar. About how he wasn't very smart because of his wonderlic score and how he's stupid for not having an agent.
Neither of those 2 comments is racially discriminatory. Fail a test. People are going to think you're not very smart. Not doing well on the Wonderlic gets every player labeled as not too smart regardless of their color. Same with not hiring an agent.

And, no, I'm not going to look it up for you. I'm also not going to go 2 more pages arguing about it. That was a dumb comment.

/The End
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:35 pm
Buc2 just showed us how it's done. Tell you that you're wrong and he's right about something that was clear as day.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:42 pm
Buc2 just showed us how it's done. Tell you that you're wrong and he's right about something that was clear as day.
I didn't say that some of the people that said those things were not racist. I couldn't know that one way or the other. But those statements alone were not. Make up what you will with that.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:47 pm

I didn't say that some of the people that said those things were not racist. I couldn't know that one way or the other. But those statements alone were not. Make up what you will with that.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Don't think you don't got any on you. You bang the table for black coaches and quarterbacks with subjective points too.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:49 pm

Don't think you don't got any on you. You bang the table for black coaches and quarterbacks with subjective points too.
I bang the table on anyone who deserves it, no matter what they look like. People draw that distinction because of what I look like. If you say Lamar Jackson has had a better career than let's say Justin Herbert, no one bats an eye lash. If I say the exact same thing, People clutch pearls and say I'm playing the race game. There's a difference here.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:04 pm
_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:49 pm
I bang the table on anyone who deserves it, no matter what they look like. People draw that distinction because of what I look like. If you say Lamar Jackson has had a better career than let's say Justin Herbert, no one bats an eye lash. If I say the exact same thing, People clutch pearls and say I'm playing the race game. There's a difference here.
I read the subtext of what everyone says around here. While you are not explicit and hopelessly bigoted, you do have a bias.

I suppose some of it is natural like when we talked about transference (white kid pretends he's Brady, black kid pretends he's Jackson) but I can make a handful of examples where this kind of shit goes on.

Brock Purdy
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray
Justin Fields
Justin Herbert
The two kids on the jets
Pretty much every black QB in the draft
Pretty much every white skill position player in the draft
Jameis Winston the whole time he was here